Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

gschmidl posted:

...to use as a tourist attraction to make money, yes!

The longest of cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
you might be laughing at pyramidcoin now but in a few centuries people from all over the globe will come to see it! you'll all see!!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Spazzle posted:

The longest of cons

Well, the pharaoh's a god king, and thus all-seeing, and not just some scrub.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SatansOnion posted:

bread, beer, and onions was the part of their pay they could “take home” and use to eat or trade for stuff. also iirc the pyramid workers also got to eat a lot of beef, which was pretty good eatin’ for your Ahmose J. Public back then

source: am a dork who read a lot about ancient Egypt as a kid

that's interesting. I've also read/watched a lot about Egypt (particularly the Old Kingdom) and I don't think I've come across that beef thing, I wouldn't have thought they'd have enough beef for that many workers on a regular basis. pretty neat though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
plus it let the Egyptians change governments at the drop of a hat

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pharohman777 posted:

Basically the pyramids were the result of finding a way to employ the farm workers and such when it wasn't growing season and there was nothing for them to do if I recall correctly.

that's basically the exact opposite of ben carson's theory, pharohman777

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pharohman777 posted:

Basically the pyramids were the result of finding a way to employ the farm workers and such when it wasn't growing season and there was nothing for them to do if I recall correctly.

They were pretty much a massive public works project.

Yes, as I said, it's like in America people in jails are 'employed', because there is 'nothing for them to do' in prison, and they participate in 'public work'.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so ben carson's theory was that pyramids were a way to unemploy farmers during farming season when there was everything to do?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paladinus posted:

Yes, as I said, it's like in America people in jails are 'employed', because there is 'nothing for them to do' in prison, and they participate in 'public work'.

no, they're not counted as employed, just like old people don't count as employed for just being at home.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
also how much "public" work do they do as opposed to for-profit work? I thought it was overwhelmingly the latter

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I am sure in Egypt there was one nerd who said he did not volunteer to be a part of the state and then as he was whipped he screamed about a nap being broken... forever.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/winklevoss/status/1145685231241969664

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Paladinus posted:

Nah, it's actually more like the people at amazon warehouses are "employed", because there's "no other jobs" in that area and "everybody's gotta eat".

Which is to say, they're literally employed, but wage slavery still sucks

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

thank god the forward looking winklevii are fighting to get us off the gold standard

i also like how the only truly fixed asset in the world can have infinitely many forks and miners can vote to raise the cap

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That asteroid thing is never gonna happen because if you ever got one running you'd crater the market so fast that selling the metal wouldn't cover your up front costs. Unless you set up some sort of cartel scenario.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Little Death posted:

That asteroid thing is never gonna happen because if you ever got one running you'd crater the market so fast that selling the metal wouldn't cover your up front costs. Unless you set up some sort of cartel scenario.

once you prove you can land one, you can start extorting the world to keep you from dropping it on a major city. simple racket.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
it’s like one of my japanese animes!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Boxturret posted:

so ben carson's theory was that pyramids were a way to unemploy farmers during farming season when there was everything to do?
i preferred herman cain's pyramid theory that they were built because the pharoahs wanted to be the very best, like no-one ever was.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ben carson's theory was that the pyramids were built to store grain. a theory so dumb even donald trump was able to tear it to shreds

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Boxturret posted:

close; he theorized that farming was a way to employ pyramids when they weren't in pyramid season

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

why is anyone asking that insomniac his opinions on pyramids in the first place

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Axe-man posted:

I am sure in Egypt there was one nerd who said he did not volunteer to be a part of the state and then as he was whipped he screamed about a nap being broken... forever.

yes, except he also had an incredibly privileged background and never had to do any of the hard work he complained about himself. then he and a bunch of his followers tried to go galt and spent the next 40 years lost in the desert eating lichen

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! what is your opinion on mid 4th century chinese farming implements?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Bitcoinsnorge, an "exchange" in Norway had a sub-contractor that was hacked and on their on volition Bitcoinsnorge decided to force-sell all customers bitcoins in the market right now.

For some peculiar reason they're are only refunding the money to customers based on the price from the 7. May.

It is left to reader to calculate the difference in the price today vs. the price on the 7. May and where that difference is going...

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

refleks posted:

Bitcoinsnorge, an "exchange" in Norway had a sub-contractor that was hacked and on their on volition Bitcoinsnorge decided to force-sell all customers bitcoins in the market right now.

For some peculiar reason they're are only refunding the money to customers based on the price from the 7. May.

It is left to reader to calculate the difference in the price today vs. the price on the 7. May and where that difference is going...

This is good for bitcoinsnorge.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bitcoin snorge?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
im snorgé

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
urmom snorges like a freight train (that someone is running across the top of)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

please guys this is the bitcoin thread, there is no room for joeks about serious things like this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Buttcoin.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

fishmech posted:

once you prove you can land one, you can start extorting the world to keep you from dropping it on a major city. simple racket.

I'm going to "crater" the NYSE, if you get my drift. Unless you pay me 1 BILLION DOLLARS

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

we need the space gold so muck can build the solid gold dyson sphere of his dreams

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX8CWGa7Ldc

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

when are they counting from for computers? because I struggle to believe there were 50m computer users in like 1960, when the number of computers worldwide was 4 figures

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Soricidus posted:

when are they counting from for computers? because I struggle to believe there were 50m computer users in like 1960, when the number of computers worldwide was 4 figures

probably the Altair 8800

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Soricidus posted:

It should say personal computers.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

galaxy brain: "in the future utopia where every useful resource is available aplenty the only thing of value will be to pointlessly waste energy"

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1146077474599473152

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

starting Now