Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Great premiere. Has me pumped for the show again.

Anyone else recognize Switch as Lauren from Terrace House Aloha State? Just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they finally let bill irwin do a literal clown routine and i am here for it

e: and an extended mime scene lmao

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 2, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bill Irwin was so, so good tonight.

That was Vince Guaraldi's version of O Tannenbaum wasn't it? Interesting choice considering the other Charlie Brown song earlier in the episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Will I enjoy the season/show when it is over? I have no idea.

Did I enjoy that? gently caress yeah I did.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well that was quite a mindfuck.

the only thing that didn't sit well with me was that inexplicably a critical team member was left alone in an unguarded car, which can be forgiven due to the nature of this show but I hope plot convenience won't become a recurring thing this season.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I don't know how Aubrey Plaza can go so long without blinking. I thought maybe they had edited it but I finally saw it happen.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Aubrey Plaza was artificially created to frighten humanity into submission. Submission to whom? your guess is as good as mine.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

what was with aubrey having different voice in the mad hatter scene.
is she perhaps still farouk planning to hop back in time to defeat xavier/legion?
and how did she alone escape the net

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dark Off posted:

what was with aubrey having different voice in the mad hatter scene.
is she perhaps still farouk planning to hop back in time to defeat xavier/legion?
and how did she alone escape the net

I attributed the first one to her small ability to gently caress with people's head. That whole scene after they picked up the alchemist was super surreal and could be attributed to the psychoactive drugs or Lenny's ability to play with reality? She escaped the net because she was never around. She ran off and left the Manson family as the honey pot. It all seemed to be planned in advance.

Whether she's being controlled by Farouk remains to be seen I reckon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Ostensibly, on Legion..."

Only took me a second to recognize that first song. I love this show. This show deserves to be loved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tLpmfj53g

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 2, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Ive been working under the assumption that David has somehow invested Lenny with a portion of his power.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Man this was great, Irwin rocked this whole episode

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Daddy Mac, will, in fact, make ya “jump”.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not sure Lenny is on David's side for anything other than the power it gives her. She straight up said that she was his #2, and no one better gently caress with that.

I looked into the thread and wondering what people were talking about with Bill Irwin doing a clown routine and was wondering what you meant, then I saw it. That was fantastic. Also great scene of him and Kerri mirroring each other. Have I mentioned how much I love Amber Midthunder? I do with we could see her kicking rear end more often though.

So, this show is expensive right? Like the sets are all amazing and intricate and would have to take a lot of work to build them

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I looked into the thread and wondering what people were talking about with Bill Irwin doing a clown routine and was wondering what you meant, then I saw it. That was fantastic. Also great scene of him and Kerri mirroring each other. Have I mentioned how much I love Amber Midthunder? I do with we could see her kicking rear end more often though.

they're both so amazing in this show and i hope midthunder especially (since Irwin is pushing 70 and i don't think he has trouble doing what he wants to do at this point) gets a lot more work after this role, she's fantastic

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Kind of feel like they might have blown their load a little early with the giant shepherd's crook and the net. Not sure what cartoonish instrument they could muster to capture David that would be a step up.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The blatant Alice in Wonderland stuff all feels a little hackneyed and kind of detracts from the show's unique feel. Hopefully we don't get more trite Mad Hatter etc. references, the Legion aesthetic is strong enough to manage without them.

Otherwise I'm thoroughly enjoying everything.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm feeling a bit iffy on this second episode. I don't like watching the show as much when all the characters are bad people. I liked the introduction of Switch in the premiere because she's a fresh innocent, but the second episode didn't feature her as much so we're back to characters manipulating one another. I just want to feel like I'm on at least one person's side instead of feeling gross when David or Farouk brainwashes someone.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I'm feeling a bit iffy on this second episode. I don't like watching the show as much when all the characters are bad people. I liked the introduction of Switch in the premiere because she's a fresh innocent, but the second episode didn't feature her as much so we're back to characters manipulating one another. I just want to feel like I'm on at least one person's side instead of feeling gross when David or Farouk brainwashes someone.

How are all the characters bad people? Cary is a goddamn treasure. I enjoyed the second episode but not as much as the first, there was a lot of setup. I'm interested to see where Lenny's path leads. I would like to see another scene between the various Davids like the one in last season.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Cary is the real protagonist.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kerry, Cary, and Switch are the only pure characters on the show. Everyone else alternates between sympathetic and vile.

It's still hilarious that they're letting the Shadow King strut around after all the terrible poo poo he's done but want to straight up murder David.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Every move the Shadow King made seems carefully calculated to increase his power or to decrease David's self restraint, and now he might be given the keys to her psyche?! I'm sure this will go smoothly and without any casualties.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Codependent Poster posted:

Kerry, Cary, and Switch are the only pure characters on the show. Everyone else alternates between sympathetic and vile.

It's still hilarious that they're letting the Shadow King strut around after all the terrible poo poo he's done but want to straight up murder David.
Hilarious and annoying because I find myself rooting for David (he is ultimately the biggest victim, all things considered) while the show is trying to do everything in its power to make him the bad guy. They're probably never going to reconcile exactly how much brainwashing he ever actually did vs how much he was just reversing Farouk's fuckery. I currently have no idea how much of Syd's character (or any character in Division 3 for that matter) is actually Syd vs how much of it is Farouk's brainwashing, so none of the drama she has with David seems justified. The show makes her and all of Division 3 Farouk's mouthpiece while David is under Lenny's influence for being the only person who supports him. I can't even root for Kerry/Cary because they're also under Farouk's influence while Switch is now under Lenny-via-David's influence... and David is being haunted by the split personalities it turns out he has after all.

As far as I can tell, Lenny is literally the only person who isn't possibly under someone else's influence which itself is also probably wrong because she has David's sister haunting her and was created by Farouk.

Honestly all of this would be great for like a 2 or 3 episode stint but an entire season of nobody acting of their own volition means I'm enjoying this show as an art piece and not as a TV show trying to convey a story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vernacular posted:

The blatant Alice in Wonderland stuff all feels a little hackneyed and kind of detracts from the show's unique feel. Hopefully we don't get more trite Mad Hatter etc. references, the Legion aesthetic is strong enough to manage without them.

Otherwise I'm thoroughly enjoying everything.

Yea, I hope that's the only time we see it. I've said many times, mostly in Batman related threads where the Mad Hatter is featured, that making Alice In Wonderland referances, either subtle or blatant, when things get weird is really hackneyed and lazy writing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't think anyone in Division 3 is currently being mindcontrolled by Farouk. If they were they wouldn't do stuff like blatantly ignore his warnings about Switch or talk back to him and refuse his ideas like Syd did. They all seem to be acting under their own volition so far.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Faruk is far too smart to poo poo where he eats so to speak, Division 3 are a few steps behind when it comes to Psy-war, but they have enough people to balance it out.
Also Cary worked on their tech for a while, they should be much better equipped than in season 1.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
A well-developed aspect of Farouk’s character is that he enjoys the gamesmanship and artistry surrounding the use of his powers. E.g his “what’s the fun in that?” remark. Despite having poisoned David for most of his life, there is still some reason to buy that he wouldn’t always just deus ex machina his way through his social interactions, unlike David honestly, for whom -not- mind controlling people is beginning to look like the exception rather than the rule.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Vernacular posted:

A well-developed aspect of Farouk’s character is that he enjoys the gamesmanship and artistry surrounding the use of his powers. E.g his “what’s the fun in that?” remark.
Whether he's being direct with his powers or passive by using as little of his power as possible for fun, I'd still consider the entire Division 3 group to be acting under false pretenses Farouk set up for them.

Nephthys posted:

I don't think anyone in Division 3 is currently being mindcontrolled by Farouk. If they were they wouldn't do stuff like blatantly ignore his warnings about Switch or talk back to him and refuse his ideas like Syd did. They all seem to be acting under their own volition so far.
Farouk is still the 2,000 year old Shadow King who they are allowing to hang around purely because they believe, with extremely thin proof and extremely thick Farouk suggestion, David might end the world. Even if you thought you'd need this extreme shield to combat an extreme sword, you'd still put it under lock and key until you needed it, not let it chill out wherever it pleased.

The two times they managed to kill David, Farouk wasn't even necessary to have around. That sorta already proves how pointless it is to let him be as free as they have.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

One of the things that make faruk a global menace is just how personally charming and unassuming he can be.
He has been working people and insinuating himself into things for so long that it becomes impossible to tell where your plans end and the Shadow King begins.

And all that before he even reaches into your mind.

Like a well dressed strategic atomic bomber who never frowns.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I assume that Farouk is influencing Division 3 in a subtle way, perhaps by magnifying their actual fears about David and downplaying any they would have about Farouk being allowed to go free.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I guess another perspective of why this show is more fun to watch but not as fun to pay attention to is the fact that I personally despise characters that do not communicate a simple fact in order to allow the miscommunications between them be the cause of further conflict. Particularly, in this show's case, is the fact that David never actually communicates to Division 3 "Farouk is free, you understand his power, thus you should understand he is influencing you." This is a thing he knows for a fact because he had to reverse Farouk's influence. This is a thing Division 3 knows could happen. I don't expect it to fix anything if he says it but it's always nice to know he tried. Without it, it just feels like sloppy writing and poor character building. It's why I always appreciate those moments in media where one character questions something another character said or did and I audibly go "yeah, why that?!" Not enough writing is smart enough to do that.

This is bad, I'm getting ranty. I'm still gonna watch the rest of this show and love it because it's very entertaining. I'm just done hoping they'll make it feel like any character earned anything they got.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DaveKap posted:

I guess another perspective of why this show is more fun to watch but not as fun to pay attention to is the fact that I personally despise characters that do not communicate a simple fact in order to allow the miscommunications between them be the cause of further conflict. Particularly, in this show's case, is the fact that David never actually communicates to Division 3 "Farouk is free, you understand his power, thus you should understand he is influencing you." This is a thing he knows for a fact because he had to reverse Farouk's influence. This is a thing Division 3 knows could happen. I don't expect it to fix anything if he says it but it's always nice to know he tried. Without it, it just feels like sloppy writing and poor character building. It's why I always appreciate those moments in media where one character questions something another character said or did and I audibly go "yeah, why that?!" Not enough writing is smart enough to do that.

This is bad, I'm getting ranty. I'm still gonna watch the rest of this show and love it because it's very entertaining. I'm just done hoping they'll make it feel like any character earned anything they got.

I just assumed all that happened off-camera.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DaveKap posted:

Nah, you're right, you articulated everything I'm feeling about the show in your last few posts.

I also am kinda over seeing the same "everybody's getting high, let's play a 60s era song while people sway like hippies and smoke blows in the camera" scenes. They've repeated it many times in the series and each time it takes like 2-minute chunks out of the show for no reason.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Didn't David try to accuse everyone in the trial of being under Farouks control and they denied it or something? I thought it had been raised at least.

JazzFlight posted:

I also am kinda over seeing the same "everybody's getting high, let's play a 60s era song while people sway like hippies and smoke blows in the camera" scenes. They've repeated it many times in the series and each time it takes like 2-minute chunks out of the show for no reason.

God, same. The drug use is getting almost fetishisistic now and is makes me super uncomfortable.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Whether he's being direct with his powers or passive by using as little of his power as possible for fun, I'd still consider the entire Division 3 group to be acting under false pretenses Farouk set up for them.

Farouk is still the 2,000 year old Shadow King who they are allowing to hang around purely because they believe, with extremely thin proof and extremely thick Farouk suggestion, David might end the world. Even if you thought you'd need this extreme shield to combat an extreme sword, you'd still put it under lock and key until you needed it, not let it chill out wherever it pleased.

The two times they managed to kill David, Farouk wasn't even necessary to have around. That sorta already proves how pointless it is to let him be as free as they have.

That's quite the leap given the show seems to specifically be trying to blur the lines and leave it to the viewer to interpret or answer later. I can't recall any point where the show explicitly states that anyone is under Farouk's control in the present. I think the closest we get is him manipulating Syd into thinking that David has already turned villain but it's still not clear if any psychic powers were involved. I honestly don't think there was for a couple reasons:
1. I think Farouk is smart enough to know he might get caught if he blatantly uses his powers to manipulate her and why take the chance if it's not necessary
2. I think Farouk would find it more gratifying to pull the puppet strings simply with his words, speaks to the gamesmanship someone else noted

I can understand getting frustrated with the blurred lines and not having a clear protagonist/antagonist dynamic but I feel like you might be mistaking that for poor writing which i don't think is fair.

Another thing to remember is that there is no evidence Farouk is that old outside of him telling us that he is. I believe Division 3 stated they have evidence of him in the 18th century? If I recall they even remark on how legends grow and it's unlikely he's some ancient powerful entity.

The two times they managed to kill David the Shadow King was there, just because he didn't land the killing blow doesn't mean he wasn't needed. In fact the second instance he is the distraction that allows Syd to get the shot.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Corte posted:

That's quite the leap given the show seems to specifically be trying to blur the lines and leave it to the viewer to interpret or answer later. I can't recall any point where the show explicitly states that anyone is under Farouk's control in the present. I think the closest we get is him manipulating Syd into thinking that David has already turned villain but it's still not clear if any psychic powers were involved. I honestly don't think there was for a couple reasons:
1. I think Farouk is smart enough to know he might get caught if he blatantly uses his powers to manipulate her and why take the chance if it's not necessary
2. I think Farouk would find it more gratifying to pull the puppet strings simply with his words, speaks to the gamesmanship someone else noted

I can understand getting frustrated with the blurred lines and not having a clear protagonist/antagonist dynamic but I feel like you might be mistaking that for poor writing which i don't think is fair.

Another thing to remember is that there is no evidence Farouk is that old outside of him telling us that he is. I believe Division 3 stated they have evidence of him in the 18th century? If I recall they even remark on how legends grow and it's unlikely he's some ancient powerful entity.

The two times they managed to kill David the Shadow King was there, just because he didn't land the killing blow doesn't mean he wasn't needed. In fact the second instance he is the distraction that allows Syd to get the shot.
Didn't season 2's finale explicitly show Farouk's rats scurrying around division 3 planting suggestions? It's not a stretch to see the entire organization as hopelessly compromised, with Farouk continuing to pull strings.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Didn't season 2's finale explicitly show Farouk's rats scurrying around division 3 planting suggestions? It's not a stretch to see the entire organization as hopelessly compromised, with Farouk continuing to pull strings.

Here are the scenes after David confronts Farouk in his cell:
- Baskethead is looking at cameras and sees Syd having psychic sex stating she loves David
- Cary recreates the scene and sees David mess with Syd's memories stating "it's treachery"
- There is a short on Farouk's crown which allows him to whisper a message to a rodent
- David is telepathically watching over Syd then fades away, rodent climbs up and shares Farouk's message
- Title card: Chapter Twelve: Trial of the Shadow King
In the end what is the sound of truth?
Waves on a beach, the laugh of a child.
Or perhaps there are competing truths.
The truth of the mind, the truth of the heart.
If all the apples are bruised, it is the unbruised apple that is bad,
the sane man who’s crazy.
For what is normal is that upon which nine wise men can agree,
leaving the tenth to swing from a hangman’s rope.

I think that's vague enough that it's not clear what exactly Farouk did and whether it was psychic manipulation or just informing Syd of the facts. I think given the rest of the show anything is possible. Honestly it's part of what I love about Legion, it's not a static or binary, but I can see how that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

One thing I noticed in David's house was the use of nests as furniture or bedding for his followers which I thought was a nice touch given the theme of delusions and eggs from last season.

Levin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 3, 2019

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Corte posted:

Here are the scenes after David confronts Farouk in his cell:
- Baskethead is looking at cameras and sees Syd having psychic sex stating she loves David
- Cary recreates the scene and sees David mess with Syd's memories stating "it's treachery"
- There is a short on Farouk's crown which allows him to whisper a message to a rodent
- David is telepathically watching over Syd then fades away, rodent climbs up and shares Farouk's message
- Title card: Chapter Twelve: Trial of the Shadow King
In the end what is the sound of truth?
Waves on a beach, the laugh of a child.
Or perhaps there are competing truths.
The truth of the mind, the truth of the heart.
If all the apples are bruised, it is the unbruised apple that is bad,
the sane man who’s crazy.
For what is normal is that upon which nine wise men can agree,
leaving the tenth to swing from a hangman’s rope.

I think that's vague enough that it's not clear what exactly Farouk did and whether it was psychic manipulation or just informing Syd of the facts. I think given the rest of the show anything is possible. Honestly it's part of what I love about Legion, it's not a static or binary, but I can see how that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

One thing I noticed in David's house was the use of nests as furniture or bedding for his followers which I thought was a nice touch given the theme of delusions and eggs from last season.
"Ostensibly, on Legion...." It really isn't like anything else on TV, and I think I'm going to rewatch that finale.

Had the same thought w/respect to the nests, which were a great touch.

Edit: there's actually an interesting issue w/regard to Syd and Farouk, and the idea of delivering "facts" stripped of context, and how the framing of said facts creates a perceived reality. My assumption while watching season 2 was that Farouk wasn't so much engaged in psychic fuckery when he informed Syd of David's torture of a mutual colleague, but was instead engaged in good-old fashioned brainwashing of the type that is presently being employed in the real world in, for example, the Xinjiang camps.

Edit 2: edited edit 1 for clarity.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 3, 2019

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I personally don't think there's a need for Farouk to be influencing anyone yet. They all have a legitimate reason to want to take David down so it's much better to keep working with them than risk it by trying to do something shady. Likewise there wasn't a need for him to mentally turn them against him for the trial, David did that by himself and all he had to do was point it out to them. David DID take advantage of Syd. Farouk didn't make him do it or make her react to it like she did and he didn't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Hilarious and annoying because I find myself rooting for David (he is ultimately the biggest victim, all things considered) while the show is trying to do everything in its power to make him the bad guy. They're probably never going to reconcile exactly how much brainwashing he ever actually did vs how much he was just reversing Farouk's fuckery. I currently have no idea how much of Syd's character (or any character in Division 3 for that matter) is actually Syd vs how much of it is Farouk's brainwashing, so none of the drama she has with David seems justified. The show makes her and all of Division 3 Farouk's mouthpiece while David is under Lenny's influence for being the only person who supports him. I can't even root for Kerry/Cary because they're also under Farouk's influence while Switch is now under Lenny-via-David's influence... and David is being haunted by the split personalities it turns out he has after all.

As far as I can tell, Lenny is literally the only person who isn't possibly under someone else's influence which itself is also probably wrong because she has David's sister haunting her and was created by Farouk.

We literally saw David using his powers to manipulate Lenny when he forced her to feel happy and go eat so he could talk to Switch alone. Now, obviously he hasn't brainwashed her enough to prevent her from feeling jealous over Switch and question his motives, but she is far from free of being supernaturally influenced.

I'll grant that the show has given little reason to trust Farouk, but it's given plenty of reasons not to trust David. The guy has set up a cult of drug addicted young women who's religious symbol is a vagina. He's created a literal virgin birth for no other reason than to play God. He's become a blatant metaphor for white male privilege, holding all the power he gained through quirk of birth, but unable to fully see the damage it's caused except for where it has harmed him. Sure, he's as much a victim for what Farouk did to him, but that in no way excuses him perpetrating that abuse on others.