Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think someone was asking for a dry bones shell gimmick in here earlier and I just noticed if you do the collapse move, desert winds will still blow you around. You can go roughly two large thwomp widths before you pop back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I'm back on my bullshit and made a longform themed level that pushed the part limits to their boundaries. I even got to experience the frustrating subplatform placement issue where they start disappearing! Just like Mario Maker 1. Good times :downs:

Rusting Rotted Shroomworks: 7JR-74F-7QF

I hadn't seen many people utilize the rotten shroom so I made a level based around it. I always enjoyed making longer levels with a little narrative in MM1, so I tried to do that here. The quality of those levels always varied wildly though so I dunno if this will actually be enjoyable. I tried my hardest though!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

I'll be streaming viewer levels for like, an hour, maybe a more? Feel free to come watch. I make no promises to beat your level as I'm bad, but I'll definitely try it!

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

Thanks to everyone who watched! I had I think 14 people at one point. :) It was a lot of fun!!!

I think I will try to make this pretty regular.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I present the Whole Mole Knoll Hole. You can only make progress by unleashing the moles.

All of them.

57Y-8X3-NRG

It's short, it's sweet, and the faster you go, the easier it is.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I took heed of your suggestions and made some modifications.

Here's Don't Warp Desert
Y3K 6LB JKF

I changed some sound cues to be more instructive, modified the pipe section and the banzai bills.

This replaces
Warp Box Bad Desert
HGD TR1 J1G
which I had to delete to upload the new version.

I'll say that the coin path with the pick a pipe is a great way to coax players into finding out what path to take. Bringing the players into the pipes definitely adds a touch of claustrophobia and tension to the decision making process. I dig the castle beyond the Bills. It flips it from a moment of "gotta get back to the pipe" to "oh neat, a sweet castle also let's follow these to the red arrow." The Thwomp wrecking the car is still probably my favorite part because it's a great way to force a car lots and it's metal as gently caress.

The main criticisms I have revolve around the key = bad mechanic. When you get to the end of the conveyors, most players will be curious to see what happens when the bomb blows up, which will grants the a key despite knowing that key = bad. It's a mechanical equivalent of a troll block. After searing the lesson of key = bad further, there is still the off putting key = good ending.

Final score: burger at a barbeque :thumbsup:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Made my second level today!

Freezy-Scorchy Land
W2H-14M-VCG

Travel between two linked worlds. In Freezy Land, ice provides platforms, but it can also block your path at times. In Scorchy Land, the platforming may be easier without that slippery ice, but the locals are considerably more hostile.

This is shorter and a bit easier than my first level from yesterday, but it took longer to make. The difficulty ramps up a bit after the checkpoint.

Trying to make more "thematic" levels with a bit of exploration.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 2, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I'm back on my bullshit and made a longform themed level that pushed the part limits to their boundaries. I even got to experience the frustrating subplatform placement issue where they start disappearing! Just like Mario Maker 1. Good times :downs:

I hadn't seen many people utilize the rotten shroom so I made a level based around it. I always enjoyed making longer levels with a little narrative in MM1, so I tried to do that here. The quality of those levels always varied wildly though so I dunno if this will actually be enjoyable. I tried my hardest though!

Oh, hey, good to see you back. I loved your Mario Maker 1 levels, and can't wait to play your new stuff.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Fast approaching #100, when I get there I'll post my top 10 of those.
Gentle Snowy Slopes F3F-G25-3KF
Good use of coins and powerups. I thought the ? under the bridge wouldn't be worth it, I was wrong! good stuff!
path of skull 2Q5-2HM-7VF
Hammer Bros are usually a bad choice, as the RNG is dumb, for example, one time one jumped on the Skull platform. At least you gave us a mushroom for what was effectively the forced hit. The Thwomps were fine.
Snowtop Summit 51Q-4P2-JBG
I don't see any reason for the red mushrooms to require a running jump to get the height to land on, but overall good level, powerups and checkpoints and bonus challenges, oh boy!. Big goomba was a bit iffy.
Pesky Pipes TYT-WGQ-TJG
Level is fine, bonus objectives are always appreciated.
Blinking Blast 3B3-81Y-4FF
The walljump portion coming close enough to crush Mario was not needed, but overall good.
Climbing The Bouncy Tree KML-FG7-WDG
At first I was annoyed by the pinball section, but there was a checkpoint, then the level was over. Fun.
Bombs in the Clouds KFR-K84-X0H
The fact that falls don't result in death, makes up for the amount of enemies and bullets coming at you.
5 Red Coins in the Ghost House K13-LGF-VKF
I really appreciate the checkpoints, spinjump area was starting to wear out its welcome though.
Ruinous Ruin TT5-Q6W-VNF
It would have been nice is there was a "safe" sliding portion before the slope, as siding don slopes that way in sm1 style is unintuitive, other that that, have you seen these gains bra?
The Wetland Warlords MSQ - 4PQ - T1H
I wanted to check out the secrets and things, but the level began to annoy me. Maybe 1 less koopa to fight?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I made it, but now I can't look at mushrooms without developing anxiety.

Great level, great theme. You definitely have a knack for suspense. The grabbers can be a little... spontaneous, at times. Also, why are those chain chomps so long? :gonk:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I tried one of your levels tonight March of the Ant Hill

Really fun!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NofrikinfuN posted:

I made it, but now I can't look at mushrooms without developing anxiety.

Great level, great theme. You definitely have a knack for suspense. The grabbers can be a little... spontaneous, at times. Also, why are those chain chomps so long? :gonk:

Thank you! But yeah, I have no clue what to deal is with chomps in this game. Their chain feels like twice as long as it was in MM1 and there's no way to adjust it. There's some other minor differences between MM1 enemies and their MM2 incarnations, and I'm not a fan of some of em.

Rollersnake posted:

Oh, hey, good to see you back. I loved your Mario Maker 1 levels, and can't wait to play your new stuff.

Wow, that's really flattering!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Tnega posted:

Fast approaching #100, when I get there I'll post my top 10 of those.

Loving these review posts, you're a Mario machine.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Thank you! But yeah, I have no clue what to deal is with chomps in this game. Their chain feels like twice as long as it was in MM1 and there's no way to adjust it. There's some other minor differences between MM1 enemies and their MM2 incarnations, and I'm not a fan of some of em.

Wow, that's really flattering!

After testing, the long chains are a night effect of the theme you chose. Weird!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NofrikinfuN posted:

After testing, the long chains are a night effect of the theme you chose. Weird!

The concept of the ground night time theme seems to be "everything hates you".

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I spent literally all day making this level and touching it up. Any comments on it would be dearly loved cause man I'm legit really really proud of it.

Some new ruins were recently discovered and Mario's been asked to investigate. Turns out some of Bowsers minions have already started setting up there! Use their equipment to dig deeper into the caves and report back to Peach when you're done!

The Wrecking Ruins

This was really well put together. I like the visual storytelling that people can people can do in this game. I wish they let you add a little more text to the description, though. I don't suppose there's any way of adding text within the level itself?

This one was also great storytelling:

Dork457 posted:

arrite boys strap in for a bone chilling NARRATIVE focused mario maker 2 level!!

This one was a lot of fun:

Internet Kraken posted:

You're right. I kind of wanted players to go slowly at times to take caution of the spikes but the time limit kind of urges you to hurry at others. I shouldn't of messed with it.

Wah, I hate when you upload a level and wanna change one thing but don't want to delete it.

EDIT: Heck, I decided to just reupload it.

Skewering Sand Dunes: 5R1-VGM-Q6G

Its a level with sand dunes! And spikes! Giant spikes impaling you viciously. I got an idea of the skewers erupting out of the sand like giant worms and had to try making a level based around it.

Also if any of you have feedback on making traditional style levels better I'm open to it. I think with Mario Maker I'm good with aesthetics and, uh, no much else.

(I'm sure there are a lot of other great levels that I missed. This thread moves so fast!)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I kind of wish I could see the boos to likes ratio of my levels...

acems
May 8, 2019

Hi everyone!

I just made my first course. It’s called Cannonball Hops; you hop along some cannon balls while an angry sun chases you.

I’d love some feedback as this was a ton of fun to create. I never thought I’d add an auto scroller to the world, but here we are.

The ID is HV0-JHY-47G.

Thanks for any feedback :kiddo:

acems fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 2, 2019

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm having a heck of a time with this switch jam, I've got a contraption that shoots a beetle shell to trigger a series of switches followed by some springs that loops the activity. I need some way for the player to stop the loop but I can't figure out how.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

is there any way to search for levels that are specifically designed to be done with more than 1 player (in co-op)?

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
I am getting my feet wet again after four years.

I made two starter levels, I loved making levels for the original Mario Maker but it seems I stopped making them before they added the cool stuff like red key coins, crap they didn't have the save flag back when I made my first 10 levels.

So here goes Mario Maker 2 levels with some new concepts but I guess I am still a bit old school in my concepts, I am working on some longer levels now.

Space Battle: CVF-0BL-7KF

This is a shoot em up concept in space, the the goal is to reach the end while defeating a set number of goombas.

Coin Catch: 3LT-HST-0VG

This is a seesaw level where enemies are raining down on you, the goal is to get a set number of coins while staying alive to the end

Hope you enjoy these, I am really looking forward to making some more complex levels using keys and key coins though!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

acems posted:

Hi everyone!

I just made my first course. It’s called Cannonball Hops; you hop along some cannon balls while an angry sun chases you.

I’d love some feedback as this was a ton of fun to create. I never thought I’d add an auto scroller to the world, but here we are.

The ID is HV0-JHY-47G.

Thanks for any feedback :kiddo:

The cannon layouts were decent enough but I feel like you should have kept from using the top half of the stage so the camera would have stayed locked. As it was the autoscroll didn't really work well with the layout of the stage. My first death I tried to take the hidden vine up but that just kind of screwed me over with the stage scrolling and me having no idea where to land. The angry sun might have been a little overkill as well.

Pakled posted:

Made my second level today!

Freezy-Scorchy Land
W2H-14M-VCG

Travel between two linked worlds. In Freezy Land, ice provides platforms, but it can also block your path at times. In Scorchy Land, the platforming may be easier without that slippery ice, but the locals are considerably more hostile.

This is shorter and a bit easier than my first level from yesterday, but it took longer to make. The difficulty ramps up a bit after the checkpoint.

Trying to make more "thematic" levels with a bit of exploration.

I like stages with this sort of two-worlds gimmick. The last bit in the winter section got a little hairy but nothing that could stop me from getting a clear on the first try.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 2, 2019

Aronodachi
Mar 27, 2010
Don't P In The Pool
H4T-SXS-G5G

Dumb level built around a dumb name. It's a water level where the object is to avoid hitting P switches.
It's the first level I've made and I tried to make something that would be cool to play in endless.
It's not super hard and if you go out of the obvious path there's a nice amount of 1ups, power ups and coins.
Would be into any feedback.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not sure why exactly but I’m enjoying the NSMBU theme in this game a lot more than in 1.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

DarkLich posted:

Loving these review posts, you're a Mario machine.

Thank you for the encouragement everyone, I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so this is my life now.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I got a couple new ones.

First one I made with friends. It's about the newest hottest trend: Drinking too many White Claw Hard Seltzers and pretending it's healthy!

It's mostly about having fun with claws and diving into refreshing beverages for key parts. We were up until 1:30am yesterday finishing it, so we forgot to add things like "coins" and "powerups"

Also, making levels with friends is fun with the two controller mode, even though P2 seems to have problems editing the edges and you have to use Joy-Cons for some reason

No Laws, White Claws!
FR9-708PCG

And here's my new solo project. This dusty old tomb contains lost treasures. But only the worthy escape! (Also I guess you can't use the word "Great" in level descriptions?)

The Sunken Tomb
TKC-1W8-QJF

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

RLJ-50R-V0G

experimenting with the poison rotten shrooms

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing about everyones levels are that even if I can't beat them, they are fair, and fun, and usually teach you about whats expected before throwing you in the deep end

excellent job goons

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

I kind of wish I could see the boos to likes ratio of my levels...

I kind of do too, but at the same time it would be demoralizing for most people. Plus I highly doubt boos do much of anything outside of two cases; filtering levels for multiplayer and weeding out extreme edges of truly awful levels that get boo'd into oblivion.

Speaking of multiplayer, it sure is fun when it works. Too bad a lot of the time time it doesn't :geno:

https://twitter.com/Web_Kraken/status/1145775991224033280

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GigaPeon posted:

No Laws, White Claws!
FR9-708PCG

The Sunken Tomb
TKC-1W8-QJF

Both were good. That last coin room in the claw level was tense. Not sure if I missed a power up somewhere but I was really wishing for one at that point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm envious of people that can use the NSMBU style. I used it once out of sheer obligations but now that 3D World is in the game with actual models I can't be assed to look at absurdly low FPS magikoopas or whatever.

It's also why things don't stack in 3D World if you were wondering. NSMBU uses sprites with low framerates and not actual models so it can have a lot more goofy poo poo going on. 3D World is all models so I figured that's why you can't stack as they all have way more complex animations/lighting/etc.
I can't believe if you pause on Boom Boom he still has his cartoon-y smear animations for his fists when he's spinning. It's so drat good looking.

DorianGravy posted:

This was really well put together. I like the visual storytelling that people can people can do in this game. I wish they let you add a little more text to the description, though. I don't suppose there's any way of adding text within the level itself?

Thanks! And sadly no, the 75 character limit is kinda restricting. If you want to put any writing in the level you either have to
A: Spell things out in coins
(or)
B: Leave comments here and there and hope the player doesn't have them turned off.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 2, 2019

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

J-Spot posted:

Both were good. That last coin room in the claw level was tense. Not sure if I missed a power up somewhere but I was really wishing for one at that point.

Thanks! My buddy is meaner than me. It was a minor victory of mine to get that mushroom into the boss room.

We also booted up Mario Maker 1 to see our old levels. Man, I was a lovely bastard back then. Kaizo blocks, doors over pits, thwomps over doors... Every lovely trick in the book.

Also, what's the tool you guys are using to get the image with the Level ID on it?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GigaPeon posted:

Also, what's the tool you guys are using to get the image with the Level ID on it?
Just the photo button on the switch. Go into your album and then select to add text.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Finally got to play the game, played Dieting Hippo's SMB3 send up of big vs small, and played some Story Mode.

I LOVED that the level named "The Keymaster" was a ghost level. :swoon:

You goons have the tools, and you have the talent. It's 'Millah' time!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finally getting time to play this after getting it on Friday. Is the multiplayer jittery poo poo for anyone else, or is it just that my internet is gabage? It's a 100mbit connection so I figured it shouldn't have that much trouble keeping track of 4 jumping marios.

Hmm, guess so.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

raditts posted:

Finally getting time to play this after getting it on Friday. Is the multiplayer jittery poo poo for anyone else, or is it just that my internet is gabage? It's a 100mbit connection so I figured it shouldn't have that much trouble keeping track of 4 jumping marios.

Its like that for everyone. Some matches run fine, other times its literally unplayable. Surprise surprise, Nintendo half-assed their online again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone taught me about https://randomactsofmario.com/

it owns

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

raditts posted:

Hmm, guess so.

I'm pretty sure if one person has a bad connection it ruins it for everybody. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm tired and had the random realization that Luigi is some kind of god in the mario-verse. If you gently caress up too many times in a level in story mode and game over he's just like "Yeah I'll just beat it for you" and he goes on to clear it first try.

What if he did that for online levels. Luigi just like, one shotting every bullshit kaizo super hard course on nothing but sight reads and skill. What is Luigi's power level when he's not being controlled by a mere human

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm tired and had the random realization that Luigi is some kind of god in the mario-verse. If you gently caress up too many times in a level in story mode and game over he's just like "Yeah I'll just beat it for you" and he goes on to clear it first try.

What if he did that for online levels. Luigi just like, one shotting every bullshit kaizo super hard course on nothing but sight reads and skill. What is Luigi's power level when he's not being controlled by a mere human

Luigi cannot fail, he can only be failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Playing a horrible level in endless called "dont think u have time for this." Entered a vertical subarea and have spent the last few minutes traveling through a series of end to end clear pipes. Can't wait to boo the gently caress out of this.

Speaking of boos, apparently they lower your maker score. Also, deleting uploaded courses will raise or lower your maker score based on if it had more likes or boos.