Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

played Dieting Hippo's SMB3 send up of big vs small

That wasn't me but I wish it was! That one is Giant Jumble (H2V-FXR-1KG) by ThisIsACoolGuy. I just had a blast running through it as fast as possible.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm tired and had the random realization that Luigi is some kind of god in the mario-verse. If you gently caress up too many times in a level in story mode and game over he's just like "Yeah I'll just beat it for you" and he goes on to clear it first try.

What if he did that for online levels. Luigi just like, one shotting every bullshit kaizo super hard course on nothing but sight reads and skill. What is Luigi's power level when he's not being controlled by a mere human

They could actually implement this as a feature by recording the upload playthrough. It would be kind of neat, seeing how the serious rear end in a top hat levels work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Okay I played all of the Jam levels so far, here's my feedback.

Mildstar
RBX-WTN-V3G
Defenestrategy

Oh god, it's not mild enough for me. I didn't beat it. I got stuck on the (first?) part with the grinders, although you can prespawn the lower grinder if you know about it so I could probably cheese it.
I'm not sure someone of my skill level can speak to this properly. There were some weird timing issues, like if you jump off the first cloud without triggering the block the second cloud will ride off before you even see it.

Ski Lift Shutdown
YCF-BQB-4YF
Phantasium

I didn't beat it. I can't get past the part where you have to jump on top of the block. The variety of timing was very punishing, first you have to go slow and later you have to go fast.
The theme was interesting, I wish I had gotten further to see if it was going somewhere.

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF
ThisIsACoolGuy

The puzzles were good but straight forward, I kept thinking I was going to fail at the P-switch run but didn't. I couldn't beat it because I couldn't handle the spin jump section.
Great idea for a level.

Jungle Jinks
5YG-FPM-PMF
The Lobster

Nice and laid back, I mean I guess there's a boss, I beat it in one shot. Some of the walkways were tight if you were super sized, especially before Boom Boom who kind of got lodged in the entry way, I'd put the entrance to that area higher up so he can't block it.

Retro Switch Medley
9PW-489-WQF
jivjov

I died once before beating it because I am bad at game. Pretty common theme, I feel like it could have been taken a bit further. I liked the joycons. I found the secret area on my second playthrough, that was cute.

Menacing Magikoopas from Mars
9TW-RGF-JWG
Suspicious_Cook

Great theme, excellent use of sound effects in the dark area. I found the pits a bit unfair in that second section, first I didn't realize I was at the bottom of the level, then I stepped right in the first pit once I had all the coins. I definitely died the most in the second section, one in the first and once in the third.

Thwack-a-Thwomp
MVM-VFX-S0G
Flint_Paper

Good level idea. I appreciate the powerups too. It certainly fits the short and sweet tag.

OrbHurler
C4X-R78-YQF
Plebian Parasite

Real fun concept, I think this could be taken a lot further too. The difficulty in the minigames was a little uneven, the diagonal one was pretty impossible for me. I liked realizing that I didn't know where the exit is, I'm not sure whether that will be a common reaction, think about whether you feel the timer is at a good value. I did beat it in one try.

Switching it Up, Mario Style
TYW-G34-WVF
Lugaloco

I'm real bad at wall jumping, but I beat this eventually. I feel like the description oversold the theme, I guess I was expecting the koopa's to revolt after Mario inadvertently killed them at the beginning of the level.
I was actually a bit disappointed by how straight forward the challenges were, I guess that's goon sensibility for you.

hit all the switches
5RT-JH9-Q4G
Pocky in my pocket

This was pretty fun, although I didn't beat it, so I can mainly only comment on the first half. I'd use autolifts and have the player dropped onto them using a door since you can ruin the level by hesistating to start all of the lifts, although I suppose this is the kind of level where you are supposed to reply it. Did you know that you can change the on-off switch by butt stomping it? You can cheese the first part pretty hard that way.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Missed out on MM1, and I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on this one. Game is so, so good.

Really enjoying many of the levels from this thread - that Zelda dungeon idea was super creative!

After hitting up endless mode for a few days, finally got around to actually making some Marios and would love some feedback on my first level:

Hanging Gardens
91Y-BQ0-9BG

Hid a few secrets in this Hanging Gardens of Babylon vine-themed level. Face off against three plagues as you ascend the ancient sky ruins.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm tired and had the random realization that Luigi is some kind of god in the mario-verse. If you gently caress up too many times in a level in story mode and game over he's just like "Yeah I'll just beat it for you" and he goes on to clear it first try.

What if he did that for online levels. Luigi just like, one shotting every bullshit kaizo super hard course on nothing but sight reads and skill. What is Luigi's power level when he's not being controlled by a mere human

Luigi beats all levels by doing what he does best:
Absolutely Nothing.

Also, if I wanted to do another pass on a level I've uploaded, I'll have to reupload it and get a new code and stuff right? And re-enter it into the Spreadsheet thing?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally finished this one. It has a lot of contraptions in it which took me a while to decide how to implement. It's also my jam level:

Piranha Plant Plant
YR9-906-XYG

Now to catch up on the goon levels posted today.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Multiplayer is magical when it works :allears:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

eonwe posted:

Someone taught me about https://randomactsofmario.com/

it owns

I'm glad everyone seems to like it!

I'm thinking about adding a button to display all the levels with a "seen" button so you can manually mark the ones you've already played. Yea or nay? (I'm worried it'd remove the "randomizer" aspect of it)

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 2, 2019

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Squeaker's Gulch
747-VQJ-HXF

A heavy narrative adventure about infiltrating the Pipsqueak Gang's base! Can Mario defeat the nefarious Big Cheese? This is another Normal difficulty level, this time themed around breaking into a bad guy's turf but they're all a little adorably stupid. :3:

Spoiler for after clearing: Was really fun to design a course that rewards maintaining a power up or using an alternative if you do not. It's also really fun to design boss fights that aren't vanilla fights OR heinous bullshit. I had to adjust the platform spacing about a dozen times for things like "It's really boring if I can't hit Pom Pom when I can reach her" and "does anything happen if the Bully knocks you off now?"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I'm thinking about adding a button to display all the levels with a "seen" button so you can manually mark the ones you've already played. Yea or nay? (I'm worried it'd remove the "randomizer" aspect of it)

Randomization is just a tool to avoid freezing up at deciding which level to play, its way better to serve up unplayed levels than it is to ensure the purity of randomness or whatever

e: Also this is unrelated but it would be cool to see levels weighted to be pulled at a higher chance if the randomizer doesnt have any record of it being pulled. It would help new levels get into the endless rotation without relying on people trawling this thread to play things as they appear

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 2, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lunar detritus posted:

Seems like its an optional thing, so ultimately, the people who want pure random can have that, and the people who want to do "seen" can have that

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Finished my first level for the new game earlier.

Trapped in the Wizard's Archives
9MJ-5WY-47G

Metroidvania/Bloodstained inspired exploration based level. I set a long timer on this one, and something funny will usually happen at the end. (as long as Magikoopa zaps a spell at the right object)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is anyone else already completely sick of on/off switches

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

So after my stage Dry Bone's Desert had a 6% winrate with over 100 tries, I figured something might off (it wasn't supposed to be that hard) and I gave it a new pass. The new code for it is:
5YS-J8R-20G

It's a Desert NSMBU level with an emphasis on Seesaws and (you guessed it) Dry Bones, with a good amount of secrets and bonus objectives.
Also if someone could update the entry on the Spreadsheet I had for it with the new codes you would just amazing in so many ways.

edit: I learned how to do thumnails, thanks burner Twitter account!

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay, so playing some random goon levels again. Also, every level I play is now getting a crappy MSPaint doodle comment because no one was using those (it desperately needs a flood fill...):

what a rotten night am i rite
RLJ-50R-V0G
By: Crusader

Being chased by poison mushrooms is a good germ of an idea, but this course felt a bit sparse.

Mushroom Terrace
91P-B27-4RG
By: Main Paineframe

Well, that was as low-stress as they come. Still had a nice layout and enemy placement.

Space Battle
CVF-0BL-7KF
By: dbhjed

Doing a shooter stage with the clown car was a thing that was cool one time. Now I need to see something really special with it for me to be interested.

8-3's Revenge
DYS-F6C-GGF
By: nrook

Hammer bros can be pretty tricky with their random movements and I think the first half of your stage set the player up well to deal with them. The second half, on the other hand required that players get good at hammers.

Father Son Fortress
CS4-QYT-VLG
By: TVs Ian

The boss fights were kind of clunky but everything else in the stage was cool.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, my fourth level is the first one that I'm really proud of.

Quicker Than The Sand
T30-M52-QWF

The SMB desert music is fantastic.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Imagine this: you jump from a blue platform, hit a switch, then land on a red platform. Then, later in the level, a shell does this for you on a set interval, and you move through a corridor with switch blocks acting as temporary gates.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Okay, my fourth level is the first one that I'm really proud of.

Quicker Than The Sand
T30-M52-QWF

The SMB desert music is fantastic.

Great level. Lots of nice touches. very good looking

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So after my stage Dry Bone's Desert had a 6% winrate with over 100 tries, I figured something might off (it wasn't supposed to be that hard) and I gave it a new pass. The new code for it is:
5YS-J8R-20G

It's a Desert NSMBU level with an emphasis on Seesaws and (you guessed it) Dry Bones, with a good amount of secrets and bonus objectives.
Also if someone could update the entry on the Spreadsheet I had for it with the new codes you would just amazing in so many ways.

Seemed fine to me! I think you did a nice job on it, not sure why this would be just 6% winrate unless you massively changed it up

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

I've got bad news about the first SA MM2 Jam

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Control Volume posted:

Imagine this: you jump from a blue platform, hit a switch, then land on a red platform. Then, later in the level, a shell does this for you on a set interval, and you move through a corridor with switch blocks acting as temporary gates.

I've decided I'm not going to use them except as a matter of necessity (unlocking stuff/changing paths if I do a Metroidvania-type level) because I'm sure I'm not clever enough to do anything interesting or fun with them.

Also, I haven't even gotten one yet, but I'm preemptively sick of snake block levels, which were always my least-favorite part of Super Mario World. Boy I love waiting on a moving platform that slowly meanders its way across the whole level on a path I can't see and then having to redo it for the secrets because you can't really tell when or where you're able to get back on the platform until it's too late.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

eonwe posted:

Seemed fine to me! I think you did a nice job on it, not sure why this would be just 6% winrate unless you massively changed it up

That one blue lift in the underground was actually a second Seesaw, and people kept dying there. I figured it wasn't guaranteed to sync up right and people were just taking blind leaps, even though there was a track.

I do wish there was a "blue" mode for Seesaws on tracks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spoiler: The level you design to be as gentle and merciful as possible will still end up with an abysmal clear rate

Macaluso posted:

I've got bad news about the first SA MM2 Jam

Yeah, honestly despite wanting to participate I really don't even wanna bother with this one. I'm just so sick of switches. Seen them everywhere online.

Then again I could always make a level around the old faithful P switch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Also, I haven't even gotten one yet, but I'm preemptively sick of snake block levels, which were always my least-favorite part of Super Mario World. Boy I love waiting on a moving platform that slowly meanders its way across the whole level on a path I can't see and then having to redo it for the secrets because you can't really tell when or where you're able to get back on the platform until it's too late.

The thing that gets me is everyone leaves it at the default five blocks long. Half the point of the piece is that you're leaving a trail as it moves. The snake can be up to twelve blocks long! You can have crazy trails going everywhere and have Tron light cycle races with them! You can use them to open and close paths! You can do so much and people do default settings using it as little more than just another lift.

I have only seen one person even change the default settings on the snake blocks. They made it shorter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm looking for help on a contraption I'm working on.

I want a contraption where, if you fire a power ball (same properties as a fire ball but it goes at different angles) in the right spot, it causes a shell to race off. Here's what I've been able to come up with:

There's two problems. One is the shell fires to the left, but that's not a big deal, I can design the level around that. The second is that bob-bombs take forever to detonate. This is a speedrun level, where Mario's going to be racing by at top speed. Even if I replace the entire bottom floor with left-facing conveyer belts Mario is long gone by the time the bomb explodes. Are there any setups that can accomplish this faster?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Spoiler: The level you design to be as gentle and merciful as possible will still end up with an abysmal clear rate

Yeah, honestly despite wanting to participate I really don't even wanna bother with this one. I'm just so sick of switches. Seen them everywhere online.

It might be because one of the first story levels had switches, and it was really neat (to me, at least). I actually considered making one of those for my first level, too, before I decided to make the best type of level: SMB3-style airships.

Also, I finally got a game over in story mode. Level 45, "Lava Rising", seemed surprisingly difficult for a 3 star level.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I made a fairly short don't-jump level. It shouldn't be TOO abysmal.

Internet Kraken posted:

Related to the above, somehow someone died here:

That icicle has zero chance of killing anything unless the person completely ignores the level objective.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Switches can also change tracks and conveyors, or be the target of a shell trickshot, or be used to change the layout of a level so you go through an area twice with different paths, etc. Dont write off the switch just because everyone is only using the same two patterns.

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

I made another crazy challenging skill jump level, I hope it brings you many tears.

Beneath the Theater of Pain (50s)

K7V-J8Y-TCG

Similar to my last level a lot of precision skill jumping is required and many traps await you.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
versus mode is a mess

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

corn on the cop posted:

versus mode is a mess

Turn on your Switch.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Alright, my first Mario Maker 2 stage:

Sanctuary of the Peaceful Bombs
YYQ-D3X-HRG

A sanctuary amidst the clouds for Bob-Ombs. Enjoy some relaxing coin-o-therapy with the help of our friendly Thwomp attendants.
(And please don't mind me playing around with what the swinging claws can do.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Whoever bought this lovely new avatar for me, you are truly wonderful and it is so incredibly appropriate right now :D
Been stuck in endless mode for a bit, trying to get into the top 1000. I am currently just over 3800 and having a whale of a time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That one blue lift in the underground was actually a second Seesaw, and people kept dying there. I figured it wasn't guaranteed to sync up right and people were just taking blind leaps, even though there was a track.

I do wish there was a "blue" mode for Seesaws on tracks.

My airship level has a clear big ship at the end with a pipe to go down. But people throw themselves off the back apparently???

Earlier in the level I put things to catch people and give them chances to get back up, but we're talking full running jumps off the end of the level into oblivion here.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's my first try for anyone aching to maneuver some buzzsaws on tilting platforms!

Sea, Saws & Seesaws
3X8-DST-2YG

Also dammit Nintendo why can't I use the heavy stone block :argh:

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Playin' some goon levels:

Super Mario Soldier Stage 1 by Kirios

3NQ-HPK-NTG

Taught me that you can trigger on/off switches with a charged shot from a fire clown car, took me a few attempts to realize this.

Goomba Garden by yrmr

M8S-78N-RGF

A nice little level, was satisfying buttstomping a big stack of stinky goombas.

Celeste Tape Rooms: Side A by TaterSwift

RQ2-F47-F4G

I should not have tried this level just as I woke up. Captures the Celeste difficulty really well and made me want to tear my hair out at times because I'm bad at Mario. Beat it in the end. Fantastic level!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What does it mean when you're looking through courses, like in your played history or wherever, and some have the little Endless Mode icon on them, but some don't?

Nevermind I'm dumb, it's not an endless mode icon, it means it has a special goal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Couple things:

1) ok, so due to endless mode, it DOES make sense to hide 1-ups throughout a level? I mean, a normal amount of course. I figure otherwise, 1-ups are completely and totally pointless.

2) I would absolutely love it if you were able to email a screenshot from your Switch, instead of forcing a social media post/tweet. To prevent spam, they could limit the recipient to whatever email address is tied to your My Nintendo account. Why hasn't this been done? :psyduck:

3) I loving LOVE this game. You corrected me on Twitter at the top of this very page, Dieting Hippo, but I just have to reiterate how much I loved that SMB3-style Big/Small level. It felt like it was right out of the original game. :allears: I starred that creator immediately, but haven't been able to check out the rest of their levels. I can't wait to get into making my own, but I feel weird about doing that before I at least finish Story Mode, which I also love.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 2, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Couple things:

1) ok, so due to endless mode, it DOES make sense to hide 1-ups throughout a level? I mean, a normal amount of course. I figure otherwise, 1-ups are completely and totally pointless.

Yeah. I think a good policy is to have 1 hidden 1-up, enough coins for at least one additional 1-up, and then the ability to get a 1-up at the end of the level. Obviously there are other options you can mix and match, but the point is if a player does EVERYTHING they should be able to nail 3 extra lives over the course of the level. Or, they can still get 3 lives by dying 1/2 times and doing one objective multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Couple things:

2) I would absolutely love it if you were able to email a screenshot from your Switch, instead of forcing a social media post/tweet. To prevent spam, they could limit the recipient to whatever email address is tied to your My Nintendo account. Why hasn't this been done? :psyduck:

3) I loving LOVE this game. You corrected me on Twitter at the top of this very page, Dieting Hippo, but I just have to reiterate how much I loved that SMB3-style Big/Small level. It felt like it was right out of the original game. :allears: I starred that creator immediately, but haven't been able to check out the rest of their levels. I can't wait to get into making my own, but I feel weird about doing that before I at least finish Story Mode, which I also love.

1) Yes, it helps long runs since you can get 3 lives a level, so with 2 deaths you can still come out positive. In Endless mode you also get a one up when you beat a level if you hit the top of the flagpole/one up mushroom in SMB3 levels too, or get 100 coins. So there are other ways to do that as well.

2) I used an old inactive twitter to just use as a screenshot repository. Jokes on me because I ended up actually using twitter again though (I guess that's the point)

3) It's a good game