Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I've been listening to a new one lately called Garbage Brain University by Drew Toothpaste and Natalie Dee

https://www.garbagebrainuniversity.com/

If you're familiar with Drew's work (Toothpaste for Dinner, Married to the Sea, Crudbump Nasty Jams) it's humor very much in the same vein. He and his wife pick a topic (ghosts, mail, etc) and just run with it for an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

sweet_jones posted:

I tend to just follow the same podcasts; how do people find out about series like these?

Forgot if I replied to this.
But the guardian has a weekly podcast newsletter that had some good recommandations in the past. I do think I found most of the podcasts I like because somebody in another podcast recommended it.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
https://twitter.com/gossipmongers1/status/1137439531563659264

nooooo my favorite thread recommendation. Sure they say it'll be back but I mean that sounds like the sort of thing where there never is a season 2, if the history of these "brb hiatus" statuses continues.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

life is a joke posted:

nooooo my favorite thread recommendation. Sure they say it'll be back but I mean that sounds like the sort of thing where there never is a season 2, if the history of these "brb hiatus" statuses continues.

poo poo, there’s nothing out there at the moment that I enjoy quite as much.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
General podcast question:

I have an mp3 player I prefer to use for music and podcasts. Most podcasts offer their episodes as mp3-downloads, which should mean I'm on easy street. However, 4 out of 5 podcasts are much too low to understand if I'm in anywhere but nearly completely quiet surroundings, and don't get me started on live recordings with room/crowd noise. I think BBCs podcasts are the only ones recorded loudly enough for me to listen to outside.

Is there something I can do? I considered springing for new earphones, but I'm a dirty poor and would be disappointed if it didn't help.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

First I would check if your MP3 player has a setting for this. It might be called something obvious like "volume boost" but also look for settings that refer to "dynamic range" or "compression". If it has anything like that, play around with them and see if it helps the volume.

You can also run the files through an audio processing program on your computer in order to increase the loudness. I don't know if this is a good tutorial but it is a tutorial for the general thing that you are trying to do:

https://www.thebest3d.com/audacity/tutorials/make-louder/audacity-tutorial-make-louder-more-volume-increased-amplitude.html

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tias posted:

General podcast question:

I have an mp3 player I prefer to use for music and podcasts. Most podcasts offer their episodes as mp3-downloads, which should mean I'm on easy street. However, 4 out of 5 podcasts are much too low to understand if I'm in anywhere but nearly completely quiet surroundings, and don't get me started on live recordings with room/crowd noise. I think BBCs podcasts are the only ones recorded loudly enough for me to listen to outside.

Is there something I can do? I considered springing for new earphones, but I'm a dirty poor and would be disappointed if it didn't help.

Most podcast authors do not master their audio correctly therefore/because the podcast playing programs take care of that.

When hacking mp3 files into a music player, iTunes has an amplification setting per-file and a Spoken Word equalizer setting.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

life is a joke posted:

They will be back, Joe and Dave are in the middle of Writing/shooting a 6 part comedy series (The Cockfields) for TV, they also said that they didn't want to run gossipmongers into the ground.

May Wellybaby watch over you.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Oh ok good #blessed. Are their shows any good?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Seeing hashtag blessed made me think of Christine from Archive 81, and I'll take any excuse to recommend that.

Their own description is that it's about "horror, cities, and the subconscious". It's an audio drama for folks who like Jeff VanderMeer and weird fiction in general.

Just listened back through it for the upteenth time and I'm still catching little bits and pieces I didn't catch before. Highly recommended.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Demi Adejuyigbe is leaving Punch Up The Jam so it'll just be Miel screaming now

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
These are my favourite podcasts, what should I listen to now?

Homecoming/Limetown
Serial/S-Town
Behind the Bastards
Reply All/Mystery Show/Heavyweight
Board Game Barrage
Darknet Diaries
Ear Hustle
Common Sense
Where Should We Begin?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Kerro posted:

Homecoming/Limetown
Serial/S-Town ------> conviction/criminal/in the dark/someone knows something/to live and die in LA/ etc...
Behind the Bastards ------> it could happen here/running from cops/the shrink next door
Board Game Barrage
Darknet Diaries ------> Sleepwalkers/the end of the world with josh clark
Ear Hustle
Common Sense
Where Should We Begin? ------> conversations against living miserably? (haven't really listened)

I don't know myself. haven't listened to too much podcasts lately because I can't find something new.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 27, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've had luck recommending the Wild Episode by Brian Ruckley to people. Weird stories from the world of zoology. He has a knack of finding and talking about genuine zoological curiosities in a way any layman can understand. It's not supernatural, but often truth is stranger than fiction. And being someone who reads a lot about animals I have genuinely learned a lot from his choices, he really knows how to pick them.

There's a nice little back-log at the moment, and while updating is a bit slower than the every two weeks he hoped for originally (he has a writing project at the moment) it's constant enough. The production values are great and he has a really nice speaking voice. I can't recommend this enough.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
99% invisible listeners already know about it but Anthropecene Reviewed is good. It's light history in personal essay form, basically, so it lives or dies based on whether you enjoy the guy's takes and style.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kerro posted:

Homecoming/Limetown
Serial/S-Town
Behind the Bastards
Board Game Barrage
Darknet Diaries
Ear Hustle
Common Sense
Where Should We Begin?

Casefile
Small Town Dicks
Death in Ice Valley
Heaven's Gate
The Wonderland Murders
Bear Brook
Happy Face
Dr. Death
Nordic True Crime

I would also recommend Crime in Sports and Small Town Murder, but with the caveat that they're not exactly like anything on your list.

They're both by the same two guys and the premise is that they make fun of stupid criminals. For the most part, they cover unknown crimes, though they do occasionally cover a well known person on Crime in Sports.

Beyond being funny as hell, what really sets it apart is how well researched it is. The sheer volume of crazy poo poo they dig up on each episode is mind boggling. They're a very self-referential at times, particularly on Small Town Murder, but if you push through, it's totally worth it.

To get a taste of their style, I highly recommend picking one of these from Crime in Sports:

156 - King of Rikers Island (boxer Mitch "Blood" Green)
155 - Let Me Have You (pro wrestler Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart)

If you don't know who either of them are, or don't know or like their sport, don't sweat it. They're good about telling you what you need to know to understand the person.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kerro posted:

Homecoming/Limetown
Serial/S-Town
Behind the Bastards
Board Game Barrage
Darknet Diaries
Ear Hustle
Common Sense
Where Should We Begin?

In the Dark

edit: and just in general for everyone: The Memory Palace

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

mrfart posted:

I don't know myself. haven't listened to too much podcasts lately because I can't find something new.

Thanks, I've heard of/listened to most of the ones you suggested but not Conversations Against.. which sounds interesting - I'll give that a shot.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've had luck recommending the Wild Episode by Brian Ruckley to people.

That's very much outside what I'd normally listen to but I'm intrigued.

Azathoth posted:

156 - King of Rikers Island (boxer Mitch "Blood" Green)
155 - Let Me Have You (pro wrestler Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart)

I've tried most of the others you've suggested but this is new to me and sounds fun. I'm not a sports person at all but surprisingly enjoyed a few of the 30 for 30 episodes a lot when it's broken down enough for non-fans to understand what's going on.

a kitten posted:

In the Dark

I enjoyed this well enough but I think I'm pretty done with long-form true crime podcasts unless they offer something really different. So many of them just drag things out excessively and have so much repetition that I lose interest. I'd love more long-form podcasts like S-Town focusing on interesting/unusual people or places though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kerro posted:

I enjoyed this well enough but I think I'm pretty done with long-form true crime podcasts unless they offer something really different. So many of them just drag things out excessively and have so much repetition that I lose interest. I'd love more long-form podcasts like S-Town focusing on interesting/unusual people or places though.

Avoid Death in Ice Valley then! They just had a live hour update and the first 30 minutes was just a big wet fart.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kerro posted:

I've tried most of the others you've suggested but this is new to me and sounds fun. I'm not a sports person at all but surprisingly enjoyed a few of the 30 for 30 episodes a lot when it's broken down enough for non-fans to understand what's going on.

Yeah, it's really about the insanity surrounding sports and the particular athlete.

I've listened to a bunch on sports that I either don't care at all about and have never been a fan of (boxing) or have literally never seen and don't know about at all (Aussie rules football, cricket) and had no trouble enjoying them at all.

At worst, they spend a little too long on the sports aspect, if the athlete had a long career anyway, but it's always on service of showing some aspect of the athlete's history or personality that becomes relevant later, like how Lenny Dykstra has literally no concept of failure or how Clifford Etienne was punched in the head a ridiculous amount, even for a boxer.

Being a sports fan at most informs some of their jokes slightly. I've found that the less I know about a person or sport, the more I enjoy the episode.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010
I recommend the Ologies podcast, I think most people in this thread would enjoy it. The host interviews a different scientist/researcher every week, and she's really great at finding people who can talk about their subject in an interesting way. It's also frequently hilarious

The second episode, primatology, is one of the best single podcast episodes I've ever heard so check that out to get a sense of whether you'll like the show.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Ologies is very, very good. Personal favourites were Surgical Oncology and Eschatology.

If you're into football/soccer, These Football Times often does more historical episodes about a certain team or tournament. Episodes about Kendall's Everton and Paisley's Liverpool were great. It's not just English sides, either, there are ones about Spain's World Cup winning side and the great Ajax side of the 70s. Really welcome change from 'three guys talk about last weekend'.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DrGonzo90 posted:

I recommend the Ologies podcast, I think most people in this thread would enjoy it. The host interviews a different scientist/researcher every week, and she's really great at finding people who can talk about their subject in an interesting way. It's also frequently hilarious

The second episode, primatology, is one of the best single podcast episodes I've ever heard so check that out to get a sense of whether you'll like the show.

That sounds excellent, downloading now

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good comprehensive Soviet history podcast in the vein of Mike Duncan's Roman podcast?

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Is there a good comprehensive Soviet history podcast in the vein of Mike Duncan's Roman podcast?

You may or may not be aware, but Mike has another podcast called Revolutions which just started on Soviet history but it's going to be slow going, he's literally still dealing with the political philosophy that preceded the movement.

There's also The Eastern Border which does topics and people in Soviet history but does it out of order, ie I think he did Stalin before Lenin.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Looking for some active anime podcasts (ever since the Weebcast went off-air that is)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Eifert Posting posted:

I listened to a lot of the Russian rulers history podcast, which is definitely a bit amateurish. But it did have some interesting stories and did give me an insight in some lesser known stuff of Russian history.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

This is a bit of a curveball question but this thread seems like a good place to ask. I like to listen to podcasts in the car, but my car doesn't have Bluetooth support, and my phone doesn't have a headphone jack; so I'm stuck choosing between either charging my phone, or not charging my phone and then fiddling with adapter cables to plug in to the car's aux-in jack. I have seen Bluetooth devices that exist basically to solve this problem, where it accepts Bluetooth audio and sends it to aux-out. Do any of you have experience with devices like this? I'm curious which, if any, are good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is a bit of a curveball question but this thread seems like a good place to ask. I like to listen to podcasts in the car, but my car doesn't have Bluetooth support, and my phone doesn't have a headphone jack; so I'm stuck choosing between either charging my phone, or not charging my phone and then fiddling with adapter cables to plug in to the car's aux-in jack. I have seen Bluetooth devices that exist basically to solve this problem, where it accepts Bluetooth audio and sends it to aux-out. Do any of you have experience with devices like this? I'm curious which, if any, are good.

Solutions depend on the work you want to put into it.

I used to do the Bluetooth through Radio Signal thing years ago, and it was terrible. I don't recommend those.

If I'm in a friend's car, I've just used a splitter.

For a while I just used a bluetooth speaker that fit in a cup holder, like a JBL. The problem is, if you're spending that much money, you should just look into replacing the stereo in your car.

You can find one that can be installed in your car pretty easily. I have a pick-up truck from '06 that only had CD and a broken AUX jack. In less than two hours, I was able to replace my stereo system, test it, and link up my devices and get back on the road. It was a stereo like this and it was on sale for $20. The install kit was maybe $12 from Walmart. I did it myself with help from a friend that knows a bit more about electronics, so the labor was free. Find a few models that will work with your vehicle, look through sites that find discounts on electronics, and get what works.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I use an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K9C265D/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your car radio can tune to 87.7 on FM, make sure it can broadcast on that because not all of them can.

I've used mine all over and never had an issue with interference.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I use a $20 bluetooth device that plugs into AUX I bought at CVS and it works totally fine.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Azathoth posted:

I use an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K9C265D/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your car radio can tune to 87.7 on FM, make sure it can broadcast on that because not all of them can.

I've used mine all over and never had an issue with interference.

I remember trying something like that in my previous car and the sound was horrendous.
It seems hit or miss with these things.
Seeing he has an aux, I would think that's a safer route audio quality-wise.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the advice folks. I'll probably buy some cheap thing and hopefully it will work idk.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I used a Motorola Roadster for a couple of years and it worked pretty well. Clipped it to the passenger seat visor and played it on 88.1; I think I had some interference if I got close to a radio station on that frequency but it never lasted more than a minute or two (and you could easily adjust the station it was broadcasting to if you needed to).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mrfart posted:

I remember trying something like that in my previous car and the sound was horrendous.
It seems hit or miss with these things.
Seeing he has an aux, I would think that's a safer route audio quality-wise.

Same experience and recommendation.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streambot-Hands-Free/dp/B00MJMV0GU
Have used one of those , sounds ok, 8 to 10 hours from 1 charge.
If this one doesn't sound good enough for you, search for similar devices with Aptx HD or ALAC codecs. But for most it's gonna be overkill, esp. if it's for podcasts mainly.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

pangstrom posted:

99% invisible listeners already know about it but Anthropecene Reviewed is good. It's light history in personal essay form, basically, so it lives or dies based on whether you enjoy the guy's takes and style.

I am in love with this. Harvey, whispering, and googling people all had me tearing up.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My wife loves true crime tv shows like Dateline and 48 hours. She is marathon training and I am getting her into podcasts. She liked serial season 1 and past that I am striking out. Did not like season 2, S-town, or the wonderland murders. What should I have her try?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Snowmankilla posted:

My wife loves true crime tv shows like Dateline and 48 hours. She is marathon training and I am getting her into podcasts. She liked serial season 1 and past that I am striking out. Did not like season 2, S-town, or the wonderland murders. What should I have her try?

Definitely have her try Casefile. Might also give Small Town Dicks a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Snowmankilla posted:

In the Dark

https://www.apmreports.org/in-the-dark