Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Playing with oils and pigments. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I think it's starting to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heck, they even had to replicate the parts during filming. The original studio-scale models were kitbashed, but any other scale they needed during shooting would be someone recreating parts at whatever scale.

Imagine the guys building the full-size Falcon going ".... okay, we need wheel braces from a Tiger right here, and then.... fuel tank from a Lincoln continental over there."

I remember watching a video from Bandai when they were making their Perfect Grade Falcon. They ended up tracking down all of the kits that were used and making digital copies of the parts.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Symetrique posted:

I remember watching a video from Bandai when they were making their Perfect Grade Falcon. They ended up tracking down all of the kits that were used and making digital copies of the parts.

Yeah, I got one, and on the initial parts fondling I was all "Oh, wow - that's the engine block, and the tank hull, and..." It was amazing to see how they had reproduced all those teeny details as recognizable kit parts.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Frenz posted:

I just ordered some Tamiya enamels off ebay because I'm sick of Model Master, Humbrol, etc. I'll report back when (if?) they get here and I have a chance to try them.

They mixed and airbrushed well and weren't all separated in the bottle. I'm not sure how they will hold up but at the very least the Tamiya glass bottle w/ plastic lid combo is preferable to the MM metal lids with cardboard seal that always falls out and gets paint everywhere and the stupid Humbrol mini paint tins.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Star Trek Post!
I did a Galactica (new) a couple of years back and I really enjoyed it. Got a little airbrush kit and desktop compressor because of that. I wanted to get back in and went with the Round 2 redo's of some ships in 1:2500 just to play around.

Klingons! *TWANG*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM

The Reliant got a little weird. I know these are old molds they are re-using, AND that these are small, AND the reliant is not the main model in this kit, but man, they could have chosen a different point to do an injection point (I think that's the right word for it):

I had to shave a bunch of it out to make the seam that it should have had. The pics above are pre-shaving.

But they all came together alright. However, you can see the weird internal copywrite poo poo that is printed on the inside of the saucer. Hope the paint covers that. Next time I'm gonna sand that crap out.

I'll need to do a little putty work to fill some stuff in from places where I goofed getting the sprue off (first cut of course):

Next to priming!

ptier fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 5, 2019

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Dragon Panzer IV ausf. G:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have a pair of Hasegawa P-47s.

I totally ran out of space for the L decal, and totally went overboard on the oil wash, now that I got some decent materials to do it.

There is just no context in which putting down yellow does not suck.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
^^ Digging the fantasy/reality dichotomy there. Cool little display.

Frenz posted:

Dragon Panzer IV ausf. G:

Awesome. Which kit? DS tracks or what?

T-34 turret interior is complete:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

Looks great! My tank is coming along quite well also. Time to get started on the base.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Can I ask you to go over your detailing and weathering process? That's looking real sharp all around.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

It's this one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6594-pzkpfw-iv-ausf-g--134714 using Kaizen tracks. I've never used DS because I've heard that paint doesn't stick well to them and they will sometimes disintegrate. Nice job on that interior.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

ptier posted:

Star Trek Post!
I did a Galactica (new) a couple of years back and I really enjoyed it. Got a little airbrush kit and desktop compressor because of that. I wanted to get back in and went with the Round 2 redo's of some ships in 1:2500 just to play around.

I'll need to do a little putty work to fill some stuff in from places where I goofed getting the sprue off (first cut of course):

Next to priming!

These look like fun, I may need to pick up a set. I just started the Ban Dai Star Destroyer in similar scale and was thinking about doing more in smaller scale.
Can I pick your brain a little on the Galactica? Did you do the Mobius kit, and did you do any of the add ons for it? Did you go with there paint recommendations, and how do you think that ended up?
I've got the mobius now, and I'm a little disappointed in the detailing. Enough so that I've spent like 20 hours adding evergreen strip to the armor between the strakes to get some actual texture on it. At this point I'm really second guessing it, but there really doesn't seem to be a better kit out there.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Some updates are in order I guess.

Got a bit further on the Deloreans body

Getting all the panels and doors and so on to properly align was a bit of a headache, but it's done now.

Also been putting in a lot of work on my Berlin tram, which is largely done from the main corpus point of view.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Poisonlizard posted:

These look like fun, I may need to pick up a set. I just started the Ban Dai Star Destroyer in similar scale and was thinking about doing more in smaller scale.
Can I pick your brain a little on the Galactica? Did you do the Mobius kit, and did you do any of the add ons for it? Did you go with there paint recommendations, and how do you think that ended up?
I've got the mobius now, and I'm a little disappointed in the detailing. Enough so that I've spent like 20 hours adding evergreen strip to the armor between the strakes to get some actual texture on it. At this point I'm really second guessing it, but there really doesn't seem to be a better kit out there.

I need to check out that star destroyer. Nicely detailed and I can see why the galactica would feel let down after that one.

I did the straight Mobius kit. No add-ons. It was my first in a long while so it was a re-learning experience. With respect to paint, I'll take some pictures tonight and write down what I used, I don't remember them off-hand. I did more of a metallic iron job which I like, just wish I had lightened it up before putting it on over german gray. I also did some scratching and buffing to make it look like the old girl she is.

I'll get some pictures up tonight when I get home.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the etch kit for the gun emplacements and raised lettering. But to each their own.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Can I ask you to go over your detailing and weathering process? That's looking real sharp all around.

Thanks!

Roughly...
  • Prime black w/Mr Surfacer 1500
  • Base coat w/Tamiya hull red cut 1:1 w/Mr Leveling Thinner - this is the red oxide primer under the paint
  • 2 light coats of hairspray from the airbrush
  • Base coat with 20 parts Tamiya flat white, 1 part Tamiya desert yellow, 20 parts liquitex flow improver
  • Chip w/water and a semi-stiff brush
  • Pin wash w/dark wash for green vehicles by Mig Ammo, then feather/blend any spots
  • Add wash to darker corners or places where dirt and grime would be, then blend
  • Pigments - various tones from a couple manufacturers, including some pastels - spread around to w/soft brush simulate dust
  • Pigments - bunched into corners where mud and dirt would accumulate from foot traffic and affixed with pigment fixer
  • Machine guns brushed with graphite powder from a #2 pencil

I feel like it doesn't really come to life until the pigments are put in place, but it is really really easy to overdo them. Subtlety is the key. Building them up in layers is important.

Frenz posted:

It's this one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6594-pzkpfw-iv-ausf-g--134714 using Kaizen tracks. I've never used DS because I've heard that paint doesn't stick well to them and they will sometimes disintegrate. Nice job on that interior.

Ah yes, I need to finish that one. I've had it on my shelf of doom for a couple years now. Did your kit not come with Magic Tracks? Mine did. And yes, DS tracks are garbage. I've used Kaizen tracks a couple times and they were great. Though, I used them for this T-34 and they were a bitch and a half. The channel for the retaining pin didn't go all the way through some of the track segments and it was a colossal pain in the rear end.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The kit was reissued recently with only DS plus a few magic tracks for spares. They also left out two sprues of special spare track links with molded on brackets and locating pins. The instructions have you fill the holes in the hull and call out the plain magic tracks so they knew what they were doing.

They don’t include any brackets on the PE fret either so they just expect you to glue plain magic tracks to the fender. Luckily I had enough spares from other dragon panzer iv kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I have a PzIV Ausf.G in storage, plus a shitload of aftermarket. I need to actually get around to building it someday instead of just buying more accessories.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Bit of advice needed - I gave my last build a final gloss coat with a Krylon aerosol without masking the transparencies, thinking that it'd be fine since gloss varnish over transparencies should be just like Future. Hot tip - it is not and they all fogged up. Can anyone think of anything that might get the loving stuff off without melting the plastic? I've tried IPA and that certainly doesn't work.

(Yes, I know I'm a loving moron and should have tried it on spares first)

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 8, 2019

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you mean clear plastic parts, get novus plastic polishing, level 3 and 2 and buff like hell

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Poisonlizard posted:

Finally got it all together.

The layers are thus (all Tamiya colors because they are the most high quality I can get at my hobby shops):
Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer
XF-63 German Grey
XF-56 Metallic Grey + XF-63 German Grey in equal parts I believe.

Then I buffed a little with varying grits of sanding sticks to achieve the scuffed looked. Got a little too aggressive on the edges.

Then I tried to do a little something with the engine wash. The Galactica engine burn was bright blue with lots white mixed in so I attempted to do a layer of blue (straight XF-8 Flat Blue with some XF-2 Flat White or X-2 White mixed in and then on top just a little hit of white in the center to give it a burst look. I'm not super happy with it, but its much better to my eyes than just a flat color.

If I did it again, I'd definitely paint the clear stuff before hand and really plan out the layers, lighten up all the colors, and do the etch kits, which I might end up doing when my Star Trek ones are done... and the Pegasus... and some vipers. I don't have a problem, you have a problem!

Critiques welcome, looking to get gud.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

ptier posted:

Finally got it all together.

The layers are thus (all Tamiya colors because they are the most high quality I can get at my hobby shops):
Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer
XF-63 German Grey
XF-56 Metallic Grey + XF-63 German Grey in equal parts I believe.

Then I buffed a little with varying grits of sanding sticks to achieve the scuffed looked. Got a little too aggressive on the edges.

Then I tried to do a little something with the engine wash. The Galactica engine burn was bright blue with lots white mixed in so I attempted to do a layer of blue (straight XF-8 Flat Blue with some XF-2 Flat White or X-2 White mixed in and then on top just a little hit of white in the center to give it a burst look. I'm not super happy with it, but its much better to my eyes than just a flat color.

If I did it again, I'd definitely paint the clear stuff before hand and really plan out the layers, lighten up all the colors, and do the etch kits, which I might end up doing when my Star Trek ones are done... and the Pegasus... and some vipers. I don't have a problem, you have a problem!

Critiques welcome, looking to get gud.

That looks really good, much better than I was expecting on mine, and similar colors to what I'm shooting for. I really dig the blue you did there.
I did snap a couple of pics of my detail adding.

So thank you, I feel much better about the whole thing now, because yours looks good.

Also, do get that Ban Dai kit, as good as the star destroyer looks, I liked the Death Star even better. I just need to get the pain done on mine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in the US or UK, Amazon US currently has the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex kit listed for $11USD from three third-party sellers, plus shipping. It's almost certainly a pricing error, or maybe a scam, but apparently people in the Gunpla thread have gotten shipping notices.

Sadly none of those sellers will ship to Australia :sigh:.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I never slammed order so fast in my life godamn.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

same here, I hope it's fulfilled

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

:same:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Just got my shipping confirmation hell yeah.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Poisonlizard posted:

That looks really good, much better than I was expecting on mine, and similar colors to what I'm shooting for. I really dig the blue you did there.
I did snap a couple of pics of my detail adding.

So thank you, I feel much better about the whole thing now, because yours looks good.

Also, do get that Ban Dai kit, as good as the star destroyer looks, I liked the Death Star even better. I just need to get the pain done on mine.

I love that detail, is that styrene sheet cut to make the aztecing? Asking for a friend.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I also ordered a Metal Gear. If it actually turns up we can do a group build. :P

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

lilljonas posted:

I also ordered a Metal Gear. If it actually turns up we can do a group build. :P

Gunpla thread vs model thread group build

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I really wish I had any interest in that thing. Dear Amazon, please screw up the price on something I want.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Slugworth posted:

I really wish I had any interest in that thing. Dear Amazon, please screw up the price on something I want.

Agreed. I appreciate the Gunpla culture and hobby, but it's just not for me. Where's my $11 Tamiya 1/32 airplane?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Symetrique posted:

Gunpla thread vs model thread group build

Gonna make it a ww2 plane paint scheme to stay true to my hood

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Try it, friend. First one's $11.13.

You can do a full kit, with articulation and an internal frame, in a single sitting, including topcoat. Or you can paint it up like a regular model, with a crazy amount of detail.

https://twitter.com/Soheiheihei/status/1138990719983448065

https://twitter.com/trysetubi/status/1145992370300657665

https://twitter.com/Anavel_sato/status/1143681605740875777

poo poo, some of them are basically plane kits with a couple extra parts anyway.

https://twitter.com/atelier_imai/status/1114743262403678209

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Lovely kit. Fits together perfectly.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

If one was to paint it, do you paint the individual pieces before assembly?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If one was to paint it, do you paint the individual pieces before assembly?

Probably not. Its always better to break painting down by sub assemblies, that way you avoid fit problems that come with paint buildup.

Here are the instructions:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10196669

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I saw that on the Underground and had to order it inbetween WiFi hotspots, got my shipping email :woop:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

ptier posted:

I love that detail, is that styrene sheet cut to make the aztecing? Asking for a friend.

Yeah, strips of .010 styrene chopped up and glued down. I'll try to get some pics up once I base coat and wash it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're in the US or UK, Amazon US currently has the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex kit listed for $11USD from three third-party sellers, plus shipping. It's almost certainly a pricing error, or maybe a scam, but apparently people in the Gunpla thread have gotten shipping notices.

Sadly none of those sellers will ship to Australia :sigh:.

It's $51 now. Luckily I'm not really into this sort of thing so it's not terribly disappointing that I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

idk where i'm going with this build. Did some color modulation with oils and some light staining. I was not happy with the way the AK RC paints went on. The medium sea grey seemed way too dark so I had to do a light coat of Tamiya Sky Grey.

Probably gonna do a very thin gloss coat and follow that with a wash to bring out all of the rivet detail. And paint the red gun tapes too.