Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

have you seen my baby posted:

Is the idea that all of the attacks in this game are tracer based really that confusing?

No its just really weird that i can sidestep a guy who's doing an attack where all its power is going into the initial thrust and he gets to just go "oh lol" and turn for full damage. Intentional or not its dumb. It doesn't trip me up anymore (i've started to just parry rather than sidestep swing into them), but its absolutely silly that I can stab and decapitate 3 dudes in a single "stab".

Like poo poo, make it flinch you or something like a normal attack, but it 100% shouldn't do the damage it does imo.

E: gently caress, sorry for starting a new page with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Minorkos posted:

I'd say it would be best to level the playing field and make feints essentially unreactable to begin with so that people don't have to try to cheese each other to death with weird mouse macros or some other poo poo like that

So basically you want the skillcap lowered because you don't like tracer manipulation.

How would you even change the tracers to make feints unreactable?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

So basically you want the skillcap lowered because you don't like tracer manipulation.

How would you even change the tracers to make feints unreactable?

You misunderstood the point of my post

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Minorkos posted:

You misunderstood the point of my post

The point being managing more than one resource is too hard and you don't like having to move your mouse to be good at the game?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The point being managing more than one resource is too hard and you don't like having to move your mouse to be good at the game?

No

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

McSpanky posted:

That's dumb as hell and only proves they didn't try to test, or likely even conceive of, any alternatives to turning stabs into a waiving magic wand of death.

Ah yes the concerns of the community full of racists homophobes and cheaters who wouldn't shed a single tear if the Chivalry 2.0 patch came out tomorrow

Your commitment to your point of view is certainly something. I hope you find a medieval combat game that conceives of, tests, and implements the mechanics that you want to see.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

dogstile posted:

No its just really weird that i can sidestep a guy who's doing an attack where all its power is going into the initial thrust and he gets to just go "oh lol" and turn for full damage. Intentional or not its dumb. It doesn't trip me up anymore (i've started to just parry rather than sidestep swing into them), but its absolutely silly that I can stab and decapitate 3 dudes in a single "stab".

Like poo poo, make it flinch you or something like a normal attack, but it 100% shouldn't do the damage it does imo.

E: gently caress, sorry for starting a new page with this poo poo

I guess I don't understand why it's silly that you can't form a human shish kabob by shoving a spear through a bunch of dudes lined up in front of you, but it isn't silly that you can swing a sword and decapitate 5 people in a 180 degree arc? It's all loving silly.

Also, I think the length of the stab drag is being WAY overstated. The arc is relatively small and absolutely can be sidestepped. A fast weapon like the rapier can be sidestepped without anything other than a quick movement to the side, a billhook or poleaxe may require a side step and a head turn, but can still be avoided.

Now a spear might have a damage arc that doesn't allow for that, I don't know, I haven't tested it, and I could see that being the case, and if so, I'd concede that should be adjusted.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

There aren't any animation manipulations that are unreadable or unreactable

Some stuff looks a little goofy but figuring out the goofy stuff and how to beat it is part of the fun of the game for me

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

There aren't any animation manipulations that are unreadable or unreactable

Some stuff looks a little goofy but figuring out the goofy stuff and how to beat it is part of the fun of the game for me

There are a few that involve toe-staring and manipulating certain animations that I think are questionable, but I think I've seen someone using those in Frontlines maybe four times in 60 levels. The secret to dealing with those fucks is to kick them the instant they start that poo poo and stab them in the face. The kick is an underutilized tool for dealing with bullshit.

I ran into a guy last night who was level 144, using the billhook and he'd just run right up into you and move his body side to side real quick and then hit you with a stab. He'd get so close before stabbing that if they hadn't fixed that ini edit cheat, I'd have sworn he was doing that. First time he did it to me, he caught me completely flat footed, I panic parried and he put me in the ground. Second time he did it, I parry guessed correctly and managed to back up and it turned into an actual fight, which he unfortunately won, but the third time he did it, I immediately put my boot to him and he just stood there dazed while I buried my axe into his loving skull. Fourth time ended up much the same way, except he was hopping around with one leg and a bloody stump before he expired. There wasn't a fifth time, as after that we both formed an unspoken agreement to avoid fighting each other on equal terms that lasted the rest of the match.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

any lute masters know how to set that poo poo up?

i got the lutebot 2.0 installed, pointed it to my mordhau defaultinput.ini, got the OpenConsole set to PgDwn, set up my playlist and confirmed that they play correctly when sound effects are on.

but when I fire up the game and whip out my lute, PgDown doesn't open the console. if i leave Sound Effects checked, PgDown will start playing the midis in the background behind the game, but it wont translate into lutey goodness.

i remember with the old bot that i had to go into my mordhau config and custom-mod my default inputs, but was told i didn't have to do that for this version...

so yeah, any ideas?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Well time to uninstall the game again

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I used to think Battlefield had one of the most bigoted communities. Turns out crusader roleplayers are far more toxic than wehraboos.

They should shadow-ban the 5-10 people in every frontlines server that just can't stop postings slurs in chat. That or have them all get matched together into some kind of bigot-league.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Didn't they already promise to start banning nazis?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Wake me up when they actually fuckin' do it, then.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Wake me up when they actually fuckin' do it, then.

I'm saying that mealy-mouthed fuckhead seems to be walking it back.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Ah, gotcha. Apologies.

Jax seems all right. I think he just doesn't know how to handle being community manager of a game that's sold over a million copies, a ton of which to actual scum of the earth, and having to deal with a development team that barely knows non-white people exist in the first place.

i.e. they need to hire a fuckload more people to moderate this poo poo and prioritize in-game ability to report these racists

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Ah, gotcha. Apologies.

Jax seems all right. I think he just doesn't know how to handle being community manager of a game that's sold over a million copies, a ton of which to actual scum of the earth, and having to deal with a development team that barely knows non-white people exist in the first place.

i.e. they need to hire a fuckload more people to moderate this poo poo and prioritize in-game ability to report these racists

I agree completely. I think Jax is in over his head, and worse, because so much (all?) of the Dev team is European, I think they fully appreciate, or comprehend the issue.

That said, when I complain about something, I like to try to think of a solution to the problem to be able to offer something constructive to the discussion, and I admit, I'm totally loving clueless as to how to solve the issue.

I'm out of touch with other online games, what do they do to combat racist/toxic chat? Do all games now days come with large moderation teams?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

cerebral posted:

I'm out of touch with other online games, what do they do to combat racist/toxic chat? Do all games now days come with large moderation teams?

The trend is towards not having any chat available at all, just emotes and pre-programmed commands.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The biggest and easiest one, in my opinion, is provide way easier ways to submit reports of players. Like, it should be as easy as tab -> right click username -> report player. That's the minimum. This is how the big competitive Ubisoft games do it, and it's rather nice. I know comparing the second largest video game company in the world to an indie team's kind of unreasonable, but it's good inspiration.

They'd probably also need to, like I said, hire people to deal with these reports.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The biggest and easiest one, in my opinion, is provide way easier ways to submit reports of players. Like, it should be as easy as tab -> right click username -> report player. That's the minimum.

They'd probably also need to, like I said, hire people to deal with these reports.

Yeah, and therein lies the problem they have, and why I fear that this problem isn't going to be solved any time soon. I don't think they want to, or plan on, adding any new members to their team. I think this is a problem they didn't anticipate and a problem they are ill-equipped to deal with on basically every level. I hope that article gives them a wake up call, or at least gives Jax some leverage to communicate to the rest of the team how important the issue is to a lot of people...but it's a dim hope.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I love the gameplay but I can't reccomend this poo poo to anyone till the devs stop sucking the spiders out of hitlers dead dick.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They need to make it easier to kick people, make it mouse-driven. Even if you know how to use console commands, right now all of the biggest trolls have unreproduceable names, so you need to copy their insanely long player id.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the option to turn chat off not work?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

They need to make it easier to kick people, make it mouse-driven. Even if you know how to use console commands, right now all of the biggest trolls have unreproduceable names, so you need to copy their insanely long player id.

You can kick by player number IIRC, the console command is "playerlist" I think.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Motherfucker posted:

I love the gameplay but I can't reccomend this poo poo to anyone till the devs stop sucking the spiders out of hitlers dead dick.

Can you expand on this? Not the dickspider part, but why you wouldn't recommend

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

You're only kicked for 5 minutes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

Can you expand on this? Not the dickspider part, but why you wouldn't recommend

Because just like every other semi-historical game its full of Nazis who absolutely won't shut up about being Nazis. I stopped playing Holdfast over this poo poo. It's just exhausting to know that 80 out of 100 players are gibbering loons making random noises on comms while saying racist comments in chat. Got a real 'humanity is doomed' feel out of it. And it sounds like Mordhau is the same poo poo.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

But Mordhau has no voice chat, and you can easily disable text chat entirely (or, more funnily, motivational mute the offending idiots) so I really struggle to understand the problem.

Anyway, at least at the times I play (from 18 to 20-21, on EU servers) I don't encounter this deluge of shitheads you all seem to see, I have to guess it's an USA problem or a "late night" problem maybe? There's the occasional bad word, or idiot spewing garbage, but I don't even notice it usually because it gets drowned by realchat or just ignored

are you really reading all the messages in the chat anyway? I mean, while playing? I can barely focus enough on the game to not get chopped down

Parachute
May 18, 2003
why yall straight up dont block the chat from your view in the options is beyond me. it doesnt really fix the problem but i mean you cant fix stupid racist idiots.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It astounds me that some people seem to find racists literally every time they go on the internet.

Literally just turn off chat and play with friends how is this hard?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Trying to moderate the game servers, forums or discord is insane, outside of a censored words list.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how small and slow the devs are to begin with, I dont see them hiring the half dozen full time moderators necessary to vigorously police everything. You're just gonna have to turn off chat/motivational mute or find a private server that's monitored.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they really could use a censored words list though, they're not hard to implement in Unreal.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The first step would prrrobably be to disregard the cries of censorship from those who think Hitler was an underachiever, then maybe the rest of the playerbase would feel inclined to help them disassociate their game from white supremacy. They made like a million dollars per developer in the first few weeks, maybe some of that money could go toward hiring a moderator or two as well? Just spitballing here.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I've never seen a moderation team of one or two people ever be more effective then people just using a mute button.
And judging by what happened in Overwatch, dedicating a massive amount of time and resources to moderation isn't more effective then using a mute button either.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
implement National Gamer ID, the minute you're racist in-game you can't play that game anymore ever again

if you try to get someone else's National Gamer ID you go to Superjail

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I've never seen a moderation team of one or two people ever be more effective then people just using a mute button.

I wasn't exactly being literal there, I'm mainly making GBS threads on the map designer who thinks it's a huge problem that RAHOWAGamer1488 gets butthurt over censorship if they take a hard stance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Anyway, at least at the times I play (from 18 to 20-21, on EU servers) I don't encounter this deluge of shitheads you all seem to see, I have to guess it's an USA problem or a "late night" problem maybe? There's the occasional bad word, or idiot spewing garbage, but I don't even notice it usually because it gets drowned by realchat or just ignored

I used to think the same, but now that I'm paying more attention I often see people randomly using slurs in chat. I exclusively play on official EU Frontline servers.

It would be nice if these people went away. I'm not turning off chat, part of the fun in this game is reading people's bad takes/jokes, or making one yourself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also watching dudes rage at tiny poo poo has always been fun and will continue to be, heated gamer moments be damned. Someone was raging about spawncamping the other night lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've never once read anything in chat that wasnt an insult about someone's gameplay, a complaint about <insert weapon here>, or blatant racism/homophobia.

Turning chat off improves this game 105%