Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I could be wrong but I don't think that wifi rental agencies actually have offices in airports. When you pick up from an airport it's just a package they ship to an in-terminal generic logistics company, as you would pick up luggage, etc., and returning all wifi rentals is as easy as dropping the prepaid envelope you get into any domestic mail slot before you go through security.

That's been my experience twice, I expect it's probably the same for most.

The ones that cater to filthy gaijins foreign tourists generally just use the mail, because it's easy to wrap your head around "use the envelope and drop it in the mail." Some of the ones catering to the Japanese population for use outside Japan (see: my wife's rental of an Imoto Wifi for our honeymoon last fall) have places to pick up or drop off at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I could be wrong but I don't think that wifi rental agencies actually have offices in airports. When you pick up from an airport it's just a package they ship to an in-terminal generic logistics company, as you would pick up luggage, etc., and returning all wifi rentals is as easy as dropping the prepaid envelope you get into any domestic mail slot before you go through security.

That's been my experience twice, I expect it's probably the same for most.

I used the company that JR partners with and I was able to pick up my Wi-Fi unit at Fukuoka airport.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Is it worth trying to drop in on the daimonji festival in Kyoto since the timing might work out, or nah

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Consider just getting two sim cards? They're cheap as hell now: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/simcard

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

Unplug and bubble wrap all the components, pack them all in the case and just ship the case? Worst case you're just out the case and/or motherboard.

Just guessing, but that's probably what I'd try.

*edit*
Wrap and box the case, obviously.

This is what I was thinking as well. Pack the case with enough bubble wrap so nothing can move inside and I'd think it'd be fine. Any spinny hard drives I'd bring in my carry-on.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Make sure you put the components in those silver static dissipative bags, and then wrap them in the pink anti-static bubble wrap (the wrap alone is not enough). Don't let the normal clear bubble wrap anywhere near your expensive computer parts

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
use it as an opportunity to do a mini-itx build and use the dan a4 case?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

d0s posted:

Make sure you put the components in those silver static dissipative bags, and then wrap them in the pink anti-static bubble wrap (the wrap alone is not enough). Don't let the normal clear bubble wrap anywhere near your expensive computer parts

Ah yeah right, forgot the static bags. You definitely will want those before you go wrapping poo poo in bubble wrap.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Sounds like bubblewrapping the parts, putting them in the case and shipping the case is the way to go here. Considering I'm going to be staying at a guest house for the first several months anyway, I'll just have a friend ship me the case as soon as I got a proper place.

d0s posted:

Thanks for this. I completely didn't think about that.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Japan is good

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What the hell is with Ginza making every photo look like it came from anime?

totalnewbie posted:

Consider just getting two sim cards? They're cheap as hell now: https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/simcard

This is what we did. I wasn't sure how much my daughter & I were going to be exploring separately so I didn't want to just carry a hotspot. I'd ordered a pair of Klook sim cards but went to the Narita Express desk before the Klook desk and our train was only 5 minutes away, so I didn't have time to grab the Klook sim cards. They refunded me and I picked up a pair of 5gb Docomo NTT cards at Bic for a similar price. Had my phone set to "data saver" mode for the first few days, but only used up a gig or so and I wasn't going easy on it. Let it run in normal mode the rest of the trip and was still used just under 4gb total in the week. I could have easily gone with a 3gb card and cared more about connecting to wifi.

can confirm

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Japan was fun, I’d go again. Wouldn’t live there, I don’t think.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I just bought a sim at bic camera or whatever at the airport. You don't have to plan ahead, and can just throw it in the trash at the end.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone going to be around in Tokyo on August 27-30? I've got no real plans beyond a dinner reservation on the 28th and gorging on かき氷 until my brain is frozen solid.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's an opening for a full-time eikaiwa (business lessons, no kids) in my area, here on the civilized half of Shikoku. Rent is affordable and while they prefer not-fresh-grad people, they are not too strict about nationality or pureblood. PM me? Or just ask lol (I don't work there)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm going to be in Tokyo for 11 days this winter, I think I'm just going to go to a different section of the city each day and do stuff there before returning to my hotel in Ginza every night. Besides super obvious places like Shibuya and places like that, are there any lesser known districts I should keep in mind when finding places to go? Great food is almost more important than anything else, but I also enjoy good museums and shrines- shopping is the least important thing to me.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm going to be in Tokyo for 11 days this winter, I think I'm just going to go to a different section of the city each day and do stuff there before returning to my hotel in Ginza every night. Besides super obvious places like Shibuya and places like that, are there any lesser known districts I should keep in mind when finding places to go? Great food is almost more important than anything else, but I also enjoy good museums and shrines- shopping is the least important thing to me.

11 days is a lot for tokyo - i'd suggest setting aside a day or two for sidetrips to hakone, nikko, or the like. Otherwise within the city there's:
-Museums: the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku and the Edo-Tokyo Open-Air Architectural Museum are both top picks. Second one is out in the suburbs a little but since you have time I'd recommend it. There's the National Museum and the other assorted museums in Ueno Park too
-Nerd stuff: Besides Akihabara, there's nakano broadway if you want similar toy/game/hobby stores but with a slightly more chill and less over-the-top vibe
-Food: Get a crepe in Harajuku if you like sweet. Also near Harajuku there's a restaurant called Sakuratei if you want to try making your own okonomiyaki. Get indian curry at least once. For sushi-go-rounds i like Oedo Sushi bcs it's good value for the price, but there are plenty of other good ones too. Tasty soba and udon places are everywhere but i personally like Miyota near omotesando station. If you want korean there's a gazillion good places in shin-okubo. honestly if you're even slightly discerning it's basically impossible to have a bad meal in tokyo so follow your nose wherever it leads
-Shrines: spend an afternoon around Asakusa for the temple and the nice shopping district. Ueno park also has a very pretty lake with another big famous shrine. And of course there's yoyogi park near harajuku... uh that's all the major ones i think
-As far as obscure districts go there's a cute old-fashioned shopping alley in Yanaka, which isn't too far from Ueno. There's also a cemetery path with very pretty cherry trees but you won't be visiting in the right season so ymmv.
-personally i think odaiba's worth a visit just for the views from the tram, provided the weather is nice. The miraikan science museum is also in that area along with an onsen that's famous and decent but kind of overpriced; if you really want to do an onsen trip (you should) then go to hakone or even just a nice public bathhouse in town

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
good food is all over tokyo so just do whatever.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Oedo Onsen is better than no onsen but yeah its an overpriced tourist trap. For something slightly more authentic in downtown Tokyo try here or here. Both within like 30 minutes of Ginza, I guess.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Definitely going to Hakkone one day and the mountain area to the north that I currently forget the name of, but last time I came to japan I was there for two and a half weeks and basically did nothing in Tokyo but Disney so this is a correction.

Definitely sad about the lack of Onsens but there seem to be some around Hakkone.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Skip Hakkone unless you've really got your heart set on it. I'd hit up something in Gunma or Izu instead.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i like hakone a lot but definitely go on a weekday and if you buy the transport pass dont lose it like an idiot like i did

i was lucky the weather was good when i went there and i got a really good pic next to fuji with the gate really clearly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We did 12 hours in Hakone and it sucked. It was even foggy the whole time in the morning so my dad was super pissed. Skip.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
A good kakigori is about a million times better than a crepe. Why the hell would you get a crepe in Japan.

Go to Sebastian in Shibuya and order any one of their kakigori - strawberry creme brûlée is a great choice and almost always on the menu.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

A good kakigori is about a million times better than a crepe. Why the hell would you get a crepe in Japan.

Go to Sebastian in Shibuya and order any one of their kakigori - strawberry creme brûlée is a great choice and almost always on the menu.

Why have you not made some YouTube videos and a site about this stuff.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Why have you not made some YouTube videos and a site about this stuff.

Where do you think he heard of it?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Crepes in Japan always look disgusting to me, they're not even crepes, they're fat slabs of flour wrapped around a mountain of ice cream. I imagine that they have a really mealy taste, like American pancakes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Those I've had did not taste mealy at all, they've all been good. Also the main fill is generally not ice cream but sweetened whipped cream. I've had good Harajuku crepes and good kakigoori, both are delicious.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

Where do you think he heard of it?

Neither YouTube or a website.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I am french so I am speaking on official authority to say that the crepes I've had in Japan are good

Yeah they're maybe not the same style and fluffyness as you'd get elsewhere but I like the thicker batter and I'm a sucker for all those toppings

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
They’re not bad. But why get a crepe in Japan when there are amazing local desserts. You can get good crepes anywhere in the world. Guess you might as well hit up Burger King, Outback Steakhouse, and TGIF as well.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been in Shinjuku for a few days and haven't had a good meal here yet but I'm lazy, busy AND jet-lagged

I did have good takoyaki today, that is cool and, also, good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

I've been in Shinjuku for a few days and haven't had a good meal here yet but I'm lazy, busy AND jet-lagged

I did have good takoyaki today, that is cool and, also, good

I'd have taken you somewhere if I knew you were here.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

I'd have taken you somewhere if I knew you were here.

I specifically didn't reach out for the very reasons in the post you quoted

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:colbert:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo string, don't take it personally, I didn't reach out to anyone, I woke up this morning at 2:35am Tokyo time. my schedule is all screwy. I am free tomorrow evening but evening for me is like 2pm to 6pm. I'll be back soon enough for an extend period of time to a) poo poo up the thread and b) harass you into meals if you're willing.

if you wanna do something tomorrow evening I can swing it, I just might crash mightly at like 8pm, I tried going to this good gyoza place today near my hotel at like 6pm and there was an 18-person wait list deep list and I was like "nah gently caress this" and went and got a single sushi roll and two beers at 7-11, now I'm falling asleep in bed watching baseball highlights on youtube. wat a time to be alive

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

prompt posted:

We got a cheesecake from that Riccardo’s place and dude, that is not cheesecake. I don’t know what the gently caress that is. Japan is meh with pastries.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

We got a cheesecake from that Riccardo’s place and dude, that is not cheesecake. I don’t know what the gently caress that is. Japan is meh with pastries.

the fluffy japanese cheesecake owns its good and tastes nice. i made one the other week and it was jiggly + delicious.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Pollyanna posted:

I prefer the lighter Japanese cheesecakes. The normal one is great for the first 2-3 bites, then it just wears out its welcome to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
thirding that japanese cheesecake rules