Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's less a trap and more it does what it says on the tin, it also doesn't protect machinery spaces and hits there can really be bad news. However it has different uses for different types of ships.

If you're using it for BB's you should be armoring enough that the halved protection everywhere else is equal to what you were going to stick on them anyway (i.e. 2x your planned armor so the normal space have decent protection.) This way it's really an *increase* in tonnage in exchange for making your magazines basically invincible (no more random explosive deaths).

For other things like CL/CLAA etc it's a way to skimp on armor if you don't expect them to face a lot of direct fire.

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/3027/magazine-box-aon

quote:

Okay so I just lost a 70000 Ton Battleship with magazine box to a single 5" hit that caused such extreme flooding that the whole boat sank. I'm not doing this anymore on anything that cost me money.

:lol::lol::lol:

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Historically, box protection was only used in situations where armor wasn’t a priority. I wouldn’t use it on a BB unless I felt like I really had to.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Any advice for playing the Soviets in 1920? Looks like I start with some comically lovely pre-dreads accounting for the majority of my tonnage which I'm probably going to mothball or scrap almost immediately, particularly since I have a bunch of BBs already under construction. Everybody except the Germans seems to outgun me massively, although they also all have much more territory to cover. I'm running an enormous deficit from turn 1 so that's fun.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 3, 2019

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Obfuscation posted:

How much of a trap is box protection on BBs or other ships where armor actually matters? It cuts a lot of weight, and I'm worried that it makes you that much more vulnerable to random flotation hits.

I've never used it on straight up BBs, but I used it on some small BCs and it wasn't bad. Instead of armoring them normally and then checking magazine box to save weight the way I would on light cruisers, I spent about the same weight on armor as I would have without magazine box. My logic was that magazine box lets you get immunity zones on ships that otherwise wouldn't have them at the cost of less armor outside the magazine box, but without the weight savings I wouldn't have been able to meaningfully armor those parts of the ship anyway (and I had 4"+ deck and belt so they were at least splinter proof).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Mister Bates posted:

Any advice for playing the Soviets in 1920? Looks like I start with some comically lovely pre-dreads accounting for the majority of my tonnage which I'm probably going to mothball or scrap almost immediately, particularly since I have a bunch of BBs already under construction. Everybody except the Germans seems to outgun me massively, although they also all have much more territory to cover. I'm running an enormous deficit from turn 1 so that's fun.

Mothball and reserve everything.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Feels like late game the AI spends so much on planes they can't afford any boats.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Feels like late game the AI spends so much on planes they can't afford any boats.

Yeah but then the game spawns any battle where you don't have a carrier and if you don't immediately turn around and run for the nearest port you get sunk by three hundred land-based torpedo bombers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there any way to tell my ships to stop pumping torpedoes into the burning, immobile heavy cruiser that hasn't fired a shot in like ten minutes?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Mister Bates posted:

Is there any way to tell my ships to stop pumping torpedoes into the burning, immobile heavy cruiser that hasn't fired a shot in like ten minutes?

right click on the offending divisions flag on the map - one of the buttons on the right of the div info window should be a torpedo hold fire toggle

on an unrelated matter: late 40s and onwards mass carrier battles are insane! two back to back battles with Germany as the USSR and 2/3 of Germany's capital ships are sunk almost entirely by dive and torpedo bombers with hundreds of air losses on each side. 1600lb AP bombs are no joke - I've detonated more than one BC/CV from magazine penetrations.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 4, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how far away should you be before re-enabling torpedos though

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There's nothing quite like the feeling you get when the war's nearly won, you've sunk almost the entire German navy, and all they're able to field in what will be one of the last engagements of the war is a light cruiser and a destroyer...which proceed to blitz into the middle of your formation and put three torpedoes into your prize battleship, sinking her immediately.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nothing like the feeling when you're up by 40,000 VP and the US or UK enters the war against you.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Arglebargle III posted:

Nothing like the feeling when you're up by 40,000 VP as the US and Japan and the UK enter the war as your allies.

Fixed for my last run (Russia got desperate with their subs and sank one too many liners)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are CLs supposed to be expendable deathtraps or am I doing something wrong with them? The game's battle gen really likes to throw my light cruisers alone into heavy fleet engagements with enemy BBs and BCs, and the CL's torps can theoretically wreck poo poo, but their survivability against those heavy hitters is extremely low without any CA or BC support. How do I keep them from exploding by the dozen in every battle?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

Are CLs supposed to be expendable deathtraps or am I doing something wrong with them? The game's battle gen really likes to throw my light cruisers alone into heavy fleet engagements with enemy BBs and BCs, and the CL's torps can theoretically wreck poo poo, but their survivability against those heavy hitters is extremely low without any CA or BC support.

I mean...don't engage capital ships with light ships, is a good general plan. Always try to make sure your CLs are fast enough to escape anything they don't clearly outgun, and use them only as screens or independent in big battles. They aren't meant to be hit by heavy caliber shell fire.

I was about halfway through writing this before I remembered I'd already written it. This is my approach with CLs:

bewbies posted:

CLs:
- early game, decide if you want to win with a guerre de course, or with naval superiority. If guerre de course, build a ton of cheap raiders, prioritizing range, reliability, and speed. If you want to win with naval superiority, build a smaller number of "heavy" CLs that can win one on one versus any other CL. Fit as much armor and guns on them as you can, then think about speed...an 8000 ton CL can often be fast enough to catch lighter cruisers. If you have colonial holdings, also build a "colonial" class of CL, that displaces at least 6,000 tons, has colonial service appointments, and is otherwise as cheap as possible in order to fill your foreign station obligations. Late game, build CLs as CLAAs for carrier support: all the AA you can fit on them (including DP main guns), plus as many floatplanes as you can fit on them. Keep using "colonial" CLs the entire game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't be afraid to keep going beyond 30 knots. 33 knots isn't a bad speed for a late game light cruiser. They really need to be able to run away from late game fast ships.

Fun fact, the Royal Navy's first 35 knot heavy cruiser class suffered bow collapses at top speed and had to be rebuilt to withstand the force of their own movement through the water.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
lmao

From undamaged to dead in one turn.

This particular BC design has been wrecking poo poo against the Germans, but there's really not much you can do when the destroyers get lucky. Got ambushed at night in the loving fog.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 5, 2019

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Finally got my key a few days ago and so far this game has been fun. Hoping someone can roll out an Ottoman Empire mod at some point, playing them and slapping Austria and Italy for paltry gains in the Med is always a fun fight.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Ottoman aircraft carriers would be great and I hope somebody does that sooner rather than later.

I'd also love to see some Southern Hemisphere powers, even if we have to get pretty alt-hist about it, like a resurgent Empire of Brazil or a Zulu empire that successfully booted the British out of South Africa. Independent India immediately after a successful nationalist revolt would be pretty rad too.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

1920 Japan Game has been fun. Have to feel sorry for the Soviets after the 3rd surprise attack on Vladivostok to start the next war. Though in the 3rd and last one one of my brand new destroyers torpedoed TWO of my brand new shiny heavy cruisers at point blank range and sank them both :v:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
if broadsides were good enough for 1702 they're good enough for 1902

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mister Bates posted:

Does this... work?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Gort posted:

Does this... work?

It works in the sense that it's a valid design that the game allows me to build. It also technically enormously outguns anything else any other navy is building, and has enough armor to at least hold its own against other pre-dreads. It's one knot faster than any pre-dread any of the other navies are building, too.

Remains to be seen how it actually stacks up in a real fight, though. I figure at knife-fight range its powerful broadside will allow it to knock enemy Bs and CAs out quickly, and its large tertiary armament will help deter DDs, but at range it will probably suffer to ships with better primary armament. It will also be obsolete almost immediately.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And plenty of ammo for the 12" guns. Let's have a trip report when one of those gets into a fight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Some early French aircraft pics for you:

Very early biplane indeed.

Your engineers were so busy asking whether or not they could, they didn't stop to ask if they should.

Mais pour quoi François?

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to land...

This one is a low cantilevered-wing monocoque monoplane that was wildly ahead of its time in 1911. Unfortunately it could not achieve flight.

This was an attempt to solve the Allied deficiency in machine gun timing gear in WW I. You may want to look closely to discern its drawbacks.

Modern fighter entered development in 1935, was delayed by problems for so long that the lone production plane manufactured never made it to French service.

Nothing wrong with this heavy fighter, it was just scheduled to enter service in 1941.

Ditto for this fighter.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 8, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

It works in the sense that it's a valid design that the game allows me to build. It also technically enormously outguns anything else any other navy is building, and has enough armor to at least hold its own against other pre-dreads. It's one knot faster than any pre-dread any of the other navies are building, too.

Remains to be seen how it actually stacks up in a real fight, though. I figure at knife-fight range its powerful broadside will allow it to knock enemy Bs and CAs out quickly, and its large tertiary armament will help deter DDs, but at range it will probably suffer to ships with better primary armament. It will also be obsolete almost immediately.

4 inch armor on 11 inch turrets sounds exciting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An actual cool French design for a naval fighter from the 1940s.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mister Bates posted:

At this point why not casemate secondaries?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Great blurb:

hush-kit posted:

Blackburn ‘Twin Blackburn’ or ‘TB'
Apparently named after a disease, the TB was a bad aircraft that could not perform the one task it was designed for and thus set a precedent for many Blackburn designs to come. The Twin Blackburn nevertheless saw service for a year or so before it was finally put out of its misery and all nine examples were scrapped. Intended to destroy Zeppelins, the floatplane TB was supposed to climb above them and drop explosive Ranken darts on any insolent dirigibles foolish enough to approach its precious airspace. Unfortunately, the poor underpowered Twin Blackburn was unable to drag itself to airship operating altitude, even after its deadly cargo of explosive darts had been cut by two thirds. Furthermore the structure, which consisted of nothing more complicated than a couple of B.E.2 fuselages lashed together with a new set of wings and a vast amount of hope triumphing over experience, was not very rigid and the action of warping the wings flexed the poor TB so much it could end up turning in the opposite direction. The observer sat in one fuselage, the pilot in the other and communication was impossible except through waving, presumably to prevent either expressing to the other their true opinions of the designer of this radical machine. As if that were not enough, the wooden floats were mounted directly below the rotary engines. Rotaries drip out a lot of oil and as a result the TB’s floats would often catch fire. It would be nice to say that despite all this the TB inspired the fantastic Twin-Mustang but of course it didn’t.

hush-kit posted:

Blackburn Firebrand

The story of the Firebrand torpedo fighter is a rotten one. The specification for the type was issued in 1939, but it was not until the closing weeks of the war that it began to enter service. Despite a luxuriously long development, it was an utter pig, with stability issues in all axes and a tendency to lethal stalls. There was a litany of restrictions to try and reduce the risks, including the banning of external tanks, but it still remained ineffective and dangerous to fly. Worse still, instead of trying to rectify the problems the FAA started a witch hunt of those pilots who dared to speak the truth about the abysmal Firebrand. Only two Firebrand squadrons formed, of which the flying complement was heavily, if not entirely made up of qualified flying instructors, suggesting only the most experienced pilots could be trusted with this unforgiving monster.

"stability issues in all axes" is not a phrase you want to see

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Arglebargle III posted:

An actual cool French design for a naval fighter from the 1940s.

Is that an intake there behind the cockpit? Is this one of those bizarro mixed power designs?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Early German medium bomber:

hush-kit posted:

Siemens-Schuckert Forssman "Großernutzloser Ladenhüter"

Virtually all First World War aircraft were, by modern standards, hopeless and awful. However Siemens-Schuckert’s first foray into the world of large bomber aircraft was a stand-out example of dreadful uselessness, an aircraft so woeful that it eventually collapsed in an act of overdue self-destructive embarrassment. The Forssman’s problems began before even the first wood was cut, canvas sewn or the workers got out of bed in the eponymous form of Villehad Forssman, the luckless aircraft’s Swedish designer. German aviation benefited immensely from at least one aircraft designer from a neutral nation in the form of Dutchman Antony Fokker, a notorious self-publicist but undeniably an engineer of talent. Sadly Forssman was no Fokker, and his engineering abilities would not prove equal to his Jules Verne-eque dreams of giant aircraft.

It would appear that the Forssman aircraft was ‘inspired’ (less sympathetic voices might say ‘a copy’) of Igor Sikorsky’s impressive Ilya Muromets, the world’s first four engine aircraft. A famous photograph depicts one of these aircraft in flight and the first thing one notices is the two stalwart Russian cavalry officers promenading on the roof of the aircraft as if taking a stroll on an aircraft during flight were the most normal thing in the world. One of the other things one may notice is that the pilot is shoving in downward elevator as though his life depended on it, as indeed it might. In other words it appears to be tail heavy. When Forssman designed his own aircraft for German cavalry officers to stroll on the roof of, he apparently decided being insanely tail heavy was also definitely the way to go, a situation that would prove almost fatal to the test pilot once the aircraft actually managed to fly. However, any proper idea of flight was a long way off yet as during taxi trials and minimal hops, many of the faults of Forssman’s creation became apparent. The structure was deemed to be too weak and was beefed up, not least by adding more wing struts, the first of an unprecedented five major, and ultimately futile, rebuilds and redesigns. There was insufficient tail area, so a second rudder was added and the wings were rigged with slight dihedral. At the same time an attempt to balance the tail-heaviness issue was made by crudely adding a tub-like gunner’s position on the nose.

Further short hops revealed that the modifications had not made the aircraft anywhere near acceptable. Any reasonable manufacturer would have cut their losses, dumped this hopeless aircraft and moved on but Siemens-Schuckert were determined that they should get some kind of return for their investment and besides, Vilehad Forssman had by now severed connections with the company so, they reasoned, a different (better) engineer should be able to rework the aircraft into something acceptable. Harald Wolff, who would later design Siemens-Schuckert’s excellent fighter aircraft, was the man chosen for this unenviable task. Wolff Added more powerful Mercedes engines in the inboard positons, leaving the outer engines as they were. All the engines received streamlined and strengthened mountings and the whole nose of the aircraft was reworked into a pointed shape with massive round windows. The pilot now sat in comfort under a fully enclosed cockpit, an incongrously advanced feature. Unfortunately the designated test pilot, after some ground runs and despite his comfortable enclosed cockpit, refused (wisely) to fly the aircraft. Siemens-Schuckert managed to persuade air-ace and pre-war test pilot Walter Hohndorf to perform the first flight but in September 1915, whilst completing another test hop, something went awry, the aircraft turned onto its back and was partially wrecked.

hush-kit posted:

Siemens-Schuckert, who were nothing if not persistent, mended the wings of the aircraft and fitted another new nose. Now desperate to get something – anything – for their hopeless machine, Dr Reichel the technical director of Siemens-Schuckert persuaded the Army to lower the specification the aircraft was required to achieve before they would buy it in return for a reduction in the purchase price. The new specification required the aircraft to reach 2000 meters in 30 minutes carrying a useful load of 1000 kg and enough fuel for 4 hours. Meanwhile he offered Bruno Steffen, himself a successful aircraft designer, 10% of the sale price if he could make the acceptance flight which was scheduled for October. Despite warnings from friends regarding the structural safety of the aircraft, Bruno decided after inspecting factory drawings and the aircraft itself that it was strong enough. However he was concerned that he would lack the strength necessary to operate the massive tail surfaces. On the day of the flight Steffen invited five passengers to accompany him, including members of the Army acceptance commission but all politely declined.

On take off Steffen found that the Forssman’s tail-heaviness meant that he had to push the control column fully forward to maintain level flight. To make turns he had to pull it back to the neutral position, turn the wheel as quickly as he could, and immediately return it to the fully-forward position to avoid a stall. The aircraft was virtually uncontrollable. Nonetheless it achieved the required 2000 metres in 30 minutes and the Army agreed in April 1916 to buy it as a trainer, despite its total unsuitability for that or any other task. Luckily for everyone however the rear fuselage collapsed when the engines were run up on the ground and no one else had to risk life and limb in Forssman’s pathetic aircraft.

And that would have been that except for one strange coda – in 1918 a truly gigantic ten-engine triplane named ‘Poll’ after the town of its construction was designed. It was structurally weak, of unprecedented size and ludicrously tail-heavy, which sounds oddly familiar. It was intended to bomb New York but construction was halted due to the armistice. Its designer was Villehad Forssman and one wonders how he managed to persuade anyone to build this new ridiculous aircraft. A single giant wheel from the Poll survives to this day in the collection of the Imperial War Museum to remind the world of Forssman’s folly.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mister Bates posted:

That thing is going to blow up the second anything hit those 4 inches of secondary turret armor.

I bet the explosion will be gigantic though.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

That ship is for players who feel that the early game does not have enough decisive battles. Win or lose, some boats will not be making it back to port.

I would bet this is an amazing ship to have when you outnumber them, but then I wonder if it becomes a liability in every other scenario. No secondary director means those guns won't actually be hitting often, even by pre-dreadnought standards, so you now have a big expensive ship that could potentially be lost immediately up against a smaller cruiser.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm about to throw it into a battleship engagement, so we'll see how it goes! Even if it blows up, it should be funny.

Pirate Radar posted:

At this point why not casemate secondaries?

Can't believe I didn't think of that! If I try this again I'm going to put them in casemates and use the weight saving to add more secondary armor.

Can you put primary armament in casemates?

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
You can, I saw someone do it in one of these threads. I can't remember the trick to it though

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can. Only works for some turret positions; you just set the number of guns/turret to 0.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I was hoping to be able to post a trip report but unfortunately the Austro-Hungarians are utterly unwilling to actually engage - even in the battles they're not declining they just immediately turn tail and run for port.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This was an easy choice

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Just got this and am having to s of fun but could use some explanation of the absolute basics.

-What is worth including in a real refit of your older ships? I’ve figured out that upgrading firing control is worth it but other then that what’s worth it?

-is there an online guide to historical ship designs that I can use as a guide? Right now I’m just clicking the auto design function and messing around with what the game gives me.

Plus any other tips for a complete novice to the series would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

AA guns are super worth it when they become available. Once CVs start showing up, any ship bigger than a DD needs AA or you may as well scrap it. It's cheap and quick to add.

Ships become obsolete after 10 years, but rebuilding resets this timer. Even if you don't add anything, the rebuild will still upgrade things that are not represented on the design screen (I think? The manual could use some work). Obsolete ships cost more in maintenance and probably have other issues that aren't documented anywhere.

In some cases it might be worth it to upgrade your gun quality. There is a significant difference between -1 and +1 quality, the most obvious being the maximum range. Once high angle guns become available, it's "free" to apply to older ships, and in doing so it greatly increases your range and hits deck armor much more effectively.

That also means your older ships with 1.5" deck armor are going to have a really hard time. You can think about clicking that "add more deck armor" button. IMO that's not worth it, it's a mothball or a scrap for me, but there are probably some situations it's a good idea. Usually my ships can't take the extra weight without a machinery upgrade, and that is extremely expensive by itself, so I've never done it.

For inspiration, I use Wikipedia (most of the relevant stats are on there!) and I lurk on the official discord. There's a ship design channel on there that gets a decent amount of activity so you can at least see what other people are doing.

I've only been playing a few weeks but the game has hooked me, too. The main thing I wish this game had that it currently doesn't would be simulations of other wars happening between other countries and maybe some indication about what is happening on land other than those random messages sometimes about front lines moving.