Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I got some really nice albums done with Zno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Wait what's this about Amazon registry being impossible to find/use? Do I need to migrate to a new registry before the website goes live?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The registry is on another tab that's kind of hidden and the link is the same text size and color as everything else and honestly your guests aren't doing to go and dig for it, you'll be lucky if they look for the directions to the venue

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm a graphic designer so my perspective is probably different, but there's no way a photo album is worth $1500 or whatever. You just gotta make sure you have reproduction rights and get print-quality large (LARGE, I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH, HI RES IS NOT A SIZE AND 300DPI AT 4X6 IS NOT 300 DPI AT A LARGER SIZE) files. Files is the key word here. There are a bunch of web applications you can work with from there even without being an expert. Reproduction rights and lots of pixels is worth thousands; a single album is emphatically not.

Look, lots of photographers out there are making their margin on these albums, and maybe someone else is paying and really wants an album so it's worth it. Maybe it's a smart photographer and the big files come packaged with an album and they aren't done separately. But there is no goddamn way it's worth over a grand for a single physical album unless that poo poo is gilded.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Thumbtacks posted:

this might not be exactly the right thread for this, but. how do i get over this feeling? i hate that i feel weird about it and a little resentful because it's not like she really did anything WRONG

Been a few days but I didn't like that the only responses you got were basically "don't feel bad because she's only getting married for the wedding/to check a box/it'll end up with her in an unhappy marriage or divorced". Maybe those are her motivations and maybe it'll end poorly, but maybe she just knows she wants to be with this guy and maybe they'll have a long happy marriage. Also, a MRS degree is one obtained with the end goal of finding a husband – and what a patronizing assumption to make that that's the only reason she's getting a nursing degree (not that you were the one saying this). I guess what I'm saying is, your peace with this shouldn't hinge on this being a bad idea for her. Not to sound too cliche, but everyone is taking their own path and you can't measure your timeline by hers. I think it would be helpful to self-reflect on where this resent is coming from: are you concerned that she's making the wrong choice? Are you feeling like your choices are being judged or that you should have been ready to marry earlier? Do your parents pit you against each other or make a lot of comparisons? Are you jealous that there will be more attention on her since her wedding is first?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for the response. I talked to my sister about it a bit and my fiancee and my parents and I think I know what the root of the problem is.

For me, at least, I think it was concern that she's going too quickly and she's going to get hurt or regret it. My entire family (except me) is super Christian so there's elements of that at play here. No sex before marriage, don't live together before marriage, etc. I'm worried that if this ends up sucking for her she won't consider divorce and she'll just be stuck in something she's rushing into. But that's not really fair to my sister because that's just me not trusting her. She's not naive, she knows what she wants and she knows when to say no. So I really just need to trust her about it. To me it sounded like "we need to move in together because i desperately want to not live at home anymore and also i need to gently caress" but I know her and she wouldn't make a decision that heavy for something like that.

My fiancee, however, seemed mainly concerned that my sister has basically done all her planning already and it freaked her out because it made her feel like we're behind on wedding planning because my sister already has a day and venue picked out. Granted, that's because she's thought about this for years (about the venue) and has a set date when she graduates so she can get out of the house forever a few days later (the wedding date). We don't really have that pressure and it's not a time crunch for us, but I think it freaked her out a bit and made her worried she hasn't prepared for anything at all. She's not the type of girl that really thought about her wedding when she was younger though so that doesn't surprise me. We talked about it and smoothed things out, we're finalizing a tentative guest list tonight that we've been working on all week and then on Sunday we're touring a venue and maybe another one if they get back to us in time. We have the general AREA picked out but the venue itself is still up in the air. We have time, though.

Personally I'm not too concerned with it happening for her first in relation to MY wedding, I'm just concerned she's rushing things. But it doesn't seem like she is. It'll be useful for hers to be first, honestly, for two reasons. One, we're going to have a smaller one compared to her relatively large one so I won't be able to invite a lot of relatives to MINE but they'll be at my sister's so at least they can meet my fiancee and stuff. Two, we can basically take notes and see what we like, what we don't like, and what we could improve on based on her wedding.

There's also a slight concern about price, I think my sister's looking at around 21k for the wedding venue which is ridiculous. I think that's also freaking my fiancee out a bit, I know my sister's fiance has a job and some money saved up but I imagine my parents are going to chip in for the majority of it. Comparatively speaking, my fiancee's parents are relatively poor and definitely can't shell out 20k. They probably can contribute like 5k max. I don't really subscribe to the whole "bride's parents pay for the wedding, groom's pay for the honeymoon" thing (which is something i've heard from my family, I have no loving idea if that's even a thing at all). I'm sure my parents will chip in too but I'm just going into it assuming we have a much smaller budget to start with.

We're probably going to see if we can stay under 10k for the whole thing, but that still inevitably leads to some feelings of resentment (unfairly, but you can't help how you feel sometimes) because hers is going to be way cooler probably. Although I know her and it's going to be WAY over the top and not like me and my fiancee at all so I don't think it's going to be a "man this is my dream wedding" feeling and more of a "jesus christ this is expensive" feeling so I don't think it's really jealousy, more like something i'm going to feel like we need ours to "live up to". I'll get over that too, I just need to self reflect and talk about it more.

but yeah that's basically what's going on with me, sorry for the novel

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
That's a nice update from your last post! It sounds like everyone involved has good heads on their shoulders. It might help budget stress if you talk to your parents and clarify how much (if any) financial support you'll be receiving from them. For what it's worth, I've been to some really nice budget weddings and some underwhelming weddings that broke the bank. Do your best with what you have and it'll be fine. Do your sister and fiancée get along at all? I had a close relative getting married a couple months before I did, and even though our planning didn't overlap at all really (different budgets and opposite sides of the country), it was still nice having someone to commiserate with and bounce ideas off of and go to for the kind of support you can only get from someone who is also in the middle of it (or just on the other side).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Invalid Octopus posted:

That's a nice update from your last post! It sounds like everyone involved has good heads on their shoulders. It might help budget stress if you talk to your parents and clarify how much (if any) financial support you'll be receiving from them. For what it's worth, I've been to some really nice budget weddings and some underwhelming weddings that broke the bank. Do your best with what you have and it'll be fine. Do your sister and fiancée get along at all? I had a close relative getting married a couple months before I did, and even though our planning didn't overlap at all really (different budgets and opposite sides of the country), it was still nice having someone to commiserate with and bounce ideas off of and go to for the kind of support you can only get from someone who is also in the middle of it (or just on the other side).

I'm meeting my parents for dinner tonight so I'll probably talk about it then. Having an idea of a budget and of a guest list will help us on Sunday. She gets along great with my sister but I think my sister's so excited about her stuff and constantly texting my fiancee with it that it's starting to freak my fiancee out again and she's stressing out. She'll be okay.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Thumbtacks posted:

We're probably going to see if we can stay under 10k for the whole thing, but that still inevitably leads to some feelings of resentment (unfairly, but you can't help how you feel sometimes) because hers is going to be way cooler probably. Although I know her and it's going to be WAY over the top and not like me and my fiancee at all so I don't think it's going to be a "man this is my dream wedding" feeling and more of a "jesus christ this is expensive" feeling so I don't think it's really jealousy, more like something i'm going to feel like we need ours to "live up to". I'll get over that too, I just need to self reflect and talk about it more.

Our wedding came in at around £7k in total and it was the best wedding I've been to, which I mean to say without the obvious bias... This was backed up by everyone commenting on how unique and personal and fun it was compared to lots of other weddings. You do you, don't feel pressured into upping the budget - so much of the cost associated with weddings seems to be for the traditional aspects like the princess dress and the chicken-three-ways catering at a fancy hotel, which don't have to be part of your day if you don't want. Your guests will enjoy your wedding for what it is, and I'm sure hers will for hers, and that is ok.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think we found our place. :toot:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I ordered my wedding band, it has stripes like a tiger, I probably massively overpaid for it but it feels good to have almost all this ish figured out...

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Maybe-dumb ring question - I got engaged last June, fiance and I ring shopped together. I don't (didn't) wear rings so I tried a ring sizer at the jeweler and we got my ring in what I thought was the right size, and I was not correct, it was too big. Got it sized down a half size in August last year, it felt right for a few months, then in the fall it started to slide around & spin a lot again. I lost a little weight (like 10-12lb) at the time, but I didn't expect my ring size to change in response to that, especially not a half ring size when I already have tiny fingers - my ring is currently a size 4. I'd heard that sometimes your fingers can get smaller in the winter and bigger in the summer, so I've been wearing it with one of those little plastic size adjuster coils that you wrap around the inside of the band to make it tighter. But now it's summer again and it's still too loose.

Do your fingers adjust to rings or shrink permanently in response to wearing them? Is that a thing?

I know I should just go get it sized down again, but I am a little worried about making it too small and my fingers puffing back up or something.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
If it's been a year and it's still too big I would get it sized down. Are you planning on fusing your engagement and wedding rings, though? Because current size might be better if so. Fingers defs get used to wearing rings ime.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Fingers do get used to wearing rings to some level, but after a year I'd say you should get it sized down. Fingers change mostly based on a few things, weight gain/loss, cold/hot weather, salty food consumption, and alcohol consumption.

All of those are temporary (except for weight), if your ring is loose for longer than a season, give or take, it should be sized. A normally sized band should be fine in all seasons, just slightly tighter in the summer and slightly looser in the winter.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Does anyone have any experience with elopement packages? My partner and I would like to elope somewhere in Europe, and there's a bunch of companies that provide weddings for two, but their prices vary a lot depending on the company and the country. I just don't want to get taken advantage of.

I also never thought I'd get married and I have no idea what I'm doing. Forgive me if I sound ignorant. Both of our families have never really help weddings in high regard, so this is new to both of us.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Any of you have advice for surving a wedding you don't really want? I mean, I want to be married, I don't want the wedding part really.

I have generalized anxiety disorder and hate being the center of attention. If it were up to me, we would elope and have a small backyard party later with a few people to celebrate. My fiancee is sympathetic but wants an actual wedding, so while we are compromising and trying to keep things as simple and low key as possible I still need to get through this.

We were both hoping for a smallish wedding, but her parents are largely paying for it, so when her mother gave a list of 60 must attend guests we couldn't really say no. We're keeping it to 100 people, but an added complication is I know very few of the people coming. I moved to the east coast from the midwest for work a decade ago, and making friends in your 30s when you don't know anyone and have anxiety issues is not an easy feat. I have roughly 10 family members traveling in for the wedding, and maybe 5 local friends. Everyone else is my fiancee's family or friends, most of which I dont know.

I'm mostly checked out of the wedding planning process and we have things like venue, date, and catering done. My fiancee's mother is driving us both a little crazy though, and some things stress us both out. We talked to a DJ tonight for example, and because neither of us really have any preference to what gets played other than no country or those line dance numbers or anything, and we have no clue what we want our first dance to be, it just stressed us both out.

I'll get through this but wish it was something I could enjoy instead of dread. Anyone has any ideas they are appreciated.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Speaking of a DJ if you get yourself a good one they'll gladly be the center of attention instead of you. They have differing degrees of involvement in the reception event, all the way up to doing triple duty as an announcer and wedding planner. When I was much younger I worked for Complete Music disc jockey which is nationwide and they definitely encouraged us to be very hands on like that with the on the fly decisions, ultimately leaving you less to deal with. That still won't relieve you from any aspects of the wedding planning prior to the day of, but you'll know you at least will have some weight off once the reception gets started. On the job I occasionally saw couples straight up ditch their own reception very early into the event, especially grooms.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That's good to know about DJs. Really, all of the cliche stuff about weddings I just don't like, including the music/dancing. We're skipping a wedding party other than our dog, getting married by her brother instead of a rabbi (she is Jewish and I am agnostic), we're having pie instead of cake (getting married on Pi day), skipping the cake cutting, and we're ending the reception early to play board games in a german ratskeller in the basement of the venue for a few hours as the after party. I'm glad my fiancee is on board and excited about this. I think we're mostly just getting frustrated with her mother, who doesn't understand what we are doing or like most of the options we are going with and keeps trying to push us on a more traditional path neither of us wants, and then me trying to deal with the fun anxiety issues.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But the most important question is, what board games and will you make the wedding board game themed? We had Scrabble boards and sets as centerpieces because gently caress flowers and it lets guests fiddle with words.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not sure on the exact games yet. I actually own a small BG publishing company, first game is just starting to get out to Kickstarter backers now. We're planning to pick up some games at the Gen Con auction store for cheap to use for this when we exhibit there at the end of the month. Don't want to get our nice games ruined.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Chiming in to say that I am a wedding musician and DJ for about a decade now. This is my last season and I'm only doing about twenty weddings; historically I've averaged about thirty a year.

Hit me up with any questions you have!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Man Nesbit I gotta say it sounds like you are on track to have a really awful wedding for yourself there. I drew a line for mine that I wasn't going to meet anyone on my wedding day. That helped curb very-extended-family bullshit. And the elopement you describe is cheap so it's not as though you need your future mother in law's money to have what you want.

Have you sat down with your fiance and told her how this looks from where you're sitting? Because knowing less than a quarter of your wedding guests just doesn't sound fun, or worth it. And if these folks don't know you, they're probably not gonna know what to do with the board games. Is elopement totally off the table with your fiance?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, elopement is off the table. I mean, I'll survive, it's just 1 day, but I do want to at least try and salvage it for myself. We've talked about it a fair bit, and part of why the wedding is happening is so she can see some of her family from south africa that will fly out for it.

Luckily, my fiancee's immediate family and most of her and my friends like board games, so I dont really care if her extended family does or doesn't play. Hopefully I'll be able to get some ativan for the first half of the day and then beer for the latter part.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Just had our "summer casual" wedding on the Summer Solstice. We had planned it in under two months. We knew we wanted to get married, may as well be sooner than later! We hired a Justice of Peace that was recommended to us by a friend, bought 300$ worth of food for a BBQ, and my parents hosted the whole thing at their place. We kept things small: immediate family, a few aunties and uncles, and our best friends. 32 people total (us and JP included). Wedding at 3:30pm, followed by BBQ in the rain, and then everyone went home.

My wedding dress cost 45$ on Amazon. His outfit cost less than 100$.

I think, total, including cost of license, JP, clothes, food, etc, we spent less than 1000$

We received 3000$ cash for wedding gifts.

My husband and I noted that we should get married more often haha

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

19 o'clock posted:

Chiming in to say that I am a wedding musician and DJ for about a decade now. This is my last season and I'm only doing about twenty weddings; historically I've averaged about thirty a year.

Hit me up with any questions you have!

Thanks 19 o'clock. Main questions I have I guess is just what do you tend to do with couples that have no specific requests or preferences on what to play, or even have a first dance song. We are definitely telling the DJ no country, no line dancing, no gimmicky wedding songs (chicken dance, etc.). For a while we just wanted to do an ipod with a playlist that ran but realized we would still need to get speakers, someone to run the ipod, pick the songs on the ipod, and then something to MC the wedding announcements, etc. and decided going with a DJ would probably be easier. I don't like to dance, but my fiancee's mother has a phd in dance and my fiancee likes to dance, otherwise I would probably be trying to figure out if it was possible to have a wedding with minimal music.

Rainbow Kittens, I am extremely jealous.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

rainbow kittens posted:

Just had our "summer casual" wedding on the Summer Solstice. We had planned it in under two months. We knew we wanted to get married, may as well be sooner than later! We hired a Justice of Peace that was recommended to us by a friend, bought 300$ worth of food for a BBQ, and my parents hosted the whole thing at their place. We kept things small: immediate family, a few aunties and uncles, and our best friends. 32 people total (us and JP included). Wedding at 3:30pm, followed by BBQ in the rain, and then everyone went home.

My wedding dress cost 45$ on Amazon. His outfit cost less than 100$.

I think, total, including cost of license, JP, clothes, food, etc, we spent less than 1000$

We received 3000$ cash for wedding gifts.

My husband and I noted that we should get married more often haha

This sounds perfect. It's definitely what my fiance and I are going for. We're waiting to get a house so we can get married in our own backyard, and will probably end up hiring a food truck and just buying a ton of drinks. I'm glad people are still doing simple weddings.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks 19 o'clock. Main questions I have I guess is just what do you tend to do with couples that have no specific requests or preferences on what to play, or even have a first dance song. We are definitely telling the DJ no country, no line dancing, no gimmicky wedding songs (chicken dance, etc.). For a while we just wanted to do an ipod with a playlist that ran but realized we would still need to get speakers, someone to run the ipod, pick the songs on the ipod, and then something to MC the wedding announcements, etc. and decided going with a DJ would probably be easier. I don't like to dance, but my fiancee's mother has a phd in dance and my fiancee likes to dance, otherwise I would probably be trying to figure out if it was possible to have a wedding with minimal music.

Phone posting from the couch at 1:50am after just getting back from tonight’s wedding. I have another tomorrow then a bit of a break with only some guitar work I have lined up for ceremonies next week.

I think when it comes to clients that don’t request things specifically I have the best luck, honestly. Without them designating too much I can work with the crowd and see what people respond to. I am anti-cheese and really just want good music to speak for itself. I start cross-generationally and as the night goes on get more modern with my sets. If someone keeps requesting a line dance/group active song then I just ask the couple if it’s okay to do it. Most are fine as it means a happy reception and that’s the main goal.

Tonight had a lot of curation. Tomorrow does, too. It’s not a big deal and only painful if it’s a 100 song must play list. I tell my clients ten must-plays tops as it’s going to be a bit painful to try and keep a cogent structure to the set if I’m oscillating between art rock and trap all night. Sometimes you only have a couple of hours to dance so you want to make the most of it.

Talk to your DJ for personality fit above all else. I don’t advertise and do practically everything word of mouth. Venues push me a bunch and so do wedding planners. I’m a self-deprecating dude who has good gear and lots of event experience which goes a long way in this work. I like clients who are guest-oriented and like to party down.

Non-dancing reception? Is it a dinner event? It may be expected that dancing will take place. I had a wedding three years ago that said “We just want you to play 90’s alternative. Nobody will he dancing but we need someone to play music.” That dance floor was mobbed all night and I could barely touch my laptop because the place was shaking so much with dancing. Just kind of funny how it shakes out sometimes.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Scathach posted:

This sounds perfect. It's definitely what my fiance and I are going for. We're waiting to get a house so we can get married in our own backyard, and will probably end up hiring a food truck and just buying a ton of drinks. I'm glad people are still doing simple weddings.

Hiring the food truck may be easier! Though, the men enjoyed firing up the grill, so... who knows. Male bonding time. My Mom baked two angel food cakes from scratch, and my husband's mother made two cold-set cheesecakes and ordered four baked cheesecakes. TOO MUCH DESSERT. Haha. My grandmother asked my parents what we were doing for "sweets" otherwise, and parents said, "There will be multiple cakes and fresh fruit and melons" Grandma was upset, but Grandma is always trying to stuff sweets in my face.

nesbit37 posted:

Sounds like you aren't planning the wedding that you want. Weddings are stressful, yo. It's super hard when you are trying to make it work for you and your beloved, and also trying to satisfy everyone else at the same time. Have the wedding you want. Everyone else can go jump.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I don't think I've posted here yet. We got engaged a year ago this week and are shooting for a July 2020 wedding right now. We're hoping to stay under $10k, but we're in Austin, TX, so it's more expensive than other parts of Texas. We already have rings ($400 for her wedding band - didn't want an engagement ring, and maybe around $500 total for my wedding band and engagement ring) and I bought my dress off Modcloth for $87 months ago, friend is DJing for $250. It's a same-sex wedding, so with all of this stuff with the supreme court and being in Texas it's been kind of stressful thinking about vendors outside of Austin and if they'd refuse service or pretend they were unavailable.

But we found a venue this weekend we both really loved for $4.6k. It includes the entire weekend, ceremony and venue space, and beds for 20 guests. it feels higher than what she wants, but it's a great deal and when looking at other stuff it occurred to us how stressful setup and breakdown is at one-day venues. She initially wanted to get this wedding well under $10k, like $5k, but I've been reading these wedding blogs (apracticalwedding) for a year now and it seems really hard unless you have a small wedding in someone's backyard (we don't know anyone with a big backyard here). Both of us have parents who got married in churches with receptions in a family's house in the 1970s, so it's hard to balance out their assumptions about what it should cost vs. what I see online.

Neither of us are women who ever fantasized about a big or fancy wedding ever, I still don't know if my parents will even come, and by virtue of it being a same-sex wedding between two nerds who don't want something too traditional....the path is much less clear about what the expectations are or what is reasonable to spend on a party. We're not going to go bankrupt or anything from spending $10k (her parents offered $5k, but she doesn't want to take them up on it), but it is uncomfortable to think about when you have other expenses coming up - buying a home, having kids, her finishing college, etc.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 14, 2019

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Have you signed on for the venue, Frisbee? Under 10k is gonna be tough with a $4600 venue. How many people are you trying to feed / booze? Food and booze are the most expensive items and, unlike dresses / rings / venues, there isn't a "on sale at Modcloth / Sterling silver ring / get married in a park" cheap option. Price out catering options before you get your heart set on a venue, ESPECIALLY if that venue has a limited list of caterers they're willing to work with. I'm pretty sure my husband and I fed 100 folks some fun buffet food for like $26 a head, which was like half the price we kept getting quoted, but that price didn't include catering staff, taxes, or gratuities. And that's before we even got to liquor.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

Have you signed on for the venue, Frisbee? Under 10k is gonna be tough with a $4600 venue. How many people are you trying to feed / booze? Food and booze are the most expensive items and, unlike dresses / rings / venues, there isn't a "on sale at Modcloth / Sterling silver ring / get married in a park" cheap option. Price out catering options before you get your heart set on a venue, ESPECIALLY if that venue has a limited list of caterers they're willing to work with. I'm pretty sure my husband and I fed 100 folks some fun buffet food for like $26 a head, which was like half the price we kept getting quoted, but that price didn't include catering staff, taxes, or gratuities. And that's before we even got to liquor.

You're right, we should probably get quotes on that soon. We haven't signed anything yet.

Venue has no restrictions on alcohol or caterers, so the plan was to get a restaurant to cater with buffet and buy our own alcohol. Place also comes with a full kitchen, so some things might be easier to DIY (it's basically a large house event venue). We're considering up to 100, but we decided to limit how many family would come (would go into 300s with all the family), so that's just the upper limit. The only venues we've seen cheaper are public parks that only let you book six months ahead of time.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Just gonna throw this out there as I've said it before: do not under any circumstances give yourself a catering job on your wedding day, and don't give anyone you aren't paying a job either. You're job is to get married. Most of the people you'd ask, their job is to be in your wedding party or be a guest. Your aren't professional caterers and neither are they and if they were they'd demand that you pay for the service.

Maybe if you get a big sheet cake you can ask a crew of four or five to slice and serve. Maybe. But I wouldn't count on it. Catering is SO MUCH work. I have done Thanksgiving for over a decade now for over thirty people and I would rather face a firing squad than cater even a 30 person wedding.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 15, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My cousin just got married last month, they had it in the middle of the day at a rented historic barn at a public park to save money and they rented the whole place out for 4 hours. They are extreme introverts/nerds/West coast hippies and wanted a very small wedding for a number of reasons. Bride was a baker in a previous life, catered her own wedding of 30 ppl

We went to the wedding and then took them out for lunch later that week

Bride said at lunch flat out that she wished she had rented the barn for an extra 2 hours so she had more time to spend with people, rather than rush everyone out so she could get the barn cleaned up in time. She spent a solid 25% of her wedding doing dishes. Yes everyone helped but it was an awful way to spend such a huge chunk of your wedding

TL;DR hire a caterer, preferably two people or more. It's a memorable event, don't spend most of it doing the dishes

I would not wish catering duties on any Bride or groom. You're way too busy getting married to keep track of catering, let alone worry about if Uncle Joey had to much to drink etc

the anti femi nazi
May 30, 2007
Just to play devil’s advocate, I self catered my wedding it went great and I would do it again in a heart beat. The most important part is to have realistic expectations. Like no you probably shouldn’t self cater a fancy dinner reception for 100 on your own. We did a brunch wedding for 50 with:
- welcome coffee tea and donut holes
- cocktail hr with macarons, salmon cucumber bites, and mini quiches
- reception with roasted veg pasta salad, winter fruit salad, chilaquiles, cinnamon rolls, biscuits and gravy, bacon, breakfast sausage, donuts, and bagels

We did a limited bar with sangria, mimosas, bloody marys, and red and white wine with coffee, tea, sparkling apple cider, and sparkling water

We hired someone off of task rabbit to keep everything stocked during the reception. Grand total for self catering (including linens, plates, etc.) was $1,500. There was plenty of food. At the end we threw everything away so that no one was stuck doing dishes (benefits of using disposable plates and stuff)

All in all it gave me somewhere to direct my nervous energy leading up to the wedding and turned out great and cheap so it was win win all around for us.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Does anyone have any experience with elopement packages? My partner and I would like to elope somewhere in Europe, and there's a bunch of companies that provide weddings for two, but their prices vary a lot depending on the company and the country. I just don't want to get taken advantage of.

I also never thought I'd get married and I have no idea what I'm doing. Forgive me if I sound ignorant. Both of our families have never really help weddings in high regard, so this is new to both of us.

I realize this post is a couple of weeks old, but fwiw my husband and I eloped to Copenhagen from the US a year ago. We didn't go with a package, after looking at a few and at the process on the city website. Danish law makes it easy for foreigners to get married there (although our florist had to go to Sweden for her wedding because she's Danish and her husband isn't from the EU), and Copenhagen has made it very straightforward if you just want to get married at their City Hall.

It will help to figure out a country, if only so you know what laws you're dealing with. As I mentioned, we could get married under Danish law without a long residency period or any sort of weird paperwork, but other countries can be different. Having to deal with that will inform your costs, as will determining what you want the package to provide (photos, flowers, etc.).

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm getting married in 9 weeks and my fiance can never know that my suit cost more than her wedding dress. Please don't tell her.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

black.lion posted:

I'm getting married in 9 weeks and my fiance can never know that my suit cost more than her wedding dress. Please don't tell her.

My dude's suit absolutely costs more than my dress. Own it. You're the peacock now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zaftig posted:

My dude's suit absolutely costs more than my dress. Own it. You're the peacock now.

La but someone has to strike a pose
And bear the weight of well-tailored clothes
And that is why the lord created men!

...yeah seriously own it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We flew round trip, both of us, to Hong Kong for $1070, stayed in a $100/night air bnb, got my tux custom bespoke made for $640 including a blue velvet bowtie at Sam's Tailor

Tux rental was gonna be like $600 and you can't get it tailored and I only get to wear it one night. It's been three months and I've already worn the tux to three other events

Meanwhile wife has her dress on Craigslist for $2500 as it's giant and poofy and will never wear it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

black.lion posted:

My fiance tried to pull this poo poo, that suit better be custom made and baller as gently caress and also not a line item in the budget