Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

morestuff posted:

June 27, the perfect time to rank a loose collection of this year's things

I mean yeah, this is a pretty dead time in the calendar, what else are they going to write about, baseball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god that might be peak simmons, the laziest listicle bullshit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
2020: The Top Ten Ringer Lists of the Late 2010s, Pt. 1

10. Top 10 movies of 2017 so far (March 2017)
9. Year-End Album Rankings 2016 (December 2016)
8. 19 HBO Series You Might Have Missed (November 2016)
7. 20 Most Rewatchable Romcoms of the Netflix Era (October 2018)
6. 5 Times [x] Had a [y] Problem (February 2019)
5. 8 Winners and Losers from the MLB All-Star Game Bombings (July 2019)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Halfway through the year is a pretty standard time to do lists about the year so far

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

god that might be peak simmons, the laziest listicle bullshit

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1144355744495443968?s=21

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
honestly kinda cute and at least it’s not an article

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/6/28/18760514/cody-bellinger-dodgers-home-runs-as-rom-com-quotes

Here’s that good ringer poo poo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://deadspin.com/barstool-sports-publishes-bizarre-blog-on-missing-woman-1835954257

:thunk:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

What a completely out of character thing for Barstool to do! I’m shocked!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

What a completely out of character thing for Barstool to do! I’m shocked!

I mean, firing the guy for it and his statement that it was justified kind of is?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean, firing the guy for it and his statement that it was justified kind of is?

I meant the initial slut-shaming blog post, but sure.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm extremely online enough to know that "old town road" is a country song by a rap guy that is very popular but I can go no further

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm extremely online enough to know that "old town road" is a country song by a rap guy that is very popular but I can go no further

Gotta get on tik tok

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

it's a good song

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/mikevorel/status/1145751473470332929?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

what the poo poo?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

What's this even accomplish?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

They should improvise crayon drawings of the jerseys, kind of like those twitter accounts that used Lego figurines to re-enact footage from the Olympics

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wait UW is Washington? They dropped Nike?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s the first helmet with naked ladies on it

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
They leaked anyway

https://twitter.com/THEE_GURU_/status/1145983008593154048

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

THAT is what they wanted to keep under wraps for another week? If someone didn't point out the Nike->Adidas change, I wouldn't notice any difference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously that barely looks any different. WHat the gently caress was the secrecy meant for other than a poor attempt at building up hype?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Sue Bird with some good stuff

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/sue-bird-megan-rapinoe-uswnt

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That is some super good stuff and I only kinda knew about Sue Bird before but love her lots now

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the super livejournal-y style grated on me but holy cow the way she writes about megan is extremely sweet and cool and good

and pay the drat women already, ffs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That headline is everything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sue Bird is very cool.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
David Roth wrote a pretty good piece about Getting Mad at Shoes but I just wanted to draw attention to this obviously speech-to-text comment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

David Roth wrote a pretty good piece about Getting Mad at Shoes but I just wanted to draw attention to this obviously speech-to-text comment.

Don’t doxx me

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

How is falgg formed?
How girl get seemstris?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

proud graduate of university of reno, blacks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ray Ratto is basically the only good writer left at deadspin

quote:

It’s as if everyone wants to disparage the future of the game while forgetting why the present is worthwhile. It isn’t about Mike Trout the generational player as much as it about Mike Trout the reluctant commercial tool. Baseball is suddenly less a pleasant way to kill some tavern time than it is a rolling argument about nothing, and like watching an endless loop of the two women at Wrigley Field who carried a brawl past security’s ability to arrest them, it loses its magic quickly.

And that’s where a commissioner comes in, and where Manfred so far hasn’t. Baseball (players, executives, media, et al.) has always had a cultural default about alternate ideas and behaviors by dismissively calling them “horseshit,” and then either walking away in contempt or responding to any further discussion on said topic by repeating the epithet. Manfred’s job, whether he knows it or not, is to slowly but perceptively eradicate that tic. He is currently 5,000-1 against.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

As long as Diana Moskovitz is still there, this isn’t true.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
deadspin is good

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

As long as Diana Moskovitz is still there, this isn’t true.

Diana's a great reporter. Ray's a writer. It's not a big difference, I'll grant, but there you are.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
David Roth is at Deadspin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Where did Ratto come from again? I agree he's really good; he combines old-school columnist gravitas with some fairly enlightened (but not insufferable) takes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah but they still haven't fired Haisley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah but they still haven't fired Haisley

his existence remains a mystery unless his hate clicks are bringing them a poo poo ton of revenue