Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

Google sheets is plain rear end and I say this as someone with a hatred for Excel that borders on the pathological.

Google sheets is fine and for a significant portion of users has all of the functionality they need or understand. It starts falling behind dealing with large or complex sheets, but most of the people I work with can barely figure out how to calculate a sum with a formula.

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you've never encountered a brain genius that suggests you "work collaboratively" in a spreadsheet only to have someone accidentally change a cell value without realizing it and spending the next few hours chasing down the source of it, then I envy you.

Collaborative spreadsheeting is a stupid idea no matter what you're using, but version history usually reveals whatever dumb poo poo someone did on a shared file pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Not pissing me off, but certainly pissing someone off:

Just took a report from a guy whose business critical cad files were destroyed by a contractor because said contractor was being let go for sexual harassment. No, he didn't have backups, why would he?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
gently caress. Looks like my current team lead on my interim team is being bumped up to manager of all of engineering (which has been vacant since that guy quit back in April and kicked off all of the chaos).

I'm so happy for her, she's awesome....but I'm guessing that means fuckface was enticed to stay with a promotion to that lead spot. So this week likely just went from "woo that rear end in a top hat is gone!" to "awesome, I report directly to this piece of poo poo".

I'm legit emailing the company whose offer he just flip-flopped on since clearly they now have a vacancy to fill.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I think domain owner or admin account of Google Business Suite can maybe alter ownership from corporate accounts created from that, but haven't tested it myself. Or you can try using service API key to 'impersonate' (Google allows this depending on the role of account) and see if you can get access, reset password and change ownership? I do use the impersonation method with service API key for moving video files in other account from Google Drive to AWS S3 (just DL/UL byte data as a middleman, so no file saving needed in the middleman server) in order to encode and encrypt them, all without actually having access to that account. Of course this just requires that I have higher access overall.

But of course they're screwed if the person fired had spreadsheet on the personal account :v:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 29, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

duffmensch posted:

After some of my last contracts and their complete lack of messaging capabilities, I've had to step it up to "Do you have some sort of messaging or collaboration application?"

Bonus points if they have multiple IM clients but none of them are standard in the organization. Can’t count the number of organizations who paid $$$$ for Jabber and only have 5 users while everyone else used Skype (also $$$$).

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Bigass Moth posted:

Bonus points if they have multiple IM clients but none of them are standard in the organization. Can’t count the number of organizations who paid $$$$ for Jabber and only have 5 users while everyone else used Skype (also $$$$).

Don’t doxx my org

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I think I'm going to just deep-six all of it without telling anyone, because I'm sure some disgusting slob would get mad if they knew I threw out their expired-two-months-ago yogurt.

I once worked in a office with floor to ceiling lockable cubbys in the break room. Many more than we had staff. Yet still people were issued floor and shin level ones. But anyway...

My friend and I thought it would be funny to put a few milk cartons in one and a few McDonald's burgers in another (I'm aware that the burger thing has been done an put online since) , about 6-8 months later another friend/colleague checked them.

Burgers looked about the same. As did the milk, but he was stupid and poked at it a little and the carton started to dissolve.

Rather than put it in the sink , bin or back where he got it he ran through the office, into the lift and out onto the street leaving stinking drips the whole way.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Lmfao my friend who was angling to get me on his team? He just quit after being passed over for the promotion to Engineering Manager.

This place is imploding and upper management refuses to acknowledge there is clearly a massive, systemic issue.

I'm really gonna miss this guy, he was one of the good ones. Not only was he probably one of our best devs, but he was one of the few genuinely nice guys in this industry, let alone at this company. We've been close ever since I was hired a few months after he was.

The silver lining is I'm sure toxic boss is getting keel-hauled since this poo poo started as soon as he formally took over and he has thus far been unable to stop the hemorrhaging of devs from the department.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Lmfao my friend who was angling to get me on his team? He just quit after being passed over for the promotion to Engineering Manager.

This place is imploding and upper management refuses to acknowledge there is clearly a massive, systemic issue.

I'm really gonna miss this guy, he was one of the good ones. Not only was he probably one of our best devs, but he was one of the few genuinely nice guys in this industry, let alone at this company. We've been close ever since I was hired a few months after he was.

The silver lining is I'm sure toxic boss is getting keel-hauled since this poo poo started as soon as he formally took over and he has thus far been unable to stop the hemorrhaging of devs from the department.

It's kind of bizarre to me how few orgs take exit interviews seriously, and would instead rather just speculate wildly about what might be causing the problem.

Somewhat related: my wife worked HR at an org that provided services to autistic children, and paid the people who spent all day working with the kids like $12/hour. (this job requires a degree and working with kids who will sometimes literally attack you) Whenever they'd have meetings about retention/employee satisfaction they would talk at length about how these people had a "bad attitude" and how certain people needed to be replaced, and would aggressively dismiss my wife's suggestion to pay more money. She was making $11.50 to do a job that didn't involve getting punched by teenagers who don't understand their emotions.

Also, dev -> people manager should not be viewed as a promotion. It is a career change and frequently a lateral move. Sucks that your friend quit, though.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
One of my machine operators faked up documentation in my name and used it to access a secure warehouse and steal several thousand dollars worth of portable equipment. :argh:

Hail Satan.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 1, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Clearly your fault. Your security was lax. Report for a formal after-action report meeting after the July 4 holiday.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Comradephate posted:

It's kind of bizarre to me how few orgs take exit interviews seriously, and would instead rather just speculate wildly about what might be causing the problem.

Somewhat related: my wife worked HR at an org that provided services to autistic children, and paid the people who spent all day working with the kids like $12/hour. (this job requires a degree and working with kids who will sometimes literally attack you) Whenever they'd have meetings about retention/employee satisfaction they would talk at length about how these people had a "bad attitude" and how certain people needed to be replaced, and would aggressively dismiss my wife's suggestion to pay more money. She was making $11.50 to do a job that didn't involve getting punched by teenagers who don't understand their emotions.
Our old HR director used to just hand people a card to an online survey and say "we don't really care if you fill it out or not." Like, exit interviews are basically free, and can often tell you things you can do that cost little or no money to improve retention, not to mention that if an employee feels heard, they're a lot less likely to slag you off on Glassdoor (which may explain our sub-three-star rating); why wouldn't you want to do that?

We recently started implementing regular work from home for our HQ employees (like, last winter), and last month, one of our sales team failed to make goal by a healthy margin, at least partially due to high turnover and understaffing. In response to this, the managers wrote up the whole team, and took away work from home for 30 days. They may as well hang up a banner that says "the beatings will continue until morale improves." I know two of the people on that team already had a foot out the door (one of them already had plans to move ~1000 miles when her lease is up, and had already had remote work shot down), and now a third (on a team of five people) has started aggressively looking. Their support team is down from six people to four, with one of them aggressively looking. Their VP is the third-highest-paid person in the organization, and as far as I can tell, not only one of the biggest assholes in the place, but also massively incompetent. He's been here for like forty years, though, so has institutional momentum on his side.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Comradephate posted:

Also, dev -> people manager should not be viewed as a promotion. It is a career change and frequently a lateral move. Sucks that your friend quit, though.

I already have a massive document written up listing everything they've been doing wrong, in my eyes, that has led to me leaving. Exit interview or no, that's getting sent to HR the day I'm leaving.

It really sucks because I was just talking 6 months ago about how great this place was and how I hadn't even opened my resume since I was hired to add this job. It's amazing how quickly a single toxic person can torpedo and entire department if they're given enough power.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been working for a couple months on getting our new helpdesk up and running.

Writing KB articles, building the service catalog, designing approval workflows and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm now worried that the recently hired VP is going to get the credit for my work in the eyes of management despite him having no input whatsoever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Fool posted:

I've been working for a couple months on getting our new helpdesk up and running.

Writing KB articles, building the service catalog, designing approval workflows and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm now worried that the recently hired VP is going to get the credit for my work in the eyes of management despite him having no input whatsoever.

I mean, unless you have regular interaction with upper management, then yes of course he will get the credit. It's a bummer but IT is a pretty thankless job to many.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I already have a massive document written up listing everything they've been doing wrong, in my eyes, that has led to me leaving. Exit interview or no, that's getting sent to HR the day I'm leaving.

It really sucks because I was just talking 6 months ago about how great this place was and how I hadn't even opened my resume since I was hired to add this job. It's amazing how quickly a single toxic person can torpedo and entire department if they're given enough power.

I go back and forth on whether or not I want to do something like this. My direct manager just swallows feedback and acts like it never happened, and the HR team is so underwater there's no way they would care about why an engineer quit, so I am not sure who I could give the feedback to who would actually care about it.

I feel you on how fast things go downhill, though. We hired a new "senior" engineer on the team a few months ago, and I think it caused my boss's manager disease to metastasize. He speaks exclusively in buzzwords, and is somehow incapable of noticing that this new guy literally doesn't contribute anything.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

The Fool posted:

unless you have a really stellar manager, you are your only cheerleader. You have to tell everyone that you did it and how hard it was and how much better it's going to make things.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Comradephate posted:

I go back and forth on whether or not I want to do something like this. My direct manager just swallows feedback and acts like it never happened, and the HR team is so underwater there's no way they would care about why an engineer quit, so I am not sure who I could give the feedback to who would actually care about it.

I'm debating setting up a meeting with the CTO per his open door policy, since he does seem to genuinely care and is very obviously alarmed by recent events.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm debating setting up a meeting with the CTO per his open door policy, since he does seem to genuinely care and is very obviously alarmed by recent events.

I will caution you on this because I know first hand about situations like this. Some leaders will seem like they are concerned and want to hear your feedback to your face, but they will offer you up to the wolves in their leadership meetings. Do this only if you are okay with being labeled as a problem if things aren’t as they seem.

C levels are the worst offenders. They know how to put on a kind face.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh that is absolutely only in a scenario where I have a signed offer in hand and I'm basically walking out the door the next day and just want to make it abundantly clear what drove me and others to bail.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Macaroni posted:

Clearly your fault. Your security was lax. Report for a formal after-action report meeting after the July 4 holiday.

You jest (i think), but I mean, it is my responsibility. I didn't anticipate this vector and I am the one that keeps hiring felons out of some kind of weird hopefulness and not making it impossible for them to steal.

In other news my dude with the cocaine habit swears he's clean and wants his job back. :thunk:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
These novelty TLDs are driving me insane. One our divisions wants to use one of the finance ones, but there are a bunch of restrictions tied to it. They get the paperwork filled out and purchase the domain. In the next few weeks, they want to start having email sent to it, and it turns out you can't just log into a portal and put in a MX record, oh no. You have to purchase their special DNS hosting service, because otherwise its just not secure enough. I sat on hold for 10 minutes today trying to talk to sales and got nowhere.

I just think the whole vanity TLD is loving dumb that no one will want to use or care about. poo poo, people can barely get .com right and now you want to add in another one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Fool posted:

Put your name in the header of every document or author value in the database entry you can, and tell anyone and everyone who will listen what you're doing. Put dates on the documents that note their initial creation date which should be before new guy came horning in.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Earlier this year my company's deputy director of IT took a promotion elsewhere and the supervisor of the helpdesk was made interim deputy director. The old guy was a genius, very inspiring, easy to talk to, could walk you through complicated topics and I really looked up to him. I kind of fell into the IT world and he took time to work with me one-on-one, not only going over how our company's network was configured but giving me chances to push myself in different directions. To that end, I'm no longer a network tech but a project manager within the IT shop. So I love the old guy.

New guy, the old helpdesk supervisor, is charismatic and has some IT knowledge but I swear to god he's as dumb as they come. Frequently mixes up terms, can't keep a consistent view on how different IT projects are intersecting, has no sense of urgency, and tries to trip you up in meetings with small, semantic points to avaoid looking like he doesn't know what you're talking about. Trying to get him to sign off on something is painful; I've gone to him with a few pages of notes hoping to get a yes or no decision on whether we should move forward with deploying some new laptops, for example, and he hems and haws and it just makes my heart sink.

It sucks because while he's no longer my direct supervisor, there is no supervisor for the helpdesk now, so those guys are starting to flounder. We have a growing number of positions that need filled and there's one person on the helpdesk that is pretty much dead weight aside from the fact that she goes to his church, so I have doubts about the wave of people he'll be hiring. Worse, every meeting I have with him leaves me with less confidence. By the end of this year we need to upgrade our equipment to Windows 10, join our parent company's domain, pair every existing email address with a new address on the new domain, advise our staff of 700 about the new OS and login credentials, upgrade to Outlook and Office 365, deploy 500+ new PCs and 60 new laptops, and all that's just a taste of the work load on the calendar. Which is doable, it's not impossible, it's just frustrating that our leader doesn't have the answers to any questions regarding any part of those tasks.

We had a rep from the parent company come by the discuss the image we would be using and the only thing our deputy director inquired about was making sure the wallpaper had our logo on it. That was his top priority.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Did he also order the icons in "Cornflower Blue"?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Today I'm not even mad. I'm too tired to care. I've gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep a night, tops, since starting my on-call rotation on Friday.

I found some noisy logging that always triggers tens of thousands of exceptions every morning at like 4:30am when a periodic task runs, resulting in NewRelic seeing an error rate over a threshold, and pinging whoever is on call.

I have a PR up to fix it. No one cares and not one person has reviewed it in 2 days. I can't wait to hand in my notice.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Bomgar's support has become hot trash since they were bought by BeyondTrust. The people taking the calls know nothing, can't give me a case number until I get a technician callback, a technician is -never- available, I don't have the option to even be put on hold until one is, and the last guy I spoke to didn't even know what Bomgar was or even how to spell it. So nice of them to remind me at the end of the call that I can always check up on the status of my case (uncreated and with no case number) on their support portal.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Anyone here have any experience with the 600 series HP Laserjets? (m601, m602, m603).

These appear to have the same issue as the infamous swing plate assembly on the 4200 series.

Had one with terrible grinding noises. So I replaced the fuser drive gear assembly (gears where very worn and ate up) and also put a new fuser in. Printer was quiet for 3 weeks, and has now started right back with the drat grinding noise. Replacing that drat thing was something I never want to do again....

Its at 600k pages so I am considering just replacing the entire unit instead of throwing more parts at it. Anyone have a recommendation on a high volume printer (it will run at minimum 7,000 pages per month, mostly all in one job) monochrome printer with fast duplex? Fast duplex is a must...

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CitizenKain posted:

These novelty TLDs are driving me insane. One our divisions wants to use one of the finance ones, but there are a bunch of restrictions tied to it. They get the paperwork filled out and purchase the domain. In the next few weeks, they want to start having email sent to it, and it turns out you can't just log into a portal and put in a MX record, oh no. You have to purchase their special DNS hosting service, because otherwise its just not secure enough. I sat on hold for 10 minutes today trying to talk to sales and got nowhere.

I just think the whole vanity TLD is loving dumb that no one will want to use or care about. poo poo, people can barely get .com right and now you want to add in another one?

Stoopid thing is that these days, no one gives a poo poo about your domain name, it's what comes up first in Google that counts.

The might as well do away with the address bar in browsers altogether and just have a search bar.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Shut up Meg posted:

Stoopid thing is that these days, no one gives a poo poo about your domain name, it's what comes up first in Google that counts.

The might as well do away with the address bar in browsers altogether and just have a search bar.

The address bar is a search bar in every browser AFAIK

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Ah, the salad days of AOL keywords.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shut up Meg posted:

Then you get into GrubHub territory where third parties make a fake landing page for your business and proxy all the requests https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19154220/grubhub-seamless-fake-restaurant-domain-names-commission-fees

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MF_James posted:

The address bar is a search bar in every browser AFAIK

I mean you might as well dump the ability enter a url altogether.

Edge is one step in that direction already: open the browser and it will put your cursor in the search field, not the address bar. (But that's your own fault for using edge)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

stevewm posted:

Its at 600k pages so I am considering just replacing the entire unit instead of throwing more parts at it. Anyone have a recommendation on a high volume printer (it will run at minimum 7,000 pages per month, mostly all in one job) monochrome printer with fast duplex? Fast duplex is a must...

I was going to suggest a Xerox 5550, they're built like tanks and have a 35,000 page per month duty cycle. Unfortunately they aren't sold new anymore, they're suggesting the B7000 series as replacements. The B7035 might do you, 17k/month 35ppm.

We only ever got the C600 on-campus from the VersaLink series. They were fabulously reliable compared to the 4622s and even the 7500s. That suggests the new print engines are based on solid engineering.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what is this positive printer post, get out of here with that garbage

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
oval office sitting a few desks back has been constantly coughing and clearing his throat for at least 4 hours a day for 2-3 months.
Why wont he die?

Constant mucus sounds. gently caress :(

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

fist4jesus posted:

oval office sitting a few desks back has been constantly coughing and clearing his throat for at least 4 hours a day for 2-3 months.
Why wont he die?

Constant mucus sounds. gently caress :(
Sir, did you just write the C-word? Speaking of mucus sound, I had a Chemistry teacher in UK for 3 years, who was constantly making some weird noise as if his nose was blocked. :cripes: Otherwise he was decent.

Anyways, I was asked in the evening of last Tuesday by Project Planning to make changes in accordance to ToS before 1st of July. And they knew drat well I had AWS conference on Thursday. This meant I had to finish implementing everything and test for every possible scenario on Wednesday, request any additional materials in the mean time, walk through with them on Friday, deploy update in the afternoon of Sunday and monitor for an hour, then monitor for an hour around midnight again.

Best part is that since all the user-side backend of the services until now was done solely by me, I get requests on top of each other :cripes: I already have a WIP that I’ve been working on for past 3 weeks on one service which is due 5th July, then this thing got shoved in so that’s 3 days of work hours gone. And the schedule never gets pushed back :argh:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Aesis posted:

Sir, did you just write the C-word?

Yes, constant.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not pissing me off: Crushed that interview, I think. Two minor brain farts, one on another surprise live coding exercise (couldn't get two miracle "runs perfectly first try" in a row, sadly). The other I just couldn't remember two terms, but as soon as he supplied the terms I was able to explain each in great detail, so I think it's fine I just spaced on the vocabulary words (he knows I'm on call and been up since 4:30am).

Feeling optimistic, if utterly exhausted :unsmith:

In a shocking twist, I'll hear back tomorrow and not have to sweat it out over the long holiday weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: having a first thing in the morning meeting with the manager after I was involved in a conversation between a coworker and the lead that turned into the coworker ranting and raising his voice after I stopped talking.

He wanted to talk to me before the end of the day, but I had a house showing to get to because I’m currently homeless, so 15 minutes after my normal quitting time, 10 minutes after I told him I was going to have to leave soon, 25 minutes after I started waiting for him to be done talking with the coworker, I had to leave. And the landlords ghosted me.

Interacting with other departments is so loving frustrating here. Request that one of the AWS admins give a list of people access to a folder that he can see himself on the AWS portal page? “What’s the file path and why do they need it?”

Click on the loving icon, log in to RDP, and you’ll see it in less time than it took you to send the email. And they need it because the client’s IT admin said they need it, so stop jacking off and do your goddamn job.

They don’t even have monitoring or load balancing set up for the clients’ instances. One guy in my group spent weeks last year fighting with one of our AWS guys because the AWS team refused to provision the minimum published required specs for the client. Not he wanted to give them more, he wanted to give them less than the people that make the software said was the bare minimum you could possibly run somewhat effectively on.

Give me three months to get up to speed on AWS and I would be doing more good than that jackass asking for the file path.

Basically four out of five of the tier ones on this team are looking for an exit ASAP, and the only people with thorough product knowledge on the team are looking actively but not urgently.