Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I stopped in to my local library to pick up their only printed volumes of Blacksad, and at the same time they had the hardcover of Flex Mentallo, so I grabbed that too. And read it first.

Man, that is extremely Morrison, isn't it? All the hallmarks. Superheroes as gods which are potentially real, multiverses crashing together, concepts just a foot out past where your mind's eye can see. Must have been mindblowing back in Ninety-loving-Six. Or was it the kind of thing where it was ahead of its time and it didn't sell for beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Given how goddamn impossible the back issues still are to find, I'm gonna guess the latter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it wasn’t reprinted for the longest time because of legal issues involving the ads Flex was a parody of. For the longest time it felt like Flex was some legendary book that you’d never be able to read a physical copy of.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1141476577538138112?s=19

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think it wasn’t reprinted for the longest time because of legal issues involving the ads Flex was a parody of. For the longest time it felt like Flex was some legendary book that you’d never be able to read a physical copy of.

Yeah, reading up on it, it looks like some eager beaver sent a copy of Flex to the Charles Atlas people thinking they'd get a kick out of it; instead they went "whoa hey what the gently caress" and lobbed law bombs at DC, tying it up for well over a decade. Bet Morrison was real thrilled to have a major chunk of his hero-summoning hypersigil bound up in the dusty grey tape of copyright law.

I'm trying to remember the most Morrison sentence I've ever heard but all I can remember right now is that it involved Superman sealing the hole in forever, or something similarly ultra-bombastic.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Phy posted:

I'm trying to remember the most Morrison sentence I've ever heard but all I can remember right now is that it involved Superman sealing the hole in forever, or something similarly ultra-bombastic.

“I’ll do what I can to plug the hole in forever” from Superman Beyond?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody make me a new avatar out of this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Somebody make me a new avatar out of this

Hey you go. :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean it's going to be this. Even if it's not what he wanted it will be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wanted it to pan from his face to the but and back, somebody make it do that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I could do it tomorrow if nobody else has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Make it so.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Phy posted:

Yeah, reading up on it, it looks like some eager beaver sent a copy of Flex to the Charles Atlas people thinking they'd get a kick out of it; instead they went "whoa hey what the gently caress" and lobbed law bombs at DC, tying it up for well over a decade. Bet Morrison was real thrilled to have a major chunk of his hero-summoning hypersigil bound up in the dusty grey tape of copyright law.

Probably what was below your quoted post, but my avatar used to be from Superman Beyond with the text “I’m trapped in a self evolving hyper story! And it’s trying it’s best to destroy me”

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

I wanted it to pan from his face to the but and back, somebody make it do that.

Do this but have batman's fist go into Guy's butt

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Benito Cereno posted:

“I’ll do what I can to plug the hole in forever” from Superman Beyond?

It was exactly this, thank you

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Make it so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL.

Nice.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/usagiguy/status/1143233669290532864

I have no idea if this is part of the colour reprints or not but I want it.

EDIT: Apparently Artist editions are like gallery editions and are faithful reproductions of the original art that the published comic are scanned from. That's pretty neat.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 24, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I reached out to Annie Nocenti on social media, and I got a response, and I'm over the moon

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

MrFlibble posted:

https://twitter.com/usagiguy/status/1143233669290532864

I have no idea if this is part of the colour reprints or not but I want it.

EDIT: Apparently Artist editions are like gallery editions and are faithful reproductions of the original art that the published comic are scanned from. That's pretty neat.

which one of you is the guy on the left

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I dunk on Dan Slott as much as the next person, but this was funny.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1144501020157865984?s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1145126162399682560

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is from the comicgate thread, but it's just someone being an idiot, not saying hateful poo poo and more people need to marvel in the idiocy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just an FYI for people that maybe don't follow the indie comics thread, if you're in that small overlap of people that still read The Walking Dead and actually buy physical comics you might want to get to your shop early tomorrow. I don't think there's many here that read it, and probably fewer still that actually go to shops, but it's going to be in pretty huge demand I expect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did the aliens finally show up?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Did the aliens finally show up?

Could be! None of the actual contents of the book have been leaked yet, just the ending editorial and that it's the surprise 70+ page final issue of the series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jesus wept.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1146271719918833664

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are there any retailers kicking up a stink about Image putting out fake solicitations for further TWD issues yet?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are there any retailers kicking up a stink about Image putting out fake solicitations for further TWD issues yet?

Retailers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=One-bA58yVI&t=9s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ahh yes, the film where Rambo fights alongside the brave soldiers of Al-Qaeda.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Ahh yes, the film where Rambo fights alongside the brave soldiers of Al-Qaeda.

Hey, they were fighting the commies, that makes them the good guys. Now to take a big sip of coffee and not pay attention to the region for 20 years.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just read TWD final issue (Google Play had it up at midnight.) They stuck the landing imo. I don't want to say more before others get their hands on it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kirkman said waaaaay backnwhem #50 came out and teased Rick's possible death that the comic wouldnt outlive that character. I was expecting another year and then a reboot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Here's a gift for those of you who are really weird about Tessa Thompson.

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/1146064489965469697

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Here's a gift for those of you who are really weird about Tessa Thompson.

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/1146064489965469697

:drat:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It seems Mad Magazine is dead.

https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/1146588406534877186

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 4, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not that I read it, but that's still a bummer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Was anyone picking up the relaunch? I'm guessing they lost most of whatever old audience they had there.

Edit: Remember it's a DC comic and they're shutting down their lines. Hopefully they sell it off to Fantagraphics or something.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Was anyone picking up the relaunch? I'm guessing they lost most of whatever old audience they had there.

Edit: Remember it's a DC comic and they're shutting down their lines. Hopefully they sell it off to Fantagraphics or something.

From what I hear it was doing just fine, it seems DC is just being DC.