Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Things must be really busted if 136 easy levels in MM2 gave me a level I've not only played, but also liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright went ahead and finished it after a lot of fiddling around. I actually started to run out of parts so some rooms got cut (rip 321 bros). Still I'm plenty happy with how it came out. Only concern is that in the big boss fight vs totally ghoma the respawning power up might be hard to notice. Please give this thing a try and let me know what you think!

The Great Deku Tree (N64)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright went ahead and finished it after a lot of fiddling around. I actually started to run out of parts so some rooms got cut (rip 321 bros). Still I'm plenty happy with how it came out. Only concern is that in the big boss fight vs totally ghoma the respawning power up might be hard to notice. Please give this thing a try and let me know what you think!

I can't play it right now since I'm stuck at work, but this is a hella ambitious project! It makes my level on trying to rebuild Bob-omb Battlefield look tame in comparison.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Just to check, when people go into course maker for the first time is there already a level generated? I never played the first and went in to find an smb3 airship level which was exactly the type of level I wanted to make and pretty decent on its own.

TurtleRock
Nov 16, 2015

Blue shells are my woes
Hey all. I made a few levels would appreciate a few more plays!

Thwomp Pyramid

ID: PK0-RYX-58G

This one for some reason has the most plays so far. It's just a simple course where you have to dodge Thwomps in a variety of situations.

Megaman 2 Wily Fortress 1

ID: 3SJ-TQQ-8JF

I remade the first Wily level from Megaman 2. Complete with flying dragon!

Bowser's Lava Elevator

ID: KY7-7MW-FDG

So for this one I found out that 3D World crates can float in lava and water. I ended up just running with this mechanic and making an entire level where you have to stay on crates as lava rises. Traps try to knock out as many crates as possible as you ascend!

Zelda 2: Palace 1

ID: WG1-CSV-Y7G

Another remake. Decided to try to remake the first palace from Zelda 2 since it's pretty straightforward. I also wanted to take a stab at puzzle level.

Mario Bros Arcade Attack!

ID: F7R-NH9-Q0H

For this course I tried to do a "behind the scenes" type level for the original Mario Bros Arcade and it ended up turning into a short but fun hunt for a person who is wrecking the arcade levels. Give it a try!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Manoueverable posted:

Just to check, when people go into course maker for the first time is there already a level generated? I never played the first and went in to find an smb3 airship level which was exactly the type of level I wanted to make and pretty decent on its own.
It's the level that loads as the title screen when you start the game. There are a few of them and the can all be played.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

I think they put the title screen levels in by default.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I noticed something interesting about low grav physics in a trashy NSMB level, and made an entire level around it. Its gimmicky and kinda difficult if you have bad timing but I wanted to get it out of my system because I cant think of how to use this sparingly in a way that doesnt trivialize a level.

Flagrant Disregard for Gravity
KYC-FYM-RJF

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Kirios posted:

Guys help I'm stuck at work and all I wanna do it work on my level. :(

The Nintendo Switch can "switch" into a portable mode by removing it from the docking station. This allows you to take your gaming fun on the go!

Alternatively, call in "sick".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kirios posted:

I can't play it right now since I'm stuck at work, but this is a hella ambitious project! It makes my level on trying to rebuild Bob-omb Battlefield look tame in comparison.

Thanks! Good deal of liberties were taken but hoping it still gets the feel across :shobon:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pretty amazing level I have to say. While it is a pretty easy clear I still probably would have exchanged the clear condition for having Bowser drop a key just because it's pretty lengthy and if someone did have trouble with the boss there's a lot do redo, so without checkpoints I could see people skipping after a death.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Everyone who was asking after medals awhile ago, it's a weird, weird system. There are bronze, silver, and gold for each category, and those are based on thresholds. I haven't really seen any agreement on the numbers outside of some ballparks for endless. People also lose medals they've gained. This could be down to the thresholds actually being a dynamic percentile kind of thing where you get ousted because your rank dropped, or it could just be in categories where you've got the direct capacity to lose progress like maker points or the versus categories. There are also bronze, silver, and gold medals with ribbons, which signifies the literal global 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place for a category. Anyone who wanted to satisfy their inner completionist had better drop the idea because among other ludicrous requirements, there's maker clothing tied to getting those global medals in any category.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

By the way, is key death still a thing for red coin type levels?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kirios posted:

I plan on taking the easy way out with remaking all of SMB2 but with enhanced SMM2 gimmicks and tools.

Oh god, it's going to take so long :ohdear:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Violen posted:

Everyone who was asking after medals awhile ago, it's a weird, weird system. There are bronze, silver, and gold for each category, and those are based on thresholds. I haven't really seen any agreement on the numbers outside of some ballparks for endless. People also lose medals they've gained. This could be down to the thresholds actually being a dynamic percentile kind of thing where you get ousted because your rank dropped, or it could just be in categories where you've got the direct capacity to lose progress like maker points or the versus categories. There are also bronze, silver, and gold medals with ribbons, which signifies the literal global 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place for a category. Anyone who wanted to satisfy their inner completionist had better drop the idea because among other ludicrous requirements, there's maker clothing tied to getting those global medals in any category.

I noticed this and it's a huge bummer. There are literally people out there playing games for a living and I am not one of them. I get that it's just a cosmetic, but I've never been a fan of exclusive content.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

Pretty amazing level I have to say. While it is a pretty easy clear I still probably would have exchanged the clear condition for having Bowser drop a key just because it's pretty lengthy and if someone did have trouble with the boss there's a lot do redo, so without checkpoints I could see people skipping after a death.

Fun fact, originally he did have a key. Turns out you can't have enemies with keys on tracks so I switched it to a clear condition so he's not just skipped.

Which in turn disabled the checkpoint flag I had set up (can't have em on Clear Condition stages). Tried a few different arena's but nothing was working like I hoped so just went with what I did.

E: If he is skipped on accident I did include a loop back to the start of the level with a built in shortcut right back to the boss door :v:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been really enjoying playing the levels here. Some pretty nice levels I think!

The last level I made was during a friend get-together sort of deal where we only had an hour before we forced each other to play our abominations.

So over my lunch today I sorta did the same thing, I think it's a better level but I'd like feedback on it if possible. Hopefully this weekend with the Holiday I can sit down and make a longer course with actual puzzles.

It's called Junior's Forest Castle and it's key is: C4X-YVJ-YLG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Status update on this: currently at an impressive 7% winrate.

I’m starting to wonder if most people are just Bad at Mario.

Unless I am specifically gunning for a more relaxing level my sweet spot is 5-10%. That seems to be hard enough to be a challenge to a decent player but not crazy hard where they get frustrated and give up. Lesser players can :getgud: . Or, you know, feel free to keep trying if they're having fun or move on if they're not. The fact is that a lot of players are very bad at Mario. There's also a lot of children playing who are running into things.

I got kind of curious and looked at the current clear rate on all of my levels.

Classic Kit: 17.25% - slightly easier than I was targeting with this level where I was gunning for 10-15%. I think the clear rate has been helped because I think it's gotten into multiplayer rotation.

Abyssal Adventure: 12.24% - I was designing for harder, then discovered that I couldn't use a midpoint and toned the level back so this got to the right spot. So this got to about what I'd want for something that went wrong.

Blinking Blast: 7.38% - This got into the right spot; it's kind of tough so I made it short and it looks like I landed in the right place.

Going Galaxy: 2.95% - Whoops. This one has more attempts than any other stage I've made, though, so at least people keep trying. I think the gimmick of this level screws people up. Also, people have a lot of trouble with the first jump for some reason but not the jump I was worried about screwing people up.

Dismal Dawn: 6.87% - Actually lower than I anticipated, but not super low.

Hammer Hideout: 32.92% - :what: This was intended as an easy level for players to experience hammer bros, I was gunning for 15-20%. I think I gave players too many tools to dead with the hammer bros. On the positive side of things, 71% of players who tried this level beat it so I guess they stuck with it?

Spooky Star: 9.75% - Edging on getting above my target, but since this is a puzzle level I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Volcanic Voyage: 8.16% - I honestly thought this would be lower. OTOH, only 20% of players who saw this level completed it.

Piranha Plant Plant: 8.00% - A little early to talk about the numbers on this one, but that's about right.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I was mostly struck by the image of someone crawling into one of those claw games or something in an effort to get the prize.

Hold up, could you make a claw game in this?? Would the claw latch onto a powerup passing near it?

Thank you for spoiling my next level. I've already got the claw machine working complete with things you don't want to pick up.

Edit: I realized I couldn't post that without showing it. Work in progress, the claw machine is the only thing in it so far, the skee-ball does not work, but you can see it. W0J-JKJ-BLF
Not added to the goon spreadsheet, of course, since it's a machine demo. I'm deleting it tonight as I build the rest of the areas.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 2, 2019

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I made a couple of levels to get back into the swing of things. I didn’t get too heavily invested into MM1 but I’m really enjoying the new stuff in MM2. The only thing I don’t like is how night stages are locked into using dingly tinkle music.

That said I am mostly just making castles.

Tricky Tiered Tower
YRW-Q2X-RLG

Choosy Tower
HGX-CL6-7GG

I honestly don’t know how these are for others so feedback is welcome!

I always meant to make an SMB3 tank level in MM1 and never did. I think that might be what I try next, but I remember the constant bobbing of airship stages being kind of immersion breaking in the first game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Unless I am specifically gunning for a more relaxing level my sweet spot is 5-10%. That seems to be hard enough to be a challenge to a decent player but not crazy hard where they get frustrated and give up. Lesser players can :getgud: . Or, you know, feel free to keep trying if they're having fun or move on if they're not. The fact is that a lot of players are very bad at Mario. There's also a lot of children playing who are running into things.

That makes me feel better, my levels are hovering around that range and I was worried I was being too dickish.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When does the weekly Maker Points thing update? I got bored and looked at the leaderboards and got really excited that I was beating some of the people there but couldn't find myself :v:

Now that youtubers and streamers have it I figure it's going to be impossible to get past them but for a brief moment I was glimmering!!!!!!!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

So this had a lot of really neat and well designed areas but my god do not put in traps that require major backtracking. The level already borders on too long without that poo poo.

Thanks for giving it a play! Is there any part in particular that's the worst offender? I was hoping the big central area would be mitigated by the shortcut vines, at least, and that's the biggest potential one I can think of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glagha posted:

By the way, is key death still a thing for red coin type levels?

Now all red coins and keys reset on death so you can't make progress with red coins and checkpoint them anymore. So, yes, but now it's all the coins.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Anyone doing video playthroughs of these goon levels? Because if you are, I'd love to see them. Trying the codes is sometimes a shot in the dark, and there's a lot to try here. Pictures are a little bit more descriptive, but videos are even better, except if you don't want to spoil something in the level.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Random Stranger posted:

Now all red coins and keys reset on death so you can't make progress with red coins and checkpoint them anymore. So, yes, but now it's all the coins.

Well that sucks. I wanted to do a large nonlinear level with things to collect but if it resets on checkpoints that's gonna be a nightmare to actually play through.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last Visible Dog posted:

Thanks for giving it a play! Is there any part in particular that's the worst offender? I was hoping the big central area would be mitigated by the shortcut vines, at least, and that's the biggest potential one I can think of.

I left a comment saying "this part is mean" or something like that at the first section I saw. If that's the part I was thinking of maybe I missed the shortcut vines and ended up going the wrong way. There was also a part when the thwomp is smashing through the level where I spotted a door and jumped off to go through it which took me back a ways. Maybe that door was part of an earlier bit of the level and I just didn't remember but I saw it and went for it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, no no no, this isn't true. One of matt thorson's levels relied on this mechanic where you collect coins and return to a hubworld with a double checkpoint (which means they reset each other so you can keep reusing them) every time, and the coins get saved.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Wait, no no no, this isn't true. One of matt thorson's levels relied on this mechanic where you collect coins and return to a hubworld with a double checkpoint (which means they reset each other so you can keep reusing them) every time, and the coins get saved.

I could have sworn I played multiple levels with red coins and check points that reset all progress on death.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I literally just played a level where my red coins were saved at a checkpoint

Keys are still no tho

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've had red coins save through checkpoints. Haven't seen anything where I had a key going into a checkpoint.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Are the levels in the New Courses tab updated by date, or completion rate? Mine's full of stuff from four days ago, all sitting at zero plays, and I really hope I don't have to play through all of it to get new courses in there.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dangerous Minority posted:

Are the levels in the New Courses tab updated by date, or completion rate? Mine's full of stuff from four days ago, all sitting at zero plays, and I really hope I don't have to play through all of it to get new courses in there.

Try closing the software and re-opening? My stuff all gets stuck like that even though I'm connected to the internet/can still play endless and whatever. Individual level view just doesn't update until I close the software.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phantasium posted:

I've had red coins save through checkpoints. Haven't seen anything where I had a key going into a checkpoint.

i've had them saved and then sometimes they just reset and i have to recollect them again

acems
May 8, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

Try closing the software and re-opening? My stuff all gets stuck like that even though I'm connected to the internet/can still play endless and whatever. Individual level view just doesn't update until I close the software.

Mine has been inconsistent on updating even through a restart; seems like it also takes a little bit of time to update?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just finished my first piece of poo poo level that's just for blazing through as fast as you can, and I realized that this game could really use "medal conditions" where you can award bronze/silver/gold based on performance.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cicero posted:

Just finished my first piece of poo poo level that's just for blazing through as fast as you can, and I realized that this game could really use "medal conditions" where you can award bronze/silver/gold based on performance.

post it

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for posting the videos earlier, I'd seen the Ceave one but I kind of lost the thread and let my gimmick take over the stage at the cost of gameplay/aesthetics. I'll be sure to pay better attention to the important things going forward instead of being married to my totally incredible and incredibly original ideas.

Amppelix posted:

Matt Thorson owns and all his levels are great. Starlight Shells in particular struck a great balance between tough but fair. This tweet is a thread with all his levels so far:

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144514048651743232

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I made a mario

https://twitter.com/JunpeiHyde/status/1146102298222874624

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kids, stop making levels about precisely bouncing the super ball into a tiny hole :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Kids, stop making levels about precisely bouncing the super ball into a tiny hole :argh:

no