Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

barkbell posted:

She was extremely pushy about a number. I said I was changing careers and want see what opportunities are available. Then she threw out a number, which I just remained silent about, so she threw out a bigger number. Then I said I was thinking a little more and upped that number by 15%. She said wow that's a lot more but said she wanted to talk to the team and have them meet me. So I guess I should have thrown out a bigger number. This is a weird process and I am bad at it.

Assuming this is the same company, you should've just stonewalled them and said you need to have a more in-depth discussion of the responsibilities of the role and the problems the company is trying to solve, in person, before you can make a reasonable estimate on a fair compensation. If you are the guy they want and they are sure about that, and the only sticking point is some arbitrary budget set by upper management, good upper management will usually capitulate a measly 10-15% increase if the team is throwing a stink over it. hosed up bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ya same company. I did give her the response of I need to meet the team, see the process, and see what specifically i would be working on. she just pushed back getting frustrated and so I just threw out a number. I should have just repeated myself instead. oh well. interview somewhere else tomorrow so I hope that goes well.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Its not all bad, you got her to raise the starting number twice. I'm so awful at salary stuff I probably would have said something stupid when she said the first number like "that seems reasonable let me meet the team though" as a way to politely move on with the conversation... but it would have anchored me to the number.

Even if they "really liked me" they might try and convince me the best they could do was 20% more than that first number, and I might have even believed them. You essentially got that without doing anything.

Good luck with the next one, the best leverage you can have is another offer, can't argue with "I liked the team and the company, but <whoever> is offering <a lot more>"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The number wasn't raised from the original at any point, it went back to the team and they said no. This makes sense because they are not even remotely invested in them as a candidate or the vision of them on the team, they didn't even bother to negotiate because obviously they don't know him either. Hence why you avoid talking numbers that early even if it means the process ends there (the figures were never there to begin with).

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i was mostly interested in this job to use as an offer to play against another position at a company that i actually like. it's not a huge deal, better to make a mistake early on in the process and learn from it for the next interview, which is tomorrow.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
anyone got tips for passing a tech interview with flying colors? this poo poo is hard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
practice like 40 interview questions

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

barkbell posted:

anyone got tips for passing a tech interview with flying colors? this poo poo is hard

i ate a bunch of chili before mine today like they recommended and it didnt help at all!!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
did the chili contain beans?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
of course it did, otherwise it wouldn't be chili

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

barkbell posted:

fail a shitton first

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

barkbell posted:

Don’t take them, get all your jobs through nepotism.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't revise much for "tech interviews" any more. I mean, I'll do a few questions on leetcode or whatever to get me in the vibe, but that's about it. I want to give the impression I'm figuring it out as I go along rather than someone who memorized every variation of every problem ever. Also it stresses me out to read too much into poo poo like that.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

But like if the tech interview is not a bullshit algorithmic interview, then considering I do that poo poo day in day out, I don't really think too much about revising unless there a thing in the job description I don't do day in day out, and then I'll study that thing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

barkbell posted:

Do stuff on hacker rank and read cracking the coding interview. it's kind of dumb but you don't want to miss an opportunity because you didn't think of using a two pass algo or whatever. Some places are getting better and are using easy Codility tests as filters rather than doing the more in depth algo questions and wondering why only fresh cs grads pass.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

of course it did, otherwise it wouldn't be chili
swr

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what do you say to recruiters who are really insistent on getting a number? do I tell him a bullshit number to start and go up when I get the offer, or do I just outright say get hosed?

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
uhh does the dont-say-a-number-first thing extend to the UK as well? not sure because salaries seem a lot more leveled out here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it always applies

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
ah well i need a job I guess. anyway, I have not been sued by my previous employer yet for breaking 3 month notice period so that's nice. It was the start of may that they threatened to do that and i'm guessing they will not follow through. really really happy i left that place, my life is so much better now out of dumb startup and out of london.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

interview last tuesday hours before i fell off the grid for vacation went pretty well. i feel like i might be rising to the level where these interviews are several 'conversations' rather than hard-set interviews. i may finally be ascending beyond day to day computer touching, friends

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rex-Goliath posted:

interview last tuesday hours before i fell off the grid for vacation went pretty well. i feel like i might be rising to the level where these interviews are several 'conversations' rather than hard-set interviews. i may finally be ascending beyond day to day computer touching, friends

Best of luck!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

jesus WEP posted:

it always applies

it does but the variation is more like ~20k at most. Though with the salaries averaging 40k or so that's still quite a lot

London is a bit higher

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

uhh does the dont-say-a-number-first thing extend to the UK as well? not sure because salaries seem a lot more leveled out here

Yes.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Lol I've had recruiters refuse to email me, they only will communicate verbally, and wouldn't give any info about the job until they heard how much I would do it for. Definitely not sketchy at all.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

speaking of the UK I just saw a bank software dev job come up today which offers almost double what everyone else in the area does (>60k)

wonder how many applications they get, out of ~200 local software jobs on indeed they pay at least 15k more than the next closest competitor

I'll probably put in mine too b/c you know, hey

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Clowner posted:

what do you say to recruiters who are really insistent on getting a number? do I tell him a bullshit number to start and go up when I get the offer, or do I just outright say get hosed?

TwoQuestions posted:

Lol I've had recruiters refuse to email me, they only will communicate verbally, and wouldn't give any info about the job until they heard how much I would do it for. Definitely not sketchy at all.

They do this because a) they know people feel more pressured to capitulate on the phone and b) they want to filter/push you through as quickly as possible

The more placements they make, the more commission they make. They may or may not be affected by the salary they manage to negotiate for you, but always know that they're more focused on making multiple connections than one big one. They are trying to work numbers, and to turn that against them you need to be enough of a shoo-in placement that you can make them put up with actual negotiating skills

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

speaking of the UK I just saw a bank software dev job come up today which offers almost double what everyone else in the area does (>60k)

wonder how many applications they get, out of ~200 local software jobs on indeed they pay at least 15k more than the next closest competitor

I'll probably put in mine too b/c you know, hey

is this close to london at all? just wondering what it's like

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm curious to how Brexit is going to affect software salaries in London. Wages for devs are unexpectedly low at the moment considering the cost of living.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

I'm curious to how Brexit is going to affect software salaries in London. Wages for devs are unexpectedly low at the moment considering the cost of living.

as depressing as canary wharf is it has nothing on frankfurt. but that is indeed where it's going.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qhat posted:

you should watch the documentary film 28 days later to see

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

is this close to london at all? just wondering what it's like

It's not but it's still in the top five for CoL. Honestly I was a bit shocked to see that salary, that's like management level normally.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

how many software dev jobs are going to exist in london after they leave the EU? wouldn't the overwhelming majority of it go to dublin or wherever else the big banks are going?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

hobbesmaster posted:

how many software dev jobs are going to exist in london after they leave the EU? wouldn't the overwhelming majority of it go to dublin or wherever else the big banks are going?

A lot of the banking is actually international, the biggest one is forex which IIRC is a good chunk of the global market, also shipping insurance. The EU side of things is 'only' about a third

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, london will remain a european center, but it used to be *the* european center. based on just the movement of people i know frankfurt (god no) and paris (hell yeah) are on the upswing.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FYI selling services into the EU has absolutely nothing with being a part of the EU. I doubt that the financial services industry is suddenly going to shutter their doors in London and move to Frankfurt. I'm mostly wondering if there will be a limited contraction in the tech industry vs a sharp contraction in the labour pool, inflating wages for devs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Should probably have a disclaimer there saying I also have no idea how major economies work, just that I would like to see wages in the UK not be rock loving bottom like they currently are.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

belfast is a dive but it has real good dev wages for the cost of living. i'm a not-senior and i make about 40k, and you can buy a house in walking/cycling distance of jobs for less than 200k

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any experience with new developers undercutting on salaries? I work for a company currently that was just hiring for a react developer, had quite a few applicants with 4, 5, and 10+ years experience who were asking for 150 and up but they hired some kid who has not had a coding job before because he said he'd do it for 50.

Is this a common thing among companies or is my company just completely poo poo-brained? (This kid is going to break things lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pathetic little tramp posted:

Anyone have any experience with new developers undercutting on salaries? I work for a company currently that was just hiring for a react developer, had quite a few applicants with 4, 5, and 10+ years experience who were asking for 150 and up but they hired some kid who has not had a coding job before because he said he'd do it for 50.

Is this a common thing among companies or is my company just completely poo poo-brained? (This kid is going to break things lol)

this is pretty common in capitalism