Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

I'm confident on this one

Toxx for it then. The census will at the very least be delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Regarding the homeless, it's worth noting that bussing the undesirables away somewhere else already happens in some cities on the regular.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Katt posted:

Wow that's exactly what I've been thinking for years.

During my military training (non US) They pointed at the Bradley and explained that a regular APC can be protected by tanks against other tanks because the APC has at best a heavy machine gun. Since it's not a threat to tanks then enemy tanks will not shot at is as long as your own side has tanks on the field. Tanks that are specifically designed to take hits from heavy armour piercing weapons like that.

However with the addition of the Tow missile the Bradley is now a threat to tanks but also a very lightly armoured threat that is easy to take out. Moving it from the bottom of the target list to the top. Effectively drawing enemy tank fire to the troop transport.

I have no military experience nor real combat experience, but this seems like kind of a ridiculous point. In the heat of combat I'm just imagining a tank commander? spotter? gunner? seeing an enemy fighting vehicle and being like oh no we have a shot on that but it's not an enemy tank, even though it looks visually quite similar, don't shoot it, it's not our highest priority. It seems to me like they'd probably just shoot whatever they think is enemy.

That being said isn't tank combat almost hopelessly outdated, like the odds of actual tank on tank fighting with equivalent forces just kind of still trying to refight WW II doctrines?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

eviltastic posted:

Regarding the homeless, it's worth noting that bussing the undesirables away somewhere else already happens in some cities on the regular.

This is not really much of "a thing". Certainly, it happens occasionally, especially maybe some smaller municipalities, but it's largely a myth that cities are large scale trying to bus away their homeless population.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think I said this before in the thread but I stand by it: in about 10 years time a book will come out that talked about how Trump was suffering dimentia throughout his presidency, shat himself continuously, said the N word to everyone within shouting distance and tried to start at least one war every day, and everyone in the country will say "sounds about right" and move on.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

1glitch0 posted:

Oh, it's pure propaganda, and it's weird because you can just look around and see it's not true. One of the Sinclair anchors said how he was scared to get out of his car at night in dt Seattle and I walk around dt at night all the time and I never feel in danger. You just see tourists and people going to restaurants and chilling and nothing bad is happening.

It might be to minimize empathy when they start locking up homeless people, and I certainly see it working. They're just trying to create an alternate reality. And even people who live in the city like I do fall for it, because they take any random nut on the bus as an attack and the end of the world. It just encourages people who already want to believe these things, imo. But I walk outside my apartment and it's loud and there's a lot of annoying amazon workers, but it's not Death Wish.

Yeah, I live in Tacoma (which is getting expensive and gentrified as gently caress thanks to Seattleites moving south lol) and unfortunately even a lot of well meaning "liberal" types have been sharing that poo poo as well as pointing out how many more homeless people you see in Tacoma. And it's like... Yo, did the fact that your rent has doubled in the last ten years and your wages haven't give you something of a clue as to why you see more homeless people??? No they must be getting bussed in by communists to take advantage of social services or something something

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Katt posted:

Not impressed by stealth bombers.

That's an F-117.

Edit: a fighter, not a bomber, and I think it
It used different tech to be radar invisible ... or should have been.
They're out of service I think now, while ther B 2 is still going. For a free years more, at least.

Also I think the only one we've lost was that crash a few years back.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 2, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

No the text is just in Russian.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eviltastic posted:

There are planes as well, so this can get even more dumb!
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1146086718237552643

Surprise! Here's an expensive plane we keep trying to retire because it's expensive just to maintain because it needs its own special climate-controlled hangar!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well I hope the Sinclare people actually do feel paranoid to breathe anywhere cuz they're pieces of poo poo. it's not Seattle's fault they're paid to be state funded shitheads.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Toxx for it then. The census will at the very least be delayed.

Fair warning: don't tell other people to toxx, lest the mods decide to toxx you instead.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

I have no military experience nor real combat experience, but this seems like kind of a ridiculous point. In the heat of combat I'm just imagining a tank commander? spotter? gunner? seeing an enemy fighting vehicle and being like oh no we have a shot on that but it's not an enemy tank, even though it looks visually quite similar, don't shoot it, it's not our highest priority. It seems to me like they'd probably just shoot whatever they think is enemy.

That being said isn't tank combat almost hopelessly outdated, like the odds of actual tank on tank fighting with equivalent forces just kind of still trying to refight WW II doctrines?

If your APCs are getting sighted by enemy armor, you already hosed up.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

That's an F-117.

Edit: a fighter, not a bomber, and I think it
It used different tech to be radar invisible ... or should have been.
They're out of service I think now, while ther B 2 is still going. For a free years more, at least.

F-117s were always used to bomb poo poo. The designation is misleading.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eviltastic posted:

Hey anyone else remember when someone scheduled an airliner to fly by NYC in 2008 without telling everyone it was for a photo-op and how that was a big scandal?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Munkeymon posted:

Hey anyone else remember when someone scheduled an airliner to fly by NYC in 2008 without telling everyone it was for a photo-op and how that was a big scandal?

That was Air Force One buzzing the Statue of Liberty

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

cochise posted:

Indeed

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I am so conflicted on whether he's doing this stuff as a strategy (which seem unlikely because he's so stupid) or if he's so stupid he just babbles things (which seems unlikely because who could be that stupid?).

I'm also so unhappy that I have to think about Donald Trump so much since I dismissed him when I was like 8 years old in the 80s as a stupid weirdo. But I guess that's why we call it the hell world timeline.

Just to rant, I have tried to come up for an analogy for Donald Trump being president and there is literally no analogy. The best analogy would be Donald Trump becomes president. It's so stupid that even with all the horrific things going on it's hard to take serious because he's Donald Trump. If/when I get taken away to a concentration camp for being liberal or an atheist or being on the west coast I don't even know if I'll be able to take it seriously. It's so dumb I think it might be beyond my comprehension.

I can't wrap my mind around the idea that the guy who ruined a Wrestlemania by being a boring loser D-list idiot is now destroying the country. I was pissed about Wrestlemania. This is just baffling. I'm not naive enough to believe this country isn't poo poo or racist, but this particular person is such a joke I just can't figure it out. I still want to make an analogy, but there's no analogy. Nothing compares to how dumb this is. I've had so little respect for this country since I was 16-ish or so and now I'm almost 40 and I can't believe that my expectations have not been met.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

1glitch0 posted:

Oh, it's pure propaganda, and it's weird because you can just look around and see it's not true. One of the Sinclair anchors said how he was scared to get out of his car at night in dt Seattle and I walk around dt at night all the time and I never feel in danger. You just see tourists and people going to restaurants and chilling and nothing bad is happening.

A few years ago, before Uber/Lyft was available here, I was at the winter beer festival in downtown Portland with a friend, his dumbfuck neighbor and a few of my buddy's clients from Eugene, all white men. We decided that we were going to change venues and headed to a bar just across the river in inner SE Portland, probably a mile or so walk. While people started hemming and hawing over how to get there, I just started walking and they all fell in line. The first few blocks after crossing the river is in an industrial section with a pretty good sized chunk of homeless living in the area. The pearl clutching & asking if everything was safe from all of the dudes was hysterical. Especially my buddy's dumbfuck neighbor who I've gotten into with before when he said he & his wife were going to take tactical shooter classes in case they're ever in a mass shooting situation.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technically it wasn't Air Force One at the time as the President was not on board :eng101:

cochise posted:

Most likely designated as such to confuse Soviet intelligence

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Katt posted:

No the text is just in Russian.

It literally says "F-117" on the poster. Also "Greetings from Serbia".

The F-117 wasn't actually a fighter despite the common moniker, though - just a light bomber. And Serbia did shoot one down, but I'm not sure what the other two crosses are? There supposedly weren't any non-combat crashes during the Serbia campaign, but one was at least rumored to be grounded by damage.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 2, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pseudanonymous posted:

tank on tank fighting happens often enough but nowadays missiles are so powerful and portable that one of the biggest threats to tanks is a couple guys who pop out of a hole with a rocket launcher. there's tons of videos showing this in syria if you care to go down that rabbit hole (don't). and also you have to count in missiles from aircraft, drones, or even other tanks - south korea has some wild anti-tank stuff, for obvious reasons

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

1glitch0 posted:

I am so conflicted on whether he's doing this stuff as a strategy

thats a for sure no though

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If I had to guess someone tried to calm trump down about followers on twitter and why he didn’t have the most or something, and it’s obviously on twitter.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Stickman posted:

but I'm not sure what the other three crosses are?

Because it makes a better propaganda poster in wartime.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That seems most plausible.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

eviltastic posted:

Well, I know what I want most from the president of the country I live in is "the element of surprise". Just like when I go to work or to the grocery store or to the park on my day off to chill I always hope for an element of surprise.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1146077214196293633

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

pseudanonymous posted:

This is not really much of "a thing". Certainly, it happens occasionally, especially maybe some smaller municipalities, but it's largely a myth that cities are large scale trying to bus away their homeless population.

Have a Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

luxury handset posted:

tank on tank fighting happens often enough but nowadays missiles are so powerful and portable that one of the biggest threats to tanks is a couple guys who pop out of a hole with a rocket launcher. there's tons of videos showing this in syria if you care to go down that rabbit hole (don't). and also you have to count in missiles from aircraft, drones, or even other tanks - south korea has some wild anti-tank stuff, for obvious reasons

Offensive systems are always more effective than defensive ones. Defensive systems have the inherent disadvantage of being known in advance which means you can plan ways to defeat them in advance which almost universally comes down to using more or more powerful weapons to get through them.

That's why SDI was a poo poo plan regardless of how effective the systems could be designed to be the solution was simply throw more warheads at it until you overwhelmed it's capabilities. and why a loving border wall is god damned moronic.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

That's got to be one strong train car.

They transport big transformers by heavy rail cars think 350 metric tons big. Tanks are heavy but they aren't heavy. Tanks are something one could put on a low boy Mafi. That photo isn't good enough but normally one can read tare, net max and gross max allowable on a rail car like that. I see where it is I just can't read it. Given that it's prefix is DODX, it's almost certainly designed for what it's doing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

All the tanks and planes planned for the parade are just support for the piece de resistance:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Sure, it’s usually just homeless with mental health issues, like the 1,500+ from this one hospital over 5 years:

quote:

An eight-woman jury deliberated less than three hours after a two-week trial before deciding unanimously that every Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital patient who was given a Greyhound bus ticket to another city and no other arrangements for care after June 2011 should receive $250,000.

State law could cap damages at $100,000 per plaintiff, or $8.9 million.

State Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman Martha Framsted said the jury decision will be appealed.

The judgment could top $22.5 million if the cap is waived, said attorney Mark Merin, a Sacramento, California, lawyer who represented plaintiff James Flavy Coy Brown.

Brown was the subject of an award-winning investigation in 2013 by the Sacramento Bee that brought to light what the lawsuit derides as “Greyhound therapy.”

“There are at least 371 people in the class. We have been personally in touch with 89 of them,” said Merin, who took the case to Clark County District Court after a federal judge dismissed an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit in 2014.

Brown, then 48, and diagnosed with psychosis, told reporters in Las Vegas in 2013 that he arrived “homeless, confused and anxious” in Sacramento after a 15-hour bus ride from Las Vegas. After a day on the streets, hospital emergency room officials found him space at a psychiatric hospital. Brown was later reunited with his daughter in North Carolina.
State officials reported in 2014 that Rawson-Neal treated an average of more than 6,000 people per year during a five-year span, and that nearly 1,500 patients had been provided bus transportation out of the state.

(https://www.apnews.com/41169f5d54eb44b7b8728e723549468b)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

luxury handset posted:

the military doesn't really want to throw trump a parade so shipping in some token vehicles for a photo op is the bare minimum effort to keep president toddler happy

https://apnews.com/2e98f1c80ef9449fa1d4a95ff63258c0

e: the vehicles are from fort stewart in georgia, which as far as i can tell is the closest location to washington where tanks and other heavy vehicles are based. so they just shipped in a rail car's worth of tanks from the closest army base

Nah. You have places like Fort Pickett and Fort AP Hill that have many.

Here’s Pickett:

e: Pickett also has a Sherman on display at the gate.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Too bad all these mad people already burned their Nikes the first time.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I live in Tacoma (which is getting expensive and gentrified as gently caress thanks to Seattleites moving south lol) and unfortunately even a lot of well meaning "liberal" types have been sharing that poo poo as well as pointing out how many more homeless people you see in Tacoma. And it's like... Yo, did the fact that your rent has doubled in the last ten years and your wages haven't give you something of a clue as to why you see more homeless people??? No they must be getting bussed in by communists to take advantage of social services or something something

It's frustrating. I met a few cool guys waiting for the bus and we chatted going home and they brought up the Sinclair special and it was nuts. They bought into it even though they weren't doing very good and seemed pretty progressive and I tried to explain how nuts it was, but nope the "punch down" thing is real.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Republican party is a white supremacist organization, and your Republican family members are white supremacists

https://twitter.com/NRCC/status/1146125706340052992

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Too bad all these mad people already burned their Nikes the first time.

They bought new ones for the next 'boycott' because regressives signal their conservative virtues in such a manner.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Big Adult Military has to keep president poopybrains happy! They aren't even real tanks! Sad!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

They give a gently caress about a black man protesting violence and so they care from that angle to hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Phenotype posted:

All the tanks and planes planned for the parade are just support for the piece de resistance:

Those warhammer 40k memes with him are weird. I knew a guy that was super into it before the elections and he loved spamming them and creepy anime girls for Trump memes on facebook.