Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Gatts posted:

Is this good? Or do I live in mortal fear for the Butt has 25 million?
Butt edge edge is going to drop out. Even before the shooting in his town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

fools and their money etc etc

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Some new polls

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1146066907092488192

https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/1146117479439196160

Can we please retire the tired "debates don't matter!" argument now? Debates can absolutely matter if you do them right; it's just that we're so used to politicians who suck at them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Hillary16IsBAE/status/1146074428352192512

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Z. Autobahn posted:

Some new polls

Can we please retire the tired "debates don't matter!" argument now? Debates can absolutely matter if you do them right; it's just that we're so used to politicians who suck at them.

Polls don't really matter, so saying that the debates changed the poll results is not a defense of debates mattering.

Also that Iowa poll is weird, since it's showing that Biden's support held more or less steady (the most recent Iowa polls had him at 30 and 24 points) but Harris surged via taking Bernie Sanders and Buttigieg voters? That's an odd coalition if accurate. Guess we'll need to wait and see if it's an outlier or not.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Polls don't really matter, so saying that the debates changed the poll results is not a defense of debates mattering.

Also that Iowa poll is weird, since it's showing that Biden's support held more or less steady (the most recent Iowa polls had him at 30 and 24 points) but Harris surged via taking Bernie Sanders and Buttigieg voters? That's an odd coalition if accurate. Guess we'll need to wait and see if it's an outlier or not.

It's really not. The vast majority of voters do not think about politics through a coherent ideological lense.

Also let's be realistic, these polls are bad for Bernie and these polls matter because they shape expectations and reporting. At this point it's getting very difficult to imagine a plausible path to the nomination.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The actual campaigning has barely even started, so maybe we should wait and see before freaking out over some garbage polling?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

wtf of course polls matter

But, every poll you're going to see between now and the Democratic convention is going to be based on a set of assumptions made by pollsters which, if they hold true, means Sanders is going to lose. This has literally always been the case. I think Sanders was in the lead for a while when he was effectively the only person running or whatever, but other than that if you're expecting him to take the lead in the polling now that the race is on, it's going to be a long year for you.

I mean it's great if he does, but it's probably not going to happen since the pollsters are polling and weighting according to the 2016 primary electorate, and if the 2016 primary electorate is what we get in 2020, he's not going to win. So get comfortable with that fact. It's one thing if his polling completely collapses and he's down there with O'Rourke or whatever, but short of that if he's showing he has a following that's good enough, and we just have to wait for the first couple of states to know if the base-building he's been doing for four years paid off or not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Helsing posted:

Also let's be realistic, these polls are bad for Bernie and these polls matter because they shape expectations and reporting. At this point it's getting very difficult to imagine a plausible path to the nomination.

Eh, not really. There are still plenty of plausible paths for Bernie. They just involve two of the following three things happening:

1) Biden has to keep stepping on his own dick (highly likely)

2) Kamala Harris has to collapse somehow (moderately to reasonably likely, definitely plausible)

3) Warren's support has to drop down (another DNA test style flub could do this easily)

Any two of those happen and Bernie has a decent chance of gaining enough support that he moves into the lead. #2 and #3 aren't wildly likely but neither is impossible and the chance of one or the other happening is decent.

EDIT: oh yeah or 4) unusually high pro bernie youth turnout

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 2, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1146123379344363521

Harris bad.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z. Autobahn posted:

Biden was sundowning the entire time so

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Polling data still consistent with my 2016 prediction of Trump winning 2020.

Nostradumbass McHellworld has logged the f*k in :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

But, every poll you're going to see between now and the Democratic convention is going to be based on a set of assumptions made by pollsters which, if they hold true, means Sanders is going to lose. This has literally always been the case. I think Sanders was in the lead for a while when he was effectively the only person running or whatever, but other than that if you're expecting him to take the lead in the polling now that the race is on, it's going to be a long year for you.

I mean it's great if he does, but it's probably not going to happen since the pollsters are polling and weighting according to the 2016 primary electorate, and if the 2016 primary electorate is what we get in 2020, he's not going to win. So get comfortable with that fact. It's one thing if his polling completely collapses and he's down there with O'Rourke or whatever, but short of that if he's showing he has a following that's good enough, and we just have to wait for the first couple of states to know if the base-building he's been doing for four years paid off or not.

I'm not really sure they do, though I still enjoy going through the results and crosstabs, like with this Iowa poll that says Biden is in the lead of every demographic regardless of race or age. A poll showing Biden winning a plurality of 18-35 year olds is fascinating to see and is out of step with virtually every other poll. How'd they even find that sample?

But yes I am aware of the challenge and am already tabling and canvassing in my area for Bernie No Middle Name Sanders. Sanders path is one requiring unprecedented youth and minority turnout. Except for these 18-35 year olds in Iowa who say that healthcare is their number one concern and proudly claim to support Joe Biden. Don't know what's up with them.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Well, yeah, I mean, debates matter in basically three cases:

- An unknown candidate using it as a moment to boost their image and get their message out there (Bernie 2016, Castro 2019)
- A candidate comes off as consistently weak/flustered/inept (Rubio 2016, Biden 2019)
- A candidate very strongly and efficiently attacks another (Christie-Rubio 2016, Kamala-Biden 2019)

An aggressive confident capable candidate and a weak flustered sundowning candidate is a perfect recipe for Mattering

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mike the TV posted:

My wife pays for the top-tier Kaiser plan at over $650 per month and it covers almost nothing except flu shots. lmao at people that want to keep the current system. Burn it all down. Literally having no system and paying cash straight to doctors would be better.

I have KP and I say burn it all down.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ranter posted:

Just wondering what she thinks it doesn't cover. My employer gives me the same $653.64 Kaiser plan (I pay $65), $10 copays, $1500 max out of pocket a year. It covers a lot but maybe I still don't understand how HMOs in this country work.

This is how it works in Australia

Speaking of which, in Australia the doctor nearest to me that knew my family's history (he was my mum's doctor too) that I liked charged $10 more than what he was getting reimbursed by the government. I had to make up that difference. Finding a doctor that didn't charge more than the government's paltry reimbursement rate (what they call bulk billing doctors) are hard to find and typically overworked because so many people want to use them. All because the government says "welp, we think doctors only need $x to provide health care" when the doctor then says "well I need y$ to spend the necessary amount of time with patients instead of trying to get as many in/out the door as fast as possible". Then the patient has to decide do they want to pay $$ out of pocket to see a local doctor, or go to the hospital where it's always bulk billing rate and wait 4 hours to be seen. How does Bernie's model fix this problem that Australia has?
Lol that the risk of having to pay $10 out of pocket is supposed to scare people living under the American health system where five and six figure surprise bills are so common that people fight to remain conscious in car accidents so they can refuse an ambulance

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Marxalot posted:

Polling data still consistent with my 2016 prediction of Trump winning 2020.

Nostradumbass McHellworld has logged the f*k in :twisted:

That wasn’t the final 2016 result moron

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oracle posted:

Its fear of the unknown plain and simple. When what's at stake is your health and ultimately your life and that of your loved ones people get pretty risk averse pretty drat quick.

Especially when the doctors themselves (unlike nurses) are not eager to upset the gravy train.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gatts posted:

I mean you guys are working yourselves into a tizzy about polling eight months out from the Iowa caucus, which is still firmly in "useless data/noise" territory. So, it helps to go outside. I say this as a person who had to learn this.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VitalSigns posted:

Lol that the risk of having to pay $10 out of pocket is supposed to scare people living under the American health system where five and six figure surprise bills are so common that people fight to remain conscious in car accidents so they can refuse an ambulance

America, where you ignore that you're coughing up blood till you literally die because it's not like you have the money to get treatment anyways.

goethe.cx posted:

That wasn’t the final 2016 result moron

the point was seeing the famous polls man all disheveled on election night, sorry I made fun of mr nathaniel bronze

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My nana went to the NHS to get 100% free life-saving surgery that would have put an American into six generations of penury if he was allowed to have it at all, and when I came to see her they were out of free lollipops, what is Bernie Sanders' plan to fix this problem if he's even aware of issues with socialized medicine.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

VitalSigns posted:

I support m4a and Bernie. I was asking if Bernie's single payer is structured differently so that what happened in Australia won't also happen here. Sounds like it will (governments will underfund it) but you're right it's better than what the USA currently has. If it's fundamentally different and people won't pay doctors and health care providers $$ out of pocket to make up the underfunded difference then I want to understand how that's done.

Please dont assume everyone not demanding guillotines is secretly trying to undermine Bernie. I'm not that smart.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, not really. There are still plenty of plausible paths for Bernie. They just involve two of the following three things happening:

1) Biden has to keep stepping on his own dick (highly likely)

2) Kamala Harris has to collapse somehow (moderately to reasonably likely, definitely plausible)

3) Warren's support has to drop down (another DNA test style flub could do this easily)

Any two of those happen and Bernie has a decent chance of gaining enough support that he moves into the lead. #2 and #3 aren't wildly likely but neither is impossible and the chance of one or the other happening is decent.

EDIT: oh yeah or 4) unusually high pro bernie youth turnout

My concern is that it isn't enough for him to finish with the most delegates, he needs an outright majority, and that is much more difficult given present circumstances.

The big hope, in my opinion, is that these polls are more or less completely inaccurate (not hard to believe, since public polling mostly exists to garner views or to shape expectations) and Sanders' army of volunteers demonstrates that ground game really can be effective.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ranter posted:

I support m4a and Bernie. I was asking if Bernie's single payer is structured differently so that what happened in Australia won't also happen here. Sounds like it will (governments will underfund it) but you're right it's better than what the USA currently has. If it's fundamentally different and people won't pay doctors and health care providers $$ out of pocket to make up the underfunded difference then I want to understand how that's done.

Please dont assume everyone not demanding guillotines is secretly trying to undermine Bernie. I'm not that smart.

Bernie's M4A bill bans balance billing, so no doctors can't charge you extra, at least not legally anyway

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hot take: Williamson actually basically owns aside from being goofy

like she's basically Weird Wine-Mom Bernie and gently caress, I'll take that over like 75% of these ghouls

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

VitalSigns posted:

Bernie's M4A bill bans balance billing, so no doctors can't charge you extra, at least not legally anyway

That's amazing. That needs to stay in the bill. If Warren negotiates that away then she's fuckin poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Already banned under Medicaid also. If you take Medicaid payment you can't charge anything additional.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

It's loving insane to think you can reverse engineer the strategies of a party run by white supremacist oligarchs and merely apply the same tactics to fight for a completely different political agenda. All you're doing is giving your leaders the necessary tools to break their promises. All you're doing is taking the most politically active and conscious part of your own coalition and constantly telling them to internalize the beliefs and thoughts of the enemy.

Seriously, how do you not get that what you're describing has been the mainstream Democratic approach for decades? You're more or less describing the ideology of the New Democrats and then of the Obama administration.

This is one of the many reasons why I dislike Warren so much. How does she expect to defeat the literal white supremacist/Christian theocrat party if she can’t even go on Fox News? Bernie got a Fox News studio audience to cheer for every progressive policy he proposed by rationally explaining each one in a calm demeanor.

Warren is so toxic for the left-wing base right now. Please don’t fall for a centrist who literally took a DNA test for Trump.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Link to the bill

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
The reason that capital as a class doesn't support nationalized healthcare is that the driving ideological justification for their supremacy in society is predicated on the premise that the Government can't do anything right. Nationalized healthcare represents a direct contradiction of that premise. They don't oppose it because they think it won't work and be incredibly effective, they oppose it because the know full well that not only would it be extremely effective and incredibly popular once in place, but that once people see an example of a government plan working and doing what it's purported to do, then they'll start asking "well if the Government did this so well, what else should it be doing?"

It's the same reason why they hate USPS so much, it's literally a socialized service that's written into the constitution and calls lie to their assertion that the United States is inherently a capitalist nation. Their status is contingent on a mythology that's based on a foundation of lies, anything that weakens peoples faith in that mythology is a threat to them all.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

lol I'm not going to defend Nate but I think there's a difference between that and just saying "actually polls do matter." Like I've gone out of my way to explain why I think the polling is going to systematically underrate Bernie (and for that matter, though probably to a lesser extent, Warren) but you ignored all that poo poo in favor of the zinger. Good on you :)

But, I think if the polls did show Bernie with a clear and commanding lead up to this point with no sign of faltering, you probably wouldn't be in here talking about how polls don't matter quite so much.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

40% of respondents didn't watch the night 2 debate. It's possible that Biden voters were disproportionately represented in that less-engaged cohort.

And engagement is still a clear problem, given that over 70% of respondents thought it was important to nominate someone who supports M4A, the Green New Deal, and free college, yet Biden is still topping the polls.

Helsing posted:

It's really not. The vast majority of voters do not think about politics through a coherent ideological lense.

These polls have the same problem that every poll has: they're a poll of old white boomer sentiment, not of the Dem electorate at large. I'm sticking to my position that polling to see whether youth enthusiasm is up for 2020 is going to be a far more reliable way of determining the primary result than polling candidate support would be.

And the tweets make it even worse by leaving out the fact that even after the debates, "Undecided" is still beating everyone except Biden, with a whopping 21%.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
do the people who switch to harris not care shes terrible or do they not google her? is it just because she was an aggressive debater?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

do the people who switch to harris not care shes terrible or do they not google her? is it just because she was an aggressive debater?

They watched her for thirty seconds and she sounds like a go-getter

It's not just that they didn't google her, they didn't even watch the debate, they're going off of the 10 second clip they heard in the background at the car dealership over the weekend

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Z. Autobahn posted:

Some new polls

If 2016 holds true, we should see Biden's numbers go down for about two weeks before slowly ticking up until the next debate.
Debates matter, but their impact lessens over time.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

These polls have the same problem that every poll has: they're a poll of old white boomer sentiment, not of the Dem electorate at large. I'm sticking to my position that polling to see whether youth enthusiasm is up for 2020 is going to be a far more reliable way of determining the primary result than polling candidate support would be.

This is specifically a poll of Iowa though, which is extremely white.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

lol I'm not going to defend Nate but I think there's a difference between that and just saying "actually polls do matter." Like I've gone out of my way to explain why I think the polling is going to systematically underrate Bernie (and for that matter, though probably to a lesser extent, Warren) but you ignored all that poo poo in favor of the zinger. Good on you :)

But, I think if the polls did show Bernie with a clear and commanding lead up to this point with no sign of faltering, you probably wouldn't be in here talking about how polls don't matter quite so much.

I predicted Trump was going to be the next President the moment Bernie won the Michigan primary. It was abundantly clear that the rustbelt was simply not going to pull the lever for an establishment shill in 2016. They had Hillary polling 20+ points in Michigan as well. So yeah, I think “polling” has been proven to be little more than establishment gaslighting and public manipulation since 2016.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Skex posted:

It's the same reason why they hate USPS so much, it's literally a socialized service that's written into the constitution and calls lie to their assertion that the United States is inherently a capitalist nation. Their status is contingent on a mythology that's based on a foundation of lies, anything that weakens peoples faith in that mythology is a threat to them all.

eh, private package services don't hate usps in fact they rely on them because they basically act as a subsidy for last mile delivery services

the reason capital hates m4a is because they'd lose a captive market. insurance and the current healthcare system generates tens of billions in stolen wealth every year

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

eh, private package services don't hate usps in fact they rely on them because they basically act as a subsidy for last mile delivery services

the reason capital hates m4a is because they'd lose a captive market. insurance and the current healthcare system generates tens of billions in stolen wealth every year

That only applies to a segment of capitalists. The general objection is to the concept of government doing things period because their entire argument their entire loving movement is predicated on the premise that the government is inept incompetent and impotent.

And yeah they do hate USPS, they'll exploit it like they'll exploit everything but there is a reason why the GOP has been doing things like forcing them to fund their pension systems out insane times in the future that no other organization is expected to do.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Comparison of RCP poll average versus results for the primaries that Bernie won in 2016 (for states with enough polling for an RCP average):

NH - Bernie overperformed polls by 9 points
VT- Bernie underperfomed polls by 2.5 points
OK- Bernie overperformed polls by 8.4
CO- overperformed by 46.5
MN- overperfomed by 57.2
MI- overperformed by 23
AK- overperformed by 66.2
WI- overperformed by 11
IN- overperformed by11.8
RI- overperformed by 14
WV- overperformed by 9.4
OR- overperformed by 25

Bernie's success has always been tied to getting unlikely voters out in a way that dramatically contradicts pollster expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

joepinetree posted:

Comparison of RCP poll average versus results for the primaries that Bernie won in 2016 (for states with enough polling for an RCP average):

NH - Bernie overperformed polls by 9 points
VT- Bernie underperfomed polls by 2.5 points
OK- Bernie overperformed polls by 8.4
CO- overperformed by 46.5
MN- overperfomed by 57.2
MI- overperformed by 23
AK- overperformed by 66.2
WI- overperformed by 11
IN- overperformed by11.8
RI- overperformed by 14
WV- overperformed by 9.4
OR- overperformed by 25

Bernie's success has always been tied to getting unlikely voters out in a way that dramatically contradicts pollster expectations.

What about the primaries he lost? Genuinely curious.