Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

New level for you all:

Plumber? I Hardly Know Her!
Course ID: HVX-80R-LWG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

The mushroom kingdom has flooded! Mario must go back to the plumbing game to unclog the pipes so the water can drain. This is sort of a remake of a MM1 level, but it's actually more of a remix. It was originally just a very generic SMB3 level but MM2 allowed me to accentuate the theme a lot better so I reworked the first part of the level and replaced the third part entirely. This one is meant to be much easier than most of the other courses I've made so give it a try and maybe bring the kids along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Status update on this: currently at an impressive 7% winrate.

I’m starting to wonder if most people are just Bad at Mario.

It's more difficult than a Nintendo level might be. I didn't die, but there's a lot of little polish things that I can see getting people killed if they're a little careless.

For example, right at the very beginning of the level, there's three enemies marching straight at the player, and a somewhat low line of blocks right in front of the player. So if they're too slow to start the level they'll get a cluster of enemies to the face, but if they're too fast to start moving, they'll probably bump their head on the blocks when they try to stomp the enemies, and the third enemy is tall enough that it's impossible to beat or avoid while under the blocks.

Other than that, the main things I noticed were that:
- the coin trails over pits were often a little low, so I'd find myself barely making the jumps if I followed the coins
- the last track, the one with the zigzag, goes through a pretty cramped area at one point, where you'll have trouble avoiding the Dry Bones if it's active during that section

Plus I think that the seesaws are just relatively tricky for a "basic" mechanic in general, and one which a lot of people aren't really used to, which is why most of the story mode levels don't put too much in the way of platforming challenges on or near them.

acems
May 8, 2019

How do you even unlock the super ball?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do purple Toads mission in Story mode that unlocks at about 20% completion

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

acems posted:

Do side objectives in the story mode. There's a bunch of jobs you can get outside of raising money to fix the castle.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm a huge idiot, what does "try switch" mean?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a meme of some kind that's all I know

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

acems posted:

What they said but also the purple toad's first mission is to the right of the castle. I completely missed it because I never moved from the center area.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If I had listened to less of Undodog's jokes, I might have finished the Chief's art installation by now.

Though I have no idea if that even gets you anything, maybe I should have listened to more jokes. :ohdear:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chief's art installation costs way too much, and reruns of jobs don't pay the initial reward.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How do you get music to play constantly? When I move away from the trigger it fades away and the original track starts again. I know you can pin a track to Mario to have it play for the whole level, but I want a boss theme to come in during the final segment only.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How do you get music to play constantly? When I move away from the trigger it fades away and the original track starts again. I know you can pin a track to Mario to have it play for the whole level, but I want a boss theme to come in during the final segment only.

Pin it to the boss.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm a huge idiot, what does "try switch" mean?

The instructions for the Jam are at the top of page 25.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I make columns of the sound about six blocks apart across the area I want the song to play in.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There’s no way to speed up music blocks
Is there?

Every level I’ve seen just does on/off switches getting hit by a shell to simulate them. Barely anyone is taking advantage of 3d world features and I feel the lack of switches is a big part

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
One thing I feel people need to get better at is properly setting up those classic "speed thing in to other speed thing" set ups.

I.e. when sliding down a long slope with a ? block in the air right after, the natural inclination is to finish the slide and jump right in to it. Multiple times in normal/easy levels in Endless, that setup has appeared but been set up just slightly wrong so you have to immediately stop and wait for an enemy or something.

It makes me wonder whether the creators tested the play properly, or if they even notice they're putting that situation in. Or if their natural instinct after a long slide killing a bunch of baddies is.. to hard stop. Really weird. Or if they just feel like blueballing me I guess

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Do side objectives in the story mode. There's a bunch of jobs you can get outside of raising money to fix the castle.

Speaking of, on the far left is what I'm assuming is the save robot's antenna sticking out of the ground, how do you get him out? I can't interact with it, and there's a tunnel underground that's blocked by bricks. I think I got all the other side jobs done, the castle is at 100%, I just haven't finished the Mario statue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can break those bricks when you get the super hammer, which you get for finishing the castle and side projects

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Lukas vs Rosa 3DX-4TH-DQG
This level is an interesting concept, unfortunatly, Meowser's hitbox doesn't quite match up with his model. With only "one" chance to beat it, it forces you to play very conservatively, which means basically waiting for Mewoser to climb the side of the arena, where, due to his hitbox you end up "almost" touching him, then you get a hit and run. One way to improve it would be to add a koopa car or two, so you can get some "free" early damage in before you have to start swiping. Sadly, I cannot recommend this level as is, unless the player likes Kaizo challenges.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

My first level is a remake of one I did for MM1 called Castle Siege. It was probably the favorite of what I made in the first game so it was a fun starting point to get back into it:

9C6-29X-DLF

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I got a course in normal endless that was interesting, if not flawed in multiple ways.
1R2-8PK-30G
Focused on builder Mario, you smash bricks, thwomps, and ghosts. The first jump requires the spin jump to get over, and nothing else does. There are a handful of places you can lose the powerup and get stuck. But overall, I still kind of liked it, even though it killed my run. I was the first person to try it, so it was probably placed poorly.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm surprised there hasn't been more Builder Mario levels, that costume seems like it has a lot of potential

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Anyone have recc's for some good "read the patterns" levels? Not talking enemy spam, exactly. I like situations where there is a specific, readable way through, but it takes a lot of analysis to find it. I especially like when you can pretty much see the entire "pattern" at once. Specifically platforming, not puzzles.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more Builder Mario levels, that costume seems like it has a lot of potential

I'm working on one, but I'm a bad level designer and haven't had a lot of time. :(

e: Also, his hammer swing slows down his sprints, it's a surprisingly long animation.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Li'l Ghost House on the Prairie
30N-9LX-WRF
(EDIT: This will be deleted soon -- going to make some changes based on feedback.)

I don't think it's difficult mechanically, but in proper Ghost House fashion, it plays tricks on you and has some secrets built in, and I think it should be fun to speedrun. I'm not a speedrunner by nature, though, so who knows!

guppy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 2, 2019

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My most ambitious level is finally complete. Took me a few hours to do and what started as a simple concept of collecting coins underwater morphed into a thematic pirate treasure level with a kinda Metroidvania underwater section? Try it out!

Captain Koopa Kidd's Lost Gold
FKJ-V1K-6MF

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Li'l Ghost House on the Prairie
30N-9LX-WRF

I don't think it's difficult mechanically, but in proper Ghost House fashion, it plays tricks on you and has some secrets built in, and I think it should be fun to speedrun. I'm not a speedrunner by nature, though, so who knows!

More to come soon, but move the first hidden mushroom, i hit the invisible block and fell into the pit Twice. (Yes, I am bad at Mayro.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tnega posted:

More to come soon, but move the first hidden mushroom, i hit the invisible block and fell into the pit Twice. (Yes, I am bad at Mayro.)

Eek, seriously? I didn't think most people would even find it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Never put them near pits, even if you think it's an out of the way bonus it will be hit by accident and screw up the trajectory of a jump. I got really tired of that in MM1 (yeah a lot of it was deliberate, but it got on my nerves even when it wasn't and was clearly meant as a boon) and it's the fastest way to get me to quit your level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For those of you who enjoy timed speedrun levels, what are your thoughts on checkpoints in them? Obviously they remove the timer pressure and allow people who want to take things slower without worrying about the timer to do so. But does having that option feel like it cheapens the level for the people who do like nailing the full 50 seconds start to finish?

The level I'm working on would need kinda jank checkpoint setups because it's a super ball-based speedrun so I need a setup that gives you a super ball from checkpoint but doesn't refresh it for you if you just run through (since I want the start-to-finish challenge to include not losing it). I've figured one out but as I said it's kinda jank.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Phantasium posted:

Never put them near pits, even if you think it's an out of the way bonus it will be hit by accident and screw up the trajectory of a jump. I got really tired of that in MM1 (yeah a lot of it was deliberate, but it got on my nerves even when it wasn't and was clearly meant as a boon) and it's the fastest way to get me to quit your level.

This one is directly over the starting location. Like, to hit it you would stand still when you spawn and jump straight up.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Eek, seriously? I didn't think most people would even find it.

Seriously. Moving on from there, standard ghost house fare, obvious hidden block is obvious (good, as you hide a P Switch later) The dry bones are slightly annoying because of the camera (not much you can do there, and tolerable with the powerup before them) I would put a Donut block on the other side of the first door, as a subtle hint to look closer at them. Found the P switch before going in the boo door. Seeing the Boo ring clipping in part 3 looks bad. Not using the default 5 snake block is good, I would recommend closing off some of the area to the right of the vertical snake block, it looks too empty imho. The cape lets the player skip the whole last part, throw a saw in the air for a pleasant flying experience. (make sure they land on a conveyor, or the goal if they hit it though) Conveyors are nice and long for the saw challenges. Mostly just fix the first accidental Kaizo block and you'd be fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks for the help goons, first level is done!

Castle Smashers
YHH-G80-PWG

A standard castle level, but I'm pretty happy with it; there's a few goodies that aren't too hidden away and I think I judged the difficulty right.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

guppy posted:

This one is directly over the starting location. Like, to hit it you would stand still when you spawn and jump straight up.

Problem is that if you take the wrong door, and fall straight down, you are set up perfectly for it.

cheetah7071 posted:

For those of you who enjoy timed speedrun levels, what are your thoughts on checkpoints in them? Obviously they remove the timer pressure and allow people who want to take things slower without worrying about the timer to do so. But does having that option feel like it cheapens the level for the people who do like nailing the full 50 seconds start to finish?

First off, ask yourself what the timer adds to your level. “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'" I am pro checkpoint in general however.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 2, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

guppy posted:

I don't know the layout of your level since I'm at work, but a lot of people will back up to get a running start before jumps if they have the room and the start will always have a little room.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54tL1rYrfM

I love Ceave's vids. This one hits on some interactions I had no idea about, mostly regarding icicles.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. The obvious hidden block is meant to be obvious, but be upgraded if you find the first secret one. I was actually hoping to do more stuff with doors, but it turns out there's a hard limit of 4 sets of doors.

I get why you can't, but I really wish you could update your uploaded levels. I'd like to make changes but I also put up the sharing code in several places, so I have to decide if they're big enough changes to warrant breaking those codes or not. It sounds like it is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tnega posted:

First off, ask yourself what the timer adds to your level. “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'" I am pro checkpoint in general however.

The theme of the level is making sick superball trickshots as you run by at top speed (helpfully marked where to shoot) that set up the level you're about to run into perfectly. If you slow down and line up your shots carefully it still works but in my mind it would feel way less sick.

I do intend to get feedback on whether the idea is even fun before I throw it out into the wild but the timer is serving a purpose.

e: and I suppose while I'm getting feedback I can just have the checkpoints in and see if anybody finds that the level is actually less fun when starting from checkpoint

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Removing my level temporary until I get back home and tighten it a tad. Got feedback that it's too sensitive to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

guppy posted:

Thanks. The obvious hidden block is meant to be obvious, but be upgraded if you find the first secret one. I was actually hoping to do more stuff with doors, but it turns out there's a hard limit of 4 sets of doors.

I get why you can't, but I really wish you could update your uploaded levels. I'd like to make changes but I also put up the sharing code in several places, so I have to decide if they're big enough changes to warrant breaking those codes or not. It sounds like it is.

Make your changes now and save them while they are fresh in your mind. Keep an eye out for any other comments, then re-upload in a couple days. You will always have more tweaks to make, and sleeping on the level will let you come back with a fresh perspective.