Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
A few people here have complained about having to walk a long way to get to a boss in HK, but you can just set up a fast travel gate outside the boss room and warp there if you die in the boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

not a bot posted:

A few people here have complained about having to walk a long way to get to a boss in HK, but you can just set up a fast travel gate outside the boss room and warp there if you die in the boss fight.

They might not have that yet (or even know about it)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also I think that function was added in one of the DLCs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Also I think that function was added in one of the DLCs

It was. It has been in the Switch version since its release though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 2, 2019

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Also that DLC came out just a few months after the game's release and has been out for over two years. It's completely missable if just rushing through the game but also something that'll make the game far less frustrating.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

not a bot posted:

Sure, but you don't get that until later in the game, and if (like me) you're the type to start getting frustrated after dying to the same boss 10 times in a row after getting ever so close to beating it a few times, every bit of friction starts to add up, and you can't really decide to cool off and try a different boss fight instead without the prospect of a hike to a different boss, and then another hike back because you moved your travel token to deal with that boss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I've got big commutes in and out of work now, so I was wondering what are some of the good multiplats (that have been ported well) onto the switch?

For example, I bought shovel knight on my pc almost 2 years ago, but it still sits in my backlog because other newer stuff keeps coming out. So I'm thinking of just getting it again on the switch and playing it while I commute (if it's a good port).

I grabbed dead cells too and it's good portable too.

Essentially, I think the criteria is a good port of a multiplatform game that's fun to play while undocked.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

That FOMT remake better get localized. I love that game.

:hfive:

They already announced a port of RF4 and the 3DS is dead, so it'll probably happen.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kin posted:

So I've got big commutes in and out of work now, so I was wondering what are some of the good multiplats (that have been ported well) onto the switch?

For example, I bought shovel knight on my pc almost 2 years ago, but it still sits in my backlog because other newer stuff keeps coming out. So I'm thinking of just getting it again on the switch and playing it while I commute (if it's a good port).

Essentially, I think the criteria is a good port of a multiplatform game that's fun to play while undocked.
Mudrunner
Pato Box
Attack on Titan 2
Mutant football league
Rocket league
DOOM
Starlink
Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Both Wargroove and Into The Breach are great portable

Hearty recommendation on Into The Breach; it's just absolutely great

Wargroove I feel would benefit from some AI work but I still enjoyed it as a fan of the Advance Wars games

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Kin posted:

I just started Hyper Light Drifter for the first time ever, seems like an interesting game and it runs just fine on Switch. There's a lot of indie multiplats to be found on Switch - Celeste and Night in the Woods are great on Switch, Stardew Valley is okay though you can tell the interface started life designed for mouse & keyboard, and I have not yet played Into the Breach but I hear that it is a good game and well-suited to handheld play. The DOOM port is suprisingly good and includes gyro aiming, and I hear good things about the Diablo 3 port. I've never tried playing it because I don't hate myself enough, but I'm told that "Dark Souls" is a somewhat popular multiplat with an acceptable, if not stellar, Switch port.

I just remembered that Turok is also technically a multiplat with a good Switch port, if you're in the mood to pay $20 for a N64 shooter that is now old enough to buy a drink in the United States.

e: also despite my earlier criticisms, Hollow Knight is absolutely worth a shot if you have any tolerance for metroidvanias, and it runs great on Switch.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kin posted:

Hollow Knight! Hollow Knight!!!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I loved HLD. It's stylish and great. :love: Disasterpeace

Blotto_Otter posted:

e: also despite my earlier criticisms, Hollow Knight is absolutely worth a shot if you have any tolerance for metroidvanias, and it runs great on Switch.

Wasn't it received so overwhelmingly well on Switch that Silksong is a (timed?) exclusive?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wasn't it received so overwhelmingly well on Switch that Silksong is a (timed?) exclusive?

It's still on PC. It's not getting a PS4/Xbox version though (at the moment).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Apparently Penguin Wars is finally out digitally, go play that and bean some dudes with your balls

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
I'm curious to hear where most folks stopped playing Hollow Knight. I stopped right between The Traitor Night and the Bee guy. A friend mention something I would get with enough Essence to help against those but looking for the right amount has been a bit of a slog. Although this talk about HK has got me wanting to focus on it during the Fourth of July break.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Hollow Knight is definitely boring for the first hour or two but I barely remember that because you know, the game owns and that’s the bottom line

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I recently started a new game in Hollow Knight. I got the normal ending 6+ months ago and couldn't make headway on the essence bosses.

Playing again with a rough idea of where things are located is nice. While it is fun to cruise around the map later on, there is something nice about platforming with the basic movement early on and bosses with simple patterns.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Some of those sound pretty good, though the things like Doom, Attack on titan, etc are games i'd consider more big screen experiences even if they're a good port.

I'd really prefer not to be squinting at things.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hollow Knight is one of the greatest games ever made. however I understand that it may be too scary for some

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
What's with Fire Emblem not being up for Pre-Loadable yet? Marvel's been up for pre-loads for Months! I just wanna cash in this Voucher that's burning a hole in my pocket already!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kin posted:

Some of those sound pretty good, though the things like Doom, Attack on titan, etc are games i'd consider more big screen experiences even if they're a good port.

I'd really prefer not to be squinting at things.

I hardly play in docked, that's why listed some games folks might not think as good for handheld. Mudrunner is a really good time especially, if you just want to focus on mechanics and going objectives. And the hd rumble is really great for it feeling the road.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
For me Hollow Knight felt like reading a completely excellent 2,000 page book. As I reach page 1,000 I'm like drat, this is one of the best books I've ever read!! But then you realize in the last 100 pages that the story seems like it will probably go nowhere, and then the last few chapters are just screenshots of Super Meat Boy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

For me Hollow Knight felt like reading a completely excellent 2,000 page book. As I reach page 1,000 I'm like drat, this is one of the best books I've ever read!! But then you realize in the last 100 pages that the story seems like it will probably go nowhere, and then the last few chapters are just screenshots of Super Meat Boy.

Yeah, it was very Stephen King

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kiranamos posted:

Hollow Knight is definitely boring for the first hour or two but I barely remember that because you know, the game owns and that’s the bottom line

It was boring the following 19 hours, too, at which point i finally regained a shred of sanity and said "gently caress this, forever" and dropped it hard. The only Metroid/Castlevania/Metroidvania i never completed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Hollow Knight is a masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SirBukkake posted:

I'm curious to hear where most folks stopped playing Hollow Knight. I stopped right between The Traitor Night and the Bee guy. A friend mention something I would get with enough Essence to help against those but looking for the right amount has been a bit of a slog. Although this talk about HK has got me wanting to focus on it during the Fourth of July break.

I never did the Gods and Kings DLC or beat Nightmare King Grimm. I got rid of him the other way, which frankly is more in tune with what I would've wanted to do anyway even if it's avoiding this mega fight. I did beat the final final boss, but only because I realized I started it with full health, otherwise I would've said gently caress it.

I died at the end of the Path of Pain, the one time I made, as I was not expecting what was there, so I said "gently caress that" and didn't finish it.

I feel only mildly bad about it. But I explored every nook and cranny and I loved every bit of it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ah gently caress, i can't believe you've done this

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SirBukkake posted:

I'm curious to hear where most folks stopped playing Hollow Knight. I stopped right between The Traitor Night and the Bee guy.

Are you aware that you can upgrade your nail?

I stalled out hard when I got to that point. Then I broke down and used the internet and was like, "Ohhhhh."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The worst part about Hollow Knight is people calling it Hallow Knight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Like if you're going to misspell the drat name at least call it "Hello Knight"!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I did the basic main sequence of bosses. Never stumbled upon the grimm troupe or did any of the crazy hard path of pain stuff. I had fun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I got all three endings of Hollow Knight, where's my loving gamer cred?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Fun Times! posted:

I did the basic main sequence of bosses. Never stumbled upon the grimm troupe or did any of the crazy hard path of pain stuff. I had fun.

Yup, same. I got the worst ending as well and felt satisfied enough to not go back.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the true gamer cred comes from owning hallou knight and never playing it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

The worst part about Hollow Knight is people calling it Shovel Knight.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fortunately, when you accidentally say the wrong name while recommending Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight, you're stil recommending a good game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The true Hollow Knight is Plague Knight.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So, I'm thinking of letting Three Houses be my first Fire Emblem game. I actually prefer the heavy focus on chilling with all your friends and going on dates or whatever between missions. But does anyone know if there will be gay romances available? Trying to look it up just brings multiple angry forums threads threatening to not buy the game if there's anything gay in it, but no actual answers. I honestly might not buy it at all if the only romance options are straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

not a bot posted:

Getting my rear end kicked in Hollow Knight made me want to beat the offending boss even more.

this was basically me

I started it last week and finished the main game this weekend. Went in almost entirely blind except remembered some old advice of go somewhere else if the mantis lords are giving you trouble and had a ton of fun