Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Spider-Man: Homeward Bound. Spider-Man, Ant-Man and the newly transferred Hellcat have to traverse a great distance and encounter great dangers when the Avengers move and leave the trio behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
has anyone said spider-man homestuck yet

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bessantj posted:

Spider-Man: Homeward Bound. Spider-Man, Ant-Man and the newly transferred Hellcat have to traverse a great distance and encounter great dangers when the Avengers move and leave the trio behind.

"Scott, why don't you just live in your va- oh."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

About to watch FFH and loving :lol: they’re giving away the giant Dark Phoenix tin popcorn buckets when you buy any popcorn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really loved how quickly everyone ran with "Night Monkey"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Really liked the African-American teacher. I think I'd be the same in that situation

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

FFH thoughts:

I've got to say that the emotional power of the Spider-Man story to me is the guilt aspect; imagine causing someone you love to lose their life, and how that would define your life from then on. Despite all the people Peter saves, he can't forgive himself for that, and that's what causes him to keep doing the Spider-Man thing despite the strain on his personal life. Every time he does something good as Spider-Man the unbearable guilt goes away, if only for a moment. That's why he can never quit for long.

I understand that's an aspect that means something to me personally, and other people may be more attracted to other aspects of the character. But I gotta say the MCU Peter Parker doesn't seem to suffer from that guilt (if Ben's death did happen, it hasn't been the core motivation for his Spider-Manning), his core motivation seems to be more of being, well, being a really good super-hero, and living up to Tony Stark, which is even more front-lined in this films. The film plays lip service to the idea that Spider-Man "shouldn't be the next Iron Man", but then kind of walks that back by having lingering shots of Happy seeing Peter making a new suit and being reminded of Tony, so in the end it does seem that the core conflict here is "Can Spider-Man be an effective Nu-Iron Man?".

There is a specific moment where they play up the idea of Spider-Man being guilt-ridden, but it's regarding Stark, and it's a poor substitute for Ben, because unlike Ben, Stark's death was absolutely not Peter's fault nor responsibility. There is nothing Peter could have done.

I get this isn't really a flaw with the film, just a reason why this is #notmyspider-man, I just find it much less emotionally engaging. I understand everyone was sick of Uncle Ben, but I do feel that core motivation is important, and it being mentioned briefly in Civil War, and then not factoring into the character arcs of either solo film makes me feel a little less interested in this Spider-Man.

That said Mysterio is excellent, and what I love about him is just how ruthless he is. One thing that is very common in Spider-Man stories, and especially effective in ones where Spider-Man is a teenager, is the idea that this is pretty much a child going up against hardened criminals, and that he is way out of his depth. There's a wonderful scene in this that communicates this perfectly, where Mysterio just fucks Spider-Man up and it rules.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I agree that MCU Spider-man definitely feels like a very different Spider-man, and he feels further and further from comics Spidey every film. I don't think this is a bad thing, personally--what comics Spider-man had become had been replayed and bloated and recycled and mutilated so many times that I was sick of it. Comic book Peter Parker and his guilt and his Parker luck and all his complexes and nobody ever letting him stay happy, never letting him succeed, never letting him grow, dude was just Self Loathing Man half the time. I like that Spiderverse leaned into it in a way that made Parker play off the real protagonist (and without making the whole thing about Poor Sad Peter Who Cannot Win), and I like that MCU Peter has kind of been building a different direction, closer to what Spider-man is in Avengers books than in his own books.

Unrelated, it amuses me that with how they set it up, they could easily bring Mysterio back if they do the Sinister Six or whatever. Just have Mysterio being ran entirely by the crew--Quentin Beck still definitely dead, but his old team using holograms and poo poo to make it look like he faked his own death and is still kicking it (or that he's back from the dead, which comics Mysterio did a time or two).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The mid credit scene was almost spoiled to me yesterday and it was not what I thought it would be so I’m super glad about that because it was incredible.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I enjoyed it. Not great, but I guess a good way to send off Phase 3 and the mid-credit/post-credit was a good way to tease upcoming Phase 4.

- Far From Home was a bad title. The movie had no Home theme or feeling distant. It was about Peter's self-doubt and why he feels like he's endangering his loved ones. A better title would've been Far From Safe or Spider-Man: FFS if you will.
- Did you catch the Skrull reference in the beginning? When you first see Maria she calls him Nick, not Fury just like that scene in Captain Marvel. Even his momma calls him Fury. Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit
- "Oh did you hear what he said? Earth 883! They're going to do a Marvel multiverse!" Suck it nerds. Why would you believe him? You know he's the villain.
- Was the black tacticool Spider-Man outfit a callout to Flash Venom? I didn't read any of that.
- During Peter and Happy's little "I miss him" conversation that would've been a good time to muddy the waters a little. Have Peter talk about how cool and good and smart Tony was and Happy makes an "appearances can be deceiving" remark. Peter is too worried about how he'd never match up to Tony and wonders how he did it all. Then Happy asks a not so innocent question about did you ever notice how much Tony drank. Nothing too dark or edgy. Just a little something to humanize him and remind Peter he doesn't have to put it all on himself.
- Spider-Man is going to go fight an elemental monster! You've already beaten wind, stone, water and fire! You're going to give him AC/DC as an Iron Man call back! Have him fight a Thunder and Lightning elemental! Play Thunderstruck you shits!
- Peter Tingle. I get it. Once was funny the rest was dumb. There's no way those two old farts don't know what Peter Tingle implies.
- J. K. Simmons! I'm kinda done with the whole Jonah trashes Spidey in the newspaper routine, but publicly outing him as high school Parker is a good twist.
- Sandman and Mysterio are my two favorite Spidey villains. Its nuts that it feels like they're gonna do a Sinister Six and not have Sandman, Mysterio or Doc Ock. (BTW, Doc Ock is his nemesis. gently caress off with them Goblins.)
- Come on Secret Invasion. Tide us over until the FF and X-Men are ready to roll out. Come on Secret Invasion.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The mid credit scene was almost spoiled to me yesterday and it was not what I thought it would be so I’m super glad about that because it was incredible.

I thought the mid credits scene would be that David or whoever kid that was crushing on MJ would become like the Green Goblin or some poo poo. So glad I was super wrong about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JK Simmons is the only person to be re-cast from an earlier movie into the MCU right? Well, they couldn't have picked a better one

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Liked it, didn't love it. The Mysterio reveal scene (and his illusion scenes, and the entire climax for that matter) was great, though, and the entire theater marked out for J.K. Simmons.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

drat my thumb for hitting spoilers, I knew better than to wander back into this thread!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Arist posted:

Liked it, didn't love it. The Mysterio reveal scene (and his illusion scenes, and the entire climax for that matter) was great, though, and the entire theater marked out for J.K. Simmons.

this is pretty much my take

the first half was good but not great, everything from Mysterio in the bar onward was fantastic. Kind of a neat reversal of a lot of other Marvel movies, which have good first halves but merely okay to mediocre-ish back halves

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Berlin sequence in Far From Home was staggeringly good

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lunatic Sledge posted:

has anyone said spider-man homestuck yet

Spider-Man: Homeboy will finally bring Miles into the MCU

Heathen posted:

- J. K. Simmons! I'm kinda done with the whole Jonah trashes Spidey in the newspaper routine, but publicly outing him as high school Parker is a good twist.

Is it just me, or did Jonah's set on the Daily Bugle look a hell of a lot like Alex Jones'?

howe_sam posted:

The Berlin sequence in Far From Home was staggeringly good

It honestly reminded me a lot of certain scenes from J.M. DeMatteis stories

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Best mid credits scene in the MCU hands down.

Yeah mostly because it’s the first actual mid credits scene that’s actually the end of the movie. Like if you don’t see that scene you don’t actually see the whole movie. It’s the first one I can think of that you literally cannot miss.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

X-O posted:

Yeah mostly because it’s the first actual mid credits scene that’s actually the end of the movie. Like if you don’t see that scene you don’t actually see the whole movie. It’s the first one I can think of that you literally cannot miss.

Black Panther at the UN also felt like the true end of the movie, but wasn't nearly as vital.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ooooooooo Mysterio is petty as fuuuuuuuuck. He doxxed a teenager because he was losing a fight.

I can't believe they got JK back, it's literally what the fans wanted (and he's Alex Jones which is so loving perfect). Man Marvel just gets it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is it just me, or did Jonah's set on the Daily Bugle look a hell of a lot like Alex Jones'?

That was 100% intentional and I refuse to hear otherwise,

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just got home from ffh, some quick thoughts

man that mid credits scene, but i swear to god with all the parallels that they had with iron man 1 in this, 3 is gonna end with peter saying, "I am Spider-Man" in front of cameras

loving lol that whole intro explaining the post snap world was hilarious

i hope they actually get to have some scenes with may and peter and her being cool and supportive with him as spidey in the next movie, and not just like, a quick thing like in this one

despite being fun, there were some very obvious green screen shots when pete is holding up the tower in the venice sequence, which kind of pulled me out

quentin really was cool with peter in those initial scenes which did make me hurt inside after the ineviatable betrayal, but the bar scene after he gets edith was pretty funny

pete and mj :3

ned is entirely inconsequential in this movie but i still thought he was a lot of fun

the berlin illusion scene was awesome

happy seeing a lot of tony in peter and turning around i thought was very cool, i hope they continue with that

fury being such as rear end in a top hat in the specific way he is in this movie really makes a lot more sense with the post credits scene, as does his line, "dont invoke her name" when peter asks if shes available. and agreed that hill's getting shortchanged, this was her biggest role since avengers 1, but it turns out it wasn't even her!

site fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 3, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That was 100% intentional and I refuse to hear otherwise,

It's also very much in keeping with his portrayal in PS4 Spider-Man

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

After Spider-man 2, I was really psyched that they had were keeping the films pretty grounded in science and stuff and not going too comic-booky with villains. Green Goblin is a dude on roids, Doc Ock has some hosed up AI attached to his body and brain, it made sense. So for Spider-Man 3, I was excited for them to pick another real grounded villain like a Kraven or maybe something cool with Rhino or remove the vampire stuff from Vulture maybe

But my heart really wanted Mysterio. So many cool things to do with a master of illusion and you could even rope in some of the more unbelievable villains like a Hydro Man or a Morbius or something

Then it ended up being Venom and Sandman and that sucked the wind out of my sails pretty hard.

This movie delivered the Mysterio experience I wanted 13 years ago. He was absolutely perfect.

The loving sequence in Berlin was increeeeeeeeeedible

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 3, 2019

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought that was a pretty good movie, but agree that the first half was a bit slow. It might just be having that comic book knowledge, but the entire time you're kinda waiting for the shoe to drop. Once it does though, it's pretty drat good.

I will say that I hope one day someone points out how hosed up it is that Iron Man had a giant satellite full of killer drones just kinda... on call. I can't tell if the straight-faced hero worship of Stark in the light of the poo poo he kept on doing is supposed to be subversive or not, given America, but it seems like the kind of thing that say, Shuri might comment on

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As I said previously, this was after the Snap, Tony was most likely in full on protection mode when he built it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean its definitely in character for tony to do something like that. tony wanted an iron wall around the world as far back as ultron, and then the snap happened and he went full on bananas paranoid, but yeah its kinda funny that no one is like, why does this exist in the first place, as well as the question actually asked in the movie, why did he give this to you

e: actually now that i think about it, after an attempted invasion by loki, the snap, and the battle at avengers compound, people probably wouldnt think twice about it

site fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 3, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Heathen posted:

- Peter Tingle. I get it. Once was funny the rest was dumb. There's no way those two old farts don't know what Peter Tingle implies.

They totally knew the implication. That is the joke.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

i mean its definitely in character for tony to do something like that. tony wanted an iron wall around the world as far back as ultron, and then the snap happened and he went full on bananas paranoid, but yeah its kinda funny that no one is like, why does this exist in the first place, as well as the question actually asked in the movie, why did he give this to you

e: actually now that i think about it, after an attempted invasion by loki, the snap, and the battle at avengers compound, people probably wouldnt think twice about it

I genuinely love how loving ludicrous and over the top it is for Tony to have a giant space beehive filled with tens of thousands of absurdly lethal drones that will do extrajudicial killings of children without question at the drop of a hat, which he then gives to a teenager with zero training in its use. It fits his characterization perfectly. Tony wouldn't recognize ethical behavior if it bit him on the dick.

Anyway, I thought FFH was extremely clever with its use of (ostensibly) previously introduced characters and technologies. I don't know if that "BOX OF SCRAPS!!" actor was actually the same guy, but the movie made a great case for Mysterio and his team by smartly reminding us of other things we've taken for granted in this franchise. It's easy to forget that Tony wasn't just a billionaire, he was the face of a multi-billion dollar industry who affected the lives of all his employees.

FFH continues the theme from Homecoming of disenfranchised working class villains with a surprisingly coherent beef against Tony Stark fueling their agenda, but who are wildly irresponsible with their newfound power. Really looking forward to whatever is next.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
well that's some bullshit

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

JK Simmons is the only person to be re-cast from an earlier movie into the MCU right? Well, they couldn't have picked a better one

Not technically MCU, but Jennifer Connelly was in Ang Lee's Hulk, and was recast as Spider-Man's AI voice.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Noticed a lot of parallels to Iron Man 3:
Reluctant to get back in the game/suit because of past trauma (though Tony also couldn’t get *out* of the suit because of trauma)
Traveling to a new locale
Starts with a funny pop song
Does a big fight without most of his gadgets
Stark colleague villain
A bunch of drones explode
Major villain fakeout

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

JK Simmons is the only person to be re-cast from an earlier movie into the MCU right?

Chris Evans

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Chris Evans

And another human torch

Michael B Jordan

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spidey's great. Mysterio's great in so many ways the trailers don't show.
There was a point to the elementals being corny and boring big CG superhero movie baddies, but we still had to sit through, like, 40 minutes of corny, boring elementals before the shoe dropped. Thankfully the movie is fun around that, and then Mysterio is amazing and classic for the rest of the movie.

Heathen posted:

Was the black tacticool Spider-Man outfit a callout to Flash Venom? I didn't read any of that.

I was thinking Noir without the trenchcoat.

e: None of you are mentioning Nick setting up SWORD or Space Avengers or whatever at the end.
I dunno if I want Space Avengers for A5. I'd like a slightly more grounded start for New Avengers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 3, 2019

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone remember the old Spider-Man 2 video game? I have to think FFH made some references to it (FFH spoilers) the theater scene with the drones, and Peter having to hop on top of them to move forward. I was just hoping for a grand fight where Peter knocks him out by tapping him.

I think there were a lot of tells that Fury was Talos, he kept adjusting his eyepatch, and when he said "You do not invoke her name" regarding Captain Marvel it was very much what I would expect him to say.

And one more thing, the BuzzFeed comment about the guy who got irradiated underwater was a nod to Hydro-Man right?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unmature posted:

Noticed a lot of parallels to Iron Man 3:
Reluctant to get back in the game/suit because of past trauma (though Tony also couldn’t get *out* of the suit because of trauma)
Traveling to a new locale
Starts with a funny pop song
Does a big fight without most of his gadgets
Stark colleague villain
A bunch of drones explode
Major villain fakeout

I'm starting to wonder if the MCU Spider-Man movies are going to end up being a more colorful counterpart to the Dark Knight Trilogy.

- The silly "MJ"/"Robin" reveals.

- The second movie ends with the main character on the run for murdering a hero (who was actually a dangerous psycho).

- The second movie involves the use of tech that is really sketchy and ties into real world political bullshit that goes over the line in order to make us safer. The hero uses it for their own purposes and then has it destroyed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Medullah posted:

Anyone remember the old Spider-Man 2 video game? I have to think FFH made some references to it (FFH spoilers)

And one more thing, the BuzzFeed comment about the guy who got irradiated underwater was a nod to Hydro-Man right?

Yep. Right now it looks like we have Scorpion, Vulture, and Mysterio (did he ACTUALLY die? I think there's some wiggle room here in FFH). Did Shocker #2 survive from the last movie? If he did that's Four of the Sinister Six right there

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Medullah posted:

I think there were a lot of tells that Fury was Talos, he kept adjusting his eyepatch, and when he said "You do not invoke her name" regarding Captain Marvel it was very much what I would expect him to say.

it also explains why Fury's eyepatch keeps switching sides in promotional material :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it also explains why Fury's eyepatch keeps switching sides in promotional material :v:

Would love if that was intentional. I'm not a huge fan of reverse Secret Invasion reveal, but I do kinda want to go watch the movie again to see if there are any other tells.

I really do like what they did with the Skrulls though, I was getting bored with retells of comic stories and the Marvel formula. I do think Homecoming was vastly superior to FFH, but that's mostly because of Keaton. I think the "Stark bitter employees" was a nice setup of Mysterio's origin, but it did seem a bit too similar to Keaton's motivation.

I'm glad they touched on the aftermath of the Snap, and laughed pretty hard at Martin Starr's "Did you know my wife pretended to be blipped? She ran off