Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Status update on this: currently at an impressive 7% winrate.

I’m starting to wonder if most people are just Bad at Mario.

Quoting this so I can take a look at it after work, I can infinitely sustain endless normal so I think that puts me squarely at the average competence you seem to be tailoring the level for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thanks for the help goons, first level is done!

Castle Smashers
YHH-G80-PWG

A standard castle level, but I'm pretty happy with it; there's a few goodies that aren't too hidden away and I think I judged the difficulty right.

This was great. I like to poke around so I appreciate that you had a hidden coin room for me to find.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Got my hat for getting to 100 in Endless Normal.

Ladies...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more Builder Mario levels, that costume seems like it has a lot of potential
Mine was, but no one has noticed.*
Builder Mario summons boxes out of his rear end, but most people only remember about the hammer.

I'm making a Skipsqueak level, since they are adorable, and I'm learning all sorts of things. Most items drop through them, except for wooden boxes, and the boxes in turn can support powerups on top of them. So, you can make a thing that pushes out an item whenever the player jumps, which could be used for optional no-jump challenges.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Status update on this: currently at an impressive 7% winrate.

I’m starting to wonder if most people are just Bad at Mario.

I beat this on my second try; I don't think it's too hard, but it's definitely on the upper end of the "normal Nintendo" difficulty spectrum and it's got a lot going on at once, which is going to overwhelm a lot of players. I like the Dry Bones on the lift on the track, that's a clever danger. There's a jump early on right after the first Fire Flower where it's easy to accidentally jump into the Dry Bones above; I'm not sure if that's intentional, but you might think about changing it. I don't think it adds much.

I don't think the Fire Flower adds anything but an extra hit you can take for the vast majority of the level, since Dry Bones are immune to fire. I'm guessing that's on purpose.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016
I have another level:

Four Bottles in the Desert
7BN-W4J-DBG

It's got four little mini challenges laid out next to each other in the subworld so you can get a preview of what is inside the next "bottle" as you play.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

loving the goon levels. played about 20 of them last night thanks to the randomiser and it's just GREAT

of all of nintendo's games, this one deserves a corresponding mobile app the most. the ability to generate "playlists" and add codes to a list when you're not on the switch console itself would be supreme

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

National Parks posted:

I have another level:

Four Bottles in the Desert
7BN-W4J-DBG

It's got four little mini challenges laid out next to each other in the subworld so you can get a preview of what is inside the next "bottle" as you play.

That was fun. The monty mole room was the most stressful for me. Working around them in the seas of donuts was tricky.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I think Matt's stiletto level is legitimately my favorite I've played or seen so far.

I've really got to blitz some goon levels when I've got more free time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Everyone, I have an important announcement.

Diego from the Wii U is back.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And now for something completely stupid:

Arcade Antics
32F-RCJ-DLF

The Space Invaders segment destroyed my ability to do anything else in the level. And the Tron light cycles are crappy because snakes don't interact well and the green snake moves at one quarter the speed of the blue snake; maybe I should have done Qix with them. It's super easy to cheese the skee-ball but I could not come up with a reasonable way to prevent it. Basically, this is six very silly themed ideas put in one level because I was playing around.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

guppy posted:

I beat this on my second try; I don't think it's too hard, but it's definitely on the upper end of the "normal Nintendo" difficulty spectrum and it's got a lot going on at once, which is going to overwhelm a lot of players. I like the Dry Bones on the lift on the track, that's a clever danger. There's a jump early on right after the first Fire Flower where it's easy to accidentally jump into the Dry Bones above; I'm not sure if that's intentional, but you might think about changing it. I don't think it adds much.

I don't think the Fire Flower adds anything but an extra hit you can take for the vast majority of the level, since Dry Bones are immune to fire. I'm guessing that's on purpose.

Thanks for playing it and the feedback! All power ups after the first Mushroom are just Progressive (following Nintendo’s rules) with the exception for a few secrets. I realized early on like, 90% of the baddies in it will be immune to fire but yeah I liked giving people extra hits so I just kept it.

I’m trying to think what jump you mentioned here though, is it before you go Underground?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

vine climb infiltration
9HX-492-8LG

This is my first real level and it's probably really bad. It's themed around vines and spikes. I recommend that you pay for entry with red coins, but cheapskates can make it in they just might need to dodge some bullets.

Difficulty is high.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 3, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

And now for something completely stupid:

Arcade Antics
32F-RCJ-DLF

The Space Invaders segment destroyed my ability to do anything else in the level. And the Tron light cycles are crappy because snakes don't interact well and the green snake moves at one quarter the speed of the blue snake; maybe I should have done Qix with them. It's super easy to cheese the skee-ball but I could not come up with a reasonable way to prevent it. Basically, this is six very silly themed ideas put in one level because I was playing around.

I don't know if 300 was your desired number of seconds or if you forgot to change the default but I timed out in the space invaders section. Seemed like any time I got up high enough I'd end up stuck to where there were no platforms to get me to the pipe. I guess breaking the bricks might have screwed me over though. Other than that segment I thought it was really cool.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Svdl posted:

I end up spending a lot of time dressing up the levels. Maybe it just ends in a mess.
Here's a couple, I don't think they're particularly hard either.

M6R-M4K-1MF
I Want to Be an Air Pirate

I was always a fan of the airship levels, especially ones with multiple airships.

CG9-YJJ-L8G
Water Filtration Plant

The semisolid platforms in this style look like they're from a megaman game.

Also one level with a clear condition, pretty short too.

ML3-XH1-YKG
No Wizards Allowed

You shouldn't be able to gently caress yourself over.

All of these have superb level design and fun to play. No Wizards Allowed was my favorite, and by far the most challenging. The thwamp out of nowhere in the beginning made me laugh.

Things got a little crazy here

Also me and my clown ship got squished on the way back lol

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 3, 2019

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Strange Factory
1FT-BRF-GXG

i liked making my last wacky factory level so much that i made another one! this one should be moderately challenging, with a mix of gadgets and goombas. there's conveyor belts, claws, a freight elevator and a secret shortcut. i also tried making sure every room had interesting things to look at, and i'm quite happy with the results.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

Thank goodness. I updated the OP.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 3, 2019

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I'm experimenting with something, so I could use mass likes on a level.

moneybelt
FY2-Q8F-TWF

It's literally just one screen long, no way to die unless you run the clock out.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CRAYON posted:

vine climb infiltration
9HX-492-8LG

This is my first real level and it's probably really bad. It's themed around vines and spikes. I recommend that you pay for entry with red coins, but cheapskates can make it in they just might need to dodge some bullets.

Difficulty is either high or I'm just really bad at Mario.

If a stage is too difficult for the creator then you need to ease up. While the first part was tough but doable I want to call attention to this bullshit:

When designing your level you need to test for all power up states the player can be in. This jump off the koopa is impossible with big Mario. You have to be small to clear the ceiling. This really sucks for anyone who made it this far with the power up. Anyway I missed a coin somewhere so I couldn't take the shortcut., but I made it right to the goal post when I got hit by bullet in that hideous section of spam you've got there. I couldn't be assed with replaying it for the clear.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Mega64 posted:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

J-Spot posted:

If a stage is too difficult for the creator then you need to ease up. While the first part was tough but doable I want to call attention to this bullshit:

When designing your level you need to test for all power up states the player can be in. This jump off the koopa is impossible with big Mario. You have to be small to clear the ceiling. This really sucks for anyone who made it this far with the power up. Anyway I missed a coin somewhere so I couldn't take the shortcut., but I made it right to the goal post when I got hit by bullet in that hideous section of spam you've got there. I couldn't be assed with replaying it for the clear.

Thanks for the input. I've definitely done the section in the screenshot as big Mario multiple times so it's not impossible. The hideous section of spam is intentional because I wanted people to get the coins. Maybe I should up the timer so that people make sure to grab them all.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CRAYON posted:

Thanks for the input. I've definitely done the section in the screenshot as big Mario multiple times so it's not impossible. The hideous section of spam is intentional because I wanted people to get the coins. Maybe I should up the timer so that people make sure to grab them all.

A good rule of thumb is any time you think something is a little tight or technical, tweak things to give more room for error. This is doubly true for normal rear end jumps that have nothing to do with the level concept.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eonwe posted:

Someone taught me about https://randomactsofmario.com/

it owns

Whoa, this is dope. Bookmarking, thanks!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for some more randomly selected goon levels as my dinner cooks.

Climbing The Bouncy Tree
KML-FG7-WDG
By: Live Free

Short and lovely. A few tricky jumps but nothing outrageous.

Slings & Things
PFJ-V41-RRF
By: Shifty gimbal

Good implementation and iteration of the concept. Not very difficult but I think you knew what you were doing there. I thought I broke it at one point by not being able to launch the spring but moving up and down cleared it for some reason.

Dry Dry Athletic
FHK-T22-1QG
By: Hyper Crab Tank

Hang on, someone seems to have uploaded a level from an unreleased New Super Mario Bros U game! Really great flow to this level and it feels good. Also, no indecipherable mspaint Mario paint comment for you because you turned them off.

Coin Ball Bash
1KP - 7FQ - FQF
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

Oh Daisy! This feels like a quick demo for the super ball rather than a full fledged course. I did run into a problem where the ball despawned before bouncing around to collect the 50 big coin in the subworld. Chasing the ball took care of that, though.

Cruise Through The Clouds
WB3-R1V-LPF
By: BowieFett

Loved the concept and juggling enemies to keep afloat worked great, though I didn't lose any boat parts until the very end.

J-Spot posted:

I don't know if 300 was your desired number of seconds or if you forgot to change the default but I timed out in the space invaders section. Seemed like any time I got up high enough I'd end up stuck to where there were no platforms to get me to the pipe. I guess breaking the bricks might have screwed me over though. Other than that segment I thought it was really cool.

That segment was the only one I anticipated taking players any time so I thought the default would be fine. Since this is a lark rather than a real level, I probably should have just cranked it up so people could play around more.

FWIW, I made sure there was always a path of unbreakable platforms available, though I'll admit it is the trickiest part. I also had to delete some extra springs that appeared inbetween waves because the item cap is mean.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

A shell’s movement does not always seem to be consistent using SMB1. For instance, a kicked shell that falls off a ground’s edge may or may not hit a coin block, despite the velocity appearing the same as it was before when it was scooting across the ground. Any explanation for this, or a way to make it consistent, or is it designed to have some randomness?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Thank you to the goons who played my (kaizoish?) level, Ice Maker. After the initial goon rush I got a lot of plays and it seemed like a couple people who lost to it in Endless then got determined and beat it anyway.

It's super cool that this thread helps us all get our levels listed so we can get more exposure from randos.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Id like to see an "endless new" mode that only serves up levels that havent been cleared (or gets shoved into super expert after a certain number) that way people dont have to depend on this thread or other places to get it into the rotation. Its the only complaint I have about this game so far, at least until I get to the 32 level limit lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Things I've learned about multiplayer versus:

If there's a clear condition, ignore it. Some other sucker will do it while you're advancing to the flag. The moment they trigger it, you win.

Don't stand at the front of the box at the start, stand at the back and as the "1" vanishes, start running forward. You'll be moving at running speed, take a leap over everyone else, and probably get boosted a greater distance by one of them trying to jump out of the three person traffic jam.

I don't know how I have a three win streak but somehow I do...

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLDuIZJzok

Yes hello I'd like to file a complaint.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100 percented story mode. I really enjoyed it but having to farm for coins to get the last 2 unlocks was pretty lame. I enjoyed the last course being a hard version of 1-1.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Something Awful
MD2-HB6-B3G

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I made another level, called At the mountains of moleness: 556-CM1-87G. It's a puzzle level involving killing monty moles with icicles.

Afterthoughts: This one was actually kind of frustrating - about halfway through making it, I realized that I was severely limited in puzzle options because you could just kill monty moles with on/off switch blocks, which severely limited puzzle options (which is why the fourth puzzle is designed to make you hit a switch while he's offscreen - to make timing it harder). I'm not sure if there's much that can be done with the concept, ultimately. This is also why some of the environmental set pieces exist after the 'boss' - drat moles! :argh: I still enjoyed making it for the most part, and I hope you'll enjoy playing it. :)

e: I'd also be thrilled if someone came up with some more twists on this concept.

Violen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLDuIZJzok

Yes hello I'd like to file a complaint.

:owned:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 3, 2019

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s
I was playing with things and realized if you put a muncher on top of a ? block and put a P switch in the ? block you end up with a P switch that is toggled when Mario hits the ? block. I ran with the idea and made a level based around it.

Mario Teaches Math
TC6-V02-GKG

You can get the 1up mushroom if you solve the divide by zero question.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

President Ark posted:

I made another level, called At the mountains of moleness: 556-CM1-87G. It's a puzzle level involving killing monty moles with icicles.

Unless I'm missing something I got softlocked in the section with the twisters, the poor mole can't escape their grasp.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

lunar detritus posted:

Unless I'm missing something I got softlocked in the section with the twisters, the poor mole can't escape their grasp.

move back and forth and it can wiggle out of it

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

President Ark posted:

move back and forth and it can wiggle out of it

After restarting it worked!

Gluteus Maximus
Oct 20, 2007

OH LAWD, HE COMIN'
TO TOWN
Here's my very first and uninspired level, Deadly Horrors [KPT-JSX-VQG].

Praise and/or insults welcomed.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Alright, uploaded the level again - it's a much faster level now and removed some of the fluff. Give this weird Metroidvania another shot!

Captain Koopa Kidd's Lost Gold
MV1-CQV-QNF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
The people cry out for justice, shutting down an arms factory is a start.

Button Bastion
ID: FKB-YB4-DYF

(Here is my game jam for "Try Switch", which gave me more trouble than it should've and I'm pretty sure came out way too easy.)

Also, I posted a level earlier today but I think it may have been overlooked.

Coral Crawl
ID: PYD-D60-7VF

Salastine fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 3, 2019