Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Violence posted:

So, I'm thinking of letting Three Houses be my first Fire Emblem game. I actually prefer the heavy focus on chilling with all your friends and going on dates or whatever between missions. But does anyone know if there will be gay romances available? Trying to look it up just brings multiple angry forums threads threatening to not buy the game if there's anything gay in it, but no actual answers. I honestly might not buy it at all if the only romance options are straight.

I feel like the newer 3DS Fire Emblems have had stuff like this... but I honestly don't know. I could see Nintendo specifically avoiding that unfortunately. I can't think of any of their games that's in any way outwardly gay-friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bushisms.txt posted:

I hardly play in docked, that's why listed some games folks might not think as good for handheld. Mudrunner is a really good time especially, if you just want to focus on mechanics and going objectives. And the hd rumble is really great for it feeling the road.

Mudrunner is shockingly good as a portable game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Cartoon Violence posted:

So, I'm thinking of letting Three Houses be my first Fire Emblem game. I actually prefer the heavy focus on chilling with all your friends and going on dates or whatever between missions. But does anyone know if there will be gay romances available? Trying to look it up just brings multiple angry forums threads threatening to not buy the game if there's anything gay in it, but no actual answers. I honestly might not buy it at all if the only romance options are straight.

Fates had it. There's a fairly reputable leak that says Three Houses will as well

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I picked up Hollow Knight on the ps4 when it was on sale a few weeks ago, but like Shovel knight on the PC I dunno if I'll get around to playing it for a long time. I hate double dipping, but if I get it on the Switch, I'm at least likely to play it commuting to work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The leak seems to say there's one or two gay Male romances available and several gay female romances available, which is about the usual for recent fire emblems

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The leak seems to say there's one or two gay Male romances available and several gay female romances available, which is about the usual for recent fire emblems

There's also a route where you cure a lesbian. This is part of Nintendo's attempt to widen their consumer demography to religious fundamentalists.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

There's also a route where you cure a lesbian. This is part of Nintendo's attempt to widen their consumer demography to religious fundamentalists.

To be fair NA cut that poo poo out when they localized it

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Add conversion therapy to smash.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Add conversion therapy to smash.

Nothing will convert me to believing sword characters (and the people that main them) aren't a pox on an otherwise fun game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Convert the Fire Emblem characters to the recycle bin.

(Except Ike, I like Ike.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Convert the Fire Emblem characters to the recycle bin.

(Except Ike, I like Ike.)

:911:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE9rxYNS1Y0&t=15s

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Now they've finally caught up to Mass Effect at least.

Andromeda had like, what one or two gay Male romances? And they weren't even with an an alien when the game launched your choices for dudes as a dude were just two other human dudes. They added back in an alien guy in a patch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SirBukkake posted:

I'm curious to hear where most folks stopped playing Hollow Knight. I stopped right between The Traitor Night and the Bee guy. A friend mention something I would get with enough Essence to help against those but looking for the right amount has been a bit of a slog. Although this talk about HK has got me wanting to focus on it during the Fourth of July break.

I stalled out on... I forget what his name was. Big fat guy who slams through the floor. After beating my head against him and clearing his first phase, the second phase just wrecked me. After several more failed attempts where I actually got rather good at the first phase but kept getting ganked on the second, I died on the way back to the boss to collect my soul and lost all my money.

Again.

Third or fourth time that happened and I was just sick of it. I put the game down and I haven't put it back up. I hate the bosses.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
sounds like Soul Master and I got road blocked on that fight too. Ended up going on a tour of other areas until I felt ready. Taking a breather and trying again later usually solved my boss woes

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hallow knight really needed more romances written in

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

If I play a girl in the new Friends of Mineral Town, can I marry Karen?

If not, can I marry some guy, have him work the farm, then go day drink with Karen?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

No please, that will just lead to more flower quests or Zote fights

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Virtua Racing feels so good holy poo poo. The aesthetic of it is like a vaporwave music video but running at 60fps. I got my first sub 39sec lap on the beginner track during lunch, felt really good. I'd be curious to see it going with 8 players on the same Switch!

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Hollow Knight discussion reminds me of this weird trend I see lately for games where people put the most generic boss names and descriptions in spoiler tags. Like one's enjoyment of a game will be ruined if you know there's a boss named Dwayne the Big Fatass Zombie or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Hollow Knight discussion reminds me of this weird trend I see lately for games where people put the most generic boss names and descriptions in spoiler tags. Like one's enjoyment of a game will be ruined if you know there's a boss named Dwayne the Big Fatass Zombie or something.

It's because there's a ridiculous number of people who think things like previews or the back of the box are spoilers and have a fit if they get something spoiled for them

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

HenryEx posted:

It was boring the following 19 hours, too, at which point i finally regained a shred of sanity and said "gently caress this, forever" and dropped it hard. The only Metroid/Castlevania/Metroidvania i never completed.

Game grump spotted

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
hollow knight is a very good game and everyone should play it.

I'm finally getting around to octopath traveler, it's very fun so far.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I just err on the side of caution, bro. :shrug: It hurts no one to throw a thing under spoiler tags as a precautionary measure. You're the one who's being weird here.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Bank Bae best bae.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I just err on the side of caution, bro. :shrug: It hurts no one to throw a thing under spoiler tags as a precautionary measure. You're the one who's being weird here.

It hinders meaningful discussion and critique of artistic works and reinforces conservatism in our cultural landscape.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
respectful spoilers = conservatism is certainly an opinion

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hollow Knight is great but I accept it's not for everyone. A metroidvania that's mechanically demanding and closer in length to a 3d Zelda or a shortish JRPG isn't gonna please everyone.

Such a good experience though. People who stopped after the "first ending" missed out on some of the most moody and wild areas, as well as half the game's plot. The climb out of the void and everything that's down there is so eerie and cool.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kin posted:

So I've got big commutes in and out of work now, so I was wondering what are some of the good multiplats (that have been ported well) onto the switch?

For example, I bought shovel knight on my pc almost 2 years ago, but it still sits in my backlog because other newer stuff keeps coming out. So I'm thinking of just getting it again on the switch and playing it while I commute (if it's a good port).

I grabbed dead cells too and it's good portable too.

Essentially, I think the criteria is a good port of a multiplatform game that's fun to play while undocked.

Adding to the Into the Breach love. Also Slay the Spire is fantastic. I like turn based stuff for commutes personally.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

hollow knight is not for people who are bad at video games and that's ok

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone! Here's to hoping the leaks are true and I can be a gay woman and maybe 20 years from now I can be a gay trans woman who also is an anime swords user in Smash 7.

Also I want to note that GameFAQs users are simultaneously angry at the idea of gay romance options but hyper vigilant defenders of romancing your baby sister, for what it's worth.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

romanowski posted:

hollow knight is not for people who are bad at video games and that's ok

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Kikkoman posted:

Virtua Racing feels so good holy poo poo. The aesthetic of it is like a vaporwave music video but running at 60fps. I got my first sub 39sec lap on the beginner track during lunch, felt really good. I'd be curious to see it going with 8 players on the same Switch!

I haven’t been able to get into an online match, have you?

But yeah the game just feels right. The drift on the car as you nail a turn is great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

romanowski posted:

hollow knight is [...] bad [...] video games and that's ok

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

The age old problem of depressed bitter extremely online people who are unable to mentally separate bad games from “not for me” games

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Mario maker worth the 60$? I like the idea of playing Mario and also making Mario for others. But will I get what is 3 hollowknights price worth of gaming?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Up until now, hollow knight has been the best value for money on the switch, at 25¢ per hour of gameplay.

Mario maker is three times as much, but offers potentially infinite gameplay.

This demonstrates that judging a game by the time it takes to beat is dumb as hell

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mario maker is amazing and I’m not a super big Mario fan even

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Len posted:

It's because there's a ridiculous number of people who think things like previews or the back of the box are spoilers and have a fit if they get something spoiled for them

Yeah I guess I see this everywhere now, not just in video game threads. Like how every single plot point of a current movie is considered to be a spoiler.

Silver Falcon posted:

Sorry I wasn't trying to single you or anyone or out, it's just something I notice because I compulsively look at everything in a spoiler tag, and like 80% of the time it's something that's basically meaningless. It doesn't really bother me, I just think it's a weird trend.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

didn't see this earlier, new trailer for Daemon X Machina listing the changes they're making after the beta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxwUByr7woc

I didn't get the chance to play the beta but I really hope it turns out good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Mario maker worth the 60$? I like the idea of playing Mario and also making Mario for others. But will I get what is 3 hollowknights price worth of gaming?

Yes, especially if you didn't play the first one. If you played the first one, know this has the best 2d single player Mario campaign since SMW.