Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So is there no web interface to add course to a queue like in the old game with the bookmark site?

Also, how can I add courses from the single player story mode to course bot so I can play them in multiplayer with my daughter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Astro7x posted:

So is there no web interface to add course to a queue like in the old game with the bookmark site?

Also, how can I add courses from the single player story mode to course bot so I can play them in multiplayer with my daughter?

Not yet, and you can't download story levels. Best bet is to grab some lighter goon levels and play through those.

Also I think a streamer just found one of my levels as I suddenly got like 40+ hearts on a course I made and a ton of playthroughs :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Finished my Jam level for this week:

Switch Blocks By Starlight

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I thought I'd have a good chance with a cute simple level but just seeing the thumbnails alone has me thinking I should of done more :v: Oops.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Knocked out a level today.

Ice Cave in The Sky
RG4-DSX-2RF

It's snow themed level with a short night section for slippery action.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone know if Charvargh's placement matters at all aside from the initial fall? He always seems to act exactly the same regardless of where you place em.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

There's nothing here. Just you and the mountain I've designed
The Climb

(Why yes I did enjoy Celeste why do you ask?)

It's very pretty and atmospheric but I got frustrated because nothing came on the track and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't making it past the first jump.

- A review of someone who is bad at Mario.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not yet, and you can't download story levels. Best bet is to grab some lighter goon levels and play through those.

Also I think a streamer just found one of my levels as I suddenly got like 40+ hearts on a course I made and a ton of playthroughs :psyduck:

Check the percentage of likes to plays. If its above 36% then chances are youre in the popular level list and youre going to get a lot of traffic over the next couple of hours

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Quick question is there a way to update a level that has already been uploaded or am I going to have to upload the updated level again as a new level?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

It doesn't, please enter it in both forms.

I didn't actually quote you before, but could you update the code on both spreadsheets for my Ski Lift level?

Phantasium posted:

I finished my alterations to my Ski Slope stage and re-uploaded it

Ski Lift Shutdown
535-CFS-QDG

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jagged Jim posted:

Quick question is there a way to update a level that has already been uploaded or am I going to have to upload the updated level again as a new level?

Nope, you have to delete and re-upload. It kind of sucks!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Lobster posted:

It's very pretty and atmospheric but I got frustrated because nothing came on the track and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't making it past the first jump.

- A review of someone who is bad at Mario.

That's fair, I see some people decorate levels with tracks to act as rails or whatnot so that was all I was going for there :v:. If you just run and jump you make it every time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone know if Charvargh's placement matters at all aside from the initial fall? He always seems to act exactly the same regardless of where you place em.

It seems like as long as you've passed the screen horizontally where they're placed, they'll just activate and follow you automatically regardless of how you place them (and even maybe teleport a bit when they're not on screen to keep up with you?). Probably why they only allow 3 on a stage since they don't seem to despawn unless you go through a door or a pipe or something.

It also doesn't matter where you place them relative to the lava. I made the lava in my first stage go all the way to the top half of the screen and just built the level at that point so that I could place them all the way at the bottom and hide them spawning in from dropping.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Please friends, I implore you. No matter how hard or easy your course is, put a check point in the middle of it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Artix posted:

This one isn't for the contest but I just finished up so here it is all the same.

Don't look down!
5R9-0HC-QDG

Dr. Fetus posted a level earlier that took inspiration from Tropical Freeze's Bopopolis and I guess we're kind of on the same page because I went for a similar vibe. Lots of bouncing on enemies over bottomless pits, a few saws and blue platforms thrown in for good measure. There's a bonus area at the very end for a 30 coin and 1-up if you're so inclined.

This level rocked

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Overhauled a bunch of my stage today because inspiration struck. I'm about 75% of the way through the updated version and am REALLY excited about how it's coming together :) I've found some really neat uses for the snake blocks I hadn't seen before...

Hopefully should be able to put the finishing touches on tomorrow and get it uploaded!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

The Climb

A nice atmospheric course. Some of the jumps at the beginning felt a bit too tight, but I liked it overall.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm starting to realize I can't make levels interesting when they aren't moderately challenging.

How I add interest to my levels is always to just put in a tricky situation. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but most people suck at this game so it makes my levels inaccessible. If I try and make an intentionally easy one its either dull or I muck it up adding "a little bit of challenge".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm starting to realize I can't make levels interesting when they aren't moderately challenging.

How I add interest to my levels is always to just put in a tricky situation. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but most people suck at this game so it makes my levels inaccessible. If I try and make an intentionally easy one its either dull or I muck it up adding "a little bit of challenge".

Make the levels you find fun, don't worry about anyone else. There are plenty of people out there who want the challenge and I'm sure they'll be grateful, even if it doesn't get seen by the masses.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Tried to make a tank level a la world 8-1 from SMB3 and that didn’t really work so then I just made an airship stage with swinging claws.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146264881227870208

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's fair, I see some people decorate levels with tracks to act as rails or whatnot so that was all I was going for there :v:. If you just run and jump you make it every time.

Lol maybe you do!

- A person who is bad at Mario

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't worry about it. I can't make hard levels due to pre-established sucking at Mario. You make your style of levels and I'll make my style and it's just something for everyone. As long as you do your best, the relative quality of levels out there improves. I went on reddit and everything was poo poo. I play goon levels an 80% are amazing (if not more). gently caress Sturgeon's Law, he never saw our spreadsheet.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 3, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PantsBandit posted:

Make the levels you find fun, don't worry about anyone else. There are plenty of people out there who want the challenge and I'm sure they'll be grateful, even if it doesn't get seen by the masses.

But I need likes to feel validated about spending hours on this :saddowns:

Really, I'm always gonna make harder levels, but I think learning how to make an easy but interesting level is a valuable skill. I just don't really 'get it'. I've tried doing things that feel hard but aren't difficult to actually execute, but the problem with that is people will always gently caress it up in ways you never imagined. Then it becomes an actual, difficult obstacle in what's supposed to be an easy level.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Finished my Jam level for this week:

Switch Blocks By Starlight

First Clear! Good as hell too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

if it helps, when I streamed I mentioned your name and that i liked your levels and at least 2 people verified that your levels are indeed very good

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phantasium posted:

I didn't actually quote you before, but could you update the code on both spreadsheets for my Ski Lift level?

:argh: I knew I was forgetting something! I got it now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Lobster posted:

Lol maybe you do!

- A person who is bad at Mario
Don't worry about it! It's just something I'll have to keep in mind if/when I try something like this again.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Control Volume posted:

Check the percentage of likes to plays. If its above 36% then chances are youre in the popular level list and youre going to get a lot of traffic over the next couple of hours

My best like to play ratio is only about 20%. Any tips?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Climb

Definitely a breath of fresh air. Its challenging, but non threatening, kind of like celeste. so good job there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Playing some Random Acts of Mario:

Mr Thwomp's Wild Ride
K59-NXL-TSG
Riding thwomps to the goal. Hard but fun. Probably easier once you're used to the 3d world physics. The speedup in the second half threw me off, I'm not sure if there's a better way to telegraph that to the player. Maybe a really short ride on a thwomp with no obstacles to show you the speed first?

Ice Maker
Y3W-7JL-QWF
Short Kaizo with ice blocks. The first jump is by far the hardest part of the level - I cleared the rest of the course without dying once I made it past. The rest is pretty fun though, I'd have enjoyed more like that.

Castle Siege
9C6-29X-DLF
Shmup followed by short castle. I'm not a huge fan of shmups myself, but that's just personal preference. It did seem like most of the shmup area was kind of pointless though, there's a lot of space but not much reason not to just fly underneath everything. The bosses could use music but otherwise I thought the castle area was good.

Eviction Notice
YH9-R8W-GYG
Ghost house with squids. The biggest issue is that there's a couple spots where you have to break bricks to proceed, and it looks like you can softlock if you get hit before then. Granted there are normally mushrooms right before, but with the squids flying around you can't guarantee an area is safe, so I think it'd be better to avoid the mandatory block breaking altogether and limit those to optional rewards. You can also skip most of the level by jumping off the first coin block inside the house, not sure if that's intentional. Aside from that, the level looked good and was pretty fun to play through.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

eonwe posted:

if it helps, when I streamed I mentioned your name and that i liked your levels and at least 2 people verified that your levels are indeed very good

Yeah I'm surprised I have people that actually like my levels enough to recognize my name.

And really, likes don't matter at all since your upload limit isn't tied to it anymore. Mario Maker 1 wired me into fixating on them way too much since I was sharing my profile with my little brother and we had very limited level space due to that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm currently working on a good format for blitzes. Does everyone want to work on similar levels or should we all do different ones?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I'm currently working on a good format for blitzes. Does everyone want to work on similar levels or should we all do different ones?

I think it's cool to see people working on similar levels and see what they/we all do differently with it, personally. :shobon:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'm surprised I have people that actually like my levels enough to recognize my name.

And really, likes don't matter at all since your upload limit isn't tied to it anymore. Mario Maker 1 wired me into fixating on them way too much since I was sharing my profile with my little brother and we had very limited level space due to that.

Yeah, I'm still locked onto wanting more likes anyway though. And my levels have so many more likes and plays than they ever did on Wii U. Really striking example of how few people owned one. :smith:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Really, I'm always gonna make harder levels, but I think learning how to make an easy but interesting level is a valuable skill. I just don't really 'get it'. I've tried doing things that feel hard but aren't difficult to actually execute, but the problem with that is people will always gently caress it up in ways you never imagined. Then it becomes an actual, difficult obstacle in what's supposed to be an easy level.

Honestly, I'm jealous of your ability to vary your terrain and make everything feel organic. I can't wrap my head around that level of aesthetic design and always wind up with very square, flat and stale designs. I also have trouble making a level that feels like more than a mechanics showcase that transitions from set piece to set piece.

I know my opinion doesn't mean anything particularly, but I enjoyed your rotten mushroom level and I'm sure I remember enjoying your levels in the original as well. Keep doin' what you do.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Originally just had an idea of doing a space schmup style level like Gradius or R--Type and then got distracted building the space ship and putting in secret rooms with added lore. If you like to explore and find secrets there's plenty of that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want everyone to know that at 7000 maker points you get a giant piece of fried chicken to put on your head.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Am I alone in thinking there should be a lava speed between low and medium?

Low speed is hard to detect movement in and would only be threatening if you used it in a puzzle room, which would be annoying. Medium feels like it doesn't give enough time to register that poo poo is about to get real.

I'm using the low speed in a level to build some tension, but it doesn't seem all that effective.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
sucks that you have to have died to Boo a level in Endless

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NofrikinfuN posted:

Honestly, I'm jealous of your ability to vary your terrain and make everything feel organic. I can't wrap my head around that level of aesthetic design and always wind up with very square, flat and stale designs. I also have trouble making a level that feels like more than a mechanics showcase that transitions from set piece to set piece.

I know my opinion doesn't mean anything particularly, but I enjoyed your rotten mushroom level and I'm sure I remember enjoying your levels in the original as well. Keep doin' what you do.

Thanks. As an artist, personal anecdotes like this actually mean way more to me than tons of likes or whatever. I know from experience that a huge number of likes becomes numb after a long time, but someone personally commenting to say they enjoy the stuff you make never stops feeling good. That's why whenever I really enjoy a piece of art (or level in this case) I leave a comment.

Aesthetic design is actually something I do think I'm good at in this game (not that you have a ton to work with). Slopes are huge boon in that regard; they look soooooo much better than blocks when you're trying to make a hill, and generally a passage with curves will look more appealing than a plain old box. Thwey're bit clunky too use but once you get the hang of em you'll always wanna use em. Plus they're not just for looks since everyone loves sliding into stuff!

someone awful. posted:

I think it's cool to see people working on similar levels and see what they/we all do differently with it, personally. :shobon:

Yeah that's my favorite part of contests and such; seeing people's take on one idea or theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

Originally just had an idea of doing a space schmup style level like Gradius or R--Type and then got distracted building the space ship and putting in secret rooms with added lore. If you like to explore and find secrets there's plenty of that.

Really fun level. You did an excellent job building the space ships. That section with the clown car and putting on the shellmet as a kind of space suit I think was really fun