Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thanks for the help goons, first level is done!

Castle Smashers
YHH-G80-PWG

A standard castle level, but I'm pretty happy with it; there's a few goodies that aren't too hidden away and I think I judged the difficulty right.

Nice job. This is a traditional style level I think and it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm starting to realize I can't make levels interesting when they aren't moderately challenging.

How I add interest to my levels is always to just put in a tricky situation. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but most people suck at this game so it makes my levels inaccessible. If I try and make an intentionally easy one its either dull or I muck it up adding "a little bit of challenge".

I think its fine to have challenging levels, I played your skewering sand dunes level and was in a constant state of panic but never really felt frustrated because things moved so quickly. I think youre safely in the realm of "not as ballbusting as donkey kong country"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

There's nothing here. Just you and the mountain I've designed
The Climb

(Why yes I did enjoy Celeste why do you ask?)

also did you know a celeste dev is making MM2 levels?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144809965774704640

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

eonwe posted:

also did you know a celeste dev is making MM2 levels?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144809965774704640

I just found out a little while ago haha. I'll need to try his stuff out soon.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Lobster posted:

Fawf's level Two Goombas came up in the randomizer for me and I loved it so much that I had to play all the rest of their levels as well, which are great. Drop It Like It's Hot is very clever.

D'aww, thanks!

Finished my newest stage, it's one big homage to Bubble Bobble (and a touch of Puzzle Bobble)

Bubble Bobble Medley
FTG-56N-VRF

At first I was bummed to not have the Yoshi amiibo costume but the Powerball music wound up being a good approximation of the Bubble Bobble tune so I can't complain.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

But I need likes to feel validated about spending hours on this :saddowns:

Really, I'm always gonna make harder levels, but I think learning how to make an easy but interesting level is a valuable skill. I just don't really 'get it'. I've tried doing things that feel hard but aren't difficult to actually execute, but the problem with that is people will always gently caress it up in ways you never imagined. Then it becomes an actual, difficult obstacle in what's supposed to be an easy level.

I'd say part of it is to not worry about making things feel hard. Even if you place enemies somewhere they pose no threat to the player, a sizeable portion of players will still charge right in to attack, mess up a jump, and get themselves killed. All because they saw an enemy and couldn't not immediately try to jump on it.

Looking the death markers on Mushroom Terrace, which I deliberately built to be easy, has really driven that point home for me. Even decorative enemies that were placed to be virtually harmless have claimed their fair share of Marios, and the smallest and most trivial of pits seem to kill the most people. Meanwhile, hardly anyone dies at what was intended to be the most challenging enemy group in the level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Two Beans posted:

Something Awful
MD2-HB6-B3G

It tells it like it is!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fawf posted:

D'aww, thanks!

Finished my newest stage, it's one big homage to Bubble Bobble (and a touch of Puzzle Bobble)

Bubble Bobble Medley
FTG-56N-VRF

At first I was bummed to not have the Yoshi amiibo costume but the Powerball music wound up being a good approximation of the Bubble Bobble tune so I can't complain.

That boss fight was really imaginative, nice job

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, there are a lot of devs who have maker IDs apparently

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker...tm_medium=web2x

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Really excited to start running through goon levels, I need a reprieve from Endless.

And I finally got to sit down and get my first level out:

Stormy Skyway
HBL-W2F-C2H

I was craving an old-fashioned, no frills platforming course, so I tried my best to make one. It's a basic autoscroller, with some pink coins to grab for an extra challenge.

Any feedback would be appreciated; I have a tendency to make things way too easy to prevent frustrating people, and I'm worried about it coming out boring.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Random Stranger posted:

And now for something completely stupid:

Arcade Antics
32F-RCJ-DLF

The Space Invaders segment destroyed my ability to do anything else in the level. And the Tron light cycles are crappy because snakes don't interact well and the green snake moves at one quarter the speed of the blue snake; maybe I should have done Qix with them. It's super easy to cheese the skee-ball but I could not come up with a reasonable way to prevent it. Basically, this is six very silly themed ideas put in one level because I was playing around.

A few minor criticisms:

1. I got stuck on the claw machine for a needlessly long time because the red claw path goes off the top of the screen at a junction point, and it doesn't even look like it's there. I solved this room for the first time by accident.

2. I really wasn't clear on what the objective in the Space Invaders room was and played it about as badly as I could, killing every enemy and breaking every breakable block looking for a key or something. If you do this, there is a part of the sequence where there is too much empty space for you to be able to reach the pipe.

3. The time limit really doesn't give you enough time to bumble around and figure stuff out. It should be at least 400.

4. The Pac-Man room was great, but I feel the on/off switch gimmick maybe wasn't the best fit for it, and having to go around the maze collecting red coins would've felt more Pac-Man-like.

Aside from that, this was really creative and fun, and the Pac-Man and pinball rooms were my favorite parts. I actually made a somewhat similar pinball room in one of my Mario Maker 1 levels, but I think you executed the idea better. It's a little thing, but I really liked the use of the fast skull platform for the ball launcher.

Fawf posted:

Bubble Bobble Medley
FTG-56N-VRF

I loved this—maybe needlessly generous with the powerups, but if you set out to make an easy level, that's understandable, plus I guess it wouldn't feel like Bubble Bobble if you were stomping enemies. The Puzzle Bobble miniboss was really clever. If you'd made it so that in the Level 12 room enemies would get stuck in those side pockets and you'd have to risk taking a hit to kill them, I'd have laughed my rear end off, even if that wouldn't be good level design.

The Lobster posted:

Anyway, here is Pirate's Cove, my take on the pirate ship coin collecting thing someone else was mentioning the other day also wanting to do. I bet theirs comes out better!

HQ6-LGH-18G

Worth noting somebody commented a middle finger on it already. Thanks, pubbies!

Good objective-based easy level, and I liked your underwater scenery. If you try to walljump up the right wall at the beginning of the stage, you hit a boss music trigger, which I assume was left there by mistake.

Dangerous Minority posted:

Really excited to start running through goon levels, I need a reprieve from Endless.

And I finally got to sit down and get my first level out:

Stormy Skyway
HBL-W2F-C2H

I was craving an old-fashioned, no frills platforming course, so I tried my best to make one. It's a basic autoscroller, with some pink coins to grab for an extra challenge.

Any feedback would be appreciated; I have a tendency to make things way too easy to prevent frustrating people, and I'm worried about it coming out boring.

It's not too easy, and it's definitely not boring. Good call on not making it harder, or longer, though, as an autoscroller with mandatory red coin collection has the potential to be really frustrating. Your coin pathing was generally good, and I didn't have any trouble finding the red coins, but I spotted a few secrets I didn't dare attempt to check out.

The one spot in the level I really dislike is around the third red coin. It's not just that the timing is really tight on getting both the 1-Up and the coin, but that the 1-Up is before it, more obvious, and right before where you have to jump back to the left before the screen scrolls too far for you to get up to the coin. I feel like in these risk/reward situations where you're going for two things but only one is necessary, the necessary one should be easier to get.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 3, 2019

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator
I made my first serious attempt at a level. It's designed like old Mega Man games where you need to complete a challenge in 5 different rooms before moving on to the final boss. It's not easy, but there are plenty of power ups to get you through it. I hope at least a few of you can find it enjoyable.

197-BM1-DGG

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Status update on this: currently at an impressive 7% winrate.

I’m starting to wonder if most people are just Bad at Mario.

Beat this in one try, then went back and tried running without power-ups because I noticed some questionable design decisions, and had a miserable time.

- The first level section could be cut in half without losing much. The beginning enemy spam and the dry bones in a question block are huge red flags and most people will instinctively write off the level when they see this.
- The parachuting dry bones section is by far the most difficult section in the level. It feels like a power-up tax, and if you dont have a power-up you either die or you wait on the platform and cycle back to the area when they all landed.
- In the subworld, if you jump on the edge of the platform to the 10-coin dry bones, youll overshoot and wont be able to correct by holding left. This is more of a problem if people are speedrunning to get back to where they died.
- The roof spinies demand a lot of attention for something thats a nonfactor in all but two sections. The movement distracted my attention to the periphery even when I knew I didnt have to worry
- The double seesaw section (with the big dry bones in between) has a timing where you can jump from the first platform before the dry bones on the second platform starts tilting it, meaning that the second platform only starts moving after the jump and makes you miss. You need a way to force the player to slow down here.
- Depending on how things play out for the last subworld section bit, you could potentially put yourself in a situation where you have a very tight window to dodge a roof spiny when a dry bones is respawning.
- The level seems torn on whether it wants to be a track level or a seesaw level. The tilt of the seesaws doesnt matter for a majority of them, and I feel like there were some wasted opportunities where you could have used a seesaw instead of a standard track platform (particularly the part with the dry bones on tracks. They could have used the tilt to avoid the enemies altogether!)

Its really not a bad level but the inconsistent stuff is enough to throw me off, and I found myself playing worse as I got frustrated from dying and tried to speed back through areas Ive already played. Highly recommend playing through your levels without powerups and speedrunning them, because I think that would have caught most of the major issues.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tnega posted:

Gruesome Grave: 4MP-12L-8VF
Did it first try, was I supposed to get in front of the spineyfriend?

Thanks for the review! I'm way behind on this thread and game.

I thought of this level as an adaptation of "The Cask of Amontillado" in which it is undetermined until the end which character is played by Mario and which by the Spiny.

In an earlier revision of the level, getting in front was the only way to win: whoever is in back would be trapped behind the bricks and fall off the back of the autoscroll. However, serendipity ensured that the placement was just slightly off, so being in the back is not fatal, with the result that the player just gets a terrifying fakeout if they stay in back. I never could quite figure out how to telegraph the need to get in front, and it'd be lame to make the player redo an autoscroller of this length for failing to read my mind, so I like it better this way even if it's not much of a challenge.

Maybe I'll make a multiplayer version of the same concept.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Is there an object that can be kicked like a koopa shell and can be placed in a pipe so it respawns indefinitely, but also isn't some weird powerup (e.g. buzzy beetle shells)?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Got around to playing some more Goon levels;

Luigis Revenge-er: Usually don't like negative reviews but this was just miserable. Intentional dick move levels need some really clever theming to make the player put up with bullshit. This had none.

Going Down The Big Tree: i really liked this one! The level design played into the theme and transitioned into different sections very nicely.

Cave Adventure: I liked this one because was basically just one big slope. i like to slide. Its fun.

Castle Siege: I enjoyed being able to actually take the fireclown car through an air stage without it being an autoscroller. Mostly fine, but it felt a bit spammy at times. The second part of the level feels very anticlimactic compared to the first though, and the boss fights are very uninspired in that regard.

Question: Would it be possible to add a "Critique Me" tag to the goon spreedsheet? I'm hesitant to say stuff about some levels since I have no idea if the people that made them want people to pick apart their designs.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For those of you that want to make autoscroller stages, here's an interesting interaction to be aware of. The scroll stop feature works with autoscroll. And if the wall somehow gets destroyed, the autoscroll will resume.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone play this yet?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Race Through the Underground
P9Q-NF0-YRF

I decided to try to make a speedrunning level. It's probably not difficult for Super Expert players but this is about as high as my old man reflexes are going to get.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
:siren: :siren: :siren: ALL ABOARD THE ROCKY BALBOA EXPRESS! :siren: :siren: :siren:

The first section of my first serious Kaizo level is now complete!

This level is designed to teach some of the lesser-known basic fundamental movements in the 3D World style. Even if it is out of your league, I suggest you give the first 10 seconds or so a shot to learn some new moves, or at least watch the clear video. A second section (and maybe a 3rd if I feel like torturing myself) will be added at a later time; some of it is already in the level technically but is inaccessible. Even the first part of this was a little bit troublesome to upload, so I don't know when I will add the rest.

Here is the level code: YWP-0CK-70G

Here is a clear video/walkthrough: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/447646693
I left a note to the sheet mod to replace the first upload with this level, maybe add the clear video link in the hashtag field afterward? Sorry to be bothersome.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I want to make a DKC mine cart type level, what would be my best bet? The blue platform with wings, on a track?

Also a bummer that the 3D World setting doesn't seem to have tracks?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For 3d world the best mine cart emulation would probably be the actual car

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Just finished my second course. A simple SM3DW classic type level with tons of secrets. I think it's a decent improvement over my first level.

Desert Fortress: WBP-894-LSG

Long jumps and rolls are your friends.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

A few minor criticisms:

1. I got stuck on the claw machine for a needlessly long time because the red claw path goes off the top of the screen at a junction point, and it doesn't even look like it's there. I solved this room for the first time by accident.

2. I really wasn't clear on what the objective in the Space Invaders room was and played it about as badly as I could, killing every enemy and breaking every breakable block looking for a key or something. If you do this, there is a part of the sequence where there is too much empty space for you to be able to reach the pipe.

3. The time limit really doesn't give you enough time to bumble around and figure stuff out. It should be at least 400.

4. The Pac-Man room was great, but I feel the on/off switch gimmick maybe wasn't the best fit for it, and having to go around the maze collecting red coins would've felt more Pac-Man-like.

Aside from that, this was really creative and fun, and the Pac-Man and pinball rooms were my favorite parts. I actually made a somewhat similar pinball room in one of my Mario Maker 1 levels, but I think you executed the idea better. It's a little thing, but I really liked the use of the fast skull platform for the ball launcher.

Hey thanks!

1. The junction is barely visible at the top of the screen and it was a space issue. I looked at it and thought, "Okay, people playing with the switch will see it go off the end so it should be fine." But yeah, it definitely could be signaled better.

2. I did make sure an indestructible path would always be available, but if you destroy everything it can be pretty tricky to do. I also had to get rid of some springs that would come around in the "reset" period because that room made me reach the item limit and that would make things better.

3. You're definitely correct there. I want people to play a round and I should have given them the full 500.

4. I see what you're saying, but at the same time I liked the idea of it being a "key" stage which was an actual board in classic Pac-Man. You're probably right that it would fit the theme better.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Got around to playing some more Goon levels;

Luigis Revenge-er: Usually don't like negative reviews but this was just miserable. Intentional dick move levels need some really clever theming to make the player put up with bullshit. This had none.

This was a sequel to Saw 2000: Luigis Revenge and provides the narrative of Luigi getting slightly better at killing Mario, but not much better as his traps are pretty obvious and easy to avoid until the very last one.

Thanks for playing though :D

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
An actual baby drew me a picture, so I'll post their level here (not Goon obviously) 97J-NP3-GKF Its not good, but you get to fight pom pom and boom boom as Cat Mario, so it's something at least. Now onward to #100!
1-3 Thwomp Tromp MKQ-LMV-W8G MQK-LMW-W8G Spreadsheet is wrong, was able to find from maker page.
Good Stuff, had a bit of negative possibility space I marked with a comment. You took a simple concept and rolled Thwomped with it.
1-4 Freezy & Breezy CXS-P0T-BRF
Correct introduction to icicles, the jump above the first whirlwind I would rather not hit my head with. (Personal Preference) Satisfying to play.
Eviction Notice YH9-R8W-GYG
Potential softlocks at the mushrooms, in the unlikely event the player gets hit, they wont be able to break the blocks. The weeezard actually gave me a giant mushroom, which didn't play well with the upcoming spikes. softlock if you exit the pipe without killing the wizard. And as tje comment said, miss the elevator, you wait. Great level though.
Super Mario Starfield! WBC-7YT-6VG
Wasn't a fan of all the spike traps pretending to be stars, but you gave powerups and a checkpoint, so, fair's fair. Level is fine.
Lukas vs Rosa 3DX-4TH-DQG
This level is an interesting concept, unfortunatly, Meowser's hitbox doesn't quite match up with his model. With only "one" chance to beat it, it forces you to play very conservativly, which means basically waiting for Mewoser to climb the side of the arena, where, due to his hitbox you end up "almost" touching him, then you get a hit and run. One way to improve it would be to add a koopa car or two, so you can get some "free" early damage in before you have to start swiping. Sadly, I cannot recommend this level as is, unless the player likes Kaizo challenges.
Pirahna Forest 7QQ-YGB-PGF
Used the comments to point out a softlock I wasn't the only person get get trapped in. Secret Yoshi was nice.
Treetop Tryout HG2-034-2KF
Between the goal and the checkpoint there's a tree with a powerup on a butte (more like a Hoodoo, really) that if you handstand jump off of you don't quite make it to the next platform, even though it looks like you should be able to, due to it being lower. Plenty of secrets and a checkpoint, good stuff. Ironically, a large influx of BEES can fix it (Just put one down there, its fine, probababee.)
Deep into the Frostwoods HX5-JBH-RPF
You can skip most part of the level with the sacrifice Assistance of T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas, Not much to say really, you did about all out can do with Icicles (without going weird and using them to activate switches and things)
There and back again TMQ-XDK-4XF
I recommend every Goon play this level, It is the perfect example of "Your level isn't as easy as you think it is." Other than that, level is bad, enemies in boxes, jumps that you only make half the time despite doing them the same way, almost required to do the level "perfect". You would think its above average if it came up in a super expert run, but that just means you are the most attractive horse in the glue factory.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 3, 2019

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Tried to make a standard-ish underground SMB1 level with a few tricky platforming bits.

Part III is the weakest part I think. It has three parts and is generously checkpointed. Also not too long.

Fire bars, seesaws and beetles
HNW-7C7-QFF

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

:argh: I knew I was forgetting something! I got it now.

Thanks!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'm surprised I have people that actually like my levels enough to recognize my name.

I don't remember what levels you did exactly but I remember noticing them in the first game, it has been 4 years tho...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A thing I've noticed about difficulty as a creator and a player is that any individual enemy is dangerous because somebody who wants a World Record clear of the course is going to dash through it full speed as Small Mario where possible. Doing a leap of faith from screen to screen at full speed makes Goombas and hopping Koopa Troopas into fair chances at a death. One of my easier maps has two scalps claimed by a single Monty Mole.

Also kids playing the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've built a Mouse Gym

WXN-K2P-FLF

It features constant squeaking.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a dumb Thwomp chase thing before work. I think it's pretty fun but I kinda wish I could make the music stay for the entire last portion of the level :(

F9Q-MYS-HTF

I'd appreciate feedback

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Anyone play this yet?

I have now. First clear, 12 minutes 50 seconds.

In the second room, if the player doesn't catch on to the invisible block trick right away and instead goes up the semi solid platforms, they can't get back down. Seems unnecessarily mean. Why force a reset, just let me go back down!
The green pipe puzzle took me a minute to get. I was trying to grab the p-switch at first before it clicked. Nice work here.
In the bomb room, maybe put two-way blocks in front of the return pipe so you know if it's in the correct position before you try to leave and add an on/off switch at the pipe. The puzzle has you end with them in a position that causes you to get blocked when you try to leave.
Ran out of time three pipes in. For some reason my coins didn't save and I had to do everything over. Possibly something to do with how you've implemented the check points? Really loving annoying.
Fourth pipe feels a little dissonant from the others. It's fun but everything else is a puzzle.

Overall I thought you had some well designed puzzles but the timeout thing with the missing coins really soured my mood. I don't know how you can fix that though.

Asema posted:

I made a dumb Thwomp chase thing before work. I think it's pretty fun but I kinda wish I could make the music stay for the entire last portion of the level :(

F9Q-MYS-HTF

I'd appreciate feedback

I don't have much feedback to give other than it was fun. If you want the music to stay on for the last but just put the effect on each of the thwomps. It will keep playing as long as a thwomp is on screen.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 3, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's weird, everytime I tested, the coins were saved by the checkpoints, only if you got the key and checkpointed would it be gone. Maybe is different on time out? Weird.

For the Bob omb room I think I know why that happened, originally the switch blocks were in a different place and when I moved them around to make the puzzle easier I had to reverse them, so the "natural" position of the switch blocks when exiting got reversed.

The soft lock in room 2 with the invisible block I did not realize was possible, having trouble visualizing it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That's weird, everytime I tested, the coins were saved by the checkpoints, only if you got the key and checkpointed would it be gone. Maybe is different on time out? Weird.

For the Bob omb room I think I know why that happened, originally the switch blocks were in a different place and when I moved them around to make the puzzle easier I had to reverse them, so the "natural" position of the switch blocks when exiting got reversed.

The soft lock in room 2 with the invisible block I did not realize was possible, having trouble visualizing it.

Actually, the timeout was probably the problem. I hadn't gone into the fourth pipe for the extra checkpoint yet so I probably just lost everything.

As for the thing in the second room, this is what I meant:

I tried to pull to the left while dropping down but no luck there.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Anyone play this yet?

I didn’t get a lot of time with it due to an internet outage. In the first room with the sun you can get stuck behind the one way gate, it needs an extra block of headroom cleared. Also in that room if you fail the puzzle by having the bomb blow up the sun it knocks down the coin under it’s reset position which causes it to drop down for free when you renter the room.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Made what should be a simple moving platform sky level, experimenting with Buzzy Beetles, ability to carry things on their backs while flying. It's called Buzzy Buddies: WGH-G8K-XDF

I have no idea how to gauge the difficulty or, uhh, not-boringness of my own levels :shobon:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely looking for feedback on this level. It's another project that's taken me a long while to piece together and I think I'm at a place where I'm mostly happy with it.

The challenge? It was to make a level that was fun that featured no enemies. There's only one hazard that can damage you and there are even safety nets littered around if you mess up. There are some cuts you can take which turned it into a pretty tight speedrun course as well if you ask me :shobon:

There's nothing here. Just you and the mountain I've designed
The Climb

(Why yes I did enjoy Celeste why do you ask?)

this level is real good and pretty imo, also someone please beat my WR on it so I have a thing to do for today

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

J-Spot posted:

Actually, the timeout was probably the problem. I hadn't gone into the fourth pipe for the extra checkpoint yet so I probably just lost everything.

As for the thing in the second room, this is what I meant:

I tried to pull to the left while dropping down but no luck there.

Ah I see. I need to make that semisolid one skinnier

DalaranJ posted:

I didn’t get a lot of time with it due to an internet outage. In the first room with the sun you can get stuck behind the one way gate, it needs an extra block of headroom cleared. Also in that room if you fail the puzzle by having the bomb blow up the sun it knocks down the coin under it’s reset position which causes it to drop down for free when you renter the room.

The bomb drops down for free on reset in this scenario? That's ok with me, I'd just consider it an alternate solution as long as it doesn't soft lock you.

For the time out before you reach the next checkpoint problem, I'll swap the third and fourth pipes.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Castor Poe posted:

Just finished my second course. A simple SM3DW classic type level with tons of secrets. I think it's a decent improvement over my first level.

Desert Fortress: WBP-894-LSG

Long jumps and rolls are your friends.

I beat it without using either long jumps or rolls :downs:

Great level though. I really hate the two flames directly after the checkpoint. I've never felt stupider than losing a mushroom to that like.. 4 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Random level review:

Hot Tootsies

9Y3-B0Q-QGF

I like the level's idea and design. But I am probably the worst ever at correctly throwing a pow at two munchers to kill both. This is at least the third level that has made me come to terms with this.

Didn't beat, but I think I'll come back to this one.