Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kaine was brought back to life via mystic spider shenanigans, which also cured his degeneration. He's still a clone but he has the mystical Other powers (last time I checked) and basically usurped Peter's place in the schemes of the mystic web, meaning Peter doesn't have to worry about that poo poo.

No idea about Ben, but I think he's immortal now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Kaine was brought back to life via mystic spider shenanigans, which also cured his degeneration. He's still a clone but he has the mystical Other powers (last time I checked) and basically usurped Peter's place in the schemes of the mystic web, meaning Peter doesn't have to worry about that poo poo.

Ash to ash, dust to dust, but sometimes dust back into Spider-Man

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't the clone saga start in the 70s with some half forgotten Jackal story? I am only being half factitious here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

In all seriousness, there's an argument that the clone saga goes on until this very day. Ben Reilly is still running around in Vegas as far as I know.

Didn't Kaine die fairly recently?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Kaine's not the Other anymore*, and he's not actively degenerating, but he looks like some sort of Peter Parker/Deadpool hybrid because his body is still all hosed up. Ben's mortal, he just can't seem to stay dead. In the Spider-Geddon story he and Doc Ock actually formed a battle plan based around him being revived so many times that them eating his soul would make the literal soul-sucking vampires sick. And then immediately cloned him again. So he's out there.

*I just rechecked, the Other is now Peter Parker from MC2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did Kaine get degeneration again? He was cured of it as of his own series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Didn't the clone saga start in the 70s with some half forgotten Jackal story? I am only being half factitious here.

Kind of. There was a storyline leading up Spider-Man 150 in which an older guy with a creepy crush on Gwen Stacy was going to take revenge on Peter and unfortunately he happened to know how to clone things. So he made a Gwen clone which shook things up and then a Peter clone which had the obligatory fight with the original. During the fight there was an explosion and afterward only one Spider-Man was standing. That Spider-Man disposed of the body by throwing it down a smokestack and after soul searching realized he had to be the original.

Then the 90's happened.

During the clone saga, FWIW, the smokestack was demolished and a skeleton wearing a tattered Spider-Man uniform was found in the rubble. This was Norman Osborn being a dick for no good reason using yet another clone (a skele-clone?) to confusing the readers Peter.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
That was one of the big problems of the Clone Saga - stuff like the smokestack skeleton, where writers would throw in new twists just for the hell of it with no idea themselves as to what any of it would mean.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
How exactly did Squirrel Girl beat up Thanos anyway? No one ever explains that part when they bring it up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

How exactly did Squirrel Girl beat up Thanos anyway? No one ever explains that part when they bring it up.
With the power of happening off-panel!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Did Kaine get degeneration again? He was cured of it as of his own series.

He died in Spider-Verse, then came back with degeneration because I guess the Other power was holding him together or something, but then was cured again in Slott's Clone Conspiracy thing. But being cured didn't like, reverse the damage that was there. So now he looks like poo poo but he's not like, a zombie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Does he have the beard back or no?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No. Most recent picture I could find, from that Ben Reilly series a while back

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah well there we go. Slott comics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If that fight happened today, Nancy would talk Thanos down through their shared love of crafting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

They don't show it so as to not make all other heroes who've fought Thanos look like chumps

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Random Stranger posted:

Kind of. There was a storyline leading up Spider-Man 150 in which an older guy with a creepy crush on Gwen Stacy was going to take revenge on Peter and unfortunately he happened to know how to clone things. So he made a Gwen clone which shook things up and then a Peter clone which had the obligatory fight with the original. During the fight there was an explosion and afterward only one Spider-Man was standing. That Spider-Man disposed of the body by throwing it down a smokestack and after soul searching realized he had to be the original.

I note here that Peter decided he must be the original because he was horny for Mary Jane, which the clone wouldn't have been, since his DNA was taken when he was still dating Gwen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He also decided he was the real one because he had the inner strength to fight a robot immediately afterwards.

Yes what's that, all the clone BS overlaps with the bajillion Spider Slayers BS.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Clones were so much simpler then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I note here that Peter decided he must be the original because he was horny for Mary Jane, which the clone wouldn't have been, since his DNA was taken when he was still dating Gwen.

Interestingly Jessica Drew of the Ultimates universe who is also a clone of Peter was horny for both redheads and Jewish girls.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

No. Most recent picture I could find, from that Ben Reilly series a while back

If they're clones, why is one taller than the other? Is he wearing lifts?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

With all the spider-verse comics that have been made, did anyone sneak in a cameo by the 3 Dev Adam evil eyebrows Spider-man?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

With all the spider-verse comics that have been made, did anyone sneak in a cameo by the 3 Dev Adam evil eyebrows Spider-man?

He's in like in one panel of one of the issues of Spider-Verse.

EDIT: Here it is.

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 8, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aw, you can't see the eyebrows. Still, good enough I suppose.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is John Byrne considered good outside SA? I just got read the riot act on FB for saying that he's an angry old man who gets upset about stories he doesn't like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beerdeer posted:

Is John Byrne considered good outside SA? I just got read the riot act on FB for saying that he's an angry old man who gets upset about stories he doesn't like.

Some people consider his works to be up there with Kirby.

So tell that person to get hosed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anyone still on board the John Byrne train has gotta be in their 40s or older by now. Or getting their opinions from someone who is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone still on board the John Byrne train has gotta be in their 40s or older by now. Or getting their opinions from someone who is.

Bro, I'm 40. Byrne's been irrelevant since I was in my late 20's. Anyone still on his cock has to be in their 60's at this point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Bro, I'm 40. Byrne's been irrelevant since I was in my late 20's. Anyone still on his cock has to be in their 60's at this point.

Has he done anything really of note since - and this is arguable - Wonder Woman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Has he done anything really of note since - and this is arguable - Wonder Woman?

Well that was only of note because he made an even bigger mess out of Donna Troy. He's either raging on his message boards or making GBS threads out redrawn covers from his past career.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Beerdeer posted:

His early work (let's go pre-Namor/AWC) is drat good, but your assessment of his character is spot-on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Beerdeer posted:

I think people tend to talk about his work on XMen, FF and Superman and then stop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think people tend to talk about his work on XMen, FF and Superman and then stop.

Pretty much. I only threw in his Wonder Woman run because it was at the time high profile, but now it's dollar bin material. Nobody's going to come at you saying how good X-Men: The Hidden Years was, and if they did you are not obligated to listen to them with a straight face.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You're forgetting his seminal work on Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
After Wonder Woman, his projects have been:

1999-2001: Marvel re-return
Spider-Man: Chapter One
A run on both Spider-Man with Howard Mackie

A very short run on Hulk with Ron Garney
A Spider-Woman series (but not any of the Spider-Women you are thinking of!)
Marvel: The Lost Generation
X-Men: The Hidden Years
[Byrne rage-quits the Quesada/Jemas Marvel]

2001-2006: DC Re-Return
Lab Rats
Superman/Batman: Generations I-III
Superman: True Brit
The Doom Patrol revamp/reboot no one liked
That JLA arc scripted by Claremont with them fighting CRUCIFER
Blood of the Demon
Like ten issues of Action Comics with Gail Simone
[Byrne rage-quits DC too]

2007-Present: Some stuff for IDW I guess
-A hasty ending to Next Men
-Some Angel (of Buffy fame) mini-series where Angel fights in World War I and against Frankenstein's Monster
-Trio, a mini-series that definitely isn't about a bootleg Fantastic Four
-Triple Helix, a mini-series that definitely isn't about a bootleg X-Men
-Cold War, a mini-series that definitely isn't a bootleg James Bond/Nick Fury
-Trio and Triple Helix, two creator-owned superhero minis
-F/X, somehow not a movie adaptation but basically What if Mysterio Was a Good Guy
-The High Ways, basically the space trucker stuff he did in She-Hulk spun out into its own mini-series
-A Jurassic Park mini-series about an old timey sherrif in the west having to fight raptors a'eatin' his cattle
-A ton of weird mostly fumetti Star Trek stuff

I personally haven't read the vast majority of it but I've literally never heard anyone say something nice about any of these projects aside from the first Generations mini-series and I know people that exist that thought The Hidden Years was good. I kind of want to look at some of it out of morbid curiosity now.

Right around the time of West Coast Avengers/Namor Byrne got obsessed with 'restoring' everything to its proper glory in a way that made no sense at all. The best example of this was how his WCA run started off with him wanting to bring the Vision "back to basics" in a way that meant putting him back to the way Roy Thomas and John Buscema imagined him in Avengers #57, and making sure to negate all of the bullshit that has been done to the character ever since, including assholes like Roy Thomas and John Buscema, who started screwing up the character in the back half of Avengers #57. It was the rough equivalent of wanting to take Spider-Man back to his roots as a character everyone knows and loves, namely an egotistical prick wrestler with a living uncle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I personally haven't read the vast majority of it but I've literally never heard anyone say something nice about any of these projects aside from the first Generations mini-series and I know people that exist that thought The Hidden Years was good. I kind of want to look at some of it out of morbid curiosity now.

I hope you like that time the X-Men were in the Savage Land. No, like, a lot.

quote:

Right around the time of West Coast Avengers/Namor Byrne got obsessed with 'restoring' everything to its proper glory in a way that made no sense at all. The best example of this was how his WCA run started off with him wanting to bring the Vision "back to basics" in a way that meant putting him back to the way Roy Thomas and John Buscema imagined him in Avengers #57, and making sure to negate all of the bullshit that has been done to the character ever since, including assholes like Roy Thomas and John Buscema, who started screwing up the character in the back half of Avengers #57. It was the rough equivalent of wanting to take Spider-Man back to his roots as a character everyone knows and loves, namely an egotistical prick wrestler with a living uncle.

Bryrne also brought back the original Human Torch, which precisely nobody was clamoring for at the time. Or ever, really.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Bryrne also brought back the original Human Torch, which precisely nobody was clamoring for at the time. Or ever, really.
See, at least that was a decades-old beef with Steve Englehart and Byrne did that to "fix" a story he vocally hated that Englehart had written. It's petty and dumb but I understand it. All of the stuff where he rolled back or negated or hosed up characters and concepts introduced by people he claims to love in books he claims to love is the more confusing thing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Picked up Lois Lane #1. Haven't read any DC in forever. Are we supposed to know what this refers to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lab Rats is bad but the ending of killing them all is hilarious