Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’d rather know someone’s Harry Potter house than Myers-Briggs type

E: full disclosure I have a tattoo of the white tree of Gondor so that’s where I stand on fantasies

full disclosure I took the really long "official" harry potter test and applied to join the private Gryffindor subreddit because of it and posted there a bunch

doverhog posted:

How about classics, like Lord of the Rings? It at least is far enough removed that you don't have to read what the author says on twitter.

I've had that on my kindle since...basically since kindles were released and I got my first one and have still never read it. It does have plenty of stuff to discuss, but I feel like with how long its been out all the discussions have been done to death. At least with the dark tower some stuff is still kind of up in the air, like whether dandelo=pennywise (I know King says they are probably the same species, but there are still connections stronger than that) and whether he's a todash monster or not, and why Insomnia of all things was referred to as the "keystone book" or whatever the tet corporation people call it. I've read opinions on all of them but the conclusion is always "unclear" or "who gives a poo poo".

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I think I'd wanna be a Ravenclaw but probably would actually be a Slytherin instead. That's bad right?

I've read the first 4 books of the Dark Tower like 6 times, and the books following that once. I felt like he didn't know how to continue, and then forced himself to do it after his accident, and it showed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I think I'd wanna be a Ravenclaw but probably would actually be a Slytherin instead. That's bad right?

I've read the first 4 books of the Dark Tower like 6 times, and the books following that once. I felt like he didn't know how to continue, and then forced himself to do it after his accident, and it showed.

I mean, it's a fair criticism, but they still have good bits in them. Yes, even the book with the harry potter snitches and lightsaber carrying dr dooms on robot horses.

e: also slytherin isn't inherently bad even though that is clearly how they are portrayed. It just means you are ambitious/cunning etc.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Jul 2, 2019

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I didn't hate them but it just didn't feel the same.

So you've never read Lord of the Rings? I envy you, since you can do it for the first time. Of course, your perception of it will be heavily affected by all the stuff that followed and was influenced, like Dark Tower and Harry Potter.

It really is nothing like a modern novel, and Tolkien wasn't a professional writer when he wrote it. It's also heavily based on a Catholic world view, so God is real and everything really is following his plan. Gandal and Sauron are both angels. There is a lot of stuff like that you can get into if you want.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I saw the movies, but yeah, never read them. I think I read the first couple chapters like 10+ years ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There is nothing about LotR that has anything to do with Harry Potter in any way. Don't know about Dark Tower, but I doubt that's relevant either.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

There is nothing about LotR that has anything to do with Harry Potter in any way. Don't know about Dark Tower, but I doubt that's relevant either.

King said it was one of his influences, but I feel like artists can say they were influenced by basically anything even if it's not detectable. I'm certainly not qualified to say how much DT was influenced by LOTR, aside from I guess the main theme of "hero goes on a long journey transporting something somewhere to save the world".

e: although roland's intention was never really to save the world, he mostly just wanted to see what was in the tower and the world was saved along the way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I mean, it's a fair criticism, but they still have good bits in them. Yes, even the book with the harry potter snitches and lightsaber carrying dr dooms on robot horses.

e: also slytherin isn't inherently bad even though that is clearly how they are portrayed. It just means you are ambitious/cunning etc.

Slytherin is Bad Guy House (that once had a "good" guy who was merely a self-absorbed poo poo)
Gryffindor is Good Guy House (that once had a bad guy)
Ravenclaw is almost entirely theoretical until the last few books when the author realized she hadn't introduced any characters.
Hufflepuff is where all the extras go, except for the time they attempted to produce a protagonist that was summarily executed for his audacity.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Slytherin is Bad Guy House (that once had a "good" guy who was merely a self-absorbed poo poo)
Ravenclaw is almost entirely theoretical until the last few books when the author realized she hadn't introduced any characters.
Hufflepuff is where all the extras go, except for the time they attempted to produce a protagonist that was summarily executed for his audacity.

On a practical level, sure. I just meant if you take what the stupid hat says at face value rather than the "reality" of the novels.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Would you call Voldemort a Dark Lord? How about the Crimson King? That's like saying Satan has nothing to do with Melkor, or Sauron.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

On a practical level, sure. I just meant if you take what the stupid hat says at face value rather than the "reality" of the novels.

Honestly that's something that bugs me in media: when the narrative goes out of its way to assure the audience that something isn't as simple as that, and then it turns out that yes it absolutely is. Another example that comes to mind is Jade Empire's morality meter when they give the whole spiel about how Open Palm isn't necessarily good (teaches people to be complacent and expect others to solve their problems for them) and Closed Fist isn't always bad (teaches people to stand up and believe in themselves and find their own strength) and then for the rest of the game it literally is just a good/bad dichotomy.

It would bother me less if they were just presented that way from the start instead of setting up a different expectation and not bothering to see it through.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Would you call Voldemort a Dark Lord? How about the Crimson King? That's like saying Satan has nothing to do with Melkor, or Sauron.

I wish book 5 and/or 6 had the Crimson King being...literally anything except what he was in the last one. He is built up across multiple novels, not just the DT, but he ends up being just a dude trapped on a balcony with some fancy grenades.

pre-"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" he was definitely built up to be a sauron/satan power level character.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He just works

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Didn't like the end where we meet the Crimson King, no.

Tolkien was unable to finish the Silmarillion, that being the history of the world and specifically the Elves, starting from the moment God creates a bunch of angels, who will later make the world. So it was only published after his death, with his son editing it together from like 10x as many pages Tolkien had kept rewriting and expanding upon.

Tolkien was also a linguist, so when he had his elves talk in Elvish, he would create a new language complete with grammar and vocabulary and that was as important to him as the story.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Tolkien was a dork with bad priorities

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I can't even be bothered to learn anything but the most basic Goa'uld despite seeing the series an unhealthy number of times and the fact that the entire "language" seems to be based on "kree" meaning practically anything. When it comes to fictional languages in anything I just skim. I wish King had gone full-fake language with his "high speech", because it's half made up, half regular english so I have to deal with all the kas and thankee-sais and whatnot, which get tiring especially in the fifth book.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

An english linguistics professor was a dork? You don't say.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Philology may be the correct term rather than linguistics here btw.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got slytherin on that official test and I’m still salty from reading the last book in 10th grade and the slytherins turning out to actually all be evil, except Snape, who was an incel

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't even be bothered to learn anything but the most basic Goa'uld despite seeing the series an unhealthy number of times and the fact that the entire "language" seems to be based on "kree" meaning practically anything. When it comes to fictional languages in anything I just skim. I wish King had gone full-fake language with his "high speech", because it's half made up, half regular english so I have to deal with all the kas and thankee-sais and whatnot, which get tiring especially in the fifth book.

You've forgotten the face of your father!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I haven't read the later books. What's the story with Snape w/r/t what you said?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Collapsing Farts posted:

Tolkien was a dork with bad priorities

What were his priorities supposed to be?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

christmas boots posted:

i thought ravenclaw was the bad guy house? what's even the difference

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I haven't read the later books. What's the story with Snape?

He despised harry's dad (and harry by extension) because he didn't get to gently caress his mom even though they were friends longer which made him feel entitled, more or less.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

spit on my clit posted:

i thought ravenclaw was the bad guy house? what's even the difference

Slytherin is evil, Ravenclaw is smart, Hufflepuff is nice, and Gryffindor are protagonists.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Do you guyes think asking a girl to spit in my mouth during sex is more a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin move?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Do you guyes think asking a girl to spit in my mouth during sex is more a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin move?

I think it depends on your motive.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm calling into question the idea that "evil" and "smart" are useful distinctions used in this or most other contexts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How come there isn't a fifth house? Feels like there should be one more. Maybe the cool toughguy wizards that flip their collars up and smoke.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yes, the wizards who have embraced Malkuth, the Kingdom. The shedding of all pretense. The angels and linguistics are cool but in the end is that what you really care about?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Re: Jade Empire's attempt at multi-layered morality, I'm glad they tried, at least. Stock characters are boring.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

You don't need a character to say they're gay or "act gay" in any kind of media for them to be a gay character, and it's extremely patronizing to gay people to have characters whose whole personality is "i like people of my own gender" in the media they consume,

I am gay, and no it's actually a pretty bad trend in (especially older) children's media where gay characters are only allowed to have their gayness be subtext, for fear of making parents angry.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Saagonsa posted:

I am gay, and no it's actually a pretty bad trend in (especially older) children's media where gay characters are only allowed to have their gayness be subtext, for fear of making parents angry.

i'd rather not have a character be reduced to "im gay" or just being a gay stereotype. show them with their husband or wife, or literally anything that would be natural and not just "I'm the gay character! Ok, bye!"

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

i'd rather not have a character be reduced to "im gay" or just being a gay stereotype. show them with their husband or wife, or literally anything that would be natural and not just "I'm the gay character! Ok, bye!"

That would also be a bad gay character, yeah

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

If you care at all about Harry Potter, you have already lost

Harry Potter sucks and I'm embarrassed for anyone who actually thinks about Harry Potter.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Shibawanko posted:

Harry Potter sucks and I'm embarrassed for anyone who actually thinks about Harry Potter.

I care for Alan Rickman a great deal.

I just rewatched Dogma because, why not. And Die Hard wouldn't have been great if it was just Willis vs. some schlub.

I don't think I paid enough attention to HP to know quite what was going on there though. I'd got the impression Snopes was a kind of an antihero.

And caring about those kids was uh, an exercise in frustration. Thanks to Rifftrax and booze though, I got through the whole poo poo pile and Twilight! And now I'm dead.

And Costner's Robin Hood, without Rickman and Michael Wincot that wouldn't even be a movie worth remembering.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
'Wizard People, Dear Reader' is a loving treasure, though.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

'Wizard People, Dear Reader' is a loving treasure, though.

thanks, brad neely

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Costner's robin hood was the only rendition of that story that was worth watching. Cartoon sucks, crowe version is boring and barely felt like a robin hood movie, and every other version seems to be direct to video trash. Men in tights is worth watching once I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing more annoying that rabid Harry Potter fans are people who have to let you know just how much they don't care about Harry Potter.