Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have finished. This is me like 5 minutes after credits roll. Just letting you know, if you check out these black bars, that is what lies ahead of you. Turn away. Ok? Ok.

I just can't. I can't write up a huge block of all my thoughts of the expansion. Nobody wants to read that novel. So instead I'll just give out a nice list.

Positives:
- The MSQ. Guys, holy poo poo. Best Final Fantasy story ever? It's in the running. It was just so gripping and so emotional.
- Best final MSQ trial without question. Don't debate me. Holy poo poo.
- The music is amazing. La hee and all.
- Most of the dungeons were really good! I've said before I think all the Stormblood dungeons are ok at worst. I think that continues to be true for Shadowbringers.
- Having Ardbert narrate and ride along was a great decision.
- Restoring zones bit by bit was also a really good narrative decision. It helps to make a player feel like they're affecting the world around them. Especially in an MMO when that's so hard to do.
-Multiple bullet points on the MSQ story yeah, but this point is personally important to me. I like that in the 11th hour, they tied Emet-Selch's story together with an overarching theme of the story. There's a measure of empathy. It was in Bahamut and Nidhogg and Yotsuyu and many others. You can understand what brought him here. But unfortunately, you have to stop him, because he's too far gone.

Negatives:
Mostly nitpicks tbh. Phenomenal expansion.
- Idk why they bothered doing fake deaths for Thancred and Y'shtola. I know that's a meta complaint, but it still was kind of a waste I felt.
- The part of the MSQ in the mining town started to lose me til Urianger's conversation with Ryne. I know the story can't just like go high and stay there, but it felt very blatantly like a filler arc for a second.
- Why isn't the entire final zone just Amaurot? The northern part that is an almost entirely featureless cavern floor is so lame. I saw people calling The Tempest the best final zone and I was flabbergasted at first. The bottom half deserves all that praise. In totality I think it's not as cool as Azys Lla.
- Thought the last dungeon was kind of the same way weirdly. The first boss was ok. The second boss is trash. Like old Coil elevator trash. The hell was that about? Then suddenly the 3rd area and boss is you grappling What The Fucks at the edge of space while the entire planet blows up below you. Again I was struck by "I wish the whole dungeon was this." I understood why it wasn't better than I did for the zone, but idk.

Guys Final Fantasy XIV is one of the best games I've ever played. Now somebody teach me how to Ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ahh cool thanks - So I guess I will need to buy Shadowbringers anyway at some point. I'm actually realizing that even though I'm mid 50s all the quests cap me at 50 anyway so it doesn't really matter that much? I guess it gets easier to get high ilvl gear whenever you break the cap but I dunno how they scale all that stuff.
It's basically just a way to reduce how often you can't proceed with the MSQ due to level requirements, but inevitably (mid-late Stormblood unless you progress real slow) you'll hit one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also strongly recommend everyone do all the ShB sidequests, some of the quest chains are cool. Two unrelated ones in Il Mheg unlock a third that combines NPCs from both when you finish them.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

anyone know where to get the song from the second half of kholusia?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Ahh cool thanks - So I guess I will need to buy Shadowbringers anyway at some point. I'm actually realizing that even though I'm mid 50s all the quests cap me at 50 anyway so it doesn't really matter that much? I guess it gets easier to get high ilvl gear whenever you break the cap but I dunno how they scale all that stuff.

Just to add, for RDM/SAM and GNB/DNC, in addition to the expansions themselves, you will also have to hit a minimum level with one combat class (any combat class) to unlock them. For RDM/SAM it's 50, for GNB/DNC it's 60.

The counterpoint is that these classes then start at 50 and 60 respectively.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Just beat shadowbringers, holy poo poo does the ending sequence live up to the hype.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the biggest theme of the past few patches is this: nobody in the entire universe stays dead. And that's not a spoiler, because Yotsuyu and Gaius happened last expac.

No one is ever really gone

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also strongly recommend everyone do all the ShB sidequests, some of the quest chains are cool. Two unrelated ones in Il Mheg unlock a third that combines NPCs from both when you finish them.

do not give the beaver milk. you will regret it

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm skipping a few pages here to ask before bed, so sorry if this has already been discussed. In the past I've skipped over playing classes with procs (old machinist and bard, to a lesser degree) because I feel like I wind up just staring at my hotbar to watch for skills to light up randomly instead of actually paying attention to the game. I'm committed to playing dancer though, as I love the class fantasy and have been waiting for it for years. I ran the 73 dungeon last night and sure enough, wound up feeling like i was falling back into just staring at my bars and not paying enough attention to the fights. Here's the UI setup I came up with afterwords to try and help:

My proc skills are on those large, semi-transparent bars, in addition to feathers because I can't get the feather gauge anywhere where I feel like it's not in the way. I tried moving it right below the target bar though just now, that may help. I'm considering sticking my major cooldowns up there too like I have with flourish. I'm not exactly happy with it being so in the way, but I made a keybind to hide/display those bars, so hopefully I can get used to how obtrusive it seems in combat right now.

I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone who plays classes like this has any tips for this sort of thing, or any alternate ways to manage this stuff that work better for them. I've been saying this to my friend for years, but I would absolutely kill for some sort of customizable weak-auras equivalent in this game.

Edit: Oh yeah, can anyone tell me why the feather skills have a little 1 in the corner of them always?

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 3, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Peachy Poo posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, can anyone tell me why the feather skills have a little 1 in the corner of them always?

I think it's how many feathers they cost?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

Do you know which quest unlocks the Beaver store? I saw that a fourth beaver turned up who's a shop keep, but apparently you need to do another quest to get him to sell anything

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I'm level 47 thanks to all the exp buffs but I just unlocked the dungeon in the duty finder. I have a really long way to go, don't I?

You're almost to the end of 2.0, then you start on 2.1 and do all the added patch MSQ stuff. You've slogged through the worst of it, it's pretty much all uphill from there. The last couple of dungeons all have some pretty rad setpieces despite the people you're going to queue up with for it slamming through it at mach speed and bitching about you not skipping the cutscenes. gently caress those guys, watch it the first time through anyways.

I would say it's worth it to go ahead and buy Shadowbringers as soon as possible, even if you're not on that content yet. You get an earring that gives you a 30% exp bonus before level 70 that gives you a big leg up in keeping pace with the leveling of the MSQ and if you want to go back and level alts. In addition, even if you're not on the expansion content, as soon as you hit 50 you can immediately unlock Red Mage and Samurai without being in Stormblood content and both of which start at 50 giving you some options on if you want to class change easily. At 60 the same thing happens with Gunbreaker and Dancer. The Heavensward classes (Dark knight, Machinist, Astrologist) actually require you to be on the 3.0 MSQ and they all start at 30, so you'll actually have to play catch up to get back up to speed.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

FactsAreUseless posted:

The caster role quest line is good, I'm looking forward to the others.

I've only just started the healer quest line and my boy Giott is just the best. I want to smuggle him back to the Source with me and have him meet Tataru, then watch the fireworks as either she brutally murders him or falls desperately in love with him. I hope the rest of the quest line is as good as the first quest.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

Here's a code for a fat black chocobo: FAED ZBS9 5BKA GVZ6 R4T3

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shadowfyst posted:

Here's a code for a fat black chocobo: FAED ZBS9 5BKA GVZ6 R4T3

thanks!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I have finished. This is me like 5 minutes after credits roll. Just letting you know, if you check out these black bars, that is what lies ahead of you. Turn away. Ok? Ok.

Guys Final Fantasy XIV is one of the best games I've ever played. Now somebody teach me how to Ninja.

I agree with almost everything you said, but on one of the nitpicks:

At first when I got to the Tempest I was wondering why they'd gone to so much trouble to keep it secret from the player. Heck even hunt log targets show the zone as ??? before you unlock it. I thought it was a pretty neat zone with some unusual vertical space and good music. But then the Aumarot reveal happens and completely changes everything. Even the music shifts in feel from chill underwater exploration to somber and melancholy. I'm not sure if it would have been as effective if they'd just shown you the city as soon as Large Neighbor dropped you off.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

I stopped doing every side quest partway through il mheg but I need to know if there’s a loving conclusion past the fourth rodentia nightmare

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

You're almost to the end of 2.0, then you start on 2.1 and do all the added patch MSQ stuff. You've slogged through the worst of it, it's pretty much all uphill from there. The last couple of dungeons all have some pretty rad setpieces despite the people you're going to queue up with for it slamming through it at mach speed and bitching about you not skipping the cutscenes. gently caress those guys, watch it the first time through anyways.

I would say it's worth it to go ahead and buy Shadowbringers as soon as possible, even if you're not on that content yet. You get an earring that gives you a 30% exp bonus before level 70 that gives you a big leg up in keeping pace with the leveling of the MSQ and if you want to go back and level alts. In addition, even if you're not on the expansion content, as soon as you hit 50 you can immediately unlock Red Mage and Samurai without being in Stormblood content and both of which start at 50 giving you some options on if you want to class change easily. At 60 the same thing happens with Gunbreaker and Dancer. The Heavensward classes (Dark knight, Machinist, Astrologist) actually require you to be on the 3.0 MSQ and they all start at 30, so you'll actually have to play catch up to get back up to speed.

Thanks! Yeah the HW classes are what confused me. I didn’t realize I could just be a Red Mage already. I like the look of both new classes so I’ll make the decision at 60.

Is that ring still a thing or was it a preorder only bonus ?

(Also I just finished the end of 2.0 dungeons and you can no longer skip cutscenes, at all - still managed to get a speed running party that killed the bosses by logging out and in during cutscenes until I couldn't move for about 20 mins straight, but at least I got to see the story!)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The expansion hasn't even been out a week and I would already bet :10bux: that the next expansion will give Gunbreaker some sort of finisher that activates after a full Continuation combo. Probably called Lion Heart, since we already have the other three FF8 Renzokuken finishers.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Thanks! Yeah the HW classes are what confused me. I didn’t realize I could just be a Red Mage already. I like the look of both new classes so I’ll make the decision at 60.

Is that ring still a thing or was it a preorder only bonus ?

(Also I just finished the end of 2.0 dungeons and you can no longer skip cutscenes, at all - still managed to get a speed running party that killed the bosses by logging out and in during cutscenes until I couldn't move for about 20 mins straight, but at least I got to see the story!)

I also did the end of 2.0 a few days ago. It was hilarious how trivial the content was. Several people in the party mentioned that they had never seen the bosses die so fast. There were several that I don’t even think I saw any mechanics for. I don’t think anyone was abusing the block to cutscene skipping but my party was supportive and was cheering on the new people.

One of my favorite features as a new player is the notice you get before a dungeon that there is a party member that hasn’t completed the dungeon yet. Really smart move along with the party getting increased completion rewards.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Veotax posted:

Do you know which quest unlocks the Beaver store? I saw that a fourth beaver turned up who's a shop keep, but apparently you need to do another quest to get him to sell anything

It just suddenly was for me after I beat the trial. Think it asks for a drop from the EX version but I'm not sure

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm 53 scholar and they changed everything on me, how do you heal and damage now?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Invalid Validation posted:

I'm 53 scholar and they changed everything on me, how do you heal and damage now?

Scholar is still very good, though not quite up to what it was in 4.x. At level 53 you're honestly not going to notice a ton of changes; Art of War replaces Miasma II as your AOE attack, while Shadowflare and Bane are gone. So on bosses, you'll mostly keep Bio up and then spam Broil, while against packs of trash you'll be mashing Art of War and maybe throwing Bio on one or two beefier targets.

You'll want to do the bulk of your healing with Lustrate and Indomitability, since they cost no MP, cast instantly, and are really strong. You want to use up your Aetherflow stacks roughly every 60 seconds anyways. Stuff does seem to hit harder with their reworked damage formula, so don't be afraid to toss out an Adlo or Succor if people are taking a beating. Don't rely on them too much though, since they eat GCDs that you could be killing things with and eat a lot of MP.

Also, bind Lucid Dreaming to a convenient button and hit it basically on cooldown. They halved its cooldown in Shadowbringers and you really, really want the MP.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 3, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

while I've just done dungeons with sch so far, with my experience as a drk main I use Adlo on tankbusters like a drk would use TBN on themselves. seems to work pretty well since whatever my shield doesn't absorb my fairy can usually address.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Using adlo in dungeon boss fights is usually kind of a waste of a GCD, since nothing hits hard enough to kill a tank at 100%. Just lustrate and go.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Use the free critlo before the fight starts though, if only because its cool you don't have to fish for them anymore.

Absolutely do adlo people if you suspect they're about to gently caress up. (especially yourself)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dropping TP bars is maybe the best decision they’ve made since dropping a moon on the world of 1.x
AOE all day everyday baby

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Augus posted:

dropping TP bars is maybe the best decision they’ve made since dropping a meteor on the world of 1.x

If only I could convince my pub DPS that this were the case instead of having them continue to spam their single target combo on 4+ groups at level 80.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Augus posted:

dropping TP bars is maybe the best decision they’ve made since dropping a moon on the world of 1.x

I think it's a bit weird as hell that casters have a resource bar for their basic skills but physical damage classes don't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RDMs and SMNs will run dry with their normal rotation too.

Hell, theres no real reason for lucid dreaming to be a cool down for those classes, just make it a MP regen trait.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

I think it's a bit weird as hell that casters have a resource bar for their basic skills but physical damage classes don't.

In the case of SMN and RDM, it's an explicit hard limit on the number of times they can Raise or use other utility actions in combat. BLM still uses it, but it could easily just be a part of their job gauge or whatever; it just happens to work well for their purposes.

Admittedly, you could just get rid of MP usage for the basic rotation and be none the worse for wear, so I assume it's more a concession to flavor than anything, at this point.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Using adlo in dungeon boss fights is usually kind of a waste of a GCD, since nothing hits hard enough to kill a tank at 100%. Just lustrate and go.

That’s how it used to be, but now there’s a couple reasons to use it: shielding a tank during the pull so that your fairy doesn’t heal them and give you aggro, which is a minor annoyance, and because tanks just take a lot of damage during trash pulls. It’s still a very strong heal, especially when it crits. It’s the main thing I use recitation on now, since crit indom is kind of outshined by all of the aoe healing you can get with whispering dawn, consolation, and sacred soil.

I don’t use it very often during bosses, though, but sometimes I’m out of aetherflow and other tricks because DPS were dumb or something.

Also, PSA for everyone else who isn’t a scholar: if it’s above level 78 stand in the drat sacred soil, it heals you now.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think thats true for all the zones since in Rak Tika you do the great serpent quest line and the to twins quest line it unlocks a third and at the end you get the great serpent as a minion. Do the Son gnome one you get taliho as a emote

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Before the expansion Red Mage could could go almost 5 minutes of casting spells straight before getting low on mana: If they weren't using verraise. Now you pretty need to use lucid every 2 minutes or you'll run dry. They burn through their MP so much faster. They really don't have the luxury of using verraise like before.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LunarEmerald posted:

Before the expansion Red Mage could could go almost 5 minutes of casting spells straight before getting low on mana: If they weren't using verraise. Now you pretty need to use lucid every 2 minutes or you'll run dry. They burn through their MP so much faster. They really don't have the luxury of using verraise like before.

Yeah. my RDM runs out of mana so incredibly fast it's kind of jarring. Before I didn't need to use LD unless i had just raised someone or Manashifted the healer. Now I need to use it on cooldown more or less and it's kind of an odd thing to think about.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

LunarEmerald posted:

I'm running into this more with AST as well. I'd have to hit it for longer/hard fights but I need to remember to hit it more often now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Thundarr posted:

I agree with almost everything you said, but on one of the nitpicks:

At first when I got to the Tempest I was wondering why they'd gone to so much trouble to keep it secret from the player. Heck even hunt log targets show the zone as ??? before you unlock it. I thought it was a pretty neat zone with some unusual vertical space and good music. But then the Aumarot reveal happens and completely changes everything. Even the music shifts in feel from chill underwater exploration to somber and melancholy. I'm not sure if it would have been as effective if they'd just shown you the city as soon as Large Neighbor dropped you off.

I think that's a really fair point, it's just I feel like there's some better way we could've gotten from A to B. I might just be fussy over the quest where you aren't given a map. The last kind of quest I want in a nearly completely featureless area where you can only see blank water in the distance is a quest that asks you to find one spot on your own.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Maybe they’re trying to make piety more valuable to caster DPS, I suggest with a totally straight face.

Also once I got more time in it, summoner got better, but I think it’s just too much for my old brain to deal with. I need to level red mage for my retainer anyway, so it’s cool. It has a lot of really cool stuff in it, but things like how aetherflow works for them now just feels like busywork to give you more apm and pretty vestigial to the cool part of the class (Phoenix and Bahamut)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Piety isn't just not on caster gear, it actually has no effect on MP for casters.