Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Tom and Kevin 2 on this week's Pro Version was great. It's always weird/fun to hear Scharpling gleefully working blue, and he's got a surprisingly good chemistry with Kevin.

Podcasters In Priuses Getting Pizza was a pretty inspired joke from Chef Kevin. That and the Ira Glass car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Engineer Jordan has the best off-mic laughter this side of PFT.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Just saw this video from Clusterfest and came to the realization that my old landlord is in Dead Letter Office. Small world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHNSreFfVa0

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I honestly can't tell if Chef Kevin is actually really funny, or if he just stumbles into good jokes entirely by mistake because of the people he's with. It's very weird, but I love him very much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's a funny dude, but he has a lot of bad instincts. IIRC he lobbied Besser to become the I4H intern so he's at least somewhat of a comedy nerd, and I believe he's been an improv performer in the past. But he's just a bit of a dweeb sometimes. I definitely appreciate his presence more than not, and the boys having a master who plays (or just is) lower status than them is a great dynamic.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I was in Portland at the Hollywood Handbook live show where Kevin had to do standup, and he does seem to have good comedic instincts. He was able to keep the crowd entertained for almost a half hour on his own, which is probably more than most people could do.

Also, the latest REM episode was unironically one of the most heartwarming podcasts I've heard in a while. I really liked the stories about the lengths the Scotts went to keep the secret from Dead Letter Office.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hannibal Smith posted:

I was in Portland at the Hollywood Handbook live show where Kevin had to do standup, and he does seem to have good comedic instincts. He was able to keep the crowd entertained for almost a half hour on his own, which is probably more than most people could do.

It was strange when Kevin had the authority over audience members and was acting very Boys like.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Hannibal Smith posted:

Also, the latest REM episode was unironically one of the most heartwarming podcasts I've heard in a while. I really liked the stories about the lengths the Scotts went to keep the secret from Dead Letter Office.

Those guys really proved they deserved the honor by performing such a note-perfect, heartfelt version of How Does It Feel (When You're In REM (Good)), in my book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm listening to this latest REM and good lord this is a long story about fooling a cover band.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
there was an ep not too long ago where kevin wasn't there and ... i'm sorry but ... it was like, oh, this used to be different and. ... better.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

After a second runthrough of the HHPV, I'm officially out of stuff to listen to. I need some recommendations for stuff to play at work today: what are your guys' favorite episodes of Hollywood Handbook? Mine are the ones where the guys interact with the engineers or each other a lot, and the guest plays more of a background role, but there are a few eps I like a lot. For reference, off the top of my head my favorite episodes are:
Masked Engineer
The Desi Lydic ep
The Joe Mande ep
The one with PFT and the Is This Racist guy
Julie Klausner eps
Deadpool
The one with DC Pierson where they do SNL auditions (the first ep I ever listened to)

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Listen to Masterclass again.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I go through the Tom Scharpling episodes chronologically every couple of months; I can't get enough of Tom's progression from an annoyed, defensive guest to a full-on sycophant who is desperate for the Boys' approval.

Also the episode where he sings "Stranger Things" to the Ghostbusters theme song remains the first thing I think of any time somebody mentions that series, followed closely by "Now you're in the Upside-Down, you piece of poo poo!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'm personally a fan of the Comic-Con episode where they do so good in front of an adoring audience that it brings the boys to tears by the end of re-listening to it.

I also generally like the Adam Conover episode because they spend the episode ruinsing him and it even has a very good Chef Kevin joke in it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There’s an episode where I think Hayes is gone and there’s a few people as guests. Like Ben Rodgers is one of them and they go through some screenplays they’ve been working on and the music cues and poo poo are so funny.

E: also not an episode but the moment in the Stephanie Allyne episode where they ask about Steve Ranizizi is so loving funny.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I go back and listen to the Zoe Jarmon episode every couple of months. The castle school stuff kills me. Sean talking about how his stick wand gives him a rash and how "now it's the feets turn" cracks me up no matter how many times I rewind it.

And I miss the hell out of Hard Nation. The episode with Sean and Hayes playing Dog and Dinosaur Bone is epic stuff. Another episode that I listen to every couple of months.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
There was an episode of hard nation where the conservative brother described a dog's brain as a slinky going down the stairs. It still cracks me up.

Hollywood handbook still great and I've almost listened to every ep of actionboyz no regerts

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I've hit 2017 in my HH backlog listen and there is little more that brings more joy than Tom Scharpling as a guest. He makes me buss up in a good way

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Speaking of which, looks like the tables have turned...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

fadam posted:

After a second runthrough of the HHPV, I'm officially out of stuff to listen to. I need some recommendations for stuff to play at work today: what are your guys' favorite episodes of Hollywood Handbook?

I'm doing a first-time listen of the entirety of HH. I just finished the Gilmore Guys episode and it was definitely a big highlight.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
In case you haven’t watched this in a minute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBqTPfyqffo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Did something happen recently that Paul and Lauren have brought up Kulap's age in like every episode of Threedom this season?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It seems like three or so episodes were recorded in one session, and they started ragging on Scott in the first one so it just became a running thing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SpacePig posted:

Did something happen recently that Paul and Lauren have brought up Kulap's age in like every episode of Threedom this season?

They are mean people and making fun of their inability to conceive.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I thought they recorded each season of Threedom in one go, as the show was inspired by those tour-end recaps where they're trapped in a studio for ages and go insane. I mean, thinking about it now, that sounds crazy but not impossible.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I thought they recorded each season of Threedom in one go, as the show was inspired by those tour-end recaps where they're trapped in a studio for ages and go insane. I mean, thinking about it now, that sounds crazy but not impossible.

I _love_ the idea of a 26+ hour recording session but I don't think that's how they do it. They record several at a time but not all of them in one go. =D

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can already tell that I am going to enjoy the "weird game" more than the "bad game" episodes of How Did This Get Played.

The Hatoful Boyfriend episode was funny. Everybirdy should give that one a chance.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Franchescanado posted:

I can already tell that I am going to enjoy the "weird game" more than the "bad game" episodes of How Did This Get Played.

The Hatoful Boyfriend episode was funny. Everybirdy should give that one a chance.

Agreed. I hope for more weird game in the future.

However it annoyed me that Betsy and Mano just flat out rejected this style of game as a whole. I wish they had chosen someone more open to the experience. Also, although I have a lot of affection for Betsy Sodaro, I find she doesn't really contribute much. Half the stuff she ever says is just "yeah!" and/or repeating the last thing that was said. It's like she took "yes, and..." and boiled it down to just "yes".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

Agreed. I hope for more weird game in the future.

However it annoyed me that Betsy and Mano just flat out rejected this style of game as a whole. I wish they had chosen someone more open to the experience. Also, although I have a lot of affection for Betsy Sodaro, I find she doesn't really contribute much. Half the stuff she ever says is just "yeah!" and/or repeating the last thing that was said. It's like she took "yes, and..." and boiled it down to just "yes".

I think it was worth it for the reveal that she basically has a light case of ornithophobia, which probably why she was a stick in the mud.

Every episode so far has given me a moment where I want to feed the hosts questions/info. Like when Mano was asking about dating sims in general, he said (approximately) "So the entire genre is like this? Where you don't do anything?" I was expecting Wiger to talk about Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley or the Persona series, or any of the other games that incorporate Dating Sims with other play systems, since he's played those games. But they just move on instead.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Andy Richter's podcast sounds like the most boring thing I have ever heard of

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I love Wiger and the idea of a bad video game podcast, but I find his co-host grating. It's actually the first time I've listened to someone on a podcast and thought "I wish they'd tone down the swearing".

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tacier posted:

I love Wiger and the idea of a bad video game podcast, but I find his co-host grating. It's actually the first time I've listened to someone on a podcast and thought "I wish they'd tone down the swearing".

I disagree.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tacier posted:

He's just trying to gently caress that bird.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I want them to go into more detail on some of their tangents because I must know the full story behind Wiger's notion that Pac-Man is a bird.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I want them to do Trespasser. I weirdly loved that game

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope they take suggestions on Twitter eventually. I'd love them to cover Tonic Trouble on N64.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I love Julie Klausner and of course i love Hayes but i really would like Sean to be around for a Julie ep.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tacier posted:

I was going to defend Heather Anne Campbell but then she said she hates Luigi. Indefensible position for a professional Game Liker.

Also, Betsy is wrong, the scariest level in Goldeneye was Surface 2. A massive level, with a blood red and black sky and 0 visibility, where enemies routinely swarm to your location like you're wearing a homing beacon. Terrifying.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like the idea of Betsy and Mano skipping through page after page of bird-sex dialogue so they can get to the fun part of the game. Like they were expecting a mini game where you make spaghetti or something. I also imagine that their apartment is decorated like a McDonalds Play Place.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I love Julie Klausner and of course i love Hayes but i really would like Sean to be around for a Julie ep.

I was a little disappointed when I realized Sean was out too, but honestly Julie killed me this episode.

Is HDTGP at all entertaining if you don't know or care that much about vidyagames? I have trouble getting into #TheFlagrantOnes since I don't know or care anything about basketball, but I do like it enough to listen once I've worked my way through my weekly rotation.