Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

SP was very enjoyable if you were a cynical, bitter tweenager.

Now I guess it's enjoyable if you're a cynical, bitter dad.

It is much less cynical now, and not as bitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hopefully, the readers too

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
It's kind of funny he killed off the main char's (i.e. him) mom and gave his dad alzheimer's, but both are alive and well in real life and are all "why did you do that to us in your comic?"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Scaramouche posted:

Didn't chip zdarsky (nee Moore) start in webcomics or am I conflating him with Ryan North?

Chip was an humor illustrator for a few different magazines before he jumped into comics, as far as I know.

He does have a very strong twitter game, however.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1141476432234856448

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1141483551621373952

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1105960601707110401

(Don't click through if you're at work, his twitter header has his naked butt in it)

He also makes very good comic covers:
https://imgur.com/gallery/MkqMBiM

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 25, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

He also makes very good comic covers:
https://imgur.com/gallery/MkqMBiM

These are all real good but it kills me I can't pick between the Daredevil and X-Men one as my favorite.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lisa Hanawalt's done really well for herself.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I remember when one of the characters in Applegeeks made a robot waifu and about a week later Ethan in cad just so happened to make his own robot and the internet had a good chuckle.
Making or otherwise just having a robot character was super goddamn common in webcomics around then anyways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SardonicTyrant posted:

So, Ian Jones-Quartey infamously dropped his webcomic RPG World over a decade ago, but came back in a big way as an animator and now heads the show O.K. K.O. Anyone know any other success stories for early webcomic creators? Let's say creators that managed to support themselves through merch don't count. I'm talking about people that came back in a big way.
Christopher Hastings (Dr. McNinja) writes for Marvel (all of Gwenpool was his, IIRC), and Brian Clevinger (8 Bit Theater) started Atomic Robo over a decade ago and that's still going.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

brian clevinger of 8 bit theater started writing for marvel - i think he might be one of the first webcomic creators who got into pro work (makes sense, he was one of the first webcomic creators period)
Wasn't Atomic Robo published under a big-name indie label?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Most webcomics start as goofy comedy, add a robot and transition into scifi action. QC keeps getting stuck on the first step

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In Rigsby, WI, something pretty bad is bound to happen now thanks to Beth's lovely mom, so my question is: exactly how catastrophic will a double dose of Adderall and Zoloft be?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I feel really bad for Beth, because her options were basically 1/ Not take the medication and have her mom freak out that she's disobedient/not listening/etc. or 2/ take the medication - and now her mom will insist that's vindication and evidence that she hadn't take it before.... unless of course the dosing causes problems, but I have faith her mom will still find a way to blame that on other people.

It looks like dosage and overdosage for SSRIs and Adderall are all over the place, it is possible nothing would happen but it could also be sickness, blackouts, and heart problems depending on her dose and her personal reaction to it. :ohdear:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Since switching to humans, Rigsby WI has gotten... cuter? This new artstyle is very good and it's better and more stylized than Cheap Thrills.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ashcans posted:

I feel really bad for Beth, because her options were basically 1/ Not take the medication and have her mom freak out that she's disobedient/not listening/etc. or 2/ take the medication - and now her mom will insist that's vindication and evidence that she hadn't take it before.... unless of course the dosing causes problems, but I have faith her mom will still find a way to blame that on other people.

It looks like dosage and overdosage for SSRIs and Adderall are all over the place, it is possible nothing would happen but it could also be sickness, blackouts, and heart problems depending on her dose and her personal reaction to it. :ohdear:

Don't swallow the pills, move out of the room, spit them out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Something tells me her mom is going to expect that and use it as evidence that she was right all along if she discovers it. :(

Ashcans posted:

Thankfully double dosing for a single day usually isn't very risky, so unless the author has something in mind, she'll probably be fine and this is just a humiliating moment more than anything.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 25, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wasn't Atomic Robo published under a big-name indie label?
IDW, yeah. And it's "is", not "was", it's still going!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It started out with Red 5 Comics, which I don't think is a very big publisher. It also hopped back into the webcomic zone, so there's not much you can say about one being more legitimate than the other.

There was a thing where they had to cut ties with somebody on the business side because he made a snide tweet in support of the shooting of a congresswoman, but I guess that was a retailer?
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2011/01/11/heavy-ink/

Speaking of webcomics that started out as print, Girl Genius may be about to take care of one out of 3 Lucrezias, although probably something's going to go horribly wrong. Wonder if they'll try to get rid of the Baron while they're at it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of webcomics that started out as print, Girl Genius may be about to take care of one out of 3 Lucrezias, although probably something's going to go horribly wrong. Wonder if they'll try to get rid of the Baron while they're at it.

They are! But it's unclear if they ever got the chance to get that spinal fluid sample they needed.

As for what's going to go wrong, Lucrezia was already fighting Agatha for control and getting dangerously close to winning a few strips ago before "going quiet", so my guess is that Lucrezia took advantage of the distraction to take control as soon as Agatha left the room. EDIT: She's missing now, of course.

EDIT: Wow, Tarvek really meant it when he said "no more delays". That's one long-running issue resolved, at least.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 3, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I too thought Voodooism was a solid album, though The Sequel was pretty weak. I liked Escapism, but not relevant.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
clomic

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is this, a comic for clowns?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/july-2-2019/ it's starting! :getin:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh boy here we go

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh my god, this is the greatest present anyone has ever given me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god the art hasn’t changed this is perfect.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
"Note: This entire story is told from Snout's perspective, so there will be no dialogue on any page."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vonnie posted:

"Note: This entire story is told from Snout's perspective, so there will be no dialogue on any page."

I think you’ll find the snouts in Dominic Deegan can be very wordy.

That said, literally not even a full page until the first woman in a bloody heap, wow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am genuinely excited to see how bad this is going to be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I still want to know who he thinks this is for, though. What fans does he think were clamoring for this that aren't, uh, hatereaders?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ashcans posted:

Molly Ostertag started as the artist for Strong Female Protagonist, and then wrote her own published graphic novels and is now working for Disney animation.

Wait, you can get a job in Disney animation by drawing like this?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How has Mookie drawn so long and improved so little.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ChubbyChecker posted:

:shrug:
According to IMDB she is a prop designer, so it's not like she's in control of an entire show's production or anything. She works on Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and a quick look shows it has a pretty light, Dexter's Lab style (there is probably a real name for this I don't know) so her work is not out of whack for it. My kids liked her Witch Boy books, which ultimately is what I guess matters.

Mors Rattus posted:

I still want to know who he thinks this is for, though. What fans does he think were clamoring for this that aren't, uh, hatereaders?
He has a Patreon with 56 backers, so I guess it's for those people?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mookie's fetish for dead or dying women is the Fedex arrow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Her art is fine?

She was working at Disney concurrently with her comics stuff.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I want to create a webcomic with a deaf character! How can I possibly communicate this to the readers in an elegant way... Hmm...

Perfect.

Vonnie posted:

Wait, for real?

Yep, found it on the About page, holy poo poo lol

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I want to create a webcomic with a deaf character! How can I possibly communicate this to the readers in an elegant way... Hmm...

Perfect.

Wait, for real?

Yep, found it on the About page, holy poo poo lol

:yeshaha:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mookie played the quiet man and was overwhelmed with emotion and needed to put his own spin on it

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Remember when a mute character gained the ability to speak for no reason and no explanation, solely so he could deliver exposition to the main character.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Remember when then final threat was a ball of spaghetti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Remember when everything Dominic Deegan did was so important that Mookie made another comic where Dominic has been dead for years, but it's still totally focused on him regardless?

...Also, like, everyone's called the plot twist that Snout is Dominic's descendant the second they saw him, right?