Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Barudak posted:

The point miriams hand to open door thing never comes up again after the library/one room in the double towers area so no it doesnt come up more. It definitely feels like a mechanic they coded, saw sucked and dropped but didnt remove entirely since those areas were already finished.

The hand power will come up a two more times so its not quite as pointless.

Traversal powers in general in the game are oddly spaced.

I thought the whole hand thing was just to teach you how to aim Directional shards and then the door thing was just a bonus mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Excelzior posted:

I thought the whole hand thing was just to teach you how to aim Directional shards and then the door thing was just a bonus mechanic

Yeah pretty much

also it does actually show up again like twice? You use it to pull the bookshelves out in the library and you have to spin exactly 1 gear in the towers to make a platform.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

please do not mention m***** n***** 9 again in this thread, it is too bad to remain in the public consciousness at all

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat. Playing the switch port might not help, also. The thing is: I never played SOTN. I played Castlevania on the SNES and Gameboy, but since I never had a PS1, I don't even know how good or bad SOTN is. I know I love many Metroidvanias, because I love Metroid. So I got Bloodstained, and I am currently not sure why it is getting the high praise. It feels unfinished and pretty rough around the edges (not just the Switch port, but from what I can see on YouTube, it's the same on other platforms). It isn't a bad game, mind you, but without SOTN-experience, I can't compare it. If I compare it to some of my favourite metroidvanias of recent years, it wouldn't come out on top, or even in the top five.

i'm the opposite of you. i play SOTN back in the day but i never played any of the DS games or the modern indy Metroidvanias (except Rogue Legacy, which was fun). i am curious, what are the five metroidvanaias that are better than Bloodstained?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
honestly SOTN was a pretty flawed game too that was carried by its exceptional art and music

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magnitogorsk. posted:

honestly SOTN was a pretty flawed game too that was carried by its exceptional art and music

I bought it for the Microsoft Xbox 360 home computer system and didn't much like it. First you get to do all sorts of cool stuff and then some creepy boy takes away all the fun stuff. Sad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Didn't the original pitch for Mighty No. 9 not say anything about a dash mechanic?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i'm the opposite of you. i play SOTN back in the day but i never played any of the DS games or the modern indy Metroidvanias (except Rogue Legacy, which was fun). i am curious, what are the five metroidvanaias that are better than Bloodstained?

Dude if you liked Bloodstained this much you absolutely need to play the GBA/DS ones.
At the very least you should play Aria of Sorrow for GBA and Dawn of Sorrow for DS. The Soul mechanic in those are literally exactly the same as the Shard mechanic in Bloodstained, and they've got the best overall level designs since SOTN.

Also I wouldn't say they're necessarily better than SOTN but fairly recent examples of the genre:
-Hollow Knight
-Steamworld Dig 2
-Song of the Deep
-Owlboy
-Ori and the Blind Forest
-Axiom Verge

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best castlevania game is called spelunky

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

signalnoise posted:

It's both. Bloodstained manages to deliver on expectations, which is weirdly hard to come by these days. It is essentially Symphony of the Night but modernized using all of the things Koji Igarashi has learned about the genre is largely responsible for defining, while not changing the things that made SotN feel like SotN, like the way characters move, the way weapons feel, and so on. If that isn't what you want, then of course you will have issues with it. However, you can't deny that it is exactly what they said it would be in terms of design, and that is worthy of praise. On top of that, I feel that Bloodstained is genuinely a good game that iterates on SotN in meaningful and good ways.

Compare that to Mighty No. 9, which failed to deliver on the things that made Mega Man fun. MN9 was not simply a bad game, it failed in its basic goal of feeling like Mega Man, which was the bare minimum for meeting expectations. Yooka-Laylee similarly failed to deliver on feeling like Banjo-Kazooie. Though both Yooka-Laylee and MN9 were also just not fun games outright, people would have been upset if they were different types of games after their initial pitch.

Honestly though I think it's weird that you think it's hard to call it good when you admit that it is fun and worth playing. hosed up

I liked yooka-laylee and it felt like banjo to me. Not nearly as good, but I had a fun time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The best castlevania game is called spelunky

La Mulana wins by a nose

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the best Castlevania game is Castlevania: Erotic Violence Pachinko

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Dude if you liked Bloodstained this much you absolutely need to play the GBA/DS ones.
At the very least you should play Aria of Sorrow for GBA and Dawn of Sorrow for DS. The Soul mechanic in those are literally exactly the same as the Shard mechanic in Bloodstained, and they've got the best overall level designs since SOTN.

Also I wouldn't say they're necessarily better than SOTN but fairly recent examples of the genre:
-Hollow Knight
-Steamworld Dig 2
-Song of the Deep
-Owlboy
-Ori and the Blind Forest
-Axiom Verge

Oh, i played Circle of the Moon on GBA. that was one of my favorite games back in the day. the shard system in Bloodstained kind of reminded me of that card system it had (though I liked the cards better, because you could combine them instead of one power per monster).

with the exception of Hollow Knight i haven't even heard of those other games. i guess i have a lot of metroidvania to catch up on!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
none of those, not even the good ones, feel like Castlevania

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember having a bad time with Axiom Verge but i can't remember why

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bonaventure posted:

honestly what sold me on Bloodstained was the sound the harpies made then they died. that distorted scream made it a Castlevania game for me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Although everyone (including me) complains about the very beginning of Fallout 2, the major issue is the end-game.

It's still one of the best computer video games ever made so :shrug:

e: I'm replaying it yet again for the umpteenth time, which is where I'm coming from right now.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Axiom Verge to me had that problem with some Metroidvanias where you're just walking through whole sections of the games past ability-locked doors thinking "Oh poo poo I'm going to have to backtrack so hard to get all of these and that's if I even get the power to open them soon."

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmm i dont remember that being a frustration as much as the shooting and movement just feeling a bit off

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't like it because the map was bad, it was very difficult to figure out where to go, and many paths were 1-way, so even if you knew where to go getting there was a pain in the rear end. It's the only metroidvania I've ever given up on after starting. It's a shame, because the gameplay/combat/weapons were really good, just for me navigating the world was no fun and that's a big part of my enjoyment of that type of game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Although everyone (including me) complains about the very beginning of Fallout 2, the major issue is the end-game.

It's still one of the best computer video games ever made so :shrug:

e: I'm replaying it yet again for the umpteenth time, which is where I'm coming from right now.

whats wrong with the oil rig? you should be able to handle some robots and guys in power armor by the end

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It looks nice but the gameplay was really basic.

Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight is a massively underappreciated metroidvania.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah Axiom Verge was OK, I liked the aesthetic but a lot of the weapons were bad, and the gameplay was meh.

Bonaventure posted:

Sure, they're all examples of the "metroidvania" type of game, though. Branching, relatively open-ended exploration-based sidescrollers, with big maps and new areas gated off by unlockable abilities.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

FoolyCharged posted:

I liked yooka-laylee

yikes

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It is an opinion worthy of this thread

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Indeedy

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don’t really like metroidvania games but ori and the blind forest was weirdly compelling to me, mostly bc the sound design was very pleasing

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The difficulty spikes through the roof for the last couple of rooms due to the ability you unlock right before.

I thought it was an awesome game, but it definitely would have benefited from being made by more than one person.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don’t really like metroidvania games but ori and the blind forest was weirdly compelling to me, mostly bc the sound design was very pleasing

The sequel is out next year!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ori was amazing but I felt it was way too short but I also feel like if it was longer the charm would be lost.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I liked that it took a relatively short time to 100% bc I like doing that but don’t like spending at least twice the natural gamespan to get there so I rarely bother

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

food court bailiff posted:

please do not mention m***** n***** 9 again in this thread, it is too bad to remain in the public consciousness at all

There are harsh lessons that must be remembered. Because the industry sure ain't gonna.

Plan Z posted:

Didn't the original pitch for Mighty No. 9 not say anything about a dash mechanic?

Completely different graphical style too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was only vaguely aware of what had gone on with Mighty No. 9, so I thought I'd give it a try and see whether it was mostly a case of poorly managed expectations or if it's really a bad game. I can tell you with pretty high certainty that it's actually a stinker, and that there's nothing they could've done to make people like it as is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please do not recommend Owlboy to people who like Metroidvanias or good games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
owl boy is a great game, if you hate your self

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I am doing lovely at a game and a prompt comes up suggesting that I turn the difficulty down it’s not helpful and just pisses me off more. I also think game devs know this and that’s why they put them in there.

Sorry this is probably barely relevant but I didn’t know what other thread it would fit into.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats why the game shouldn't ask, it should just do it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It should ask and then secretly make the game harder if you answer yes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it should just give you an avenue to make the game easier, like if you can't cut it with your skill alone that's ok you can get functionally infinite health if you grind long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think that if you aren't good enough to beat a game you just shouldn't get to beat that game