Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wow, all this looks awesome. Thanks for the responses.

I'm curious to why comics are still popular in France but not in America?

More respect for the medium, which attracts talented artists.

The discussion made me curious about Angoulême's festival posters:

https://www.sudouest.fr/2018/11/21/en-images-45-ans-d-affiches-du-festival-international-de-la-bande-dessinee-d-angouleme-5582549-4953.php

Lots of beloved names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I know it's not the case, I think comics in the States have always been targeted or at least connotated towards kids, that people are supposed to grow out of. It's far more universal here. Also print is not really expensive here books or otherwise.

Keep in mind I say this both as an outsider and as someone who is fairly ignorant about the whole thing. It's just a wholly unsubstantiated personal observation.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

punk rebel ecks posted:

Censorship wasn't as bad (though still pretty bad) so it maintained a diverse artistic community instead of being massively dominated by one single genre, and live-action media are ludicrously expensive to produce outside of some narrow genres since we don't have anything comparable to Hollywood, whereas comics let you go hogwild with fantastical stories. You also have to take into account readership statistics in general, which have more complex evolutions.

It's not without its problems: there's been some noise from artists over how difficult it is to live from your creations, given the massive work that goes into creating a single album and how little editors are willing to pay you in comparison. But :capitalism:.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

While I know it's not the case, I think comics in the States have always been targeted or at least connotated towards kids, that people are supposed to grow out of. It's far more universal here. Also print is not really expensive here books or otherwise.

Keep in mind I say this both as an outsider and as someone who is fairly ignorant about the whole thing. It's just a wholly unsubstantiated personal observation.
No see America got a really good independent comic book scene (Maus, Stranger in Paradise, tons of good gay and lesbian comics)... It's just that as an industry US comics book never made any sense to most European readers. Well, Vertigo and similar "more adult" line sells alongside European books but it's not their "mainstream" line.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

cugel posted:

More respect for the medium, which attracts talented artists.

The discussion made me curious about Angoulême's festival posters:

https://www.sudouest.fr/2018/11/21/en-images-45-ans-d-affiches-du-festival-international-de-la-bande-dessinee-d-angouleme-5582549-4953.php

Lots of beloved names.

I don’t know about respect for the medium. 3/4 of comics artists in France earn less than minimum wage from their work.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

YaketySass posted:

It's not without its problems: there's been some noise from artists over how difficult it is to live from your creations, given the massive work that goes into creating a single album and how little editors are willing to pay you in comparison. But :capitalism:.

Most publishers aren't exactly getting filthy rich off authors either, in my experience (although there are definitely some pretty scummy ones); it's an industry with very thin margins that are being squeezed even thinner by a handful of retailers. It doesn't help that being an independent author in France is a really lovely deal as far as social protection and the corresponding mandatory contributions go.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Toplowtech posted:

No see America got a really good independent comic book scene (Maus, Stranger in Paradise, tons of good gay and lesbian comics)... It's just that as an industry US comics book never made any sense to most European readers. Well, Vertigo and similar "more adult" line sells alongside European books but it's not their "mainstream" line.

These comics sell like 8,000 units.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.politico.eu/article/on-chemicals-france-stands-alone/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

France has gone really chemophobe lately.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
La météo c'est plus ce que c'était

https://twitter.com/frlaborde/status/1148198000361127936?s=19

Edit : ah non c'est sa soeur qui fait la météo, mea culpa

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 8, 2019

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
loving lol at crying about laïcité while retweeting poo poo from a paper run by the Falun Gong

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1148505901990633472

:monocle:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/TeamProgressist/status/1148869607396130817?s=20

I'm the délire bolchevik

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
A force de sabrer les budgets de l'école et des facs, personne n'apprend plus à bien fermer sa gueule avant de l'ouvrir. Après, j'admets que se gaver aux frais du contribuable pendant qu'une famille sur dix crève la faim, on fait difficilement moins bolcho.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

La Team Progressistes soutient l'action de ceux qui croient en la démocratie, aux libertés, en France et en Europe, contre les xénophobes et europhobes.
Qu'on leur donne des homards! :suicide:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
hey france, congratulations on having a military parade 10x as good as trump's

also thanks for inviting mutti

https://twitter.com/ZDFheute/status/1150341495167361029

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/meteofrance/status/1152189589681037312?s=20

:tif:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Food deliverer strike in france. They watch for restaurants on Deliveroo and drive to them, honking outside until the restaurant turns their app off again.

https://twitter.com/Eldjai/status/1157986461284741120

Do any of y'all maybe care to comment on this or add background? Googling hasn't exactly lead to easily readable articles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This week in diplomacy, France has managed to piss off:

All in all, a constructive week.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The first two sound more like cases of fascists getting down over fairly innocuous things to me :shrug:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 4, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Oh, I'm actually glad we're pissing off fascists and dictators instead of behaving like doormats.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

Do any of y'all maybe care to comment on this or add background? Googling hasn't exactly lead to easily readable articles.

Deliveroo changed its wage policies overnight and without warning, paying long distance deliveries more but short distance less. This pissed off the basically slavesgig economy workers since the overwhelming majority work short distance making their wage through volume. The move by Deliveroo also encourages/profits delivery guys on mopeds and scooters as opposed to bicyclers, which isn't eco-friendly (and while they don't represent the majority of Deliveroo employees, quite a few are woke hipster crunchy granola types).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Deliveroo changed its wage policies overnight and without warning, paying long distance deliveries more but short distance less. This pissed off the basically slavesgig economy workers since the overwhelming majority work short distance making their wage through volume. The move by Deliveroo also encourages/profits delivery guys on mopeds and scooters as opposed to bicyclers, which isn't eco-friendly (and while they don't represent the majority of Deliveroo employees, quite a few are woke hipster crunchy granola types).

That's an excellent summary, thanks. Does it look like this is hurting Deliveroo or too early to tell?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

That's an excellent summary, thanks. Does it look like this is hurting Deliveroo or too early to tell?

Dunno, the articles I found had spokesmen for Deliveroo saying "nah it's just a few guys doing it, we ain't even care or notice" while spokesmen for the strikers swear a majority of delivery people are with them but I'm not sure how they can tell, since the whole "beauty" of Deliveroo's scheme is that they don't really have employee rosters per se, just "anybody with a warm body, an app, and desperate enough to sign up for voluntary slavery". Pretty difficult to organize workers when you have no idea who the other workers are...
That being said, I'm on zero social networks and I don't personally know any Deliveroo workers, so I really can't be more specific. Sorry.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Meanwhile, on French television:

https://twitter.com/JejeSeries/status/1159094230670872576?s=20

:catstare:

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

lmao looking forward to the next logical step, Joséphine contre l'Holocauste

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/r_decastelnau/status/1159727062799855616

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ouais, depuis quand les flics ils tapent ?! C'est un scandale ! #justicepourSteve ! Hein, quoi ? Le salon milipol depuis 1984, Malik Oussekine,mai 68, les joyeux Voltigeurs de De Gaulle (deux flics sur une moto, un qui conduit vite, un qui tient le baton bien à hauteur de crâne), les grenades en tir tendu dans la gueule des étudiants depuis toujours (mais bon c'est des gauchos, ca compte pas), les violences quasi-quotidiennes dans les banlieues depuis... depuis qu'il y a des banlieues, en gros ?

Oui non mais quand même, sous Macron c'est quand même immonde ! Ils tapent sur des vrais gens maintenant, tu l'crois ça !?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

aaah yes, it was bad in the past so everyone should have it bad for all future and also it builds character if things are bad. you are very smart

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Oui enfin c'est vrai que la formulation du touite est un peu idiote, il faut avoir un peu de la merde dans les yeux pour penser que la violence et les tendances d'extrême-droite de la police sont des phénomènes récents et attribuables au gourvenement Macron en particulier. On a quand même un peu l'impression que les gens se réveillent quand c'est un gentil garçon blanc de classe moyenne qui s'en prend plein la gueule et pas avant

Ca ne veut pas dire bien sûr qu'il ne faut rien faire contre !

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

aaah yes, it was bad in the past so everyone should have it bad for all future and also it builds character if things are bad. you are very smart

That's not what I'm saying. I think it's a good thing that more and more people are finally realizing that cops given leeway to be indiscriminately violent militarized openly racist assholes is perhaps not a good idea.

I'm just sarcastic and mildly pissed off because we've been telling many of these people this for 30+ years and they either wouldn't listen or didn't give a poo poo as long as only the "wrong" sort of people got the right end of the stick. The one with a nail in it. A mix of "I told you so !" and "motherfucker, where was your righteous indignation when *I* was getting stomped on ?"
It also makes me suspect their motives - if they're only against violent cops because they don't like Macron and this is as good a stick as any to beat him with, will they go back to being OK with it when the next guy takes over or things go back to the "old normal" ?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The problem with police is simple: who wants to be a policeman? Nobody in their right mind is going to want to be a cop because it's an attractive job prospect. So it leaves only those who are ideologically motivated to seek this job despite how much it sucks.

Now what kind of ideology could make attractive the prospect of wearing a uniform and enforcing order through violence if need be... :thunk:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

The problem with police is simple: who wants to be a policeman? Nobody in their right mind is going to want to be a cop because it's an attractive job prospect. So it leaves only those who are ideologically motivated to seek this job despite how much it sucks.

That's not quite true - the majority of cops will just cut parking/speeding tickets, write paper on stolen property that'll never be found and break up the occasional domestic. Many people become that kind of cop because while the pay sucks, the police is perennially undermanned and will absolutely take on any warm body. One of my friends (although I haven't seen him in a while, ever since he got married and sprogged and hasn't got time for boardgames any more) is a Proudhon-quoting art college dude who became a képi after failing to make it as an artist three or four years running. You take what you can get when you're out of options.

But the guys who volunteer for hard charging outfits, be it the BAC or the CRS, yeah, those are vicious monsters to a man. Hell, even the other cops look down on the CRS. Which is why it behooves both the préfets to be *very* circumspect about when to let them out of their kennel and strict about the length of leash they are allowed ; just as it behooves magistrates to immediately put down any of them who puts one toe over the line to make it clear that this is poo poo up with which will not be put.
That has literally never been the case in the Vth Republic. Or really any of the Republics that came before. Attack dogs running wild (with, possibly, some sort of geographic fence to pen them in with their victims) has been the name of the game from the get go. Which is why I don't have overly much respect for those who only noticed action hero cops were problematic vicious little nazi bastards in TYOL 2019.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So cops tazered a homeless man who was in the process of committing suicide, then shot him dead

quote:

L’homme s’était entaillé à plusieurs reprises les veines des deux bras, l’arrière des chevilles et à la gorge, lorsque les policiers et les secours sont intervenus. Les policiers ont tenté, en vain, de parlementer pour lui faire lâcher son couteau, avant de tirer au pistolet à impulsion électrique. Ce tir n’a pas permis de neutraliser le SDF, a précisé le parquet.

L’homme s’est alors levé et s’est dirigé vers un policier. « Un deuxième policier a fait usage de son arme de service à deux reprises », le touchant mortellement, a poursuivi le parquet. Les secours, déjà présents sur place, ont essayé en vain de le ranimer.

Maybe we should accept what we've become and apply to become the 51st state of the USA.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Suicide by cops is indeed the easiest way to commit suicide but, Jesus, look how hard the police is working salvage their image.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

Suicide by cops is indeed the easiest way to commit suicide

Even by that standard, they hosed up badly.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Even by that standard, they hosed up badly.
Imagine being the Emergency medical people who were already on site trying to save his life and had to witness the whole thing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Le jeu des 700 erreurs (regardez l'image complete pour remarquer l'arnaque ou tournez la à -90°):
https://twitter.com/ericwoerth/status/1160877899605561345

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm amazed that his follow-up comment is "the picture is real and not photoshopped". Master troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ah, of course the only reason he is brazenly trolling and lying is to google bomb mentions of his illegal poo poo.