Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just watched the first few episodes of the new She-Ra, this show is awesome. Haters have brain worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

somnambulist posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Troyavision/status/1146154816684679168

Omg this looks so bad. This can’t be real. Anyone know? Her voice acting looks like a dub over animal planet footage and sounds.......... terribad.

What was this? The original tweet is gone

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Guessing some Lion King poo poo

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Macaluso posted:

What was this? The original tweet is gone

https://youtu.be/TB8eEq33Z1Q

The clip in the tweet was the bit that starts at :06 in this one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

somnambulist posted:

https://youtu.be/TB8eEq33Z1Q

The clip in the tweet was the bit that starts at :06 in this one.

:chloe:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol I knew it was some Beyonce as Meechee bullshit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Recast Beyonce with Zendaya imo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
oh god lmao it looks :geno:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It looked like someone put CGI peanut butter in a CGI lion's mouth and poorly dubbed Beyonce over it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

somnambulist posted:

I.........actually kind of agree. Not that Sonic was ever going to be a good movie, but it’s one of those movies where you expect the worst (and it probably is) but you can laugh at how bad it is in a fun way.

What on earth is this voice acting and lack of emotion on their faces!? She’s saying something in an excited tone (poorly) and the face of her character is completely dead panned. I’m laughing so hard at my desk.

EXACTLY! I mean, at least when Sonic says "Uh...meow???" I can tell that it's Sonic who is talking instead of some phantom in the background.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Naw, you guys! Stunt casting is AWESOME!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Das Boo posted:

Naw, you guys! Stunt casting is AWESOME!

Who they cast shouldn’t effect if they can match lip movement. This isn’t a ps1 translation where the actor is supposed to match existing lip flaps

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

We had this poo poo nailed in 1995 with Babe. I feel like the lip syncing in George of the Jungle 2 was better, what the gently caress?!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Would it have killed them to anthropomorphise the faces even a little?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The_Doctor posted:

Would it have killed them to anthropomorphise the faces even a little?

I think they felt like they had to go photo-realistic with the models and with the way they animated them to be able to even halfway justify the movie's existence as something separate from the original. The problem is that making a photo realistic lion, whose face moves the way a real lion does, and then making it talk, looks weird as hell. It's a flawed concept right down to the foundation.

If they wanted to go this route, they really should have just gone dialogue free. That or just do the Homeward Bound approach.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 3, 2019

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The movie will still probably gross 2 billion dollars, but can you imagine “can’t wait to be king”, “Hakuna Matata”, and “Be Prepared” being sung without ANY expression in the faces? Half the fun was cute expressions, Timon’s moves, Simba prancing about with smug faces- all that is going to be gone.

I’m REALLY curious if they pulled it off but I’m like 99% sure this movie is going to be terrible.

Hopefully im wrong.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Don't worry, cause Be Prepared isn't being sung at all! :thumbsup:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Macaluso posted:

Wat? Really? :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about be prepared's status but the movie's going to be soulless and empty either way

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My prediction:

Lion King will gross more money than any of the other Disney remakes.

It will be critically praised.

It will actually kinda suck in a bland way, but the voice acting will be pretty good.

Everyone will forget about it within a week of watching it.

Everyone will remember it as soon as they can pre-order and/or buy the blu-ray

Everyone will forget about it again and probably never talk about it until we remake it in 2026.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Macaluso posted:

It’s listed in the new soundtrack, so I think it’s back.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It will actually kinda suck in a bland way, but the voice acting will be pretty good.

So far nothing they've showed has shown that.

Beyonce is just like a bland choice in general. And like okay with Timon and Pumba I can at least see Seth Rogan and Billy Eichner bringing something to the voice acting, though from what they showed I didn't think it's great. But John Oliver as Zazu? Huh? John Oliver feels like the most "recent famous celebrity" pick out of anyone in the cast to me.

I see that Keegan-Michael Key is in the movie as someone named Kamari. I have no idea who that is, but I can't help but feel if they treated this as a re-imagining instead of literally just taking The Lion King and making it live action, you could have a lot of fun with Key and Peele as Timon and Pumba. Their characters in TS4 are the only thing that interests me and will get me to see that film (eventually)

The_Doctor posted:

It’s listed in the new soundtrack, so I think it’s back.

Ah well I guess that's good. I'm sure this version will sound terrible though

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/Traditional2D/status/1146464912048152578

Ive been following this guy a bit

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Toy Story 4 was way better than I expected. It’s legit great and probably the best one, besides the original.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

somnambulist posted:

Wat? Really? :(

As much as people complain about these live action remakes being pointless because they're just the exact same movie again they also seem very resistant to the idea of anything being changed. The newest version is people being mad that the live-action Mulan is going to have a phoenix as her supernatural ally instead of a wise-cracking Eddie Murphy dragon even though they know literally nothing about it aside from its existence and the silhouette of a bird on their production logo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Macaluso posted:

So far nothing they've showed has shown that.

Beyonce is just like a bland choice in general. And like okay with Timon and Pumba I can at least see Seth Rogan and Billy Eichner bringing something to the voice acting, though from what they showed I didn't think it's great. But John Oliver as Zazu? Huh? John Oliver feels like the most "recent famous celebrity" pick out of anyone in the cast to me.

I see that Keegan-Michael Key is in the movie as someone named Kamari. I have no idea who that is, but I can't help but feel if they treated this as a re-imagining instead of literally just taking The Lion King and making it live action, you could have a lot of fun with Key and Peele as Timon and Pumba. Their characters in TS4 are the only thing that interests me and will get me to see that film (eventually)

Ah well I guess that's good. I'm sure this version will sound terrible though

Key and Peele as Timon and Pumba would have been loving awesome

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I see that Keegan-Michael Key is in the movie as someone named Kamari. I have no idea who that is

He’s one of the hyenas.

https://twitter.com/disneylionking/status/1146086165860114432

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

As much as people complain about these live action remakes being pointless because they're just the exact same movie again they also seem very resistant to the idea of anything being changed. The newest version is people being mad that the live-action Mulan is going to have a phoenix as her supernatural ally instead of a wise-cracking Eddie Murphy dragon even though they know literally nothing about it aside from its existence and the silhouette of a bird on their production logo.

Most of the people I know are pissed because all of the songs have been removed. Did they turn around that decision?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

almost like there's no way to win on a creative level when you're just cynically remaking your classic movies with no real driving idea or new spin on what will distinguish it from the original story

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Sleeveless posted:

I mean yeah, remaking it basically shot for shot but then removing some of the best parts in that decision would make anyone scratch their heads.

All that being said, If Be Prepared was made in this style, I can’t imagine it being very good anyway so......

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Wow this movie is going to definitely be...beige.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brother Entropy posted:

almost like there's no way to win on a creative level when you're just cynically remaking your classic movies with no real driving idea or new spin on what will distinguish it from the original story

Hey, gotta retain those copyrights somehow man. Why not make some coin off of it while you're at it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Can't wait for the "Home on the Range" live action remake

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Brother Entropy posted:

The Dumbo remake was almost entirely new stuff about a Walt Disney like showman trying to buy out the circus so he could use technology to cynically repackage it as a heightened spectacle and how it ultimately destroys him, it was very obviously Burton telling a personal story about how he felt about own success as well as the work Disney was having him do. It also had an insane amount of expensive practical effects in the form of all the huge ornate sets they built. But nobody really talked about any of that, they just snarked about how weird the weird-looking baby elephant looked and how it didn't have a talking mouse sidekick or racist crows.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

The Dumbo remake was almost entirely new stuff about a Walt Disney like showman trying to buy out the circus so he could use technology to cynically repackage it as a heightened spectacle and how it ultimately destroys him, it was very obviously Burton telling a personal story about how he felt about own success as well as the work Disney was having him do. It also had an insane amount of expensive practical effects in the form of all the huge ornate sets they built. But nobody really talked about any of that, they just snarked about how weird the weird-looking baby elephant looked and how it didn't have a talking mouse sidekick or racist crows.

Nah some people and critics talked about the weird sets and the whole metaphor you made. It's just that it was just not a good movie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Key and Peele as Timon and Pumba would have been loving awesome

Desus and Mero tho

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

doomrider7 posted:

Nah some people and critics talked about the weird sets and the whole metaphor you made. It's just that it was just not a good movie.

That message also gets undercut by the multimillion dollar paycheck Tim was given for making the movie.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

That message also gets undercut by the multimillion dollar paycheck Tim was given for making the movie.

That was the general problem and sentiment I remember from critics. Like yeah you're making this point about cynical cash grabs vs actual artistry and selling the slop to the public, but you're still getting a monster check cut in your name. I mean it still takes balls to make a movie giving a not so subtle middle finger to the guy writing said check so I'll give him that.

Lion King serves absolutely nor purpose though. Honestly I'd rather see Atlantis like someone mentioned some while ago. Black Cauldron, Lilo and Stitch, and Emperors New Groove would also not be bad to see.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 3, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Atlantis would've really benefited as a tv mini-series as I felt like the movie's running time made it weirdly rushed and not give most of the characters room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Black Cauldron

Please don't do this. Or, if you do, make the Chronicles of Prydain the way they were meant to be: silly, optimistic, and fun. I like the Black Cauldron, but it's nothing like what Lloyd Alexander wrote.