Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So in hearing what people have been saying about the healers it sounds like the breakdown is roughly:

-SCH is probably still the best healer overall, the nature of damage shields being what they are they will always be more effective than healing by big numbers or regen which can clip out once you hit max HP (not to mention the utility of front loading a shield to buffer against future damage)
-AST sill has the most versatility since they can swap between shield and regen aspect depending on what the other healer in the trial is, but seems to suffer in terms of personal damage. Cards are less RNJesus-y and more generally useful, but less interesting overall
-WHM seems to have MP efficiency on their side on top of the best damage dealing capability. Holy stuns will help on trash with the extra stuns to prevent damage from happening in the first place. Damage is sometimes a utility of it's own

Granted I've not played much healer since HW, but with the emphasis seeming to be shifting away from 'green dps' in the Shadowbringers content I wonder how the final balance is going to work out once people start getting their teeth into the meat of the raid content for this expansion. If any of the healing mains want to kick in I'd be more than willing to eat my hat if I'm completely wrong. SCH did seem to have it's wings clipped compared to how they were in Stormblood, but in terms of their capacity as a healer they still seem more than capable, especially if ShB healers are expected to spend more of their time/GCDs healing rather than adding their own damage.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep leveling my 60 SCH or if I want to pay to boost WHM or AST (currently 20 and 30 respectively). I wasn't ever terribly hot on SCH even back when I played in HW and I mostly did mostly for the 2 for 1 factor of having Summoner for DPSing (of which I also didn't really care for, so :shrug:). As of right now, I'm leveling through Stormblood MSQ on Gunbreaker and that'll probably be my main, I'm figuring either WHM or AST as a healer, and then probably MCH or RDM as my DPS of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I didn’t know about the cutscene change from patch 4.2 but I am glad. The last time I played I just quit the game entirely after that happened to me where I got lost and didn’t see any of the fights because everyone noped their way out of there.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Maybe they’re trying to make piety more valuable to caster DPS, I suggest with a totally straight face.

Also once I got more time in it, summoner got better, but I think it’s just too much for my old brain to deal with. I need to level red mage for my retainer anyway, so it’s cool. It has a lot of really cool stuff in it, but things like how aetherflow works for them now just feels like busywork to give you more apm and pretty vestigial to the cool part of the class (Phoenix and Bahamut)

Assuming you're at least somewhat serious, piety has no effect on non-healers.

I feel like at this point, summoner could lose energy drain/siphon and just have aetherflow work like lilies. Have it slowly build up over time in combat with charges. That'd cut down on some of the busywork. They also need to address the issue where double-weaving Egi Assaults/Enkindle tends to make the pet not perform one of the actions but your ability still goes on cooldown. Summoner really, really needs double-weaving with all its oGCDs (which is problematic for some players because of latency) and right now it's kinda hobbled because pets still don't really work perfectly.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Augus posted:

dropping TP bars is maybe the best decision they’ve made since dropping a moon on the world of 1.x
AOE all day everyday baby

Tanking is so much better now. I'm free to use my weak ranged attack when I'm forced to move and can do AoE rotations on a big pull instead of tabbing between single targets and then Flashing to conserve TP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Standard Finish buffs from 2+ dancers don't stack, right? I was in a trial last night where two dancers both made the SAM their partner instead of giving it to the other dps and that felt like a waste to me unless they knew something I didn't.

And the entire full party sans the dancers were partied with me so it wasn't like they queued up together ors something

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Countblanc posted:

Standard Finish buffs from 2+ dancers don't stack, right? I was in a trial last night where two dancers both made the SAM their partner instead of giving it to the other dps and that felt like a waste to me unless they knew something I didn't.

And the entire full party sans the dancers were partied with me so it wasn't like they queued up together ors something

I think it's like dragonsight. It will proc their own buff, but the target will only have the effect of one.

The first few dancers I grouped with in ShB didn't even have a dance partner. Amazing display so far.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think it's like dragonsight. It will proc their own buff, but the target will only have the effect of one.

The first few dancers I grouped with in ShB didn't even have a dance partner. Amazing display so far.

I don't know why you wouldn't have a dance partner. Hell, even when you're solo you can dance with your chocobro.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

rikki tikki tavi

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

At least when two dancers buff each other it looks like it stacks, you'll get two standard finish buff icons and everything. Whether it actually stacks under the hood I have no idea though :iiam:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've been doing Main Scenario roulette on dancer for levels/tomes and I'm disappointed I can't set a dance partner at level 50.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Super ethers are the highest current MP restorer in game, correct? With the new changes they're a flat 1400 or 1800 MP restore, they might need to be used a lot on RDM and SMN.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I missed the Noctis events by days. If they put the car and gear up on Mogstation I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Do they usually do that eventually with event stuff?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've been meaning to ask but keep forgetting.

Do I need to do anything differently if I'm someone's dance partner? Or do I just keep black maging away like normal?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Firstborn posted:

I missed the Noctis events by days. If they put the car and gear up on Mogstation I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Do they usually do that eventually with event stuff?

Stuff usually goes up in a little over a year after it's offered. It'll probably be like $30+ for the car alone because lol.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Saint Freak posted:

Stuff usually goes up in a little over a year after it's offered. It'll probably be like $30+ for the car because lol.

I just wanted to wear one cool glove. Ouch.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

WoL speak beaver.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Magil Zeal posted:

Assuming you're at least somewhat serious, piety has no effect on non-healers.

I feel like at this point, summoner could lose energy drain/siphon and just have aetherflow work like lilies. Have it slowly build up over time in combat with charges. That'd cut down on some of the busywork. They also need to address the issue where double-weaving Egi Assaults/Enkindle tends to make the pet not perform one of the actions but your ability still goes on cooldown. Summoner really, really needs double-weaving with all its oGCDs (which is problematic for some players because of latency) and right now it's kinda hobbled because pets still don't really work perfectly.

I was joking about it actually being good, but I assumed it'd be like Dhit for healers: you don't get it on gear, but it does technically work if you meld it.

SMN just feels super busy, like I'm constantly dropping plates and more keep falling from the sky. It detracts from the really cool stuff, like how awesome pulling phoenix out is and just blowing poo poo up, because you have to keep doing some of those OGCD things while you're in trances (as far as I can tell)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gruckles posted:

WoL speak beaver.

the power of the echo means that this is, in fact, 100% canon

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Gruckles posted:

WoL speak beaver.

Beaver related quest spoilers I guess.

Now that they're all beavers, I see one is labeled as a vendor but won't sell me anything. Will they eventually? I'm not done with that zone's quests yet, just unlocked the 2nd dungeon.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
It saddens me that even if you teleport to the Source when you're a ticking time bomb waiting to turn into a lightwarden that the game can't actually acknowledge it. It would have really cool to see people react to that particular circumstance but I understand why its basically not possible. :(

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Truth Quark posted:

It saddens me that even if you teleport to the Source when you're a ticking time bomb waiting to turn into a lightwarden that the game can't actually acknowledge it. It would have really cool to see people react to that particular circumstance but I understand why its basically not possible. :(

True, but I'm really glad they included it even if the game in the source can't acknowledge it. I feel like if they were less bold they would just not have that at all and go in a different direction.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Finished up the MSQ last night. That was a hell of a ride. I see they've thought of their excuse about how they're going to justify a peaceful Garlemald overworld ahead of time: we're liberating it from Zenos.

Time to powerlevel my gatherers and then my crafters.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

CuddlyZombie posted:

True, but I'm really glad they included it even if the game in the source can't acknowledge it. I feel like if they were less bold they would just not have that at all and go in a different direction.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I was expecting Ardbert to just immediately figure out that he can save us through whatever gimmick he has (I haven't gotten to that point in the story yet) but I am extremely happy they gave that story beat some more time to breath.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Your Computer posted:

At least when two dancers buff each other it looks like it stacks, you'll get two standard finish buff icons and everything. Whether it actually stacks under the hood I have no idea though :iiam:

If you are a dancer and another dancer partners you, you can get the buff from them plus your own. If you both partner someone else, it overwrites and they only get one.

a kitten posted:

Do I need to do anything differently if I'm someone's dance partner? Or do I just keep black maging away like normal?

Pretty much just do normal stuff. You should probably try to line your CDs up with devilment. But even if they're not partnered with you, you'll be getting the technical step buff, so you would want to do that anyway.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

So in hearing what people have been saying about the healers it sounds like the breakdown is roughly:

Sort of. Every healer has a rough baseline of effectiveness for raw healing and an area where they pull ahead. AST has a lot of HoTs that make them good at smoothing over persistent damage and has decent shielding that gives them versatility if they need it. SCH still has the best shielding and is unparalleled at dealing with single target damage spikes. WHM is ungodly strong at AoE burst healing with Confession, AfRapture, and Assize. I wouldn't really look at it as which healer is "best" anymore: SCH no longer has the best of all worlds, AST's cards aren't as ridiculously pivotal as before, and WHM has some serious DPS chops compared to the other two if you manage Lilies well.

For what it's worth, I think WHM is probably the strongest generic healer job for all content. Healing in pub groups is still largely about cleaning up everyone else's mess, and mechanics failures have gotten much more punishing compared to Stormblood, something that having comically strong AoE healing helps with. It's also still got the best and most efficient AoE damage out of the three of them, to the point that I've had yet to ever dip below 4k spamming Holy. The only things that really eat into your mana bar now are Medica/Medica II/Cure III and Cure II spam.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I made a Seifer outfit using best man stuff and Snow's coat so these chickenwusses know who the real breaker of guns is

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Has anyone else noticed tanks pulling like weirdos?

Most of my runs have been the tank will run up to a group, combo for 3 or 4 gcds, then abruptly run off to collect another.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

dropping TP bars is maybe the best decision they’ve made since dropping a moon on the world of 1.x
AOE all day everyday baby

Maybe a controversial opinion, but they could probably drop MP for RDM and SMN and it'd be fine. Currently, most jobs don't touch it at all, and while it's important for healers to have a finite resource, the only non-healer jobs that interact with MP in any meaningful way are PLD, DRK, and BLM. So keep MP for them and just drop it from RDM and SMN, who have their own specific resources already anyway (black/white mana and aetherflow, respectively).

I don't usually suggest making things more like WoW but that's one area where I think WoW's approach makes sense. Healers use mana, Arcane Mages use mana, and everyone else either has their own resource or just doesn't bother with a resource at all (including Fire and Frost Mages).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 3, 2019

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Truth Quark posted:

There's a sort of, maybe, possible justification for this.

When you restore night to Amh Areng after killing their lightwarden, Alisae mentions that the progression of Sin Eater transformation halts in all the afflicted at the quasi-hospital they store them at. Presumably you moving away entirely from the First and it's superfluity of Light would also keep it from progressing.

That's probably neither intentional nor sufficient but it's a story you can tell yourself to paper over the inconsistency a bit.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truth Quark posted:

I suspected this would be a plot beat in some shape or fashion, good to see my instincts for detecting Ascian plots weren't far off.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Most of my runs have been the tank will run up to a group, combo for 3 or 4 gcds, then abruptly run off to collect another.

Yes, and it's loving infuriating. I seriously cannot wrap my head around what logic's driving them to do it, but it's making me grind my teeth every time I pop Presence + Thin Air and have half of their durations wasted because the lizard part of the tank's brain suddenly snapped on. Either pull everything or don't, dude! gently caress!!!

I'm also wondering if they should make some gigantic popup display about interrupts appear on your screen every time you switch to a tank or ranged DPS for a week or so, because maybe one of the tanks/RDPS I've run with in the past week seems to have gotten the memo.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Just finished the MSQ. What a ride. Easily my favorite FFXIV story.

Final MSQ spoiler: I enjoy how Zenos is basically Goku But Evil.

All he wants is the best fight possible between himself and the WoL. He murders his own dad for potentially spoiling that fight, and now he wants us to wield the powers of two primal god things to fight each other because that would make the battle even more fun.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Riftling posted:

Just finished the MSQ. What a ride. Easily my favorite FFXIV story.

Final MSQ spoiler: I enjoy how Zenos is basically Goku But Evil.

All he wants is the best fight possible between himself and the WoL. He murders his own dad for potentially spoiling that fight, and now he wants us to wield the powers of two primal god things to fight each other because that would make the battle even more fun.

Between the Stormblood campaign and the Shadowbringers campaign I got really into Destiny 2 and all of it's lore, and drat if our Garlean buddy Zenos whomst I am extending this spoiler line to hide is not the biggest adherent of Sword Logic in Eorzea.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

I've had more dungeons than not where the tank decided to wall pull everything. Like, this is brand new content dude, chill out.

I'm the best motherfucking healer on Earth so I can handle it, but it's still stressful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Dancer question: While obviously you want to keep your dance buffs up at all times, is the actual dance finisher a dps loss or not? I mean, it's really strong but it also costs a lot of GCDs. So should I be spamming it on cooldown or just to refresh the buff? I'm too lazy to math it out myself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vermain posted:

Yes, and it's loving infuriating. I seriously cannot wrap my head around what logic's driving them to do it, but it's making me grind my teeth every time I pop Presence + Thin Air and have half of their durations wasted because the lizard part of the tank's brain suddenly snapped on. Either pull everything or don't, dude! gently caress!!!

Just had a run where tank grabbed a group, and stayed with it for a bit. Dropped star, ninja dropped doton, and summoner dropped their garuda thing. Tank just sprinted off afterwards.

CeallaSo posted:

I've had more dungeons than not where the tank decided to wall pull everything. Like, this is brand new content dude, chill out.

I'm the best motherfucking healer on Earth so I can handle it, but it's still stressful.

I don't mind the wall to walls. Only a couple hairy pulls right now unless the tank is wearing cardboard. It's just that they end up pulling wall to wall but don't commit after the first group and a bunch of cds are used.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Clarste posted:

Dancer question: While obviously you want to keep your dance buffs up at all times, is the actual dance finisher a dps loss or not? I mean, it's really strong but it also costs a lot of GCDs. So should I be spamming it on cooldown or just to refresh the buff? I'm too lazy to math it out myself.

I mean, using standard step and standard finish are both off GCD I believe, so you use two GCDs doing your steps for 1000 potency, so 500 potency per gcd average. Seems better than what you can nominally do with your regular rotation, not to mention it slaps a 5% bonus on everything you and your partner do after on essentially a permanent basis since it lasts 1 minute. Sounds to me like you should be dancing on cooldown every cooldown.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Clarste posted:

Technical finish is probably a net loss - not sure the increased potency over standard step is worth all those GCD's, so probably save that for big group damage pushes. Standard step is short enough that it seems worth doing on cooldown.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Meiteron posted:

There's a sort of, maybe, possible justification for this.

When you restore night to Amh Areng after killing their lightwarden, Alisae mentions that the progression of Sin Eater transformation halts in all the afflicted at the quasi-hospital they store them at. Presumably you moving away entirely from the First and it's superfluity of Light would also keep it from progressing.

That's probably neither intentional nor sufficient but it's a story you can tell yourself to paper over the inconsistency a bit.

Maybe but I’m not sure this would actually help considering you’ve absorbed five lightwardens worth of corrupted aether. Its definitely just a limitation of the game, which is understandable, it just would’ve been really cool to see changes in the Source as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ha, just had one of the pettiest moments I've ever seen in this game. I accidentally let a tank die on one of the first pulls of the 73 dungeon, and he waits until right before he steps through the exit gate at the end to type "ffs learn to heal." Come back here you coward!