Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope Biden’s disgusting son sees prison bars under Trumps DOJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The primary is far from over and we need to remember that going forward Harris will start to face a lot more scrutiny. Much like with Biden this is a painful but necessary part of the process: somebody has to actually go negative on Harris and start using her record against her. Arguably it is good that Biden is fading so fast that the real contest can begin, the one that pits woke washed neoliberal authoritarians against an insurgent social democratic grassroots movement. After all, it won't be enough for Bernie to win, he has to actually start salting the earth for future neoliberal candidates. The stretch goal here needs to be that whatever the outcome of the primary, the path to power for the Hillary and Biden style candidates is cut off permanently.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Hunter Biden is trash but listening to Trump supporters trashing him is just too infuriating for me to pay attention to any of it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Helsing posted:

The primary is far from over and we need to remember that going forward Harris will start to face a lot more scrutiny. Much like with Biden this is a painful but necessary part of the process: somebody has to actually go negative on Harris and start using her record against her. Arguably it is good that Biden is fading so fast that the real contest can begin, the one that pits woke washed neoliberal authoritarians against an insurgent social democratic grassroots movement. After all, it won't be enough for Bernie to win, he has to actually start salting the earth for future neoliberal candidates. The stretch goal here needs to be that whatever the outcome of the primary, the path to power for the Hillary and Biden style candidates is cut off permanently.

It helps that Biden still has enough time and resources to start hitting back at Harris. I think he's doomed, but hopefully he'll take her down with him.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Majorian posted:

It helps that Biden still has enough time and resources to start hitting back at Harris. I think he's doomed, but hopefully he'll take her down with him.

At some point the left of the party needs to find a way to confidently criticize the Clinton/Harris/Booker approach of woke washing neoliberalism through superficial appeals to diversity. That's not a critique you can wait on Biden to make for you. The neoliberals actually have to be defeated in open battle by a strongly articulated left-wing critique. That's a process that will take multiple cycles but the current direction of politics is toward ever greater polarization so the Bernie bros arguably should be able to lean into that and start driving all kinds of wedges into the centrist voting blocs, provided they're willing to risk burning down the party if the centrists won't cede ground.

Frankly the ideal spokesperson for this would be someone like AOC, and if she continues to avoid getting her hands dirty during the primary I'd say that is a serious warning sign that she's not the great new hope everyone thought she was.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's definitely something that really cant come from Bernie himself due to pre-existing narratives - it cant even come from his campaign staff, as any comments from, say, Turner or Gray will just be attributed to "Bernie's staff (which you should assume is white and male)."

It is not an optimal situation.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/JoaquinCastrotx/status/1146480839179603968

Should have run for senate here gdi

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Helsing posted:

At some point the left of the party needs to find a way to confidently criticize the Clinton/Harris/Booker approach of woke washing neoliberalism through superficial appeals to diversity. That's not a critique you can wait on Biden to make for you.

Oh sure, there's plenty that Bernie and the left have to be proactive on, and that's a big one. But Biden will fire back at Harris, and he will hurt her, mark my words. Probably not enough to take her down entirely on his own, but enough to help Bernie.

quote:

Frankly the ideal spokesperson for this would be someone like AOC, and if she continues to avoid getting her hands dirty during the primary I'd say that is a serious warning sign that she's not the great new hope everyone thought she was.

Eh, it's really early. I think she'll endorse before Iowa, but not before then. But I do think she'll endorse Bernie.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

That Castro twin IS running for Senate.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Is it just me or is Joaquin the handsomer twin?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

Trump was polling at 1% by this time in 2015 for gently caress's sake.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's definitely something that really cant come from Bernie himself due to pre-existing narratives - it cant even come from his campaign staff, as any comments from, say, Turner or Gray will just be attributed to "Bernie's staff (which you should assume is white and male)."

It is not an optimal situation.

It's not, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle. I do think it's a case that Bernie can make himself if he does it carefully and precisely, ie: "Company A flew a rainbow flag last month for Pride Month, but they don't provide X, Y, and Z benefits that LGBTQ+ employees really need." And "X, Y, and Z benefits" should be things that specifically target that community, not just broad things like wages, so that he's showing the community in question that he's actually paying attention to their particular needs.

Willie Tomg posted:

And Friend Ben was in the lead around then too, IIRC.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willie Tomg posted:

Source? Considering we are post-escalator anniversary that seems way wrong to me. I remember him taking off pretty much immediately, and then everybody spent six months assuming he would collapse at some point. I could be wrong.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It seems to me that Bernie's strategy is trying to stay above the fray and let the incredibly fractured crowd fight and burn each other down, while he keeps hammering on the issues as he has always done. I can see him pivoting a bit and really putting the screws on whatever runner up (warren, kamala, or buttigeg probably) pops out of the pack a month or two before iowa

Let the crowd divide and conquer each other down to a couple viable candidates, and then strike when the debate format is much more favorable to him. I don't know if its the best strategy though, especially since it gives Warren a chance to make her mark and steal his base

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Source? Considering we are post-escalator anniversary that seems way wrong to me. I remember him taking off pretty much immediately, and then everybody spent six months assuming he would collapse at some point. I could be wrong.

A bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one actually. Trump was at 6% at the beginning of July 2015. He started spiking around the 15th.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Pinky Artichoke posted:

No he is not? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2019/05/01/joaquin-castro-john-cornyn-us-senate-seat-texas/amp/

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

Trump doesn't even break the top 5 until mid-month, but when he does he begins the Trump Train and you can visually see him wipe out Bush, Carson, Fiorina, Cruz, and Kaisch in turn.

Majorian posted:

And Friend Ben was in the lead around then too, IIRC.

It was still Jeb! by this point but there was definitely a week apiece where people pretended to be extremely excited for friend ben, and for carly fiorina, and then a week or two where people were holding their noses for Cruz until new york city made fun of him so hard he dropped out.

Majorian posted:

A bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one actually. Trump was at 6% at the beginning of July 2015. He started spiking around the 15th.

yeah I was still thinking of June numbers where he was definitely totally underwater, still.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks, I’ve updated my internal timeline.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Yeah I got rused by the J-name twin thing. :rip:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1146475254300233728

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

strong Kasichmentum at the end tho

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Ugh. The DNC is really bent on keeping Gravel out aren't they.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Watch CNN hang a live camera over Marianne Williamswharever's empty podium a year from now for cheap shock value ratings, capstone's by her asking the alien-human hybrids to find Donald Trump's 30,000 missing JO crystals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that the core conflict simply can't be won this early. There are just too many older people who are incapable of perceiving politics differently than they've been taught.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Luckyellow posted:

Ugh. The DNC is really bent on keeping Gravel out aren't they.

I mean, if Yang and Marianne can keep making it up there and Gravel can't, it clearly says that he is a tier below the other meme candidates in terms of appeal

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, if Yang and Marianne can keep making it up there and Gravel can't, it clearly says that he is a tier below the other meme candidates in terms of appeal

Not really? Neither Yang nor Marianne have a message that is particularly threatening, while being directly and strongly opposed to imperialism is harder to deal with.

There's also an easier excuse to refuse Gravel (explicitly not being "serious").

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

Not really? Neither Yang nor Marianne have a message that is particularly threatening, while being directly and strongly opposed to imperialism is harder to deal with.

There's also an easier excuse to refuse Gravel (explicitly not being "serious").

Gravel's message isn't about imperialism, the Gravel campaign's message is these two teens really want to go on Chapo

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Helsing posted:

I suspect she will wait until the primaries are closer. There's no point in endorsements at the moment. She could use her media pull for quite a lot of enthusiasm driving, or negative coverage if she chose to do so. I would love to see her take on Harris's record.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
AOC is a year-old freshman house rep in direct ideological conflict with both the current speaker as well as those for whom the speaker is carrying the water--who are, to be clear: armed and organized white nationalists. I do not stan her like some do, but there is a compelling case to be made for her eating the elephant one bite at a time.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Majorian posted:

Eh, it's really early. I think she'll endorse before Iowa, but not before then. But I do think she'll endorse Bernie.
If she endorses Warren she's unironically canceled.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Ah, shoot. I must've heard old news.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If she endorses Warren she's unironically canceled.

:agreed:

Willie Tomg posted:

AOC is a year-old freshman house rep in direct ideological conflict with both the current speaker as well as those for whom the speaker is carrying the water--who are, to be clear: armed and organized white nationalists. I do not stan her like some do, but there is a compelling case to be made for her eating the elephant one bite at a time.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think some of her previous shittiness on issues like Israel and Venezuela were evidence of her trying to make nice with the party leadership. My hope now is that her recent actions and rhetoric, particularly on the concentration camps, reflects a break with Pelosi and other shitlibs.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

mcmagic posted:

An energized black vote could win it for her.

But why would there be?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Gravel's message isn't about imperialism, the Gravel campaign's message is these two teens really want to go on Chapo

you're a really lovely bernie supporter TBH. sure you wouldn't be more at home as a warren stan? She really likes american imperialism too.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
AOC is not going to endorse anyone until either Warren or Bernie drops, and then she's going to endorse the one of them who's left

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

A big flaming stink posted:

you're a really lovely bernie supporter TBH. sure you wouldn't be more at home as a warren stan? She really likes american imperialism too.
I wish I had brainworms so I could make posts this dumb too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Z. Autobahn posted:

AOC is not going to endorse anyone until either Warren or Bernie drops, and then she's going to endorse the one of them who's left

My thoughts as well

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I know it is Kamala but please let Trump take the bait

https://mobile.twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1146519830612389889

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

Both Bernie and Warren are going until March at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A big flaming stink posted:

I am sorry that I am not an enthusiastic fan of the epic Twitter account you follow.