Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, not quite ALL the rank 4's... Poor Leona. I'd also say Akali isn't particularly good one way or another.

akali kicks rear end but leona is kind of weak, for sure. guardians in general could use a buff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Akali spams spells faster than anyone else in TFT afaik so she interacts really well with items that reward that (eg Morello). But I think people overrate assassin comps!!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
assassin comps are good as hell, but they're also really, really swingy. you either burst everyone down immediately and win in seconds, or your dudes get CC'd and owned.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Kennen surprisingly good for a tier 3. With a deathcap and phantom dancer he worked as a assassin honeypot for me but the six yordle buff may have been a big part of that.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Kennen was really good even before the buffs, he’s probably the best T3 along with Ashe. And he’s an elementalist, so he goes with Brand, whose damage is listed as “whatever hp u got”

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Carecat posted:

Kennen surprisingly good for a tier 3. With a deathcap and phantom dancer...
Yeah I think a lot of champs would be surprisingly good with those

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think that tier 4 units are definitely way more powerful than their tier warrants for the most part, and that a lot of tier 3 and especially tier 5 units are worse than they should be, but character balance across the board is really bad so :shrug:

At tier 1, Garen is explicitly more powerful than Darius for no apparent reason, and Mordekaiser is outright worse than both presumably because of Phantom synergy. Tristana and Graves are kinda middling compared to most of the roster but I expect that they reasoned Gunslinger would be more powerful than a lot of the other synergies you'd build around one star units (noble, ranger, wild, etc.) so that's probably fine. Kassadin is really good on the right comp but not overpowered. Kha'zix is an early game super star but falls off really hard really fast and is only useful for holding up void synergy on a protect-the-carry comp (which is really good, so it's fine). Warwick+Nidalee is extremely strong. Fiora is horrendous garbage with the lowest hp in the game, among the worst damage in the game, a useless ability, etc. and is only even slightly useable because she's mandatory for Noble 6.

At tier 2, we have a few standouts in either direction but it's otherwise fairly well balanced I think. Notably, Pyke is overwhelmingly the best unit in the game on his own, with his synergies being mostly irrelevant and his ability being enough to put him solidly on any team in any situation without regrets, even at one star with no items. But if you give him a spear or two he suddenly obliterates any sense of balance and can warp entire fights around his mere presence. Beyond that, there's a lot of decent picks like Lulu who I feel like is perpetually underrated (she's basically a ranged cho'gath) and characters like Ahri and Lucian who can be centerpieces of their respective synergies. Elise feels really solid after her buffs though I suspect she will see a lot less play than she should out of habit due to her being so bad for so long. Braum feels really weak and is only there to give Glacial synergy. Zed feels kind of mediocre but that's assassins across the board. Rek'sai is kind of underwhelming, but I feel like Brawlers are underrated in general and she can always fill a spot to give Void synergy to a Draven/Ashe/Vayne/Nidalee/etc. if you can't get a cho'gath or you weren't able to get Kass or Kha past one star. Varus sucks, his ability takes way too long to charge. All the rest are in a decent spot I think.

Tier 3 is all over the place. Ashe is decent on her own and excellent in a glacial comp or alongside a ranger pile, and will often be the core of a team. Kennen, Morgana, and Volibear are all very solid players in their respective teams (Elementalist, Sorceror, Glacial) and have decent secondary synergies too, or are just fine on their own. Veigar is great if you upgrade him a bit and support him with a team. Aatrox and Katarina and Rengar and Evelynn are all okay for filling synergies and won't really underperform, though Assassins are in a weird spot where they can be entirely negated by good positioning, and building a team around them is extremely risky. Poppy is really bad unless you have 6 Yordle and then she becomes an unkillable juggernaut. Shyvana is really bad unless you have Aurelion Sol and then she's still kinda meh but makes him stupid good, she's also good for a Nidalee+Gnar team. I really dislike her current state because a unit that exists only for giving synergy bonuses and who doesn't do much of anything besides that feels bad. Gangplank is chasing Fiora for the title of worst unit in the game, he's terrible.

Tier 4 is mostly bonkers with a couple of exceptions. Cho'gath, Sejuani, Gnar are hugely disruptive aoe CC monsters with great synergies and even if you ignore the synergies pretty much any team wants them. Aurelion Sol is the cannoniest of glass cannons that deals disgustingly large amounts of aoe damage, and his fragility can be almost entirely negated by having a shyvana somewhere on the field to give him complete magic damage immunity. Surround him with beefy dudes and their team will be dead long before they can lay a scratch on him. Draven is similarly monstrous in terms of damage output but doesn't have the Dragon synergy, he's still the best ADC in the game barring synergies, easily, and if you support those he's terrifying. Brand is similar and helps make the beef to protect him with elemental synergy. His aoe damage is outrageous especially at higher ranks. Kindred is a solid support unit that can swing games out of nowhere. Akali and Leona are the only tier 4 units that are kinda mediocre, and even then they aren't even bad.

Tier 5 is even more disparate than tier 3 I think. Karthus and Anivia are lynchpins of their respective synergies with powerful effects that you absolutely want to include on those teams, but aren't particularly noteworthy without the synergies. Kayle is similar to Kindred, being great to compliment any powerful unit that needs protection while also having a decent synergy to use and respectable damage. Yasuo is pretty solid on any team that has a free spot and nothing specific it needs. Swain and Miss Fortune are okay but nothing special and not really worth being tier 5 units. They can fill the last spot in a team that needs their respective synergy or another decent aoe damage ability to throw on the pile.

Overall I think that tier 5 units need to be mostly brought up, a lot of the huge outliers in other tiers need buffing or nerfing to bring them more in line with the rest. Something needs to be done about how overwhelmingly powerful aoe cc abilities are, especially in tier 4 but also including Pyke and probably glacial synergy too. Pyke in general just needs to be nerfed, as much as I'll be sad to see him go. Dragon synergy is also extremely dumb, basically only existing to make one unit who is already extremely good into a monster for the low cost of using an otherwise ignorable unit. Shyvana should be buffed and Dragon should be nerfed, imo, and probably one or two more Dragon units added. Gangplank and especially Fiora need quite a lot of help, they suck extremely hard outside of providing Gunslinger and Noble synergies respectively.

There's also a whole lot to be said about items and how some units' viability lives or dies based entirely on whether you get the right items for them, but that's another topic entirely.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

Akali spams spells faster than anyone else in TFT afaik so she interacts really well with items that reward that (eg Morello). But I think people overrate assassin comps!!

6 set assassin comps are a bad idea TBH. I play a lot of assassins because it's usually easy to get 3 for the basic synergy early and they can carry a winstreak for a while. That said, Zed by himself is a murder machine. Pyke is one of the best units in the game. Your 3rd assassin should be a synergy - Kha'zix for void, Rengar gets Wild (especially if you get double spatulas and can afford 4 wild/3 assassins early) Kat is good late game if you are running Darius/Draven. Akali is only good if you can get all 4 ninjas, other wise Zed's easier to star up and does more damage. Evelynn isn't as bad as people think but demons just don't work well with assassin comps.

Your other synergy is imporant - Void should happen organically if you can get a Kass early, otherwise it's not going to happen. Wild is great and with rengar you can 4 if, making all your assassins attack faster. Ninja works well once you have all 4 but it will hold your Zed back so it's usually a late game pick up if no one else is going Elemental or Blademaster. Kat makes a good third if Darius is your meatwall, then you can grab Draven with imperial to just start blasting a people.

Brawlers - You don't have assassin brawlers, but it's a great synergy for your tanks. BC is rare to fight over, and he's frankly essential to beat all the people who are going for econ into 4 cost units - you grab whoever is next to their draven/asol/carry and then laugh as zed jumps into that square and one shots them. Warwick is just a good tank, especially with early brawler synergy, and he's good at killing entire front lines by himself if you get the base wild buff and put a hydra on him. Rek'sai is... not good, but she makes an intermediate brawler that you'll replace with Cho. Volibear can spit out aoe damage, and if you can get him glacial synergy by putting mallet on Zed or your other assassin not named pyke he can put out some CC.

That said, you absolutely need to put RFC on your assassin carry, otherwise a PD shuts you down. Pyke with a shojin is good, with 2 shojins is just stupid. You don't really want mana items on zed, he's usually killed everyone in a line in front of him by the time he can throw a star anyway. If you use Rengar he synergizes with Rageblade well but, you know, he's not a great character. He does get lots of attacks off in a round, though, and his ability forces them to re-target so he can stay alive, so if you run with volibear he's a really good choice for mallet. Assassins aren't overrated so much as they require pretty serious forethought to handle the last rounds once people start locking up their back rows, and most people don't think that far ahead.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I agree with all of this. tiagp

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Team Fight Tactics : "x is great!.. IF x"

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I wish they'd make tier 5 units better at 1star and slighly worse at 2star. I feel like by the time we get to 5th tier we shouldn't still have to get 3 of a kind for a unit to be good. I hate putting in 1stars and the only ones I ever do without regretting it is Draven, Kayle, and Yasuo (outside synergies, 1star brand is amazing when he comes with a golem). I'd love to see them make use of synergies more too. Like imagine Sejuani's ult scaled in targets based on glacial synergy. 2 targets max as default, then 4 at 2 glacial, 6 at 4 glacial, and how it is now (unlimited targets within the aoe) with 6 glacial. Maybe knight synergy could up the CC time. I kinda hate how especially CC 1star units are mega fragile units who find it difficult to get their ults off but if they go off it's still terrifying. Basically flipping a coin. Gimme a solid unit straight up, but make me have to put in more work than get 2 more to make it broken.

For assassins I like to take every assassin except Zed. He's good but Akali is better and you only want one ninja if not going for 4. Put a PD+bloodthirster on Rengar. Put a PD+bloodthirster/gunblade on Akali. Those items mean they can solo half a team each without magic damage or dodges getting in their way because they heal so much every crit and they take very little damage. Seriously try PD+lifesteal if you're thinking assassins are weak. RFC for Rengar and a Dragon's tooth for Akali is how I like to round it out so they can take out Pd stackers and AoE magic stackers easier. The main reason I prefer Akali is her spell helps her deal with PD unlike if you stacked rengar and zed which is stacking 2 pure autoattackers. If I get tears I throw them on Katarina along with any morello and/or deathcaps I get items for. I'd put shojin on pike but I rarely have swords to spare. After that grab gnar for wild synergy and the fact it's gnar, then cho'gath preferable, another gnar or sejuani if can't find cho. It works really well and I usually get first, 2nd once, and the only times I don't is when I gently caress it up midgame. I think the trick to midgame is to only go 3 assassins until you can go the whole 6 + at least 1 gnar/sej/cho. Until then just have "frontline" units on your backline, warwick +rek'sai probably being my favorite acting like a mini gnar+cho combo.

Rek'sai is way better than people give her credit for. She's one of the most survivable units and can be really annoying to deal with. I once saw a shojin rek'sai essentially solo carry Scarra through the midgame easy. It would literally do things like go 1v3 and win. Rek'sai's main problem is she doesn't really have a good comp to fit into and tier 2s are uncommon to build around in general as they're not plentiful like 1s or super powerful like 4s. I try to bring her whenever I have a warwick frontile instead of knights but have only managed once. She was good that one time though... until I replaced her with Cho.

Oh, it's worth noting assassins have enough damage just built into them. You want to build defenses or utility to cover their weaknesses. I see people running around with rageblades or infinity edges and it's like, your assassin is going to kill poo poo if it doesn't die and you've done nothing more than make it win more when it was already going to win.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 3, 2019

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

a really good post

I mean as far as state of the game goes, I can't disagree with this much. I disagree on blademasters/gunslingers but I'm starting to think that's my dumb gimmick. Blademaster is probably the best trait in the game IMO, but it's potentially so good that everyone who has it who isn't Yasuo is bogged down with low HP/Armor. If Blade of the Ruined King didn't exist they could afford to be buffed but then I couldn't get Blademaster Ashe or Vayne or Lucian or Graves and I'd be sad.

Rek'sai is confusing as hell because there's enough good Brawlers that she's straight up replaceable with Cho. Excited to see where this game lands once it has a full roster.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I mean I built a 3* bear, which becomes a 7 cost unit (I think?) regardless. He's pretty strong but he doesnt feel anything like a 5 cost natural and certainly didnt win me poo poo. Why the gently caress did I bother? Especially when you can build a 1 cost unit every game for cheap into 3* which will be much better for whatever reason. I know Im not a game designer or a mathmagician but Im pretty sure 7 is a bigger number than 3 or 5 and a 5 cost should not be outperforming a 7. If the power of a unit is not balanced around the cost, what is the point of cost on units (why not just remove it?) Is it just decorative to appear to be like AutoChess? What is the point of gold and saving it and getting it for wins, if higher gold does not offer higher power unless you have some items or a special comp or a special circumstance? If there is no guaranteed way to get items and good high cost units, why would you ever do anything but build overpowered 1 cost 3* units, especially since you have to overvalue consistency in a game full of rng? I know that Im not saying much more than "this game is a little imbalanced" and Im not even ranting despite (I knew 3* 3 cost wasn't going to do poo poo for me, despite team synergy because it's not currently broken tier unit) what it seems like but it is kind of comical, almost in some respects.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 3, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Even if it's bad I'll never stop making random people into Blademasters and then going full Blademaster just to see what happens.

Blademaster Kassadin is REALLY funny if he can get going. I gave mine a Dragon's Tooth and a Rageblade and it was super amusing. I wish I had enough room to give Kassadin all the items just to see what he'd be like.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Blademaster Kassadin is REALLY funny if he can get going. I gave mine a Dragon's Tooth and a Rageblade and it was super amusing. I wish I had enough room to give Kassadin all the items just to see what he'd be like.

I got a Kassadin with Double Rageblade last night and it carried me to the late game. What did I lose to? A Kassadin with THREE Rageblades. :psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I has a Shojin Sej just infinitely stunlock me earlier. That's the kind of stupid I can support.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

njsykora posted:

I has a Shojin Sej just infinitely stunlock me earlier. That's the kind of stupid I can support.

Hey I just got obliterated by a double Shojin Deathcap Aurelion Sol. Good times!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Another suggestion I've seen is to lower the chance of Tier 4 units at 6 so you have to get to 7 before you can reasonably get them. That'd make it almost impossible to race to 4s, you'd need to solidify a midgame with lower tier units and 2 & 3s would have more time to shine before 4s overshadow them. It sounds promising because I love how they made 3s drop earlier making some comps possible/manageable when before they weren't. Maybe make level 9 lower too to make stopping at 5-6 to fill out a strong lineup that you then run up to 9 to grab tier 5s a viable strat. Right now the strats are reroll at krugs or reroll at 6 and either way cap out at 7-8.

On the subject of early 3s I just got an early poppy and made super early knight 4. It's loving hilarious how tanky it is early. I stacked my Garen with PD+tooth+morello and he soloed whole teams through the early and midgame like he was pre-nerf. Literally my team was Garen 2, Mord 2, Poppy 1, Darius 1 (then +Vayne 2, then +Lucian 1) and I still won games against people with full 2stars. If you've got the 3 tier 1 knights and see an early Poppy you should probably grab her. It's so strong. I transitioned into rangers and it was very smooth.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 3, 2019

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
i dont think anyone really understands TFT yet. there is probably a ton of broken poo poo that no one knows about, like shojins reksai, etc

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

i dont think anyone really understands TFT yet. there is probably a ton of broken poo poo that no one knows about, like shojins reksai, etc

One of my first successful games was a void synergy with shojin reksai and two tanks items and she spent all her time underground healing up the damage dealt by the three people attacking her, it was insane and i haven’t been able to replicate it since.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I can’t figure out what to Econ to in early game. Tips?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Probably best way to learn econ is to always 100% play for interest at every point and spend >50 gold on leveling instead of rerolling. Then remember the times the greed bites you in the rear end and adjust your greed down at those points.

For a head start you typically can't push to level 7 doing this and will have to reroll at 6 at the latest unless really lucky. Another pain point is early on when you could sell your entire sideboard to get to 1 or 2 interest. If you're not strong enough doing that can screw you hard. Last pain point to note is at krugs where some players reroll to get really strong so you can't be complete paper, and you can lose at krugs themselves easily doing this if not careful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You, an absolute buffoon: "I should build smart unit choices like Sejuani and Cho'Gath and carefully spend my money so I have plenty of investment for the late stages of the game."

Me, an intellectual: "I wonder what happens if I make Blitzcrank into an Assassin AND a Sorcerer?"

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

You, an absolute buffoon: "I should build smart unit choices like Sejuani and Cho'Gath and carefully spend my money so I have plenty of investment for the late stages of the game."

Me, an intellectual: "I wonder what happens if I make Blitzcrank into an Assassin AND a Sorcerer?"

riot needs to make a gun item out of spatula so i can put two RFCs on volibear and make him a gunslinger

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

gently caress you riot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Midig fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 4, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Midig posted:

gently caress you riot.

I am confused by your anger here. Do you not like winning games? Riot's system judged the level of your team, and the level of their team, and is awarding an amount of LP appropriate to keeping you at a level where you have about a 50% chance of winning each game. Had Riot awarded you 80 LP instead of 8, you would now be surrounded by, and matched with, players qualitatively better than you, and you would not only face the displeasure of losing more, but also the immense emotional burden of knowing that it is you who made your team lose.

Oh how I wish I could hack my account to make every win award +8 LP and every loss -80.

yes you guys I know this isn't how matchmaking actually works; I am illustrating a point

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am a firm believer that you end up in the correct rank no matter what. You will statistically always gain MMR if you are better since you are the only consistent thing over a large number of games.

But in shorter terms, if I lost because of some bullshit like ADC or mid AFKing/trolling/intentional feeding that is out of my control, then I could have potentially lost more than I could have gained. I understand sometimes having 17 or 14. But 8? Waste of my time to be honest. Give me a harder challenge to prove I can win games against "supposed" equal skill players and gain more LP for each minute spent.

Midig fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 4, 2019

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Played my first game of TFT and I now understand why there are a billion cheat sheets for it. There was close to none contextual help in-game, so a cheat sheet is almost mandatory when starting out. Somehow managed to place third though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The funnest thing in TFT is the Blade of the Ruined King, watching characters just go nutso with their attack animations is the best thing ever.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Midig posted:

I am a firm believer that you end up in the correct rank no matter what. You will statistically always gain MMR if you are better since you are the only consistent thing over a large number of games.

But in shorter terms, if I lost because of some bullshit like ADC or mid AFKing/trolling/intentional feeding that is out of my control, then I could have potentially lost more than I could have gained. I understand sometimes having 17 or 14. But 8? Waste of my time to be honest. Give me a harder challenge to prove I can win games against "supposed" equal skill players and gain more LP for each minute spent.

every season there's at least one extremely vocal poster in this thread with these exact same complaints

the system is working as intended, you need to practice and get better

EDIT: this was season 8's "i'm not climbing as fast as i deserve" poster, enigma89

Super Librarian fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 4, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Midig posted:

If you are gaining 8 LP Riot believes you are playing against people of equal skill, if you were significantly better you would gain much more LP.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Midig posted:

No you're just really bad at this game and if you weren't 100% a silver player in some glaringly obvious aspect of your game play, whether it be cs/macro/tilting and chatting, you would climb almost instantly. Hahaha harder challenge holy poo poo

post replays and we'll all stroke your ego about how you definitely should be higher elo and the match making is broken

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lord_Magmar posted:

The funnest thing in TFT is the Blade of the Ruined King, watching characters just go nutso with their attack animations is the best thing ever.

turning them into a blademaster makes their attack animations change?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Caution, too much attack speed breaks characters. Your gunslinger, RFC rageblade Tristana will not work properly.

Useful patch notes website: https://lolchess.gg/patch-notes

Pyke Nerfed
Stun Duration: 2.5/3.0/3.5 >>> 2.0/2.5/3.0
Yordle Buffed
Dodge Change: 20/50% >>> 25/60%
Spear of Shojin Nerfed
We're fixing a bug that was causing Spear to still grant 20% mana on-hit.
Mana on-hit: 20% >>> 15%

Nice team comps website: https://tft.mobalytics.gg/team-comps

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Toxic Mental posted:

turning them into a blademaster makes their attack animations change?

Blademaster's perk is for attacks to have a chance to instantly hit again, so it can break some animations rather hilariously.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Carecat posted:

Caution, too much attack speed breaks characters. Your gunslinger, RFC rageblade Tristana will not work properly.

Can you elaborate?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

kingcobweb posted:

Can you elaborate?

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeamfightTactics/comments/c8u3ty/bug_my_hyper_stacked_trist_with/

It might be gunslinger specific?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ugh that sucks. Pretty much makes late-game gunslingers non-viable.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's related tot he hit everyone bit of their passive I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

abuse sorcerer locket while it exists its broke