Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude, Colorado.

It's like 10-30% humidity, our nightly lows are in the 50s or lower, the heat is on from 8am to about 7pm right now, with afternoon thunderstorms intermittently. The winters are not terrible either.

I mean, should you ever leave the DC area, the weather here is pretty great, occasionally weird, and I'm sure there's work to be had out this way, albeit probably not competitive to your pay now.

My AC is on like from 4-8pm. I still use my heat late at night, currently.

I would return if I could.

But alas, I am cursed to live out the rest of my life in this forsaken swampland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude, Colorado.

It's like 10-30% humidity, our nightly lows are in the 50s or lower, the heat is on from 8am to about 7pm right now, with afternoon thunderstorms intermittently. The winters are not terrible either.

I mean, should you ever leave the DC area, the weather here is pretty great, occasionally weird, and I'm sure there's work to be had out this way, albeit probably not competitive to your pay now.

Counterpoint: your car could get totaled by golfballs falling from the sky.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude, Colorado.

The first semester I was in CO, from Jan to May, it averaged 70° each day. We'd get snow early, it'd be gone by lunch. CO is awesome.

I don't mind heat- dry or humid. I can't deal with being cold.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

San Diego.

SF currently has a very nice submarine and a cargo victory ship.

Worth noting Hornet is across the bay in Alameda.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LingcodKilla posted:

San Diego.

Right, I WAS in san Diego when I toured a CV. I saw the submarine in SF but it looked sketchy and didn't go inside and I went to that "Musee mechanice" place beside the sub instead

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fister Roboto posted:

Counterpoint: your car could get totaled by golfballs falling from the sky.

It hailed on my way home yesterday. Dime size, but goddamnit, why the day after I get a car I like. No damage though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Having spent a ton of time sailing around the Pacific, gently caress tropical islands and gently caress the soul crushing humidity anywhere near the equator. That's the kind of poo poo that makes you question life decisions. Like when you get up at 3 am and can't make it 10 feet out of your door before you need a change of shirts because you sweat through yours already.

Give me the dry heat that kills everyone any day of the week. At least then I will die without feeling like I am slowly drowning because there is so much water in the air.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

LingcodKilla posted:

San Diego.

I don’t get cargo ships as museum ships. “Here’s an empty box, this is where the cargo goes. Here’s another empty box. This is where the crew lived, this is the bridge, this is the engine room. Here’s another empty box. At one point there might have been sacks in there! Isn’t this wonderful?”

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Worth noting Hornet is across the bay in Alameda.

is that where they keep the nuclear wessels?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I don’t get cargo ships as museum ships. “Here’s an empty box, this is where the cargo goes. Here’s another empty box. This is where the crew lived, this is the bridge, this is the engine room. Here’s another empty box. At one point there might have been sacks in there! Isn’t this wonderful?”

Presumably you put exhibits in the cargo hold?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

It's a Liberty Ship that was at D-Day,* so it's got a good amount of history to it.

*It is also the only ship that was at D-Day that's still afloat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Having spent a ton of time sailing around the Pacific, gently caress tropical islands and gently caress the soul crushing humidity anywhere near the equator. That's the kind of poo poo that makes you question life decisions. Like when you get up at 3 am and can't make it 10 feet out of your door before you need a change of shirts because you sweat through yours already.

Give me the dry heat that kills everyone any day of the week. At least then I will die without feeling like I am slowly drowning because there is so much water in the air.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to going to Singapore for work in August because it'll be slightly cooler and less humid than Maryland.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The sub is the USS Pampanito, very cool sub.

The ship is the SS Jeremiah O'Brien, she's the museum ship for the Liberty Ships. Her engine room is cool, they shot part of Titanic in there.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

The ship is not only afloat, it still runs. They take it for cruises on the bay, or up the river to Sacramento sometimes.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Madurai posted:

The ship is not only afloat, it still runs. They take it for cruises on the bay, or up the river to Sacramento sometimes.

Not only that, they drove the loving thing to Normandy for the 50th anniversary of D-Day. With no mechanical breakdowns.
It's a pretty remarkable boat that one.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a Liberty Ship that was at D-Day,* so it's got a good amount of history to it.

Wrong. USS Texas was also at D-Day and is still afloat.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm posting here, because you guys would be the only guys who get it.
I expected it, but I'm still disgusted that Gallagher got off.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

Wrong. USS Texas was also at D-Day and is still afloat.

Yeah but the sooner everything and everyone from, in, around, or named after texas dies in nuclear cleansing fire the better. I was really hoping harvey would finish off the texas

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'll reserve my rage for tomorrow when he's almost surely Donnie's guest of honor at the fash carnival

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm posting here, because you guys would be the only guys who get it.
I expected it, but I'm still disgusted that Gallagher got off.

Speaking of Gallagher (apparently the government's case was actually really, really bad and even the star witnesses were full of poo poo):

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1146496160837840897?s=19

Edit: here's a thread on the Gallagher thing from the Task and Purpose Editor in Chief. Basically, everyone involved is so hosed that the case didn't clear the reasonable doubt standard - especially with the prosecutors trying to snoop on the defense AND the government's witnesses sucking really bad. Trump should've shut up, but that's evergreen.

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1146178621117063168?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 3, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Before you laugh too hard at the test dummy trying to launch mortar shells off its head, we had a guy in my hometown go to the ER doing exactly that last year.

Less than an hour later somebody else from the same building, who had personally witnessed that incident, loaded one upside down and tried to fire it holding the tube against his sternum, earning an instagib.

Laugh at them.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

shame on an IGA posted:

I'll reserve my rage for tomorrow when he's almost surely Donnie's guest of honor at the fash carnival

He’s already tweeting your welcome.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

shame on an IGA posted:

Before you laugh too hard at the test dummy trying to launch mortar shells off its head, we had a guy in my hometown go to the ER doing exactly that last year.

Less than an hour later somebody else from the same building, who had personally witnessed that incident, loaded one upside down and tried to fire it holding the tube against his sternum, earning an instagib.

Laugh at them.

Lmao I loving remember that. Legendary

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Funny how easily people forget that fireworks are just funny explosives. I imagine that one of the shells that you can buy from one of the bigger stores is more powerful than a hand grenade.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Liberty’s are an amazing ship class. Most-produced (over 2700 hulls, more than any other ship class in history), fairly large (~440ft), and often became reefs after the war because their expected useful life was only 5 years. There are 2 sitting off of the coast of NC that were reefed in the 70’s, the Theodore Parker and Alexander Ramsey. They’d be phenomenal wrecks to dive if they sat in a place that had commonly had good visibility, but such is not their fate :v:

There was a Liberty named the S.S. Stephen Hopkins that got into a scrap with a nazi raider, and actually managed to sink it with their one 4” gun on the bow. Dudes got shot off of the gun, and a new gun crew rose to re-man the weapon while the gun tried to cover the rest of the crew’s escape. They landed a lucky shot that penetrated the deck of the nazi raider and landed in the engine room, disabling the ship completely and forcing a scuttle. For their efforts, 6 members of the Stephen Hopkins crew were posthumously awarded Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Crosses. A navy officer aboard the ship also picked up a Navy Service Cross.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Stephen_Hopkins

The survivors drifted for a month before washing ashore in Brazil. The engagement was on the return from the first run for the Stephen Hopkins.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQU4mjE2pQA

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Matt_D_Cohen/status/1146515148405911552?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I AM PROUD OF MY JOB AND MY VEHICLE/TANK

I AM GLAD TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

I WILL SMILE AND HAVE FUN

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stay. In. Your. Lane.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That checklist screams to me "you should go to DC and gently caress with the poor schmucks that are still in because they can't do poo poo."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Does that count being proud of the tank’s breakdowns?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

I hope a tank just rips the gently caress outta the roads, my 24 tonne machine does it to roads a bit when its this loving hot and it has rubber treads

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aren't tank treads designed to have really low surface pressure so they won't wreck roads?

I mean, if the road can handle the weight in the first place, but the pressure is less than is allowed by trucks, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_pressure#Examples
Wikipedia has a tank's ground pressure as only twice that of a standing human and half that of a passenger car so surely they wouldn't destroy the roads?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

good dogge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Aren't tank treads designed to have really low surface pressure so they won't wreck roads?

I mean, if the road can handle the weight in the first place, but the pressure is less than is allowed by trucks, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_pressure#Examples
Wikipedia has a tank's ground pressure as only twice that of a standing human and half that of a passenger car so surely they wouldn't destroy the roads?

Nah, the lower surface pressure is for when going over loose terrain so you don't sink.

It'll rip the hell out of roads, especially in turns.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had a weird dream that I assigned to a Humvee team as a gunner for the parade.
In my dream, I threw the Hate Mango a "Have you seen Kyle?" hand motion. I take meds to block dreams, so it's not all the details made it through, but I heard my old squad leader yell through the hatch, "Did you Nazi Salute the President?"
"Of course"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

the ground pressure is "low" but when you turn the edges of the tread will just rip into the asphalt and make huge gouges, especially if you cant make a wide enough turn to move the inside track when turning

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Road asphalt is actually pretty soft, in the grand scheme of things. It's not designed for 60 ton tracked vehicles, it's designed for cars and trucks, and even then they screw it up after a relatively short time.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

its super loving soft when it's this loving hot as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Road asphalt is actually pretty soft, in the grand scheme of things. It's not designed for 60 ton tracked vehicles, it's designed for cars and trucks, and even then they screw it up after a relatively short time.

Roads are barely designed for trucks as is. As a rule of thumb, weight relative to road damage is like a 4th power relationship. A 10 ton truck will cause about 600 times the road wear of a 2 ton car. This is based on axle weight and treads will distribute that some, but not nearly enough to mitigate the sheet weight of the things.

With enough planning you could probably pave parade routes to handle the load, but lol at that level of forethought coming out of this administration.

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: here's a thread on the Gallagher thing from the Task and Purpose Editor in Chief. Basically, everyone involved is so hosed that the case didn't clear the reasonable doubt standard - especially with the prosecutors trying to snoop on the defense AND the government's witnesses sucking really bad. Trump should've shut up, but that's evergreen.

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1146178621117063168?s=19

I don't understand how the prosecutors hosed up this badly. If it really was as simple as "offer to testify in exchange for immunity, then take credit for the crime" there's no way anyone with a friend would ever get convicted of anything. Surely there are procedures in place to prevent this extremely predictable scenario - if nothing else, how is this not a slam dunk murder case against the guy who testified to killing the kid?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 3, 2019