Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
is there a good smart lock that doesn't require me to change the lock and work with home kit/homebridge? I was looking at the August non-pro but, i can't find a good/maintained homebridge plugin for it, so I guess I have to get the pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I have the August and really like it. Its been discounted recently and i got it plus the connect for $180.

Install is super easy. It replaces the knob on your existing deadbolt but uses the same lock so youre not really changing anything. My door tends to be hard to lock so I was worried about it working but its fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was looking at the Yale one with the homekit module but it was kind of pricey. Also my door has a lock on the knob as well and I feel that is more secure than just a deadbolt (although the door frame is probably the weak point - if someone wants in they’re getting in)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Keystoned posted:

I have the August and really like it. Its been discounted recently and i got it plus the connect for $180.

Install is super easy. It replaces the knob on your existing deadbolt but uses the same lock so youre not really changing anything. My door tends to be hard to lock so I was worried about it working but its fine.

I have two of the August Smart Lock Pro's and my only gripe is the auto-unlock feature doesn't unlock the door fast enough. Sometimes it takes 3-4 minutes before it detects that I am home. That and the interface is pretty clunky with two locks, having to use a dropdown menu to switch between them. Show me controls for multiple locks on the same screen!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do they integrate with Home Assistant?

If so, you could easily make a screen that has both locks on the screen at the same time.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I recently discovered Wyze cameras. $25 security cam with (at least to me and my uses) great image quality. But the reviews say it phones home to China and their "free" cloud storage is questionable since that has to be paid for somehow on their end and I can't imagine profits from cheap cameras would do it. Is going down this road of cameras worth investigating? I was thinking of dipping my toe in since they're so cheap and I could throw them up in a few spots but if it turns out to be security risk I'd rather go with something else.

https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wireless-Camera-Vision/dp/B076H3SRXG

I know Apple is supposed to be providing better infrastructure in the next iOS release for Homekit cameras, so I don't know if it would be something worth waiting for that.

I need to dig through this thread to see if folks have been talking about this, it's been a while since I kept up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Violator posted:

I recently discovered Wyze cameras. $25 security cam with (at least to me and my uses) great image quality. But the reviews say it phones home to China and their "free" cloud storage is questionable since that has to be paid for somehow on their end and I can't imagine profits from cheap cameras would do it. Is going down this road of cameras worth investigating? I was thinking of dipping my toe in since they're so cheap and I could throw them up in a few spots but if it turns out to be security risk I'd rather go with something else.

I know Apple is supposed to be providing better infrastructure in the next iOS release for Homekit cameras, so I don't know if it would be something worth waiting for that.

I need to dig through this thread to see if folks have been talking about this, it's been a while since I kept up.

I don't use them or know much about it, but there's open source firmwares you can flash to those to make them do other stuff. I assume they also disable any phone-home functionality.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Violator posted:

You can get an rstp stream out of it with this: https://github.com/openipcamera/openipc-firmware

I have one (going to my BlueIris DVR) and it's........about what you would expect for $25. IR doesn't work properly with the new firmware ("night mode"), which isn't much of a loss because it just doesn't work that well anyway. It's obviously an indoor camera so it's not weatherproof.

Spend $65 on a ReoLink dome camera and throw it on a non-internet accessible VLAN.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Violator posted:

I use this firmware on my Wyzecam clone: https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

It works great and integrates with Home assistant for both RTSP streaming and MQTT for control.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Slash posted:

I use this firmware on my Wyzecam clone: https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

It works great and integrates with Home assistant for both RTSP streaming and MQTT for control.

Does night mode work with that?

I've considered trying Wyze out with dafang a few times but never got around to it.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Does night mode work with that?

I've considered trying Wyze out with dafang a few times but never got around to it.

I think so, what does night mode do? These are the MQTT topics/switches that you get:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Night mode is IR on, switch to B&W.

Confirming it's working would be as easy as checking the camera when it's in a dark room. If all you can see is black it's not working.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Which system is the beat for home automation?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

:hmmyes:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Piggy Smalls posted:

Capitalism + domestic labor IMO

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
wtf i got the apple TV to do automation and control everything remotely, but when i accidentally clicked on it in the airplay menu, the drat thing just took over my TV and started playing music automatically, even though it is absolutely not connected to my TV. i assume this is some CEC magic going on in my receiver, but i was stumped for a solid five minutes after the ATV display came up

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TenementFunster posted:

wtf i got the apple TV to do automation and control everything remotely, but when i accidentally clicked on it in the airplay menu, the drat thing just took over my TV and started playing music automatically, even though it is absolutely not connected to my TV. i assume this is some CEC magic going on in my receiver, but i was stumped for a solid five minutes after the ATV display came up

There was a firmware update this year at some point that enabled airplay support in a lot of namebrand TVs. I . . . don't totally get the point but hey.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Rick posted:

There was a firmware update this year at some point that enabled airplay support in a lot of namebrand TVs. I . . . don't totally get the point but hey.
the easy CEC connectivity is actually pretty cool. i have the ATV hooked up to the receiver via the Stream Box HDMI input, but the CEC is smart enough to send the ATV video to the TV and the ATV audio to the main 5.1 setup without changing the receiver input from TV mode.

i was gonna run this thing headless, but the airplay on my receiver can be spotty, so i’m just gonna use the ATV for airplay

It Really Just Works!(tm)

tk505
Oct 30, 2011
Hello all, UK gooner here.

tl:dr - I need help finding a UK available smart lock that'll operate a multi-point lock and can be opened from off-site via an app (and preferably work with Alexa/IFTTT and the Ring app).

So I'm just coming out of a well overrunning house refurb and... oh ho would you look at that... it's Prime Day in a couple of days. May as well get moving on some of my home automation plans.

I already have several Echos around the house so I'm getting a Ring Doorbell 2 (or pro) as now they can make all the echos chime (handy as I have a detached garden room with an echo in it).

I'm also looking at getting a smart lock for my porch (to unlock for deliveries and such when I'm off site). Problem is it's a upvc door with a multi point lock. So I'm a little more unsure as to which smart door locks will work with that kind of lock.

Does anyone know if only certain smart locks will work with my multi-point lock? If so, which ones and how to tell?

Preferably (but not necessarily) it would work with my echo plus zigbee hub. However if I have to get a separate hub it's not a deal breaker.

As an extra credit... I'd really like the lock to be compatible with Alexa or IFTTT so I can ask the door to unlock. Also a bonus would be if the smart lock's app was compatible with the Ring app (this lets you launch the app from within the ring app during a "call" with the doorbell... just a time saving feature really).

Ordinarily I'd take my time and do the research but with Prime day looming near and me working days/decorating nights I'm fast running out of time (and brain capacity). Hence I am here noble goons, to plead for your knowledge.

Thanks in advance and any help really appreciated!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What's the go-to camera recommendation these days? I like the Arlo Pro 2, but I'm intrigued by the Wyze cams mentioned above. Has to work with Google Home. Is it basically a choice between high subscription fees/China is watching, or setting up a cumbersome system on my own?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Omne posted:

Is it basically a choice between high subscription fees/China is watching, or setting up a cumbersome system on my own?

Yep.

I'm currently running Arlo, Nest, Canary and some IP cams. The Nest cams are by far the least fiddly and most reliable option.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Thermopyle posted:

Yep.

I'm currently running Arlo, Nest, Canary and some IP cams. The Nest cams are by far the least fiddly and most reliable option.

I have 3 nest cameras outdoor and indoor and never think about it. It beeps when it sees something and gives me a small picture I can see and decide if I want to enter the app to take a closer look. It’s pretty idiot proof.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have been eyeballing the Logitech Circle 2 cameras as they work with Homekit and are well reviewed.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
^^me too, but Best Buy is out of stock which seems weird for a major manufacturer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

^^me too, but Best Buy is out of stock which seems weird for a major manufacturer.

Bestbuy has pretty nice sales on a package with 2 cameras and the window mount which is about 40% off buying them separately, keep an eye out for that. At least in Canada.

Whenever they have it I go “I should get that!” Then forget to go get one, dammit. They just had it last week too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

Yep.

I haven't investigated too much but it's my understanding that there is some hacked Wyze firmware that turns them into generic IP cams to integrate into local DVR software?

Anyways, we have 3 Wyze Cams connected to our 5 Google Assistant displays and we are pretty happy, it does take a long time to load the stream on a display though.

If Wyze comes out with a <$80-100 outdoor solution I will probably do a 360 degree view of the house if I don't break down and put a higher end system first.

Pro-Tip: If your mother is house sitting, even if you fully disclose the cameras and offer to disable them during her stay, she will not enjoy tips on caring for your 4-legged companions based of viewing the cameras.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 16, 2019

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I've had some issues with artifacting on the custom firmware.

I personally would just spend a little more money for an out of the box solution.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

priznat posted:

I have been eyeballing the Logitech Circle 2 cameras as they work with Homekit and are well reviewed.

I have 3 setup around the exterior of my house and like them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I have 3 setup around the exterior of my house and like them.

Wired or wireless? If wired going to outdoor power plug USB adapter or feed them inside?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
All wired. I drilled holes and ran wiring into my attic/garage. I have the extension accessories for two of them to give me a longer run as well. The hole to run the wiring has to be slightly more than 1/2" to fit the USB plug through, which sucks, but after you caulk it up it's not too bad looking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, yeah feeding a USB plug through a drill hole would not be too big of a deal.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'd rather run some wired POE cameras at that point.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

priznat posted:

Nice, yeah feeding a USB plug through a drill hole would not be too big of a deal.

Just curious, and tangentially related, show is USB over Cat 5e/6/7 these days?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, and tangentially related, show is USB over Cat 5e/6/7 these days?

dongles from monoprice etc that are good for 150feet for like $13!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6042

In the case of the circle 2 all it needs is power. They should have made the cable micro USB imo with a plug on adapter for regular.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I noticed my porch light always goes off when the paper guy drives by. It isn't even pointed anywhere near the street. Can he have something on his car (it's a Toyota Sienna) that sets it off? Not a big deal, just thought that was funny.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Curiously, there was a guy who used to come to the office in a Toyota Hilux that knocked the WiFi out. Never looked in to it, but it was too consistent to just be coincidence.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Cars can definitely have substantial EMF interference, especially if they are older, or have some particular problem. I'd be surprised for it to be that consistent in its effects, but it's no impossible.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything like the Wyze/Arlo/Blink style of wireless cameras that does not require an internet connection?

Need to install some cameras in my mother's fairly rural house that has slow internet.

She's fine doing everything via an app or whatever, but I can't have cameras streaming 100% of the time as it'll kill her connection.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there anything like the Wyze/Arlo/Blink style of wireless cameras that does not require an internet connection?

Need to install some cameras in my mother's fairly rural house that has slow internet.

She's fine doing everything via an app or whatever, but I can't have cameras streaming 100% of the time as it'll kill her connection.

The Wyze cams store to cards and only upload video for event detection/live streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Installed a TP-Link HS-200 switch to replace one of my dead ZWave switches.. I think I like it better than the ZWave switches. Cheaper, takes up less room in the switch box, uses pre-attached pigtails for wiring. I also like the soft glow circle behind the switch plastic that acts like a nightlight when the switch is off.

Additionally, Home Assistant can control it locally without any cloud stuff.