Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I forgot about this thread for a bit and ended up making too many levels, so here's the whole batch.

Shred End 997-KJN-TSG - A verticle auto scroller about blades and spikes.

Snake Block on the Clock YPG-VRB-31H - A remake of an older MM1 level where I can finally use the Snake block properly.

Air Lair 91H-WL2-J4G - A simple Cloud level with parachutes and wind blowers

Race Space M8X-14B-V6G - A multiplayer focused level where you race to the finish

The Dark Lark H60-CVF-NRF - My most atmospheric level, take your time through this haunted mansion

Pleasant Plant Path 5MC-LYD-TMF - A level I created using a limited set of parts, it's fairly easy.

Just Jump! 91R W04 5VF - An On/off switch course....where you don't need to hit the switch to advance

Cloudy Chaos 760-47P-XVF Another Cloud level, it's a little unfocused mechanically but it should be a decent romp.

Fireball Fracas KPT-DG0-24G - I studied a NSLU level in the creation of this course, and wanted to make another level in NSMB style

Backtrack Battlefield S24-Y1W-KKG - My newest course, it's a bit difficult but fairly doable.

Let me know what you think of any of these levels, and any critique is appreciated! Some of these courses have had some changes already, so additional feedback is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Random Stranger posted:

Communication in Mario Maker is hard.

I showed my friends my level where I used tracks to show the minimum and maximum water marks, and they became obsessed with the idea that it was hiding a secret.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Theres only so much hand holding you can do without making it an autolevel. Build signs to what you think the ideal player of your level would be able to understand. If you leave a coin trail and people derp and dont follow it theres not much to be done for it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

Anyone have suggestions for how to signal that a block is required? (Key or a specific powerup that is needed). I used a lot of arrows in my last level. Maybe throw it in an unattainable block above? I haven't seen that often.

Nintendo usually uses three main strategies:
- make the block stand out by putting it apart from the rest somehow in a way that signals its importance. For example, the classic "two ? blocks below, then one ? block above" pattern that appears in SMB1 1-1 and many others
- draw the player's attention with coins
- put the block right before the thing they need the contents of the block for. that way, when they figure out they can't progress normally and go searching for the solution, your block will be right there

If something is absolutely required to progress, I'd recommend the third approach as much as possible. It's hard to induce speedrunners to stop and hit blocks with just visual cues, since they're actively working to skip as much as they can in order to cut seconds off the clock. But if you outright stop someone from progressing forward, they'll naturally assume there's something they're supposed to find and go search the nearby area.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

I forgot about this thread for a bit and ended up making too many levels, so here's the whole batch.

Shred End 997-KJN-TSG - A verticle auto scroller about blades and spikes.

Snake Block on the Clock YPG-VRB-31H - A remake of an older MM1 level where I can finally use the Snake block properly.

Air Lair 91H-WL2-J4G - A simple Cloud level with parachutes and wind blowers

Race Space M8X-14B-V6G - A multiplayer focused level where you race to the finish

The Dark Lark H60-CVF-NRF - My most atmospheric level, take your time through this haunted mansion

Pleasant Plant Path 5MC-LYD-TMF - A level I created using a limited set of parts, it's fairly easy.

Just Jump! 91R W04 5VF - An On/off switch course....where you don't need to hit the switch to advance

Cloudy Chaos 760-47P-XVF Another Cloud level, it's a little unfocused mechanically but it should be a decent romp.

Fireball Fracas KPT-DG0-24G - I studied a NSLU level in the creation of this course, and wanted to make another level in NSMB style

Backtrack Battlefield S24-Y1W-KKG - My newest course, it's a bit difficult but fairly doable.

Let me know what you think of any of these levels, and any critique is appreciated! Some of these courses have had some changes already, so additional feedback is welcome.

Don’t forget to add them to the spreadsheet.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Anyone have suggestions for how to signal that a block is required? (Key or a specific powerup that is needed). I used a lot of arrows in my last level. Maybe throw it in an unattainable block above? I haven't seen that often.

If its a specific power up you could always cheat and put it on a track instead of in a block to make it unavoidable.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Tried my hand at a 'modern' style Mario level with a unique mechanic that gets more complex and difficult as you get into the level. Feels like I have a lot of development space with it and I might make similar courses depending on feedback.

Misfire Marsh 1 - XSQ 951 5MG

This was excellent.

dudeness posted:

Thwomp and Chomp's Big Day Out
S43-D7J-HYF

A gimmick I used briefly in a level I made in Mario Maker 1 but I made it into it's own level. Mostly made it to get a handle of the new interface, but I think it's okay.

I had to throw in the towel at the underground part after the first checkpoint. Cool gimmick, but too difficult for me. There may be a little too much nonsense on the screen at a time in places.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm slowly working on a Super Leaf Flying course and the gimmick is that you start with a ? Block with a leaf and enough room to fly. You can explore and advance from there. Every plateau you can land on will have enough space to fly or let even small Mario advance to the next take off stretch with a new ?. If you get hit mid flight you're almost guaranteed to die.

That's my rough draft at with maybe the first two screens even addressed since I spent a lot of time putting wings on things to study their behavior before I started. Open to any ideas you'd want to see for this concept or if you think "I can't make this jump, but here's a leaf and enough room to dash to flying, ok I got it."

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Submitting this level for the Switch Jam:

The House on Bombcircle Mountain
G14-QL4-CYG

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 4, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

time to make the worst course ever for switch jam

https://twitter.com/zaserbait/status/1146499567988301825

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Is there a way to get switches to default to off in the 3D World set? The switch uses are pretty limited, but I hoped I could block of an area with the moving block until a switch was hit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't change how the Switch itself starts but you can change what state the block starts in, I think

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

If a powerup is required to progress through the course, consider having it get pooped out of pipes so that the player doesn't lose it if they get hit, which would force a restart.

Losing a life because you fell in a pit is one thing, but having to kill yourself because you touched a goomba thirty seconds ago and now you don't have the tool you need to get through an obstacle that you didn't see coming just feels lousy, and players *will* quit the level if they're faced with that.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Made my switch jam level, it's super basic but hey it's my second level so

https://twitter.com/JunpeiHyde/status/1146507882520670208

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are so many levels titled Mario Kart *something* and they're all nearly the same.

Which theme has a space-like night mode? I'm thinking of a Star Citizen level...

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

There are so many levels titled Mario Kart *something* and they're all nearly the same.

Which theme has a space-like night mode? I'm thinking of a Star Citizen level...

The Kart gimmick is neat, but I don't think there's a lot of design space really. I don't think it can be done much better than it was in the story mode examples, anyway. More than anything, it works as a break in an otherwise unrelated level, rather than a level unto itself.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I downloaded a bunch of goon levels for a DMV trip. Here's what I thought while I waited for my number to be called.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hello all...let me know what you think of this. I called it...

Maio the Roguelite
Y90-B5S-T8G

A few things:

1) Trigger warning big bowser.
2) I wanted to see if I could create a level that the payer could take different types of power ups and beat the boss but also seem fair? I don't think its too challenging but the fun is playing with the power up combos.
3) I wanted to include a way to have players get coins to get a hidden star but couldn't make it work.

Enjoy?

This stage is a mess. I jumped over your barricades and I kept going in the puzzle areas backward. If you want to do a level like this you need to think about how you're isolating things and locking people out. The cape lets people through yellow blocks without a p-switch, for example. All of the styles except SMB1 let the player steal things like p-switches, POW blocks, and springs to take them to other locations. Yoshi lets people jump much higher if they're willing to abandon him. Players will never only engage with your levels the direct way so you need to take the other possible options into account.

Also, you need to have something behind your pipes and default length snake block is the worst way to use the snake block.

Circle Nine posted:

First level of Mario Maker 2 is done. Took about an hour get it cleared for submission, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Ran into issues with maxing out on enemy placements in the sub area as I was trying to have Munchers on top of Monty Moles who'd jump up under you during the jumping sections which is definitely a more fun design, but ended up just going with spike blocks to get the same effect for what the jumps would be but also a bit more boring. Freed up resources for a second area in the subsection where I was able to get Rocky Wrenches in instead.

Also learned that a way to get around enemy placement cap is to just use red or yellow warp pipes to get an area flooded if needed. And stacking moles on moles is good and I love Monty Mole, he's a good friend.

I tagged it as a standard level on the spreadsheet, because while there is precise jumping and some confined areas with enemies I don't think it bleeds over into kaizo type territory?

Mole Holes

957-V61-1WF

I'd appreciate feedback anyone has!

Okay, speaking as someone who ran into the enemy placement limit yesterday, you need to think hard about what you're doing if you run into it. Your encounters better be carefully constructed with plenty of mitigation to the player or all you have is a mess.

This stage needed about one-third as many enemies. The one block jumps with no view of what's coming up were also a problem when a player could be landing on a wrench with no way of knowing as they start the jump.

Vookatos posted:

Hi everyone!
I made my very first Mario Maker level. I tried doing something in the style of Mario 1, but with more verticality.
It's called Bill Town USA because I put many bills in the level

MJ6-N4J-WVF

Also, I made it before seeing all the advice, so it's probably super rough. And for some reason it didn't save the tweaks of the final version. Guess I did something wrong, so there are a few questionable things. Still, I think it's playable and not awful?
Hope you enjoy it!

This one was nice. Though it got a bit busy, it felt more like rough edges than any real problem (see the spot where you have three cannons around a mushroom; it's a little too crowded right there). Over all, not bad with a good mix of challenges.

Jawdins posted:

5W3-QGL-C2H

Here's my first go at designing a level. I tried to keep it simple and traditional but I didn't know how to end it. Anyway, if anybody likes it or has an idea to tack onto the end let me know. I'll probably come back later and change it up.

This is a weird mix. The Banzai Bills make for some painfully precise platforming at the start, then it goes down to being relatively simple (well, kind of mid-range Mario stuff) before escalating again. Consider building a level so that you gradually ramp up the challenge as the player goes.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Tried my hand at a 'modern' style Mario level with a unique mechanic that gets more complex and difficult as you get into the level. Feels like I have a lot of development space with it and I might make similar courses depending on feedback.

Misfire Marsh 1 - XSQ 951 5MG

So after clearing 130+ user levels I'm kind of tired of stages where a shell bounces the on/off switch to control platforms. You put a great twist on this by creating pulses. I appreciated the fact that there's an extra challenge at the end for those who want it or just the goal for those who want to go. Great stage.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

Slowly getting there.

I like the levels here a whole bunch more than anything in the endless runs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Just so everyone knows, "マリオカート" in the level title is a bad sign.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What should we do if a spreadsheet entry isn't a valid code? I just tried to enter HQ6-LGH-18G, but it doesn't exist.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Random Stranger posted:

Just so everyone knows, "マリオカート" in the level title is a bad sign.

Speaking of which, someone on Reddit made a list of common Japanese terms used in SMM levels

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c7mspp/psa_japanese_terms_to_know

Might be useful

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

guppy posted:

What should we do if a spreadsheet entry isn't a valid code? I just tried to enter HQ6-LGH-18G, but it doesn't exist.

I mean some people delete theirs, I just move on and don't worry about it? Sometimes people don't tell the OP and just add the updated code back onto the list, there's been a couple of stages I've played twice because the creator updated between when I played the first one and when I got to the second one.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Junpei Hyde posted:

Made my switch jam level, it's super basic but hey it's my second level so

https://twitter.com/JunpeiHyde/status/1146507882520670208
Cave of Switches DSD-S41-SSF
After the P switch, I messed up my jump and wound up on top of the on/off, this was recoverable (I didn't) It happened a second time as well, something is wrong with that jump, maybe move the on/offs up a tile? Maybe move the P switch closer to where you need it, carrying it around felt bad, because of all the MM1 flashbacks.

More Reviews:
Babby's first Mario level YWP-GLF-PBG
Swap the bomb jump with the Koopa trees, and throw a spike trap to the left so people can reset easier. I was the first clear, so I think people are getting discouraged by the way the opening looks compared to what the level actually is. Put a Z track in front of the Thwomps. Also, you can skip the last enemy and just hit the goal tape and I am fine with this.
Going Galaxy WB1-251-XKF
Look at the number of deaths at the spring jump and ask yourself if that was intended. I did not appreciate the bowser fire. The respawning star was good. I would take another look at the the vine section, would a platform moing up and down on the left side help? Putting some coins in a slightly more obvious place would better signpost that you need to bring the P switch through the pipe. Well made level, just one of those situations where just one more pair of eyes would make all the difference.
Walking On Sunshine 34S-X3J-]PLF
Lost the first two mushrooms, so they arn't free, had a real bad situation at the checkpoint where if i didn't jump the sun would get me, but jumping put me at a bullet bill, but I did get the checkpoint, so not much lost. Put a platform and a P switch under the last saws, the section in total is a little long to wait for the saws and they can be in some pretty forced-hitty cycles when you get there. Other than that, level is fine.
March of the Ant Hill 6BL-0MV-Q1G
I was sad at how empty the trees were. Last part by the flagpole needs some tweaking, and theres no room to do that. Overall, a few too many enemies, but it was fine.
Skewering Sand Dunes 5R1-VGM-Q6G
A little messy. The ?first? 10 coin didn't need spike traps at the end of it. Move the first checkpoint closer to the start? I wound of skipping most of the bonueses, given the intensitity tward the end. Too many wigglers, putting a single block somewhere would stop me from having a line of like 6 all under me hungering for my flesh. Overall: N wigglers out of X
Wetlands Wanderer KHQ-J25-PLF
First run climbed the beanstalk and stole lakitu's cloud, then got the 50 and fought some boom booms. Note to developers: Boom Boom is great, because he is not random. Second run Lakitu did not behave and threw a bunch f spinys intp the saws, maybe add a way for the spinys to get out of from the platform under the saw? Would have been 5 out of 5, were it not for the spammy skull platform ending.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Sky theme

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found out Mario has a second unique move to the 3D World theme beyond the long jump. No longer will we be asking "Why can't Mario crawl?" because now he can.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He can also roll. And do the Mario 2 thing where you duck to charge a high jump.

I've also seen him do a standing high spin jump in video but have no idea how.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He can also roll. And do the Mario 2 thing where you duck to charge a high jump.

I've also seen him do a standing high spin jump in video but have no idea how.

Hold up on dpad, press L or R to start spinning on the ground, then jump.

It's a pain in the rear end.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Luigi’s Airship Escape! WB1 GTJ DRF
I stole the thanoscopter, then there wasn't even a 50 coin reward for me. Sad.
Payload Palace WBW-3MK-YWG
Oh hey, a car bonus, ending with the cat bills didn't need the koopas.
Airship Panic MX8-NYN-R5G
I gave specific feedback earlier in the thread, level is still good.
Lakeside Frenzy P52-KDB-YJG
Short Level is fine.
Please Learn How to Play Mario 1TF-C8F-YWG
Here's a bunch of powerups and what they do: the level. That isn't a complaint, its literally about teaching players about some powerups. Now if only there was a level about yoshi eating fire and al the things you can spin jump on.
POWer through! T7G-7BF-GCG
Level Deleted: Replaced by 5PS-G6T-9MG
the worst 1-1 clone ever KC6-WC5-MTF
Level is fine.
Improper Crate Disposal FW5-8QX-QKG
7.8/10 Too much water, not enough crates.
POWer through! v2 5PS-G6T-9MG
Somewhat challenging, having to enter the "car" was not obvious at first, maybe put a ? block with a 1 up in there?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there anything that leads to levels getting played by randoms more? The first few days my 3 levels were getting played a bunch, my new level from yesterday seemed to not get any random people playing it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Is there anything that leads to levels getting played by randoms more? The first few days my 3 levels were getting played a bunch, my new level from yesterday seemed to not get any random people playing it.

The system is apparently that the "new" tab is the only place in-game that shows levels with 0 likes. So you need to get someone to like your level, at which point it will start showing up in endless and such.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Tnega posted:

Please Learn How to Play Mario 1TF-C8F-YWG
Here's a bunch of powerups and what they do: the level. That isn't a complaint, its literally about teaching players about some powerups. Now if only there was a level about yoshi eating fire and al the things you can spin jump on.

Thanks for playing! Somehow that level blew up and got a ton of plays. I think it must have been on either the hot or popular courses tab a couple of days ago.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Thanks for playing! Somehow that level blew up and got a ton of plays. I think it must have been on either the hot or popular courses tab a couple of days ago.

I encountered it in multiplayer rotation so it was showing up there.

The worst thing about encountering a 3D World level in endless mode is looking into the background and thinking, "I could be playing that stage instead of this."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vegastar posted:

Hold up on dpad, press L or R to start spinning on the ground, then jump.

It's a pain in the rear end.

I tried both holding up and holding Zr to start spinning but never at the same time!

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Harold Krell posted:

Made a level featuring a boss fight and finishing with a musical flourish.

Trent's Reznor
5YG-WSC-40G

This level from page 41 was completely skipped over, it's up to you to decide if it deserved it or not.
A pretty neat recreation of a classic fight, though with an unnecessary wrinkle right before the goal.

Spacebump posted:

Tried to make an underwater level that is fun but not super easy. (medium difficulty) It has one neat hidden area.

SMB3 late game under sea fun
5H9-619-3RF

Another from page 41.
The noteblocks make this level a little too chaotic and it wasn't clear at first glance what to do with the star at the beginning.

Salastine fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 3, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

There's just not a whole lot that can be done with the kart. It's cool enough that people want to mess with it, but it's too restrictive to really do much with.

Which is really a problem with almost everything in the 3D World style - their basic looks and functionality are great, but you're really limited in what you can do with it compared to the other styles, so there aren't very many interactions or interesting gameplay dynamics people can invent.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

It is the distant future. Lord Bones has scarred the landscape into a horrible corporate undeath. Thankfully, we've developed TimePods: special temporal probes that subtly alter the timeline generations later. We've landed four where his headquarters will be, and now it's up to you to stop it from ever existing.

TimePod: Cold Past, Bleak Future
BHD-JWX-WJF

This is a level based on On/Off switches persisting between areas. All accessible switches are in the sub-area and all the blocks they affect are in the main area.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Fortis posted:

Tried to make a tank level a la world 8-1 from SMB3 and that didn’t really work so then I just made an airship stage with swinging claws.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146264881227870208

In case the image doesn't show - ID: 919-VY9-5MF

Another overlooked level, this time from page 42.
A great airship level that almost feels like a Nintendo design, if claws were around for SMB3. All I have to say on the negative side is that some of the jumps don't feel designed for Big Mario, though they work fine if you're careful.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Lobster posted:

To the spreadsheet guy, I left my corrected code for my level as a comment! Whenever you get around to doing those it would be appreciated.

Fixed it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Someone finally played my level! And liked it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rather Watch Them posted:

It is the distant future. Lord Bones has scarred the landscape into a horrible corporate undeath. Thankfully, we've developed TimePods: special temporal probes that subtly alter the timeline generations later. We've landed four where his headquarters will be, and now it's up to you to stop it from ever existing.

TimePod: Cold Past, Bleak Future
BHD-JWX-WJF

This is a level based on On/Off switches persisting between areas. All accessible switches are in the sub-area and all the blocks they affect are in the main area.

The premise is a lot of fun but I just *barely* finished this with the time allotted. It was a neat puzzle to solve though!