Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finished the Div 2 campaign, if you can call it that. Not sure why this game got so much praise, it's just more Division with somehow even less story.

Playing everything solo sucked rear end, couldn't matchmake anything. Not sure if it's because I'm three months late or on the rear end end of the world with a console that no one outside North America bought. I may have to get a ps5 just to have any sort of online fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You did realize the group invites you get when matchmaking are the matchmade mission groups? The interface isn't really clear on that.

I think Anthem had the best matchmaking out of all those games: You could use matchmaking for any mission type, even side missions - something sadly missing in Division 2.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lambert posted:

You did realize the group invites you get when matchmaking are the matchmade mission groups? The interface isn't really clear on that.

Yeah, I got a few of those during the free weekend but no response otherwise. Everyone playing is at world tier 5 I guess.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/xboxgamepass/status/1146404224697171975?s=21

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now I can finally play that Lego game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unavowed is really good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol if you don't already own like 6 copies of SOTN on various services and discs

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Shadow of War was a really big disappointment. It's not even that bad there's just something about it leaning too far into it's UBI-ness and then the F2P multiplayer kind of bleeding over into the singleplayer makes it even worse.

I just wanted to make friends with the Nemesis system orcs guys

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Shadow of War was a really big disappointment. It's not even that bad there's just something about it leaning too far into it's UBI-ness and then the F2P multiplayer kind of bleeding over into the singleplayer makes it even worse.

I just wanted to make friends with the Nemesis system orcs guys

Did you play it after the big huge patch that stripped out the microtx and changed the endgame a lot? I liked it quite a bit after those changes, and on xgp it's well worth a download, imo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
No, but I suspect I didn't even play far enough for that stuff to bother me. I just hated that the game was so complicated and crazy when all I wanted was SOM with a better nemesis system and the castle battles they showed in the preview.

Maybe I need to revisit it but I just didn't hit the same notes as SOM for me.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
that's all the game is, the microtransactions pre-patch were solely to placate the bulletpoint given by the publisher

the system was wormed away and was counter to how anyone would want to play anyway (e.g. spawn an orc vs capture one after generating some history)

end-game you were flooded in regular currency which bought it all as well with no other money sink. devs couldn't have tried to make it more unappealing

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

also the game has "and then Talion hosed around with the Nemesis System for years" as part of the plot

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The biggest problem with Shadow of War is that the arena where you make orcs fight each other has shockingly bad ai.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
why is there currency at all in that game ugh

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

why is there currency at all in that game ugh

Same reason Deus Ex does now, the publisher demands it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dead Rising 4 is a staggeringly ok game that I sunk way too much time into. You could do worse but boy could you do better

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Same reason Deus Ex does now, the publisher demands it.

:eng101: same reason Deus Ex did :rip:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Wrong franchise died

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

El_Elegante posted:

Wrong franchise died

I wonder how many of the people spooging over Cyberpunk are aware there's a more focused version of that out there that can be had for like $3

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I own a couple of extra physical copies of Deus Ex because stores are desperate to get rid of them and it might run better and load faster on the ps5 or whatever.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dragon Age Inquisition with all addons and dlc for $10?

I’m gonna have to bite on that.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Just a heads up everyone, I bought the killer instinct ultimate edition during the summer sale so you guys can probably expect it to show up as a games with gold before the end of the year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Geo Fixer posted:

Just a heads up everyone, I bought the killer instinct ultimate edition during the summer sale so you guys can probably expect it to show up as a games with gold before the end of the year.

f

Thank you for your service

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHtKwvPqjpE

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Gears multiplayer owns but I wish they'd stop obsessing over dumb esports stuff and just stick to the basics. Bring back the hammer of dawn and the flamethrower

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They majority of us players feel the same way. They still think marketing high level gears makes casuals want to play their 30 minute + game mode.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Was Gears multiplayer ever really popular? I remember trying both Gears 2 and Gears 3 a few months after release, and most of my matches in either consisted of mostly bots with only a handful of actual players.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Lambert posted:

Was Gears multiplayer ever really popular? I remember trying both Gears 2 and Gears 3 a few months after release, and most of my matches in either consisted of mostly bots with only a handful of actual players.

The first one was super popular. It was also one of the few multiplayer games on the 360 at the time.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The first 3 were but Epic deeply hated how the community played their game and from 2 onward tried their best to make people play their way and in the process started ruining the series. They also wanted to do more with 3 but couldnt thanks to bungie releasing odst by suprise and pushing back reach. After that Epic kinda washed their hands with Gears and were tapped out. Then Judgement was the DmC spin off and 4 is 3 remastered but with less content, stagnant gameplay, and way more bugs.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Funnily enough Gears multiplayer was hugely popular right up until they decided to focus on eSports. Similar thing happened with Halo, stripped back the craziness and fun to make it super serious for the competitive scene which shrunk because people just didn't find it as enjoyable any more. Bungie made the same mistake with Destiny 2 multiplayer as well, but have managed to partially revert things back over time.

I do remember Gears 2 having completely broken multiplayer at launch and for a little while after however since it took them ages to fix the servers, and then people got turned off by smoke grenades causing ragdolls which I thought was hilarious but they removed that feature. Probably for the best since it caused a whole mess of glitches for getting outside maps but it was funny as hell watching bodies fly everywhere from a smoke grenade going off. Basically though eSports is cancer to any fun multiplayer game.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

Funnily enough Gears multiplayer was hugely popular right up until they decided to focus on eSports. Similar thing happened with Halo, stripped back the craziness and fun to make it super serious for the competitive scene which shrunk because people just didn't find it as enjoyable any more. Bungie made the same mistake with Destiny 2 multiplayer as well, but have managed to partially revert things back over time.

I do remember Gears 2 having completely broken multiplayer at launch and for a little while after however since it took them ages to fix the servers, and then people got turned off by smoke grenades causing ragdolls which I thought was hilarious but they removed that feature. Probably for the best since it caused a whole mess of glitches for getting outside maps but it was funny as hell watching bodies fly everywhere from a smoke grenade going off. Basically though eSports is cancer to any fun multiplayer game.

Not exactly.

Halo had it's own competitive thing going, MLG started because Halo players wanted something official. This was Halo 2 days when competitive stuff was more.... pure? StarCraft and Counter Strike stuff. Halo Reach started the bleeding because pros and fans didn't like stuff. And Halo 4 killed pro Halo. 5 is a zombie corpse.

Gears was the same as Halo. Except a 10th as popular. Remember that.

Gears 2 was indeed broken on launch. That smoke stun poo poo was terrible. Watching that animation 9 times at the start of every match stops being cute real fast. It took them too long to fix everything wrong and people like me quit in a hurry.

Fast forward to 4: Gears is at its lowest point. And they come out catering to eSports and ignore casuals. The mode in that Gears 5 videos I posted is the pro game mode of choice. That's how they promote Gears now. It's delusional at this point. They also have almost no presence on twitch and even dangling skins if people watch doesn't help.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Reach multiplayer suffered because of the abilities that in retrospect were obviously Bungie using their last MS game to field test Destiny supers in a PvP environment. I remember one video that made the rounds that captured the issue perfectly with two guys constantly entering amor lock. I didn't think Halo 4 was too bad it's just that there wasn't many maps available so a franchise known for multiplayer was pretty barebones at launch, I got sick of seeing Haven within the first week and they only had 5 maps for each playlist so you kept seeing the same ones over and over whether you went normal Slayer or Big Team. I haven't even played Halo 5 but it looked like there were even less maps and they were basically copies of each other with zero variety, I don't know what they were thinking there.

I do like Gears 4, I just wish the seriousness was dropped and they'd kept more fun stuff. So many of the new maps were terrible, too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
With Gears 2 (And 3), you also had Horde mode, which was fun and quite popular for a while. One of the Halos around that time (ODST?) had a similar mode, and basically everyone else cribbed it for a bit (Nazi Zombies, for example), but then esport-targeted stuff started becoming the norm in too many of those games.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Speaking of Halo Reach, can someone explain to me why it wasn't included in the Master Chief Collection from the get go? What is the story behind that?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Probably simply a question of achievable scope: The Master Chief Collection used to be just a Halo 2 Remaster, 1 and 3 got added later in the development cycle. MCC was in a horrible state at launch (and for years after), so I imagine they didn't really have the time to add Reach and ODST as well. Adding Reach now is a sign of Microsoft wanting to show people they're serious about making good on their past mistakes.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Also it is the Master Chief Collection after all, and the Chief is only tangentially in Reach and ODST. Probably mostly about scope though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Halo Reach multi is fondly remembered as far as I can tell, not as much as 2 or 3, but that's nothing to scoff at. The abilities seemed bad at first but they were all pretty well balanced and added a good dimension to the game. The only real lingering complaint I ever hear is that the maps weren't up to snuff.

God I miss using the hologram in Reach so bad. It was genuinely shocking how well it kept working long after it really shouldn't.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp. Back into the Xbox fold I go. I was looking at the One S recently and with that $1 gamepass deal I decided to take the dive again.

I have a 4K TV but I feel like it might be a little foolish to go full on One X with the Scarlett coming up next year. Would it be wiser to just go One S?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just wait til scarlet then why spend 200+ a year early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Real hurthling! posted:

Just wait til scarlet then why spend 200+ a year early?

Cuz I just did the three years of Gold + Gamepass deal and I'd like to start playing through games I've missed over the past few years.

The all digital one comes up on Rakuten for about $170 from time to time. I may just wait for that again.