Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Everyone being hard on Misato is kind of leaving out the part where if she doesn't manipulate him into getting into the robot he and everyone else dies as humanity is wiped out. Maybe there was a more competent approach someone who wasn't also personally broken could have taken to managing Shinji's trauma, but keeping him out of the robot wasn't really an option.

I guess in End of Eva humanity wasn't going to be fully wiped out, but he and everyone he knew still would have been even aside from what Seele's version of human instrumentality would have ended up being.

Humanity being wiped out was the entire mission from SEELE to begin with dude

E: this was also Gendo’s plan too. The whole “save humanity” thing was a false plan, they never intended to save humanity but tricked many people to work for them by lying and manipulating them or just plain withholding information. The mission is to kill the Angels right? Humanity was the 18th angel

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
They had to stop any old angel from gronking up their plans, what's not to get? If they wanted 3rd impact to happen so badly why did they make nerv to start with?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
gotta please the bureaucrats somehow. there's a whole ton of off screen politics we don't get to see.

e. also probably the Dead Sea Scrolls literally said they had to.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm doing a rewatch with the new Netflix dub and besides the weird "third children" business, my biggest gripe is how they replaced "mind" in the old dub with "heart", so it comes off way flakier. Like when the angel appears in ep 22, they say "it's engaging in psychological warfare" but Asuka is yelling "don't look into my heart", or Shinji ruminating about his heart instead of his mind in the finale, it's very off. Even the new subtitles still say "mind", so idgi.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zeruel posted:

They had to stop any old angel from gronking up their plans, what's not to get? If they wanted 3rd impact to happen so badly why did they make nerv to start with?

Going to quote from the evageeks wiki here:

quote:

Eva-01 is treated by the higher-ups at Nerv HQ, namely Gendo Ikari, with a suspicious favoritism. Once all of the Angels are destroyed, Eva-01 becomes the key to both Gendo and Seele's scenarios for Third Impact, in which the former intends to use it as an "ark to save humanity from the nothingness of Third Impact," and the latter as a "medium" to Lilith, who has been rendered unusable by the loss of the original Spear of Longinus. The implication is that, by its unique creation, Eva-01 was intended as a "backup" for Lilith all along.

Now quoting from Evageeks again:

quote:

It is assumed that the Angels' intention is to cause Third Impact and reclaim Earth from Lilith's children (Homo sapiens).

Basically SEELE, Gendo, and the Angels all wanted to cause Third Impact for different reasons. They wanted to stop the angels so that they could go forward with their own version of Third Impact. SEELE and Gendo had different plans for it though.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What if they had just done Instrumentality way earlier and formed a giant orange juice elemental to beat up the angels for the hell of it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What if they had just done Instrumentality way earlier and formed a giant orange juice elemental to beat up the angels for the hell of it.

Probably if they could they would have. Throughout the whole show they're talking about the schedule of the instrumentality project.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I suddenly remembered that back in the mid 2000s, a buddy of mine was starting to get into anime. He'd watched the Toonami lineups so I wound up bringing my Eva box set over to him and spent a couple weekends watching Eva + EoE with him. I vividly recall his demeanor changing once episode 19 or so hit, and his visceral "what the gently caress" to Rei's third eye business in EoE.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shinji achieving full synchronization with 01 seemed to be a key (or the key?) element of Instrumentality. Sending him to fight angels would take him ever closer to that point.

I assume that the angels destroying Lilith or reviving Adam would lead to a 2nd Impact style mass extinction event rather than instrumentality. I can't remember if they imply there were only a limited number of angels or if they would just keep attacking forever until they reached their goal - if it's the latter then Instrumentality makes sense as a way to avoid the otherwise inevitable apocalypse.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Irrespective of SEELE's machinations, which by proxy means that Nerv was never going to be an actual arm of protection for humanity, I feel like the majority of the problems of much of the cast could've been solved by just not having Gendo in charge or even involved at all. He never has anyone's interests but his own in mind and directly or indirectly causes unneeded trauma and discomfort to most obviously Shinji but also others like Ritsuko and probably Rei. In the end I'm not even sure why it had to be him, I don't think he ever actively performs any actions that are directly helpful to the nominal Nerv cause and not just furthering his personal goals instead. His mere presence and actions as-is actively make everything worse.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 3, 2019

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
But then again, on some level, you also have to ask could anyone but Gendo have gotten this done, because that dude is obsessively driven beyond the point of any morality or consideration of others just to get us to the point of 3I. When you get to things like the Unit 03 incident and how that all shakes out, look at how every single other person in the room is vomiting or horrified over the actions and he's just cool as a cucumber because that's the plan, that's how this has to go down. He's also the sole individual looking at the Dead Sea Scrolls and going "mmm, this is more of a guidebook, not a hard recipe", and it's how he fucks SEELE in the end - everyone has the same script, but he improvises.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
IT'S STILL BETTER THAN THE CURRENT PILOT, DO IT

:black101:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

Having read more on Anno's past I'm inclined toward the takes I've seen that say it's less a mecha deconstruction and more tokusatsu with depression. Shin Godzilla seems like it was a real fun opportunity for him, considering.

The main reason the word “deconstruction” gets used around Evangelion is because ADV put it on the back of the movie box and a bunch of fans picked it up to sound sophisticated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: this was also Gendo’s plan too. The whole “save humanity” thing was a false plan, they never intended to save humanity but tricked many people to work for them by lying and manipulating them or just plain withholding information. The mission is to kill the Angels right? Humanity was the 18th angel

this doesn't really jive with the multiple private discussions Gendo and Fuyutsuki have with nobody else listening

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Shinji achieving full synchronization with 01 seemed to be a key (or the key?) element of Instrumentality. Sending him to fight angels would take him ever closer to that point.

sort of -- maybe under Gendo's plan and obviously under Yui's, but SEELE's plan was to use Lilith, not Unit-01, as the focal point of Instrumentality, and they only grudgingly switched to Unit-01 as a backup after Gendo had Rei yeet the Lance of Longinus to the moon

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 4, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/strongest_human/status/1146200729524342784?s=19

whoa

again

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its not so much that saving humanity is a false plan as, SEELE and Gendo's idea of what that means is v. different than what Misato and the NERV staff think.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Seele's leader used tech to keep him alive long enough for instrumentality to make him "immortal." They definitely had differences of opinion on saving.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It’s no Mac Photoshop 3.0 readme.txt but that’s still good.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Thank you, Amanda. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1145280024460685318

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would think fanboys would love a literal translation. It’s literally what they want, but guess what is sucks

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Midjack posted:

It’s no Mac Photoshop 3.0 readme.txt but that’s still good.

I think that same article was barely modified and reused as the filler text in EoE.

I still giggle at this every time on the HD version. I've never translated the binary though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I mean the old translation was "liberal" to the point of getting plot points mixed up, and the new one is bad and overly literal.

I appreciate that she's had to be the face of two bad translations for decades and that has to wear on a person, but the fanboys are right even if the histrionic response to her personally is unwarranted.

(For what it's worth, the old one's still better; most of the screw-ups are Adam / Lilith confusion type stuff that doesn't really impair your understanding of the series that much.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 3, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the IRL crap she went through I’m not gonna begrudge her being pissed at where she finds herself in this whole clusterfuck.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Amanda Winn Lee spends most of her day dealing with shithead Vic Mignona sycophants and sperglords from Evageeks who have a 23 year old vendetta. She deserves your unconditional respect.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My new life goal is to get high with Amanda Winn Lee.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The fact that Weed Rei is an irl thing is endlessly delightful.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Weed Yukiko is even better.

AWL rules.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
"but the fanboys are right" is never a statement one should say

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You're missing the tweets where she goes "I also voice yukiko who you fap do. You can't escape me!"

Fan: This is why I use subs
Winlee: I did the subs, too!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You shouldn't harass AWL via Twitter or any other medium but that post sets up a dumb false dichotomy. It's clearly possible for a translation to be bad due to missing plot points and completely mishandling the tone, or for a translation to be bad due to clunky overly literal lines and flat direction.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You shouldn't harass AWL via Twitter or any other medium but that post sets up a dumb false dichotomy. It's clearly possible for a translation to be bad due to missing plot points and completely mishandling the tone, or for a translation to be bad due to clunky overly literal lines and flat direction.

The original dub is pretty bad (although still better than the new translation) but I'm willing to give them a lot more leeway because translations back then were tiny teams working on shoestring budgets and tight schedules with no no established pool of voice talent. Bad dubs today usually require one or more people actively loving up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Translations were similarly dire, with little to no direction from the creators or parent company.

"Hey what's the plot?"
'LOL Figure it out'
"K... Uh... well time to fill in some blanks!"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I actually haven’t really seen a critique of the Netflix dub that has not been, in substance “it’s different from the old translation (that I also complained about)”. I think I’m with ADR lady on this one: nerds are impossible to please.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
what about "worthy of his grace" instead of "loved me"

that's pretty outright bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What? People have been complaining about it being literal and clunky in this very thread

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

there are a few notable bad changes but it's mostly fine. source: i watched it and enjoyed it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
first draft of the translation called it Sega Genesis Evangelion.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
kaworu originally said "doki doki panic"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

IronicDongz posted:

what about "worthy of his grace" instead of "loved me"

that's pretty outright bad

It has a kind of religious element to it that’s fairly interesting. I would have left it as is because I don’t want to straight-wash and Shinji’s sexual confusion is important. That said, consider that in Christianity “God loves me” and “I am worthy of grace” are pretty much equivalent in meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kaowru is a Jesus figure. Jesus is famous for loving people, not liking them. This doesn't seem especially hard to me.