Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
totally want to eat a hooburrito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm desperately trying to make a joke comparing "Hey There Delilah" to a sugary glass of nonsense the color and texture of wet plaster, but I'm not sure any further joke needs to be made

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
and for some reason rounding out the bunch was Katy Perry, pictured here being held at gunpoint in a Denny's

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I have been told that Dennys across the nation were the hangout of choice for 00s scene kids. I can't confirm this since I was too old/depressed to be a 00s scene kid, although I suppose I could've been an 00s scene kid's creepy older boyfriend.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

I have been told that Dennys across the nation were the hangout of choice for 00s scene kids. I can't confirm this since I was too old/depressed to be a 00s scene kid, although I suppose I could've been an 00s scene kid's creepy older boyfriend.

it was village inn where I lived

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i don't know if it was a scene thing or not, but i definitely remember regularly going to the denny's in my hometown in that era simply because it was one of two restaurants that were open all night and one of my friends got banned from the other one for reasons he refused to reveal. i don't think i ever met anyone who actually liked denny's, it was always a beggars can't be choosers situation ... sort of like listening to hoobastank :v:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
WHAT THE FUCKS UP DENNY'S!!!!! (1:42)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbPwaAFHDG8

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think people are finally realizing that having two $400 guitars is more fun than one $800 guitar. Particularly when a $400 guitar plays just as well as the $800 guitar and maybe just needs a bit of TLC to get going.

i love my cheap guitars. i had all these ideas about swapping pickups and stuff but i solved most of the problems i had with them by playing them through a hot rod deluxe :getin:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ASenileAnimal posted:

i love my cheap guitars. i had all these ideas about swapping pickups and stuff but i solved most of the problems i had with them by playing them through a hot rod deluxe :getin:

A cheap guitar through a great amp sounds pretty dang good. The same cannot be said for a great guitar through a cheap amp.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Anime Reference posted:

The scene/weirdo kids I went to middle school with in the late '90's were definitely Denny's kids. (The farthest north Denny's in the world, fuckers!) Then my family moved to somewhere where Village Inn filled that niche in the weird/art/scene teen ecosystem. I assume it's always just whichever mediocre 24-hour breakfast joint is most common and/or least prone to kicking kids out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I WAS RUSHING TO FIND THIS ICONIC VIDEO

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Dear threadfriends, I've been away to the Phoenix Musical Instruments Museum and it is my happy place. If you've never been, make pilgrimmage immediately.

None of it was stupid music poo poo, but hoo boy were there some... interesting... finds. Still going through my camera's SD card but couldn't resist :justpost:ing.

Thought of you, Faustus:

Litigate this, Gibson:

The sound this makes in my head is "WAAAAAH"

England.jpg:

Also of note is that basically every culture on earth has a bagpipe, which is surprising. Humanity looked at a sheep and went :hmmyes: "I want to blow into that"

I'll be happy to post more weird, wild, wonderful things from there if y'all are game.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

:justpost:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
None of that was stupid. It was beautiful. All of it. :swoon:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So the triple neck JEM, it’s a 12-string, a 6-string, and... a hardtail 6-string?

E: oh poo poo is that fretless?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Jr. posted:

Also of note is that basically every culture on earth has a bagpipe, which is surprising. Humanity looked at a sheep and went :hmmyes: "I want to blow into that"

This makes me want to write a convoluted creationist argument about how the sheep was intelligently designed so its digestive system could make optimal musical instruments, with wool and mutton as happy accidents.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Thermos H Christ posted:

So the triple neck JEM, it’s a 12-string, a 6-string, and... a hardtail 6-string?

E: oh poo poo is that fretless?

Yep, looks like a fretless to me. Didn't Steve Vai play one of those?

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Jr. posted:

Thought of you, Faustus:

Surely a guitar with 3 necks is heavy enough to justify a monkey grip handle.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
The universality of bagpipes is amazing. My dad plays Great Highland, a cousin plays Galician, my brother has a ney-anbān, and I play uilleann and Swedish pipes. There’s so many ways to inflate a sack and make loud noises, and it is great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

booze + surplus animal bladders + pipes were universally plentiful across the world and events took their natural course.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jr. posted:

Dear threadfriends, I've been away to the Phoenix Musical Instruments Museum and it is my happy place. If you've never been, make pilgrimmage immediately.

None of it was stupid music poo poo, but hoo boy were there some... interesting... finds. Still going through my camera's SD card but couldn't resist :justpost:ing.

Thought of you, Faustus:

I'll be happy to post more weird, wild, wonderful things from there if y'all are game.
Thank you for this. More about it after the quotations below, but you made my night and I just came home from a particularly rough shift at work. It made me feel better!

Wark Say posted:

None of that was stupid. It was beautiful. All of it. :swoon:

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yep, looks like a fretless to me. Didn't Steve Vai play one of those?
It is a fretless six-string with a sustainer in the neck position.

donut posted:

Surely a guitar with 3 necks is heavy enough to justify a monkey grip handle.
That JEM should very well be stupid, but the guy wrote a whole piece of music just for a G3 show, and I think it's a really very good song (please don't bother if you hate this stuff; but if you enjoyed it before, please enjoy it again. Monkey Grip or no, he had to sit down to perform this. It turns into a vocal tune after the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k

Also, please don't call me Shirley. :v:

E: Actually, he got up and walked around for the vocal part of the song and had his other guitarist come help him play his three-neck guitar which many people hate but I think is :3:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 4, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jr. posted:

The sound this makes in my head is "WAAAAAH"

That's a Stroh violin! It sounds like a violin but much louder and slightly more harsh. I say this because a loving solo violin sounds like rear end to my ears and I'm really more of a viola fan.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

I whipped up an album for y’all to enjoy! Apologies for some of the dodgy focus, it had been years since I’d used a real camera.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I loved Chris Squire's dumbassed triple-necked monster so I'm not allowed to make fun of Steve Vai's dumbassed triple-necked monster.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Obligatory: http://stsanders.com/web/steve/

The audible pickup switch *click* and single coil buzz get me every time

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I fuckin love this and all the emo denny's meals

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

A cheap guitar through a great amp sounds pretty dang good. The same cannot be said for a great guitar through a cheap amp.

Ola Englund's video series "Will it Chug?" kinda shows the power of an amazing guitar through a cheap amp being recorded by an amazing setup and mixed by a great engineer.

Some of the videos make me think "huh, that's literally the best crust punk tone I've ever heard" coming from an amp powered by a 9v battery.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hedningen posted:

The universality of bagpipes is amazing. My dad plays Great Highland, a cousin plays Galician, my brother has a ney-anbān, and I play uilleann and Swedish pipes. There’s so many ways to inflate a sack and make loud noises, and it is great.

One of the happiest moments of my life was during a school trip to France. In one town somewhere around Brittany, there was a two-piece on a corner consisting of a bagpiper and an accordionist. :allears:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ola Englund's video series "Will it Chug?" kinda shows the power of an amazing guitar through a cheap amp being recorded by an amazing setup and mixed by a great engineer.

Some of the videos make me think "huh, that's literally the best crust punk tone I've ever heard" coming from an amp powered by a 9v battery.

I can't remember who said it but my favorite quote about guitar tone is "there are no bad tones, only inappropriate ones."
Greg Ginn playing a plexiglass guitar into a solid-state PA amp is awful for a lot of things but it was perfect for Black Flag.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

That goes back to at least the 80s, probably much further. Basically if you're young, don't have a curfew, and either don't do drugs or have run out of drugs, you can always go sit in the Denny's/Village Inn/Kettle/whatever and drink bottomless coffee until dawn.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Jr. posted:

I whipped up an album for y’all to enjoy! Apologies for some of the dodgy focus, it had been years since I’d used a real camera.

Awesome stuff!

Silverbasharpor are really cool: kind of a variant of the standard chromatic nyckelharpa that’s mostly used in C thanks to the tuning/key layout. The whole family is awesome, and one of those bizarre instruments that really makes you wonder what mad imagination first decided the world needed a violin, but with keys and additional strings.

For possibly non-stupid music poo poo, here’s some traditional Swedish blues, performed on resonator and moraharpa.

For stupid music poo poo, here’s someone playing Buckethead on nyckelharpa.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

I can't remember who said it but my favorite quote about guitar tone is "there are no bad tones, only inappropriate ones."
Greg Ginn playing a plexiglass guitar into a solid-state PA amp is awful for a lot of things but it was perfect for Black Flag.
That's a pretty loving good life policy wrt tone. :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I forgot that your guitar can act like a radio antenna sometimes. And it was really loving spooky to remind me of that while I was watching stranger things

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/creepy-mexican-radio

weirdly enough I'm not moving or doing anything, poo poo just has started to get louder and clearer as I sit there terrified

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I forgot that your guitar can act like a radio antenna sometimes. And it was really loving spooky to remind me of that while I was watching stranger things

weirdly enough I'm not moving or doing anything, poo poo just has started to get louder and clearer as I sit there terrified

I once caught a baseball game (White Sox at Rangers, I think), stopped playing and just listened to the last three or four innings. It was nice.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the truly stupid music poo poo is how much I laughed at this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

this is rad as hell tho

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nice - just add some delay and reverb and you've got your between-songs ambiance track.

The one I remember was hearing a weird clicking sound sometimes when I played and realizing it was my quartz watch ticks being picked up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had one particular cell phone that always made my guitars ring before it did. If any of 'em were candidates for ionizing radiation, it was that one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bill Bailey and Lemmy had a bastard son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXWbLI7AFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kare
Mar 19, 2002

As soon as I saw the thumbnail I knew I was at this concert (outdoors Red Fang gig, somewhere in the countryside in Savoy ~5 years ago I think). I'm the bald guy next to the food truck in the back. I then got closer, him and some woman in the audience kept spitting on each other, and then I won a beer in a contest organized by him, because I could find the name of the next song he covered: You Suffer by Napalm Death

kare fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 5, 2019