Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Strange coincidence; as all this poo poo went down on Sunday we had a friends-couple over (they had lost their dog to cancer on Saturday, we didn’t realize this while at the music festival and were trying to be good friends and give them company and to get them out of their house - did not foresee inviting them to a disaster...) and one of them is a practicing malpractice attorney in our state. He’s aware of all the chaos that went down and is taking place and the general consensus is Safeco’s inaction at this time is more likely a result of their due diligence and bureaucratic machine kicking into gear and doing the calculus of whether cynically its more cost-effective to own this now or to spur on what undoubtedly would be a drawn-out legal battle that would get even more expensive for them quickly at the end of the day.

Also, JPMC bought our loan almost immediately after we closed with the funding lender, and that’s another looming specter over all this as undoubtedly JPMC will be Not Happy with the funding lender, title company, and Safeco/Liberty Mutual. We made our first mortgage payment to the funding lender, the second auto-drafted out of my Chase checking account as of Monday, so if nothing else there’s a very clear paper trail of us the homeowners doing the right thing here.

We’re ok generally speaking, we’re staying at my in-laws in the (very) short term, and even if Safeco wants to make this as hard as possible (which I doubt at this time given the indications I’m hearing about their interaction with the title company) and go to war we should be ok.

Powershift posted:

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The bullets are 40 grains, the cases are about 10, that's 0.65 grams. Heavy airsoft pellets weigh .2 grams.

They probably wouldn't have even broken the skin.

Uh - the case and bullet weight matter a lot less than the energy of the volatiles inside...

This wasn’t predominantly 22LR, which only has something like 1-2 grains of powder - there were something like 4K rounds of 223/556/762, all of which average something like 25 grains of powder and have bigger primers too. It was all rounds I had accumulated over more than a decade when it was cheap.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Edit: Ah, nevermind.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's a next-level shitshow, Tremek. I wish I could say something of help or guidance, but you're into pro territory now. At least there's a clear and known plan for the doggo's rehab.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's a next-level shitshow, Tremek. I wish I could say something of help or guidance, but you're into pro territory now. At least there's a clear and known plan for the doggo's rehab.

Thanks, hopefully. Our Newfie is staying with aforementioned friends and loving the attention:

But I don’t know what we’re going to do to help my rottie. He is the goodest of boys and loves everyone but my mother in law is crazy and has this little whateverpoo mix who I and all of us get along with fine, but she’s convinced that my ravenous deathbeast is going to eat him and she has the vapors over this etc etc. It’s absurd and a function of her undiagnosed but obvious narcissism/borderline poo poo she’s got going on, but I digress.

Pictured - ravenous deathbeast in happier times... He’s at the vet overnight getting good drugs and TLC.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tremek posted:

Pictured - ravenous deathbeast in happier times... He’s at the vet overnight getting good drugs and TLC.

11/10 would let ravenous death beast devour my face :kimchi: I hope everything goes smoothly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Spent half an hour this morning chasing a smell. Discovered that Ford, in their wisdom, did not put a carbon air filter on my cop box so I had tree bits composting into the blower fan.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In the last couple of weeks three public defib machines have been stolen from local villages, seemingly by the same group of teenagers. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

In more fun news I ordered a battery impact wrench finally, so when that gets here I'm going to probably do irreparable damage to the S40 taking it apart.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

In the last couple of weeks three public defib machines have been stolen from local villages, seemingly by the same group of teenagers. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

This situation demands that the culprit be caught by a security guard deploying his taser. As he falls to the ground, screaming and convulsing, the guard spits, put on his sunglasses, and says, "Shock advised, motherfucker."

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Y'all need Roxul safe n sound in your life.
Thanks for the time, may be stocking up on that.

Tremek posted:

Rottie has a ruptured ACL. The words $5k surgery were floated by the vet. Taking him in for the surgery consult tomorrow.
Our pup has a partial tear ACL, trying to find a time when I can take two weeks off for watching him. That's bullshit about the insurance but it sounds like you're taking the right path and will get it sorted.

Brother stopped over last night with his pup we're dog sitting while he does on a trip for the 4th. Four dogs running around the house is a bit nuts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This situation demands that the culprit be caught by a security guard deploying his taser. As he falls to the ground, screaming and convulsing, the guard spits, put on his sunglasses, and says, "Shock advised, motherfucker."

I'd settle for "darted with something that disrupts heart rhythm within spitting distance of the vacant defib site" but my Ironic Justice League is underfunded.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Our rescue Pit mix had TPLO surgery done on both knees back-to-back about four months after we adopted him. Between that and rehab it was $12-13k, and our pet insurance company decided both were pre-existing conditions (because actuarially [:actually:], joint issues are considered bilateral regardless). Still, A++++ Would Pay Out of Pocket Again, our little man is so drat happy and so drat mobile and so pain-free. :3:

Sorry about all the bullshit life's serving you this week, Tremek. Good luck with it all, and yeah, don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support.

e: here's my favorite 85 lbs of derp

:3: :3:

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 3, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

And here I thought kids were expensive.

Urge to pet is strong.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Suburban Dad posted:

Urge to pet is strong.

He would like that very much. He would also settle for belly / butt scritches and / or simply cuddling.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tremek posted:

Rottie has a ruptured ACL. The words $5k surgery were floated by the vet. Taking him in for the surgery consult tomorrow. Also:

We formally closed on the house April 30th, and it appears the title company hosed up sending the year’s prepayment to our homeowners insurance out of escrow. It was sent to the wrong address, so therefore the insurance company cancelled the policy without telling anyone, and of course as insurance and taxes are paid monthly by us as part of our payment, all this was completely out of our control, so that’s in limbo and we are exploring our potential legal options in the meantime while Safeco decides if they’re going to play ball or dig their heels in. What a week.

Oh, come on! That's just insult to injury.

Galler posted:

Man that's rough. I'm so glad I did not have to use an escrow with my house and that's a good reminder as to why I should do everything I can to avoid having to use one in the future.

Well, *usually* an insurance company would just tell you you haven't paid, because they're, you know, a business interested in making money, rather than just silently dropping you. That's the lovely part. Mistakes such as the address error happen.

edit: oh, dang, I didn't realize that you *just* got the house. Ugh, what a mess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sad day for discriminating palettes. Terrible way to salute America. :911:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-kentucky-trnd/index.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

HandlingByJebus posted:

Our rescue Pit mix had TPLO surgery done on both knees back-to-back about four months after we adopted him. Between that and rehab it was $12-13k, and our pet insurance company decided both were pre-existing conditions (because actuarially [:actually:], joint issues are considered bilateral regardless). Still, A++++ Would Pay Out of Pocket Again, our little man is so drat happy and so drat mobile and so pain-free. :3:

Sorry about all the bullshit life's serving you this week, Tremek. Good luck with it all, and yeah, don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support.

e: here's my favorite 85 lbs of derp

:3: :3:

Oh my god that face

meatpimp posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-kentucky-trnd/index.html

One of my clients is a fairly well known whiskey distillery and the fire suppression system in their aging warehouses are insane, although with the potential fuel any fire would have it would have to be incredible. Areas are intrinsically safe and you can't even walk in with a cell phone.

Not a place you want to go hungover due the smell of whiskey in the air. Ask me how I know.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Palates. C'mon, Professor, you're better than that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Palates. C'mon, Professor, you're better than that.

:eng99:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think it was this thread where one of our UK guys said he saw someone Mustang a friend's vintage Camaro into some innocent person's wall, is this it?
https://np.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/c8lr41/leaving_a_classic_car_vintage_rally_wcgw/

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ether Frenzy posted:

I think it was this thread where one of our UK guys said he saw someone Mustang a friend's vintage Camaro into some innocent person's wall, is this it?
https://np.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/c8lr41/leaving_a_classic_car_vintage_rally_wcgw/

Chevelle, yeah. I bet that's it.

E:

InitialDave posted:

Normally the Doncaster classic car show has a very low idiot quotient, but this year a guy in a supercharged Chevelle decided to monster it out the showground exit, and lived his live a quarter mile at a time straight into a brick wall. :downsbravo:
When a Mustang owner calls you a stupid twat for doing that, you know it's a good 'un.

And apparently it wasn't his car. That's going to be an interesting "look mate, I was just driving along..." phone call for him.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for the time, may be stocking up on that.

Roxul is great stuff. I use it to make acoustic absorption panels.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

In the last couple of weeks three public defib machines have been stolen from local villages, seemingly by the same group of teenagers.
Huh. I just saw one had vanished from the wall outside my local Co-Op. Is there some kind of viral challenge nonsense going around with The Kids?

What the gently caress is wrong with people?
It's a long list, but I'd say "lack of requirement for breeding licences" is high up it.

In more fun news I ordered a battery impact wrench finally, so when that gets here I'm going to probably do irreparable damage to the S40 taking it apart.
I can do that dismantling cars with hand tools. :colbert:

Dagen H posted:

Chevelle, yeah. I bet that's it.

E:
Yep, that's the one. Hopefully the curtain-twitching old biddies who live on that street won't cause too much hassle over it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

A good one is literally invaluable for junkyard pulling. I'm never going without one again. What did you get?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AI confession thread: I'm considering buying a former rental vehicle. :(

2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 2.0T, loaded. 23k miles. Jeep CPO with 2 years bumper-to-bumper and 7/100k powertrain.

My wife works literally across the street from the Jeep dealer, so when they need to fix broken stuff, it's not an issue.

On a scale of 1-to-Seriously?, how bad a decision...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

meatpimp posted:

2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 2.0T, loaded. 23k miles. Jeep CPO with 2 years bumper-to-bumper and 7/100k powertrain.

My wife works literally across the street from the Jeep dealer, so when they need to fix broken stuff, it's not an issue.

There's a reason a certain thread title is "no rentals and no salvage titles."

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

former rental vehicle

Heh.

meatpimp posted:

2019 Jeep

Hahahhahaahahhaahaha

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thank you. I just sat down to edit the OP to say: As I was talking about it with my wife, I recognized that I was speaking crazy talk.

You may now resume your regular chat session and I'll resume looking for a Lexus NX200T.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Thank you. I just sat down to edit the OP to say: As I was talking about it with my wife, I recognized that I was speaking crazy talk.

You may now resume your regular chat session and I'll resume looking for a Lexus NX200T.

I left you a note in The Craigslist thread, check it out

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remember me asking about decent gloves for work, at least one person suggested the Harbor Freight cold weather gloves, I ignored everyone and got cheaper ones?

Yeah.... just got the cold weather work gloves today, after nearly getting frostbite several times. $14.99 - 20%. Would have been cheaper to just get them to begin with. :downsgun:

meatpimp posted:

I'm considering buying a former rental vehicle. :(

FCA vehicle

What the gently caress have you been smoking? We need to know so that the rest of AI can avoid it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 3, 2019

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Ehhh.. we have an ex-rental-fleet 2014 Xterra that has been as trouble-free as a Nissan can be. :shrug:

I mean, I’m sure it actually just exploded and took the house with it since I wrote this, but I guess what I’m saying is “we dodged that bullet, so don’t bother trying, the luck is used up now”.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd rate an N/A VQ-powered Xterra as a bit more reliable than a turbo Jeep.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My mazda is an ex rental. The only plus side is its probably one of the few fully optioned out mazda 6 wagons in the US.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I can do that dismantling cars with hand tools. :colbert

You have more practice, I have to start somewhere

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

A good one is literally invaluable for junkyard pulling. I'm never going without one again. What did you get?

I'm already well into Ryobi so the basic 3 speed. Remembered to order a set of impact sockets too.

Well that made it easier to get everything apart, but I had to wrestle to get the strut back in so it took me like 3 hours to change 1 spring. Other side should be easier them I can get the calipers off and figure out which one (it's going to be both isn't it) needs replacing.

That followed driving the Panda home with a screaming wheel bearing. As that puts me down to one working car out of three it's booked into the garage tomorrow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

I'd rate an N/A VQ-powered Xterra as a bit more reliable than a turbo Jeep.

And that was the point that my wife made that tipped me back into sanity -- yes, it's got a warranty until 2025, but who wants to keep dropping something off at the Jeep dealer to keep getting fixed. Good point. :coal:

But seriously, someone find me a 2016/2017 NX200t with 30-45k miles, (with Nav, heated cooled/seats, heated steering wheel) for under $25k. Thanks!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

And that was the point that my wife made that tipped me back into sanity -- yes, it's got a warranty until 2025, but who wants to keep dropping something off at the Jeep dealer to keep getting fixed.

It works for BMW

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

But seriously, someone find me a 2016/2017 NX200t with 30-45k miles, (with Nav, heated cooled/seats, heated steering wheel) for under $25k. Thanks!

54,000 miles for $26k is the best I can do.

https://www.mchughdodgejeep.com/used/LEXUS/2016-LEXUS-NX-188ecafa0a0e0ae70dfafc7fcea84668.htm

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

I had a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 2.0T with 5k miles as a rental for work last month. It had many, many, many electrical problems. I found the engine/transmission to be frustrating when it worked. I could do a 2-count between pressing the accelerator, and seeing the tachometer rise. I could do a 3-count between the tachometer rising and the transmission downshifting. It made gravelly mooing noises. About a week in, it left me on the side of the road near Georgetown, SC. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, it started knocking, stalled.

I would not recommend a Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0T. I would doubly not recommend one that was a prior rental.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Totally anecdotal but my mother's last two vehicles were x rental units and both have been absolutely trouble-free. Mitsubishi RVR and a grand am before that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

I had a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 2.0T with 5k miles as a rental for work last month. It had many, many, many electrical problems. I found the engine/transmission to be frustrating when it worked. I could do a 2-count between pressing the accelerator, and seeing the tachometer rise. I could do a 3-count between the tachometer rising and the transmission downshifting. It made gravelly mooing noises. About a week in, it left me on the side of the road near Georgetown, SC. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, it started knocking, stalled.

I would not recommend a Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0T. I would doubly not recommend one that was a prior rental.

FWIW, I had a rental n/a 2.0 Jeep Patriot with the CVT, and it liked to bang the rev limiter when you went WOT on it (anything over about 3/4 was like I'd thrown it into neutral), and it could barely hit ~75. It also told some pretty decent knock knock jokes.

It had <20k on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

This is the worst idea anybody has ever had ever.

In other news, WITNESS ME, BLOODBAGS