Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

kinda bummed that Samsung blew up the fold-able devices because Microsoft has been working on them for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I got a mouse for my tablet and right clicking makes it go back, instead of highlighting text. Is there a way to make right click customizable?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I got a mouse for my tablet and right clicking makes it go back, instead of highlighting text. Is there a way to make right click customizable?

Isn't left click for highlighting text with a mouse like everywhere?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

LastInLine posted:

Isn't left click for highlighting text with a mouse like everywhere?

Sorry, I meant selecting highlighted text. I’m used to highlighting then using right click for copy/paste without having it close the window

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Sorry, I meant selecting highlighted text. I’m used to highlighting then using right click for copy/paste without having it close the window

Without a right click menu I would suspect that if a mouse is emulating finger touches that a left click-and-hold would bring up the cut/copy/paste controls just as a long press does with highlighted text in a touch-driven UI. I have no way to test this, but that's the behavior I'd expect.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I hope this is the right thread for this question. I got a new phone, but I can't get my Google home mini to stop ringing my old phone when I use the "the find my phone" function. I searched a bit for a solution, but can't seem to find it. Its probably staring me in the face. Any help?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this question. I got a new phone, but I can't get my Google home mini to stop ringing my old phone when I use the "the find my phone" function. I searched a bit for a solution, but can't seem to find it. Its probably staring me in the face. Any help?

You can try this to see if the old device is still associated with your Google account.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
OxygenOS 9.0.15 OTA for the OnePlus 6T and OxygenOS 9.0.7 OTA for the OnePlus 6

June patch is here along with a builtin screen recorder and better screen rotation. OnePlus 3/3T also got the June patch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

OhFunny posted:

June patch is here along with a builtin screen recorder and better screen rotation. OnePlus 3/3T also got the June patch.

It's excellent that those older phones are still getting updates. I remember a while ago the One Plus phones were found to not actually have all the security patches for a given month, but reported they did in the menu. Is that still a thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's excellent that those older phones are still getting updates. I remember a while ago the One Plus phones were found to not actually have all the security patches for a given month, but reported they did in the menu. Is that still a thing?

I haven't seen any reports on it one way or the other which you can take as nobody has checked or that someone, somewhere has checked and everything was good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Dunno. First I've heard of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Dunno. First I've heard of it.

Well here you go. OP wasn't one of the worst offenders.

Edit: According to the article this app will tell you if the phone is lying about its patch level.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 3, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Edit: According to the article this app will tell you if the phone is lying about its patch level.

Thanks. According to the app none of the patches OP has pushed to my 6T are missing anything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Wow, didn't know about that. Thanks for posting. Ran the test on my G5+, no patches since February but no dropped ones.

e: these are of course valid points, just so we don't think your credit card details are immediately being meme'd on 4chan just because there are some patch holes:

quote:

When WIRED reached out to Google, the company said that it appreciated SRL's research, but responded by pointing out that some of the devices SRL analyzed may not have been Android certified devices, meaning they're not held to Google's standards of security. They noted that modern Android phones have security features that make them difficult to hack even when they do have unpatched security vulnerabilities. And they argued that in some cases, patches might have been missing from devices because the phone vendors responded by simply removing a vulnerable feature from the phone rather than patch it, or the phone didn't have that feature in the first place.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 3, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

incoherent posted:

kinda bummed that Samsung blew up the fold-able devices because Microsoft has been working on them for decades.

It's a shame, hopefully they'll shift their focus to glasses like they should have been doing all along.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have tried. I really tried to get used to, and like the full gesture mode in Q, but drat is it just not near optimal to the 2 button style Pie added. I kept accidentally swiping the edge just enough to back out of stuff I was actively browsing or reading, and the swipe up "slowly" to get to the task list was a pain in the rear end and inconsistent.

Switched back to 2 button and man, immediately everything is easier to navigate. Faster to switch to and a consistent place to tap if I actually do want to go back.

Maybe if they at least made the swipe up more consistent. Hand made the back gesture only on one side of the screen, it might be ok. But I tried real hard for a solid month and just couldn't stop accidentally touching the edge just right to piss me off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have tried. I really tried to get used to, and like the full gesture mode in Q, but drat is it just not near optimal to the 2 button style Pie added. I kept accidentally swiping the edge just enough to back out of stuff I was actively browsing or reading, and the swipe up "slowly" to get to the task list was a pain in the rear end and inconsistent.

Switched back to 2 button and man, immediately everything is easier to navigate. Faster to switch to and a consistent place to tap if I actually do want to go back.

Maybe if they at least made the swipe up more consistent. Hand made the back gesture only on one side of the screen, it might be ok. But I tried real hard for a solid month and just couldn't stop accidentally touching the edge just right to piss me off.

Well it's changing again in the next beta to better accommodate app drawers so they'll get another chance to convert you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm shocked anyone can use either the gestures or the 2 button navigation. Both are UX bollocks to me and I couldn't get used to either, nor did they work consistently at all. Thankfully the 3 button navigation is coming back as an accessibility option in Q :pedo:

Couldn't find the old man in the wheelchair so there's a paedophile with a Teddy 🐻.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

OhFunny posted:

Nice, hopefully I'll get an update in a day or two.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Couldn't find the old man in the wheelchair so there's a paedophile with a Teddy 🐻.

It's : corsair : you sorry excuse for an '05 :colbert: :corsair:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Not blaming you or your wife, but the fact that we're still talking about this sort of thing in 2019 is depressing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm shocked anyone can use either the gestures or the 2 button navigation. Both are UX bollocks to me and I couldn't get used to either, nor did they work consistently at all. Thankfully the 3 button navigation is coming back as an accessibility option in Q :pedo:

You aren't wrong, though I will say that most of the problem is the technical debt rather than the concept. Execution, of course, is also of typical Google quality meaning entirely half assed so once you pile that on top it's no wonder it's an inconsistent mess.

Edit: As if on cue, if your primary (default?) navigation scheme requires you to manually tweak how much the new method interferes with the old method then you might not be pursuing the best idea.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 4, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can someone explain to me why the Google™ Nest™ Hub is constantly falling in price?

What's the catch?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They want you to have one more than you want to have one.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a Version 2 coming out with a camera on it so you could do Duo video chatting with. Of all things that seemed like something it should have had for families that want to video chat without using their phones.

Outside of that, no idea except that their sales are slowing in general because you need/want less of them then say the Home Mini's or something. :whoknows:

Also compared to the 3 button mode, I do actually like 2 button. It seems pretty consistent for what it was designed to do and works really well on my Pixel 2XL. Sure you don't have the double tap to go between the last used apps, but I have gotten pretty used to swiping the pill to swap around that that became a non issue. The full gesture mode though, just doesn't feel fully cooked at all yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a Version 2 coming out with a camera on it so you could do Duo video chatting with. Of all things that seemed like something it should have had for families that want to video chat without using their phones.

Outside of that, no idea except that their sales are slowing in general because you need/want less of them then say the Home Mini's or something. :whoknows:

They do have one with a camera coming, the Nest Home Hub Max but it's in addition to the existing Home Hub, not a replacement for it.

The reason it's so cheap is, as RZA said, they want you to have one. Hell, the Mini has been essentially free since it launched. My wife picked up a Home Hub for her workroom with the YouTube TV $50 coupon so I guess I'll see if it's any good, though we use our Homes so much for music that having a crappy speaker seems like that'd be worse than having no screen.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The gesture navigation is my favorite software feature of the OnePlus 7 Pro, it is miles ahead of what Google did in Pie imo and I much prefer them over the navbar.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Prime Day is coming up and Echo products will be dirt cheap. They want you to opt into their ecosystem before Alexa takes over your home.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Prime Day is coming up and Echo products will be dirt cheap. They want you to opt into their ecosystem before Alexa takes over your home.

This is true too, and I guess it's a good time to note that when they last publicized numbers Amazon had a lead of about 2.55:1 (40m/16m) but over 2018 Google is gaining in marketshare. Really interesting is just how much detail there is in the breakdown on that link.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 4, 2019

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Just picked up a Moto G7, will the pixel camera apk be a substantial upgrade over Moto's app?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
OnePlus doing a trade in deal again. My OnePlus3 has started registering swipes as taps on certain parts of the screen so been thinking about upgrading to the 7. Only offering £75 for it though

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/trade-in?from=ribbon#address/edit

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a home hub. The digital picture frame aspect of it is actually very nice. The ambient light sensor and screen adjustment on it is so good that you sometimes forget it's a digital frame.

It also works well as a kitchen device because it will display the timer on the screen and you can load up YouTube videos for cooking.

For some, the exclusion of a camera might be a plus for privacy reasons, so keep that in mind.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

Just picked up a Moto G7, will the pixel camera apk be a substantial upgrade over Moto's app?

Why'd you get a G7 instead of a Pixel 3a? I just bought my wife a 3a after comparing all the U.S. mid-range options and I thought it was an easy decision.

The Moto G series was a great buy at $200 a couple years ago but now it's 2019 and the G7 is $300

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

always be closing posted:

Yes. It's also free to try and takes but a couple minutes of your time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I have a home hub. The digital picture frame aspect of it is actually very nice. The ambient light sensor and screen adjustment on it is so good that you sometimes forget it's a digital frame.

It also works well as a kitchen device because it will display the timer on the screen and you can load up YouTube videos for cooking.

For some, the exclusion of a camera might be a plus for privacy reasons, so keep that in mind.

I mean I'm going to find out in like three days but just how bad is the speaker for music? The main reason we have so many Homes is because of the good, bassy speaker.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's : corsair : you sorry excuse for an '05 :colbert: :corsair:

Argh, couldn't see it in the list, though some emoji didn't spawn. Also what's corsair and how why is he in a wheelchair?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Argh, couldn't see it in the list, though some emoji didn't spawn. Also what's corsair and how why is he in a wheelchair?

It's based on a poster called corsair iirc who was actually an old guy.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LastInLine posted:

I mean I'm going to find out in like three days but just how bad is the speaker for music? The main reason we have so many Homes is because of the good, bassy speaker.

I don't put my small speakers under heavy scrutiny as far as sound goes, so I'm probably not the best judge for this, but our sounds fine for music.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Khablam posted:

Yes. It's also free to try and takes but a couple minutes of your time.

I've tried the pixel app a couple times on my s9+ but every time it crashes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

It's based on a poster called corsair iirc who was actually an old guy.

Flips sake. I was trying old, man, chair, wheels, grumpy, grump, and all manner of terms I won't name.

These things need tags.