Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

quote:

I would be saying I don't think you speak for your client anymore.

Man this administration and having to deal with one of the worst clients ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

:bisonyes:

Big fan of the "gently caress off, 2 PM Friday is the deadline"

I feel a bit sorry for the DoJ attorney, especially with that "you don't speak for your client" jab.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Eminent Domain posted:

:bisonyes:

Big fan of the "gently caress off, 2 PM Friday is the deadline"

I feel a bit sorry for the DoJ attorney, especially with that "you don't speak for your client" jab.

Not to mention to having another bloke cutting in halfway through and totally undermining what he had been doing on their teams behalf...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Munin posted:

Not to mention to having another bloke cutting in halfway through and totally undermining what he had been doing on their teams behalf...

And that bloke being your boss.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Can't access, Cliff notes?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hoshi posted:

Can't access, Cliff notes?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Southern District of Maryland posted:

MR. GARDNER: Your Honor, this is Mr. Gardner. The
one thing I would request is, given that tomorrow is the Fourth
of July and the difficulty in assembling people from all over
the place, is it possible that we could do this on Monday?

THE COURT: No.

Southern District of Maryland posted:

If you were Facebook and an attorney for Facebook told me
one thing, and then I read a press release from Mark Zuckerberg
telling me something else, I would be demanding that Mark
Zuckerberg appear in court with you the next time because I
would be saying I don't think you speak for your client anymore

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
having my share of moron clients who directly and publicly contravene my express instructions, I feel for Mr. Gardner

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Is Mr. Gardner's behavior on someone's list

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yoda posted:

MR. GARDNER: Your Honor, this is Mr. Gardner. The
one thing I would request is, given that tomorrow is the Fourth
of July and the difficulty in assembling people from all over
the place, is it possible that we could do this on Monday?

THE COURT: No.

"THE COURT: Mr Gardner, I know you're on vacation, and so I hated to interrupt that."

joat mon posted:

And that bloke being your boss.

It usually is.

Munin fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 4, 2019

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Thanks for sharing, wow that has to be a real pill to swallow professionally

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
This is what's going on in Michigan. The (now former) judge in question has some felony charges pending (perjury, tampering with evidence, and obstruction of justice) too. State Bar hasn't taken its shot yet, but I suspect that's coming.

http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/formal_complaints_and_disciplined_judges/docs/FC99.MSCopinion.pdf

Our Supreme Court didn't put a lot of heavy lifting into their opinion, relying mostly on the recommendation of the Judicial Tenure Commission.

If you want to go all the way down the rabbit hole, pretty much every document that's been filed is available on the JTC website:

http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/formal_complaints_and_disciplined_judges/pending_formal_comlplaints.php

The Special Master's report is quite comprehensive.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Munin posted:

"THE COURT: Mr Gardner, I know you're on vacation, and so I hated to interrupt that."

It usually is.

Lmao

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1146740683119742978?s=21

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Who's working today? Who's telling their families they "just have to go in for a couple hours" but really just want to hide in their office for a while?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

This is what's going on in Michigan. The (now former) judge in question has some felony charges pending (perjury, tampering with evidence, and obstruction of justice) too. State Bar hasn't taken its shot yet, but I suspect that's coming.

http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/formal_complaints_and_disciplined_judges/docs/FC99.MSCopinion.pdf

Our Supreme Court didn't put a lot of heavy lifting into their opinion, relying mostly on the recommendation of the Judicial Tenure Commission.

If you want to go all the way down the rabbit hole, pretty much every document that's been filed is available on the JTC website:

http://jtc.courts.mi.gov/formal_complaints_and_disciplined_judges/pending_formal_comlplaints.php

my friends who do family law over there were hoping she gets burned at the stake lol

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Alaemon posted:

My wife's family lives in Brighton. This is incredible stuff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Who's working today? Who's telling their families they "just have to go in for a couple hours" but really just want to hide in their office for a while?

I’m working going through arbitration transcripts and building a written closing argument. I have some arguments that might work. I spent over an hour on the phone with client explaining math on tuesday. My hours are at normal pay because i’m still working 1099.

School is awesome though.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Alaemon posted:

The Master’s report is one hell of a read. So has this judge expressed contrition of any sort?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Tokelau All Star posted:

8 lectures on employment discrimination, 9 on crim law, and two essays to write.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

El_Elegante posted:

The Master’s report is one hell of a read. So has this judge expressed contrition of any sort?

She hasn't made public statements (other than testifying, etc), as far as I know. Her attorney's strategy, near as I can tell, is to double down at every opportunity. He accused the master of sexism, etc. The oral arguments before our Supreme Court are uploaded on Youtube, I forgot to mention that part.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Screw that, I'm going to a barbecue and leaving my work phone at home.

(An advantage to non profit work, second only government work)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
state employee. Probably not going in tomorrow either.

We're down judges, so nothing is getting scheduled. I may not go in Monday either.

Wait. I'm definitely not.

Father's wake.

Yeah. That happened. It blows.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Aw poo poo, condolences AR.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I’m sorry AR. :h:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

My condolences. :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m sorry AR. My dad has been very sick for over a year and is also near the end. It’s tough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My condolences AR.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Condolences, AR. May his memory be as a blessing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oof, sorry AR. That’s a rough week.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sorry AR. You too Phil.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
thanks. It's been a long time coming. So it's not like it was a surprise. And I'm generally weird about death. My grandfather ran a funeral home out of his house. When the number of dead bodies you've seen is already creeping up on 100 before you hit high school, it sort of gives you a rather "this is a normal thing" view.

The most difficult part of funerals of family for me is hiding in the corner to avoid saying something that I think is logical and helpful, but is apparently just insensitive and borderline sociopathic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Condolences.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well crap. That sucks AR, my condolences.

ActusRhesus posted:

The most difficult part of funerals of family for me is hiding in the corner to avoid saying something that I think is logical and helpful, but is apparently just insensitive and borderline sociopathic.

Everyone deals with it differently, I suppose. I don't do so well at funerals. My go-to is to tell good stories and anecdotes about that time when and not to try any platitudes.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m sorry AR. My dad has been very sick for over a year and is also near the end. It’s tough.

Sorry to hear that. I still have both of my parents but they are pretty typical boomers and don't have a healthy lifestyle, so I'm expecting not good things in the next few years. Lucky for them health care is free.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ActusRhesus posted:

This is extremely me. Beyond a personality trait, I've also found this is common with criminal litigators generally.

Don't forget to take care of yourself.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Condolences

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Sorry for your loss, AR.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Condolences. My stepdad's funeral is this weekend, so I sympathize.

Also, it's your dad, you can say what you want and anyone whom, y'know, wasn't his child can just take it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry for your loss AR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I’m sorry AR.