Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Hey goons! Been procrastinating on posting my courses, but I figured I'd finally get around to it. I thought I wasn't going to like the course making aspect of this game, but I'm actually enjoying it a whole lot! Planning on trying out a bunch of goon courses, since normal and easy endless modes are getting a little grindy. I'd appreciate folks trying my stuff out too!

Kamek's Magic Shop - 6MW-6WJ-RJG
I built this course to test out making a shop in Mario Maker 2. Fetch 3 trampolines and exchange them for items at Kamek's Magic Shop.

Galoomba Forest Trail - Y39-L6N-B1H
This is an easy level I built to experiment with making terrain with slopes. I think it looks pretty!

Pierced and Crushed at Haunt Hill - 1RQ-44G-QMF
A difficult level based around ZR jumping on Thwomps and Spinies.

Icicle Canyon - M0S-HPH-SWF
A medium difficult course built around playing with icicle mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Made two levels so far

Up Tops
9CB-BVC-NNF
Simple stage with a barely hidden upper alternative path

Highwater Chemtrails
LWV-W6Q-L2G
Airship level featuring a modest challenge and probably too many powerups.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Ok, so my suggestion to the person who is building out https://randomactsofmario.com/, is that when you click "give me another level", it should be a situation where we can give kudos to good levels or bash bad levels. So there are now two buttons instead of one. "This level sucked give me another" - "This level was great give me another" - and then the algorithm that shows a person a new level would be slightly weighted on whether a level has + or - clicks after it has been seen by a goon.

So this could be a goon filter even before Nintendo's filter.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Evil Eagle posted:

Super Leaf Citadel
QMK-KJ1-BLG

A simple fortress course based on the Super Leaf.

Nice, I really liked this one! The alternate path to get a star was fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Course obsolete.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 4, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

New level up!

Let's Get 'em, Big Bro!
G5N-96F-GBG
Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This is a remake of one of my absolute favorite MM1 levels that I did but with some updates. Enemies appear in big+little team-ups to defeat Mario and friends. I take heavy inspiration from SMB1 level design concepts but give them a Mario Maker twist. This is a cute kid friendly level but still has some challenge to it.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 4, 2019

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I realized my level had a potential failstate, so I remade it.

Trapped in the Wizard's Archvives
3DJ-23M-X0G

Is there a way I can get the ID updated on the sheet? Hopefully I can pump out a few actual new levels over the long weekend.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My first uploaded level:

Head in the Clouds
GM5-G80-6DF

Nothing fancy, tried to make a classic Nintendo-style level with some platforming and a couple secrets

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

beerinator posted:

Whose project is this? It's great. If any help is needed, send me a PM. I'm a full stack guy that can lend a hand. Hopefully some sort of API is released soon.
Funnily enough, the poster you quoted made it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm weird and actually want to get used to editing with the controller, and I believe I started doing this while undocked. However, once I tried touch controls, I don't seem to have the option to go back to the controller. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to go back to using the controller?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

Second Course and would love some feedback.

Kamek's Magic Mayhem Airship.

GR5-TB6-DTG

When you've already got the magikoopas dropping keys the clear condition is redundant and you lose the ability to put in a desperately needed checkpoint. Watch for having fish drop on players heads when they're stuck on a slow moving block.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

My first uploaded level:

Head in the Clouds
GM5-G80-6DF

Nothing fancy, tried to make a classic Nintendo-style level with some platforming and a couple secrets

Decent overall but be careful that the camera can see the ground when players need to get down off the platforms or they'll fall into pits. Might be why the clear rate was only 5% when I got to it.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 4, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got some bad personal news today so spent most of it just sulking about. Didn't plan on making a level during this period but it turns out it was what I needed to get my mind off things. Please give it a try if you like classic levels. I honestly tried to make this feel as authentic as possible and I think I hit it just right. (Aside from lifting one part directly from Mario 3. I'm shameless there)

Purple Pipes in the Dusty Dunes

Gonna be focusing more on playing goon levels tomorrow again so I hope this is a good final level for a small break :ohdear:

E: Argh need to fix the code

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

J-Spot posted:

When you've already got the magikoopas dropping keys the clear condition is redundant and you lose the ability to put in a desperately needed checkpoint. Watch for having fish drop on players heads when they're stuck on a slow moving block.

Thanks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made an underwater autoscroll lev... wait come back...

I promise I tried to make it easier than I normally do.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can the spreadsheet get updated? I hosed up a C and a G on Purple Pipes in the Dusty Dunes

The real code is 696 - JBY - 7QG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for more random goon stages:

These coins belong in a museum?
957-NFN-81H
By: Defenestrategy

I get what you were trying to do which is why I didn't boo the stage for the invisible death brick, but the level concept just tells me "I can't trust the creator." Are one of these coins actually obtainable through some cleverness? It subverts the intention of your level to have players trying to creatively beat it before just going on to the end.

Monster Recycling Plant
7GJ-LHK-3WF
By: bumblebadger

Really great theming and I do enjoy giving players a machine to work with. I liked how if you got up the crane climb once you got the shell to let you avoid dying. I ran into some problems with the first machine since the claw had trouble picking up the big beetles; it would grab them going down, immediately release them, then not pick them up again. Still, over all very nice.

Jam levels from this point on.

Fire in the Sky
R60-QFD-QWF
By: Live Free

It's a well built level, but it's yet another hitting the switch to open a path/shell bouncing to alternate the platforms level.

Retro Switch Medley
9PW-489-WQF
By: jivjov

Don't remake SMB1 levels.

Underwater Castle Very Hard
W8D-S97-9GG
By: Tnega

I wouldn't say "Very Hard". Maybe "Slightly Above Normal Difficulty" if I was being generous. I spent too much time trying to bait the magikoopas into making things out of the bricks to see if I could cheat my way later. Using switches to control the crushers was nice, but didn't really stretch the concept too far.

Crane Game Grove
WB3-CR4-B2H
By: Live Free

The fun in a crane game is trying to pick your prize, but on this stage you have to pick up every item in turn and slowly wait for the crane to cycle back to pick up the next one in the line. It makes it kind of boring.

Toxic Friendship
PMH-VKY-3VF
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

Over all, an okay "keep the thing at the top of the screen going" level that's pretty easy except one part. Spinning on the spike top is slightly tricky, but having to vary your jumps while doing that ups the difficulty a lot. It's a giant spike for just that one spot.

TimePod: Cold Past, Bleak Future
BHD-JWX-WJF
By: Rather Watch Them

Really great use of the switch to alter the layout of the stage and force the player to look back and forth. And I liked that you used a consistent "device" to let players change things around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Updated

068-1SP-RKF

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

I present the first segment of my "traditional" style Super Mario game. Welcome to Woodland Kingdom, featuring the following stages:
1) Cheep Cheep Creek
2) Creeper Cavern
3) Muncher Meadows
4) Sawmill Sabotage

Here's the code for my Maker profile, where you'll find the stages in descending order: 4G4-S5H-LRF

What can you expect from the traditional style?
- Levels will be straight forward, centered around a few gimmicks of escalating difficulty.
- Each stage has 3 bonus coins (10, 30, 50) to obtain as part of bonus objectives. There are also secret power ups.
- Each world will feature 3 regular levels and a boss "castle". Once they increase the upload cap beyond 32, I'll probably expand.

Also, I've been playing and commenting on some other poster levels. Here are a few fun ones worth playing!

Quicker Than The Sand T30-M52-QWF
The Wrecking Ruins HQQ-0PY-C6G
Cold Feet C8Q-TJW-FFG

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I've made three levels so far - would appreciate input from someone willing to try a novice level-maker's stuff out.

Switch and Slide
W82-RKL-9YF
This one is a simple "challenge" course centered mostly around wallslides and switch blocks, with a thwomp spin jump at the end. It was my first level, so it's pretty basic.
It's also the only one anyone has played because I linked it to a streamer.

Jump Plumber
C27-YRL-7LG
Jump King inspired level; automatically terrible as a result. Please play it and tell me how much you hate it.

Mario's Aerial Heist
JGL-L8J-GLF
Experimenting with the 3D World kit. Mario boards an airship, beats up its owner, and steals their coins, before making a daring escape on a flying 'carpet'.
I really hate that I can't both set a clear condition and a checkpoint. Seems like something you can overcome with clever level design, but I'm not there yet.

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Here is another one I just did. My kids requested I make them a course they can play and I decided to upload it. It's quick and very easy, probably a little too easy.

T&Z's Winter Wonderland
DJQ-P3H-8VG

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

I made an underwater autoscroll lev... wait come back...

I promise I tried to make it easier than I normally do.

I thought this was a cool idea that made really clever use of the course elements. Unfortunately if you were trying to make this easy I'd say you failed. Whenever those twister guys show up trying to push you into the spikes it got to be too much with the porcupuffer also in play and I kept dying.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can the spreadsheet get updated? I hosed up a C and a G on Purple Pipes in the Dusty Dunes

This was fun. I think I had a harder time with this than I probably should have, maybe because the stage layout was already challenging without the wind effect screwing me up.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Updated

068-1SP-RKF

Much improved. The checkpoints make this so much more playable. I was able to beat it this time and I'm glad because you had some cool arenas here.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's some levels I've been working on over the week.

Here's my game jam level. Ended up giving me a lot of trouble cause I kept needing to iron out weird interactions that could possibly lead to a fail state or something. Hopefully, it works fine now. It's a decently long level, but there's some secrets to be found, and it shouldn't be too hard.
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1146620567027478531

This level's a very straightforward, pure platforming deal. It's pretty hard but also pretty short.
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1146619985378201600

This last level to be honest I made for myself. It's based off of an old SMM1 level of mine that I kept replaying every so often. From the limited feedback I've gotten, I presume that it is very difficult, but if you want to try it, here it is.
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1146619157938524160

I also fixed up and re-uploaded a level. Repeating Riches ID# K5P-J5T-RHG

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I thought this was a cool idea that made really clever use of the course elements. Unfortunately if you were trying to make this easy I'd say you failed. Whenever those twister guys show up trying to push you into the spikes it got to be too much with the porcupuffer also in play and I kept dying.

I'll just say that any time you see a spiral or circle of coins, that's my hint that there's space to do a loop around him so he'll end up farther back.

I kind of wish the cheep cheeps would stop getting stuck on him, though.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
The Thing About a Cheep Cheep
DQ9-K9Q-RKF
It's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes.

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
I made a stupid level, but I actually use it to practice turtle shell jumps from SMW.
GFG-BYP-38G

Best way I've found is to run toward the wall with the shell and about 3 blocks to the left of the wall let go and let the d pad go neutral while holding jump

Again, this is stupid, but maybe you can learn something from it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkLich posted:

I present the first segment of my "traditional" style Super Mario game. Welcome to Woodland Kingdom, featuring the following stages:
1) Cheep Cheep Creek
2) Creeper Cavern
3) Muncher Meadows
4) Sawmill Sabotage

Here's the code for my Maker profile, where you'll find the stages in descending order: 4G4-S5H-LRF

What can you expect from the traditional style?
- Levels will be straight forward, centered around a few gimmicks of escalating difficulty.
- Each stage has 3 bonus coins (10, 30, 50) to obtain as part of bonus objectives. There are also secret power ups.
- Each world will feature 3 regular levels and a boss "castle". Once they increase the upload cap beyond 32, I'll probably expand.

Also, I've been playing and commenting on some other poster levels. Here are a few fun ones worth playing!

Quicker Than The Sand T30-M52-QWF
The Wrecking Ruins HQQ-0PY-C6G
Cold Feet C8Q-TJW-FFG

Nice levels! I thought the 3rd was the toughest. Creeper Cavern was probably the most fun to me.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
While I am aware of the existence of other discords, I threw one up for testing levels with semi-immediate feedback instead of :justpost:ing to the spreadsheet: Link
Back to the mines:

Baking Soda Bridge WD4-YJD-3XF
There were probably secrets under the bridge, I unfortunatly had no desire tocheck them out given the high number of enemies.
Uncle Autoscroll's Spookhouse F71-TYS-SFG
Conceptually, this level is bad, there are sound effects that give flases of light for the whole level, use them in the coin section. While the level isn't actually hard it would be the sort of level I would skip, as it screams "I put Kaizo blocks over a pit at the end, lol" You didn't, but why risk a run?
Super Mario Soldier TPT-3CH-5WG
This level was deleted and.. broken into 2?
Cross the Poison River W27-MW5-0KG
I wound up just flyning over it with the cape, which is a shame, because the level is actually good, peobably a bit too many fish.
Meowser's Bad Breakup P5N - XFG - 5SF
The jump after the first fire bro was akward, I didnt like having to re-fight meowser after dieing. Level is fine.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's now 696 - JBY - 7QG in the spreadsheet.

Tnega posted:

While I am aware of the existence of other discords, I threw one up for testing levels with semi-immediate feedback instead of :justpost:ing to the spreadsheet: Link
Back to the mines:

Baking Soda Bridge WD4-YJD-3XF
There were probably secrets under the bridge, I unfortunatly had no desire tocheck them out given the high number of enemies.

I added this to the OP.

I didn't really expect the average player to look for those secrets but you were on the right trail so that's a success.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 4, 2019

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Have 4-5 ideas bubbling around at the same time, ended up saving them all so I can load and craft as I get bright ideas. Ended up setting my super leaf level aside when I realized I had enough ideas to make a level for the Level Jam!

P!-Pipe Panic!!
4B1-50P-84G

A level centered around the other kind of switch! Pay attention to coins! I found the level played differently based on player speed which was satisfying, If you can move at 100% speed you can clear the last part easily, but if you delay at all things get tough fast. I naturally stumbled across a few fun ideas that I think would work well expanded into full levels, like how reliably I was able to get the chain chomps to follow Mario even around corners I thought would be too complicated.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 4, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

Random Acts of Mario now shows Jam Entries (and allows searching for them) in case you to give them a go!

I'm going to add a column to the main spreadsheet for Blitz levels. I assume this won't harm your site's output, but keep an eye out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Time for more random goon stages:

These coins belong in a museum?
957-NFN-81H
By: Defenestrategy

I get what you were trying to do which is why I didn't boo the stage for the invisible death brick, but the level concept just tells me "I can't trust the creator." Are one of these coins actually obtainable through some cleverness? It subverts the intention of your level to have players trying to creatively beat it before just going on to the end.

The level isn't about the coins we don't have, but the coin we found along the way.

A goon figured out how to get three coins, which was impressive.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

How do we delete a level from the spreadsheet? I removed my level "Golden Ghosts" because it wasn't very good and it wasn't getting many plays anyway.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Lobster posted:

How do we delete a level from the spreadsheet? I removed my level "Golden Ghosts" because it wasn't very good and it wasn't getting many plays anyway.

Got it.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Had to break for a few days and I guess kaizo MM2 has gotten a lot more powerful in that time because I just beat Barb's Terminator level and it's bar none the coolest of its kind I've played so far. Extremely satisfying flow and intuitive maneuvers. Barb's really a master of his craft, the stuff he concocts is so much more interesting than 30 variations of a shell jump in a row or just a full sprint in NSMBU for 30 seconds with prescribed jumps. Angle and momentum control and quick thinking are a lot more important and he's always got a glut of setups and concepts I haven't seen in another kaizo level.

Highly recommended if you want to get really intimate with 3D World's mechanics really quickly. It's definitely hard but it's two sections of reasonable length with a checkpoint in between. It's not 0.06% hard by any measure or anywhere near it. I think the much wider audience without 3 years of built-up experience with this kind of design being curious in checking it out are what's leading to that. That's the kind of prohibitive clear rate that's reserved for like, Panga's higher-end stuff. So don't be intimidated from trying it if you've got a taste for this kind of thing. You're not gonna be walking into a dansalvato level here.

It's MSS-PYL-WLG.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMPfY8jO28

It's the only clear I could find sorry about random Twitch dude.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My first original, non-joke level is up for the Try Switch Jam/:

https://twitter.com/tayter_swift/status/1146638975915814912?s=21

Balancing Act
29W-JH0-VFF

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 4, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1146636107859156992

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Here's a level I made after thinking about how much I like Mario enemies. They're all so cute!

Beckon The Bullies - 4QM-WQ6-KPG

Let me know if it's unclear how to grab their attention (hint: it's jumping). Any feedback is appreciated!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I made an extremely normal level, "Mushroom View Valley," GFG-X86-M2G

I followed most of the Dogmario 95 (c.f. Dogme 95) rules too

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I... I didn't know Magikoopas could do this.
https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146642114589016065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh yeah, they'll gently caress you up.