Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

megadrought is much, much, much, much, much more likely to nuke the west than the cascadia rubberband

megadrought followed by mega firestorms lol

phoenix is gunna be the first big-o casualty tho, i'm excited :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jose posted:

they're all going to die when the cascadia subduction zone goes and you get a bigger earthquake than the san andreas fault is capable of producing. last time it went off the tsunami hit japan in 1700 lol

also the way plate tectonics and poo poo work, subduction zone earthquakes are actually the weakest of the ground motion damaging type, they operate on a longer period that dont resonate with things like clay, even though they do put out more energy (moment magnitude) than a typical strike-slip fault.

that said, real big tsunami is a possibility but in terms of actual direct-EQ damage, i wouldn't worry too much about the cascadia subduction zone

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

megadrought followed by mega firestorms lol

phoenix is gunna be the first big-o casualty tho, i'm excited :pray:

A geostorm, you say?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

red alert was about the GOP type of red all along :negative:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SKULL.GIF posted:

maybe people shouldn't live in these areas

good idea, let's just resettle everyone between the tropics of cancer and capricorn, there definitely won't be any issues with that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

also the way plate tectonics and poo poo work, subduction zone earthquakes are actually the weakest of the ground motion damaging type, they operate on a longer period that dont resonate with things like clay, even though they do put out more energy (moment magnitude) than a typical strike-slip fault.

that said, real big tsunami is a possibility but in terms of actual direct-EQ damage, i wouldn't worry too much about the cascadia subduction zone

aren't we still something like ~300 years early from being "overdue" on the next one from that fault

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
We're also probably 150 years early for all this permafrost melt at this point but here we are!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
the most recent month where the monthly global average temperature was cooler than the average monthly global annual temperature was february 1985. 34 years ago. the median global population age is 31 years old. over half the global population has not been alive for a month that was cooler than average.
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/global-climate-201904

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Hey what about carbon-eating algae that are light enough to be aeresolized and sprayed into the atmosphere?

I'm just the ideas guy someone else will have to work on the details I'll be asleep under the desk in the conference room because I worked so hard on this

we could dry it out, burn it as fuel, and get it into the atmosphere much more efficiently

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

julian assflange posted:

Fucks sake. Ireland is getting the temperature but still raining. It will be like Florida basically :argh:

Just wait until the Gulf Stream collapses fam, then Britain and Ireland will become unliveable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aren't we still something like ~300 years early from being "overdue" on the next one from that fault

Apparently it's overdue right now and could see so e wild effects when it happens. Like 6 foot drop in height and expanding 100 feet West when the North American continental plate finally rebounds with a 9.2 earthquake

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one/amp

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

im excited for your hotel balcony drained to get clogged with a mile high pile of tsunami debris, jose

and then the water to start climbing up the window while you in the long term remain safe while providing a fun disaster report

:stoked:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Truniht posted:

Just wait until the Gulf Stream collapses fam, then Britain and Ireland will become unliveable

Nah when the thermohaline collapses it'll counteract the warming because it won't be cycling heat out of the gulf to Europe any more, bing bong boom brexit means brexit

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this is an article about a terrible contract given to a player in the NHL but it had the side effect of me going :matters:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PostNouveau posted:

A geostorm, you say?

Geoooooooo stoooooooooooooooorm

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

Apparently it's overdue right now and could see so e wild effects when it happens. Like 6 foot drop in height and expanding 100 feet West when the North American continental plate finally rebounds with a 9.2 earthquake

here's that author's followup about the inevitable cascadia quake

quote:

Are we overdue for the Cascadia earthquake?

No, although I heard that word a lot after the piece was published. As DOGAMI’s Ian Madin told me, “You’re not overdue for an earthquake until you’re three standard deviations beyond the mean”—which, in the case of the full-margin Cascadia earthquake, means eight hundred years from now. (In the case of the “smaller” Cascadia earthquake, the magnitude 8.0 to 8.6 that would affect only the southern part of the zone, we’re currently one standard deviation beyond the mean.) That doesn’t mean that the quake won’t happen tomorrow; it just means we are not “overdue” in any meaningful sense. The odds I cite in the story are correct: there is a thirty-per-cent chance of the M8.0**–8.6 Cascadia earthquake and a ten-per-cent chance of the M8.7–**9.2 earthquake in the next fifty years.

it's a good article, has lotsa nice maps for the people living there who will most def get erased

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

get that OUT of my face posted:

this is an article about a terrible contract given to a player in the NHL but it had the side effect of me going :matters:

Now to be fair it's probably more efficient to burn the bottles yourself instead of recycling them so they can be shipped to a plant that burns them for you. You're just cutting out the middleman!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Now to be fair it's probably more efficient to burn the bottles yourself instead of recycling them so they can be shipped to a plant that burns them for you. You're just cutting out the middleman!
you're not helping!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jose posted:

earthquake recurrence models are largely poo poo and super unknown. like there's several competing models, you have the simple time-dependent poisson model which sucks. then theres argument if smaller earthquakes lead to energy reduction for further earthquakes by relieving strain, or if it causes more strain within the fault. almost all the development of recurrence models is for strike-slip, and very poor and unknown correlation to subduction ground motions.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

maybe people shouldn't live in these areas

SELL THEIR HOUSES TO WHO, BEN? THE loving HUMAN TORCH?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

SELL THEIR HOUSES TO WHO, BEN? THE loving HUMAN TORCH?

No sales, just pick up and walk away like every other refugee has in history.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Addamere posted:

No sales, just pick up and walk away like every other refugee has in history.

The US government has even been setting up refugee camps along the southern border to use!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, you're joking but what actual alternative is there for people in those areas at this stage? The pool of buyers will become smaller every year, so the prospect of actually recovering value or cutting losses also dwindles.

Most of the people living in affected areas are just going to have to either stay there and die or pick up and leave with no aid or compensation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Addamere posted:

I mean, you're joking but what actual alternative is there for people in those areas at this stage? The pool of buyers will become smaller every year, so the prospect of actually recovering value or cutting losses also dwindles.

Most of the people living in affected areas are just going to have to either stay there and die or pick up and leave with no aid or compensation.

set up big renewable energy farms/plants in the area so there's an economic base beyond a handful of shops for retirees

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Epic High Five posted:

set up big renewable energy farms/plants in the area so there's an economic base beyond a handful of shops for retirees

are you implying giving them some sort of new...deal? a green one at that???

*commie klaxon goes off wildly*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
why hasn't the miami real estate market turned downward yet

they're still up uP UP there it makes no sense

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Capitalism cannot fail,

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Whether isn't climate, rising sea levels is a chinese conspiracy, machine learning AI will figure something out.

Addamere posted:

Capitalism cannot fail,

Number can only go up.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Up up up above the rising sea level, they're safe there.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fresh new beach replacement sand discovered under melting greenland ice, miami is safe for another 1000 years

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Seems normal

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1146368268158021632?s=19

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failson posted:

Whether isn't climate, rising sea levels is a chinese conspiracy, machine learning AI will figure something out.

Number can only go up.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
someone will invent pumps for houses that pump out the water faster than it can flow into the house (with gator filter)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wanna keep the gators if you can, that's valuable protein in a world where other sources of meat become scarce.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

must be wealthy foreigners and elderly bankers buying up vacation homes and investment properties. because Miami is an economic garbage fire so it makes no sense for locals to be buying there, especially since most of them are desperately poor

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Addamere posted:

Wanna keep the gators if you can, that's valuable protein in a world where other sources of meat become scarce.

families will be rationed a certain footage of invasive python meat per week

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Main Paineframe posted:

must be wealthy foreigners and elderly bankers buying up vacation homes and investment properties. because Miami is an economic garbage fire so it makes no sense for locals to be buying there, especially since most of them are desperately poor

this but everywhere

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Geostorm is a good rear end movie wherein the spaceship or whatever has a robot lady voice that says "Five Minutes Fifty One Seconds To Self-Destruct."

Not six minutes, not every fifteen seconds, 5:51. Someone programmed the boat to say that, specifically.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
All the earthquake and volcano models are poo poo because they don't account for us pissing off the planet and it's slow but sure and thorough revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

greater fool theory and miami is where south america launders their money