Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SocketWrench posted:

I love how during this administration's run whenever something insanely bad pops up and they make a claim trying to sweep it away, a few days later more stuff surfaces that makes it even worse

Of course, the headline implies that CBP were also aware of this under Obama. I think it's become obvious that Obama had little control over these chuds and had no real inclination to change that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Majorian posted:

It was September-ish of last year IIRC. CHUDs angrily burning their Nikes on youtube. Good stuff.

Some while still wearing them

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

My understanding is that after about 2300 of the 4000 absentee/affidavit votes were tossed, they remainder that were counted broke Katz way by... I think 11% more than her ED voting share was the number I saw. That was enough to close the gap and put her over.

The 20 vote margin means an automatic hand recount of course. Caban's campaign is going to work to get those 2300 invalidated votes reinstated, naturally.

A lot of people are crying fraud because NYC Machine Politics and hand-picking votes is right out of the Boss Tweed playbook. I think that's kind of tinfoil hat-ish given the facts thus far. It was always going to be an insanely close race. We'll have to see how the recount and the court fight plays out. That being said I think a lot of people are going to go to their grave assuming this was stolen unless those votes are reinstated and sit home on DA election day, so I hope they get brought back in.
I'm trying to reconcile the bolded part with the sentence right before it, we appears to justify having no faith in these results or the process that led to them. Care to help me out?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s funny because while it is good that a black girl is now Ariel, it’s sad since the Disney live action remakes don’t exactly have a great track record so far.

I dunno, I liked Malificent. It was awesome seeing something behind her character to provide her motivations rather than being evil of evils just for the sake of being evil.
BatB however can be shot into the sun

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I always thought she was mad about not being able to wash.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SocketWrench posted:

I dunno, I liked Malificent. It was awesome seeing something behind her character to provide her motivations rather than being evil of evils just for the sake of being evil.
BatB however can be shot into the sun

What was wrong with BatB? I wanted to see it but circumstances kept interrupting and I lost interest over time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kith posted:

What was wrong with BatB? I wanted to see it but circumstances kept interrupting and I lost interest over time.

The direct live action remakes of the 90s Disney Renaissance films have mostly been bland retellings designed to encourage nostalgia and sometimes address perceived flaws. They’ve also played into Disney’s ongoing efforts to basically pinkwash itself and it’s utter terribleness with a faux layer of wokeness, even if the James Gunn fiasco demonstrates that they’ll immediately cave to chud pressure when its expedient.

Maleficent was interesting because it was attempting to be a different take on the source material and is kind of actually edgy and politically out there for something Disney branded, but most of the other live action remakes have been very safe and boring.

Disney would also really really like us to all forget how racist a lot of their output was before Tangled and yet they keep reminding us of it since everyone is nostalgic for the ‘90s animated canon.

In this context I wish they would take more shots at original works (or at least, as original as a Disney feature can be) featuring POC main characters like Moana and Princess and the Frog - neither of which are necessarily perfect movies or even bastions of good representation at a minimum, but at least they’re offering something approximating original content instead of “what if story we already did but we recast the lead as black?” That’s fine, but they can do more and instead are trying to skate on the minimum basically.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I'm trying to reconcile the bolded part with the sentence right before it, we appears to justify having no faith in these results or the process that led to them. Care to help me out?

Because I think an 11% shift in voting share (assuming that number I heard is correct) in the absentee ballots is reasonable and therefore potentially real? The race was insanely close anyway. Unless there is some kind of data from previous elections to show that this kind of shift in the absentees is a significant anomaly, I think it's entirely possible that Caban just lost fairly by a very small number of votes.

I hope she didn't. I hope those excluded votes from the absentees are readmitted, if only for the sake of the race's integrity. I hope that Caban's lawyers fight tooth and nail for every ballot, which is much easier to do since we're in a hand-recount. And that they turn the tide back to her, which at a 20 vote margin is far from impossible. But I'm not willing to jump to conspiracy and stolen elections on the facts in front of me, and I don't think anyone else should either.

That's not to say that that time won't come during the recount process. If a corrupt-rear end queens judge hands down an obviously bullshit finding on those discounted ballots, I'll shout Stolen Election from the rooftops, believe me.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kith posted:

I haven’t seen it either, but my understanding is that Beauty & the Beast was mostly just a bland remake that addressed a few questions people had about the original movie about as cynically as possible. Gaston goes kill-crazy because PTSD! Belle doesn’t have a mom because she died of plague!

I’m personally salty that they didn’t try to deconstruct Dumbo because there’s a typical rock-star story there: trying to escape confinement by becoming a celebrity but instead you’ve just been moved from a dingy cage to a golden one. But instead they let Tim Burton go and burton it up. :sigh:

Tying it back to politics it’s all indicative of how risk averse our media is, and it’s a miracle that Malificent started this ‘series’ as Disney’s version of Kill Bill.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 4, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

The direct live action remakes of the 90s Disney Renaissance films have mostly been bland retellings designed to encourage nostalgia and sometimes address perceived flaws. They’ve also played into Disney’s ongoing efforts to basically pinkwash itself and it’s utter terribleness with a faux layer of wokeness, even if the James Gunn fiasco demonstrates that they’ll immediately cave to chud pressure when its expedient.

Maleficent was interesting because it was attempting to be a different take on the source material and is kind of actually edgy and politically out there for something Disney branded, but most of the other live action remakes have been very safe and boring.

Disney would also really really like us to all forget how racist a lot of their output was before Tangled and yet they keep reminding us of it since everyone is nostalgic for the ‘90s animated canon.

In this context I wish they would take more shots at original works (or at least, as original as a Disney feature can be) featuring POC main characters like Moana and Princess and the Frog - neither of which are necessarily perfect movies or even bastions of good representation at a minimum, but at least they’re offering something approximating original content instead of “what if story we already did but we recast the lead as black?” That’s fine, but they can do more and instead are trying to skate on the minimum basically.

The remakes are free money on the table for Disney, just ignore them

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

theflyingorc posted:

I liked Jungle Book. And I thought Dumbo was pretty neat even if it it kept most of it's themes and ideas foam-padded for safety. Aladdin was similar in that regard, it had some neat ideas in it but it kept them on a very tight leash to make sure there were ZERO RISKS TAKEN.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

Considering that Disney is one of the most powerful corporations on the planet and is extremely happy to leverage its power to gently caress with people politically while trying to maintain its shiny happy exterior of family friendliness I don’t really agree with this.

Whether or not the remakes are good on an artistic level also doesn’t necessarily change their political importance or their meaning in the context of Disney’s broader media strategies as a company.

In other words while I think the casting of this lady (who I have never heard of tbh and don’t know anything about nor do I have any opinion of her) is good on its own merits as representation, it’s also not something we should give Disney any credit for since to them it’s effectively stunt casting. It’s similar to the Kaepernick deal with Nike, in that it’s good for Kaep and his message but there’s no reason to give Nike some kind of credit for what is to them pure cynicism.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 4, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sanguinia posted:

I liked Jungle Book. And I thought Dumbo was pretty neat even if it it kept most of it's themes and ideas foam-padded for safety. Aladdin was similar in that regard, it had some neat ideas in it but it kept them on a very tight leash to make sure there were ZERO RISKS TAKEN.

The Lion King is the shocking one to me, because it's... Not even live action.

They didn't even change one of the best vocal performers from the original, i don't understand the point of this movie.

Also Trump sucks

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wasn't the whole point of the original Lion King that ending Apartheid was a bad idea?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

My understanding is that after about 2300 of the 4000 absentee/affidavit votes were tossed, they remainder that were counted broke Katz way by... I think 11% more than her ED voting share was the number I saw. That was enough to close the gap and put her over.

Nah, there were ~3500 absentee and ~500 affidavit ballots counted. There's another ~2200 affidavit ballots on top of that that weren't counted, idk how typical that is - NYS has unusually high bars to participating in party primaries (if you were registered for another party/independent, you would have needed to switch your registration by last October to vote in this primary) but very low bars to issuing affidavit ballots (just asking). Anyone who tried to switch their party registration to Dem since last October would have been issued an affidavit ballot and have it not counted.

That means Katz has about a 28% lead in the newly counted vote, vs 1% deficit in the counted on eday vote. (That could be consistent with the 11% number if Cabán underperformed by 18%).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Considering that Disney is one of the most powerful corporations on the planet and is extremely happy to leverage its power to gently caress with people politically while trying to maintain its shiny happy exterior of family friendliness I don’t really agree with this.

Whether or not the remakes are good on an artistic level also doesn’t necessarily change their political importance or their meaning in the context of Disney’s broader media strategies as a company.

In other words while I think the casting of this lady (who I have never heard of tbh and don’t know anything about nor do I have any opinion of her) is good on its own merits as representation, it’s also not something we should give Disney any credit for since to them it’s effectively stunt casting. It’s similar to the Kaepernick deal with Nike, in that it’s good for Kaep and his message but there’s no reason to give Nike some kind of credit for what is to them pure cynicism.

Disney has been running on "the tiniest bit possible more woke than the center" for an extremely long time, early 90s at least. "Woke-ish, but not enough that most conservatives can call us on it and not sound insane" is their $$$ sweet spot, and they know it. Almost all of their protagonists have been female or PoC for an extremely long while.

This isn't to praise them, it's just marketing.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

theflyingorc posted:

I don't understand the point of this movie.

A display of CG artistry and prowess? The characters are certainly a feat in that regard. That was one of the appeals Detective Pikachu built its success on after all.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

Disney has been running on "the tiniest bit possible more woke than the center" for an extremely long time, early 90s at least. "Woke-ish, but not enough that most conservatives can call us on it and not sound insane" is their $$$ sweet spot, and they know it. Almost all of their protagonists have been female or PoC for an extremely long while.

This isn't to praise them, it's just marketing.

This is accurate, although I’d argue there’s been a noticeable albeit somewhat slow-moving shift in their attempted self-portrayal as more woke post-Tangled. Disney is a dangerous political entity because they are a gigantic media conglomerate and monopoly that effectively gets away with it due to good PR and owning everyone’s childhood and I think viewing that PR extremely critically is worthwhile even though their actions may incidentally have positive effects besides the primary benefit to Disney as a company.

I also suspect that if we end up with a Democratic presidential administration and the cultural zeitgeist turns away from extreme revulsion against Trumpism that Disney might swing back towards more traditionalism and cultural conservatism (probably in the vein of respectability politics rather than overt reactionarism)and that would not be good given their media reach.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lightning Knight posted:

I also suspect that if we end up with a Democratic presidential administration and the cultural zeitgeist turns away from extreme revulsion against Trumpism that Disney might swing back towards more traditionalism and cultural conservatism and that would not be good given their media reach.

I honestly don't find that very likely. You specifically mentioned Tangled as being the start of an even bigger shift toward "wokeness," in their products, and Tangled was in 2010. That means they kept on going through the rise of the Tea Party movement and Obama's last six years as President. Why would going from Trump back to a democrat cause a noticeable change in the public consciousness that would lead Disney to change gears in an attempt to capitalize? Are you imagining some kind of "rubber band," effect whereby the public is going to end up MORE to the right than they have been in a decade once they GET RID of Trump because revulsion of him has... I dunno, used up all their leftism?

When you get down to brass tacts, Disney has been trending more "woke," because they're chasing the money, and the money is in "woke," places, the urban centers that tack left on everything. I don't think there's any danger of all of America's major cities becoming more right wing after Trump is gone, or if the rural and conservative parts of America suddenly out-pacing them in the wealth necessary to buy movie tickets, merch and streaming subscriptions.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146740683119742978

How's that "please ask the President to stop tweeting about this" working out for them?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sanguinia posted:

I honestly don't find that very likely. You specifically mentioned Tangled as being the start of an even bigger shift toward "wokeness," in their products, and Tangled was in 2010. That means they kept on going through the rise of the Tea Party movement and Obama's last six years as President. Why would going from Trump back to a democrat cause a noticeable change in the public consciousness that would lead Disney to change gears in an attempt to capitalize? Are you imagining some kind of "rubber band," effect whereby the public is going to end up MORE to the right than they have been in a decade once they GET RID of Trump because revulsion of him has... I dunno, used up all their leftism?

When you get down to brass tacts, Disney has been trending more "woke," because they're chasing the money, and the money is in "woke," places, the urban centers that tack left on everything. I don't think there's any danger of all of America's major cities becoming more right wing after Trump is gone, or if the rural and conservative parts of America suddenly out-pacing them in the wealth necessary to buy movie tickets, merch and streaming subscriptions.

I clarified in an edit but I would imagine such a thing as more about pushing respectability politics and a return to normalcy rather than reactionary stuff or pandering to the far right.

Again this isn’t a commentary on Disney’s output in terms of quality (I actually think their output since 2009 has generally been pretty good overall), but rather the overall kind of messages I think they’d want to push.

I also think what the public thinks or wants doesn’t have much to do with the kind of messages that Disney might want to push, and that having more diverse casts combined with more conservative, respectability oriented messages is probably quite in line with attempts to appeal to non-US markets, which is where the actual money is going forward, or at least where I think Disney is aiming towards.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Holy poo poo, Justin Amash just switched to independent

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theflyingorc posted:

Holy poo poo, Justin Amash just switched to independent

I'm not really surprised, he was definitely gonna get primaried.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lycus posted:

I'm not really surprised, he was definitely gonna get primaried.

He's still garbage, but leaving the Republican party is definitely better than staying in it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://apple.news/AY6KpdX3jQfuJAnvsNi5pyw

quote:

When my dad was 16, America welcomed him as a Palestinian refugee. It wasn’t easy moving to a new country, but it was the greatest blessing of his life.

Throughout my childhood, my dad would remind my brothers and me of the challenges he faced before coming here and how fortunate we were to be Americans. In this country, he told us, everyone has an opportunity to succeed regardless of background.

Growing up, I thought a lot about the brilliance of America. Our country’s founders established a constitutional republic uniquely dedicated to securing the rights of the people. In fact, they designed a political system so ordered around liberty that, in succeeding generations, the Constitution itself would strike back against the biases and blind spots of its authors.

My parents, both immigrants, were Republicans. I supported Republican candidates throughout my early adult life and then successfully ran for office as a Republican. The Republican Party, I believed, stood for limited government, economic freedom and individual liberty — principles that had made the American Dream possible for my family.

In recent years, though, I’ve become disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it. The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions.

lol never trumpers

Partisanship! Both sides! Complete lack of introspection or understanding of why Trump exists! System! Still! Good!

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146747326763098112

Can't wait to see Aircraft One

Edit: screenshot for if/when it gets taken down

double edit: this fucker is definitely going to ask them to have his loving 747 skim the crowd

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 4, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

bilperkins2 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1146740683119742978

How's that "please ask the President to stop tweeting about this" working out for them?

"I'm making my employees work through a holiday gov. employees are typically off on because of my temper tantrum"

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

Wasn't the whole point of the original Lion King that ending Apartheid was a bad idea?

I though it was that you should stop nazi's. Kind of on the nose but a good lesson to kids.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bilperkins2 posted:

double edit: this fucker is definitely going to ask them to have his loving 747 skim the crowd

He's going to deface the fourth of a july with a campaign speech bitching about immigrants and the democrats.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lightning Knight posted:

I clarified in an edit but I would imagine such a thing as more about pushing respectability politics and a return to normalcy rather than reactionary stuff or pandering to the far right.

Again this isn’t a commentary on Disney’s output in terms of quality (I actually think their output since 2009 has generally been pretty good overall), but rather the overall kind of messages I think they’d want to push.

I also think what the public thinks or wants doesn’t have much to do with the kind of messages that Disney might want to push, and that having more diverse casts combined with more conservative, respectability oriented messages is probably quite in line with attempts to appeal to non-US markets, which is where the actual money is going forward, or at least where I think Disney is aiming towards.

It's possible. Frankly I think Disney's agenda vis a vis messages is much more laser-focused on their own personal benefit than social engineering. If I could condense a single meta-theme from all of Disney's output in recent years, from Star Wars to Marvel to mainline Disney, its the exploration of power structures, how they become corrupted by bad people, and how good people can fix them. Obviously this touches on politics a lot, and some of that may lead to the kind of "return to normalcy/respectability," thing you're talking about, but for my money I think it touches much more strongly and frequently on Capitalism itself.

Disney has been getting "meta," about itself for years in its movies. Deconstructing its own princess formula in Frozen, exploring different visions of art and storytelling within their own history in Saving Mr. Banks, addressing critiques of their classics in the remakes, hell just look at the whole Theme Park element of Dumbo. But those self-criticisms are almost always toothless. They're meant to be a wink at the audience, and the audience is meant to compute them as "Disney recognizes that it is sometimes bad and is trying to improve itself. We can trust Disney." Tie that back to the meta-theme, the notion that corrupt power structures can be fixed by good people. Disney wants us to see them as good people who can be trusted in command of power structures. The world of business is full of corrupt, greedy, evil people, but don't worry, Disney isn't like those other companies.

This engineered trust can certainly be used in the way you describe. But frankly I don't think Disney would ever risk it's audience's good will and trust on anything except its own image. Why spend our carefully cultivated influence trying to socially engineer people's views of society, we need that to socially engineer their views of the Disney Corporation!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

bilperkins2 posted:

It's like a window into his syphilis-addled brain. He's heard somewhere that it's only called Air Force One when he's on it. He's an egomaniac, so that little tidbit stuck. He then connects the fewest neurons possible for the easiest name it could be when he's not on it, and then just blurts it out as though it's fact.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I though it was that you should stop nazi's. Kind of on the nose but a good lesson to kids.

With the hyenas born to be inferior and trying to bring them into polite society lead to the desolation of the entire land until they were chased out again.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Did the dems get tickets in the end, and do any plan on attending?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Katt posted:

With the hyenas born to be inferior and trying to bring them into polite society lead to the desolation of the entire land until they were chased out again.

In this analogy, are hyenas the black people and literally ever animal living together peacefully are the white people?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1146527531442614275

I love this because I'll bet if Trump hadn't tweeted about the fireworks being donated by "two of the greats", no one would have looked into who donated the fireworks. Trump is a spotlight for corruption

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Blind Duke posted:

I really hope it wasn’t blaring music while parked, because it sure was when driving around. Gave me similar vibes to the anti abortion van covered in gross images that tries to stay parked outside the White House.

Oh yeah it was, they were playing hail to the chief when I walked by. I'm pretty sure this is the Trump Bridge guy, just mildly rebranded.

There used to be several abortion vans around, the best was the box truck

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Katt posted:

The hyenas are ultimately the ones who kill Scar because in a desperate attempt to save himself he tries to scapegoat them as being the true masterminds and himself merely their puppet. The land isn't led to desolation because the hyenas join polite society, the land is led to desolation because Scar is not the rightful ruler (which creates a mystical Fisher King blight upon the land) and also because he's a BAD king. One of the first scenes we see when we go back to the Pridelands is him brooding around his cave splayed out on the floor and ignoring Nala's attempt to talk to him about the horrific famine and get him to take some kind of action. Even if we infer that the land was desolated because of the hyenas, in the end the fault lies with Scar because he didn't LEAD them, he ALLOWED them overhunt the land into a wasteland, which is something he could have done with literally any animal. He took no effort to maintain the balance of nature that Mufasa spoke of to Simba as being the most important part of his duty as ruler, because he was interested in the luxury and prestige of power, not the responsibility of rule.

And I mean... the hyenas didn't make the freaking grass stop growing. The hyenas are a maligned and demonized Other for Mufasa and the rest of the Pridelands, and Scar exploited that in the same way any fascist exploits the downtrodden (which is why they're goose-stepping after his speech), but they didn't ruin the land. That's on Scar.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The main reason as I understand it for the Disney live actions is so they can continue to hold onto the copyrights. In that regard they don't especially care if they're profitable, just if they demonstrate they're still "developing" the IP

I mean they also print easy money but they're also keeping the old money.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Katt posted:

The hyenas are just a practical necessity of adapting Hamlett for a children audience. Kimba murdering Scar would be really awkward if he didn't lay waste to the land, and he sure wasn't going to do that by himself.

Sure, the stark divide between in and out groups ends up in the movie, and that's problematic, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's what the movie is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

DarkHorse posted:

The main reason as I understand it for the Disney live actions is so they can continue to hold onto the copyrights. In that regard they don't especially care if they're profitable, just if they demonstrate they're still "developing" the IP

I mean they also print easy money but they're also keeping the old money.

I don't know about this, I'm pretty sure they should be able to keep the rights for 99+ years, otherwise they would be doing the older ones more. I think it's truly a case of 90's nostalgia being "in" and them cashing in on it.

edit: from the US Copyright office:

quote:

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics