Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Why did they put on a dragon that looks like something from a 00s graphics card box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Because everything goes in 20 year cycles and it's about time for us to hit peak Bad CGI Elf Titties once again.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They could not possibly be more obviously trying to look like a Samsung.

Ehh, there aren't that many ways to label a 1x2" pcb. But I also agree with you, they definitely aren't differentiating it from samsung.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is AMD going to dust Ruby off for their graphics card boxes to compete with that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

incoherent posted:

The edging of AMD fans continues

Make a Ruby waifu game and you'll be a millionaire overnight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

How? PCB isn't even black.

Black label, white text, splash of red/orange. Might even be the same font.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I’m pro elf tiddy but only if it’s aimed at cornering the lesbian market.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

ItBreathes posted:

Make a Ruby waifu game and you'll be a millionaire overnight.

You'd also be God-Emperor of r/AMD. A very vocal contingent there unironically clamors for "AMD waifus" anytime the subject comes up. And it comes up rather more than I wish it did.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
IT HAS BEGUN

Some(?) Microcenters are selling 2700x for $200.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Seamonster posted:

IT HAS BEGUN

Some(?) Microcenters are selling 2700x for $200.

The 1700 has gone as low as $130, so hopefully we'll see 2700/X's drop even more than that soon.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
2600s are down to about the 230 mark here in Aus. Depending on how much the 3600 is and availability, I might just pick up one of those instead.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The 1700 has gone as low as $130, so hopefully we'll see 2700/X's drop even more than that soon.
1700x has been $129.99 with an additional $30 off motherboard, so effectively $100, for 4+ months at microcenter.

Zen+ will likely run out of stock at some point unless AMD plans on still making them due to their glofo agreement or something. Zen1 will have stock longer because they're a side effect of first gen epyc.

edit: This speculation is likely wrong. Oops. But there shouldn't be any supply issues.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 3, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Khorne posted:

1700x has been $129.99 with an additional $30 off motherboard, so effectively $100, for 4+ months at microcenter.

Zen+ will likely run out of stock at some point unless AMD plans on still making them due to their glofo agreement or something. Zen1 will have stock longer because they're a side effect of first gen epyc.

The 1700X is the only Zen1 my microcenter carries at all (maybe some threadripper)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Khorne posted:

Epyc supposedly uses a different stepping from consumer Ryzen, but AMD is locked into long term contracts for whatever they call their equivalent of SIPP on the Ryzen Pro series so it will undoubtedly hang around for a while.

It probably also is easy money to sell older chips to places like South America or Africa that aren't going to drop $750 USD on a brand new CPU. I remember hearing that Xbox 360 and PS2 production had a very long tail (like 2016 or something) due to South American sales.

I mean let's be honest here, AMD hasn't even stopped making 28nm Excavator-based APUs, Zen/Zen+ have a while left.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 3, 2019

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Kazinsal posted:

Because everything goes in 20 year cycles and it's about time for us to hit peak Bad CGI Elf Titties once again.

If it means no more LEDs I am fine with this.

Though it probably means Bad CGI Elf LED Titties, like the headlight scene in dumb and dumber.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alpha Mayo posted:

If it means no more LEDs I am fine with this.

Though it probably means Bad CGI Elf LED Titties, like the headlight scene in dumb and dumber.

Can't wait for my video card heatsink to have an OLED screen showing fantasy erotica. Now that I've said it, someone's going to start a custom PC business with the idea.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Do you think the 14/12nm node has any juice left in it? Can AMD get to a theoretical D/E/F, etc stepping for Zen1 with better v/f curve? I mean that is definitely more than the minimum support required going forward, until now and the heat death of the universe, but I could see some advantages for continual node process improvement for products that do not need to be cutting edge to sell.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Rexxed posted:

Can't wait for my video card heatsink to have an OLED screen showing fantasy erotica. Now that I've said it, someone's going to start a custom PC business with the idea.

I think I glanced across some mobo summary that said the user can upload custom gifs to the screen built into the motherboard, so

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Do you think the 14/12nm node has any juice left in it? Can AMD get to a theoretical D/E/F, etc stepping for Zen1 with better v/f curve? I mean that is definitely more than the minimum support required going forward, until now and the heat death of the universe, but I could see some advantages for continual node process improvement for products that do not need to be cutting edge to sell.

Not really, since respins on the process still cost :fatStacks: to update all the masks. Better to double down on 3rd gen Ryzen than spend more money on a clearly inferior part.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Let it die so that MCU/embedded chip makers can have it

The process is still being used for plenty of AMD things--IO die and chipsets

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
why do you have so many chipsets?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wish AMD would bring back project quantum with zen 2 / Navi.

They teased a resurrection with Zen/Vega, even. Now I have a new dream.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Any indications of Zen 2 getting Thunderbolt 3 (or 'USB 4') in the near future? Is that even architecturally possible?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ultrabay2000 posted:

Any indications of Zen 2 getting Thunderbolt 3 (or 'USB 4') in the near future? Is that even architecturally possible?
Some X570 motherboards have it. ASRock's seems to run over USB-C.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ultrabay2000 posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14550/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-itx-tb3-

I think Asrock has shown off multiple x570 boards with TB3, but they're all likely to be pricey.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ultrabay2000 posted:

Sure. As we move forward, everything is just becoming PCIe lanes over various different kinds of interfaces and connectors, instead of being broken out into a bus of some sort first before translating to PCIe. Obviously for best performance, those USB4-related PCIe lanes should come directly off the CPU.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Lambert posted:

Pretty sure that's a South America thing, where import duties tend to be pretty high. Wouldn't be all that interesting to Europeans.
Oh you sweet summer child. For future reference;

US, Microcenter (web);
2600X (w/ cooler) + B450M - $189 + $75 for 2x8GB RAM = $264 total (add another $40 for fullsize ATX)

Europe (web);
2600X OEM (ie no cooler) + B450 + 2x8GB RAM = $483

And then you have the additional cost of a cooler on top of that, to make things totally equal. Considering flights to New York run about $300 nowadays you're one more computer part away from breaking even, especially if it's a graphics card.

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 4, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Marinmo posted:

US, Microcenter (web);
2600X (w/ cooler) + B450M - $189 + $75 for 2x8GB RAM = $264 total (add another $40 for fullsize ATX)

Europe (web);

And then you have the additional cost of a cooler on top of that, to make things totally equal. Considering flights to New York run about $300 nowadays you're one more computer part away from breaking even, especially if it's a graphics card.

Are those including sales tax/VAT respectively? Also don't forget to include travel insurance - don't enter the US without it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Marinmo posted:

US, Microcenter (web);

Europe (web);

Where have you been looking, Norway? You can put those items into an Amazon Germany cart for 165+75(cheapish B450) and ~70€ for 2x8GB Ram unless you gotta have THE STILT. 350USD including tax.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 4, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Progressive JPEG posted:

Are those including sales tax/VAT respectively? Also don't forget to include travel insurance - don't enter the US without it.

2600X alone is currently on offer for 180€, VAT included (down from 260€), on my local Amazon. That's already 200$ (down from 300$)

not sure how much is sales tax in USA but I think it can be between 0% and 15% ? Still less than VAT which is from 19% to 25% in most European countries.

even if the quoted amounts are without taxes, you Americans still come out way ahead - except in service

the one big reason to not purchase stuff in US to take it back here is the fact that... well, good luck getting manufacturers to honor their warranty in EU for something sold in US ... :) one of the nice things of EU is customer protection meaning that literally everything you buy has 2 years of warranty, mandated by law so no weaseling out of it for manufacturers (excluding very special cases) and that's probably the main reason why prices are higher

Edit: though some companies like EVGA are present on both markets, and offer 3 years warranty as default on both markets, so that could maybe work? I wouldn't risk it to save 50€ anyway, honestly

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
TBH Amazon is poo poo for a lot of stuff in Europe, I'd rather look at the biggest pc parts shops of the country, here I can find 2600X with a cooler for 160Euros + your warranty return is going to be super simple as they have a physical outlet in all the biggest cities.

Same retailer sold off their last 1700s for 140Eurors a pop which is an extremely good price.

TheCoach fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 4, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Microcenter is an outlier anyways, they use CPUs as a loss leader (more-or-less, not sure if they're actually taking a loss) to get you into the store, where they make all their margin on cables/accessories and extended warranties. Their other components are slightly more expensive than online, and I dont think they ship nationally.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TheCoach posted:

TBH Amazon is poo poo for a lot of stuff in Europe

Not here :italy: Amazon prices are usually within 10-15€ of the best PC parts shop prices as far as I know, barring temporary offers or whatever

e.g. the biggest and cheapest online shop here, so much that many suspect it uses shady tactics to avoid paying taxes, has Ryzen 2600X for 173€ VAT included so 7€ less than Amazon right now.

My humble opinion? PC parts shops used to have a great time before the internet and had extortionate prices, which they like to maintain now and still thrive because either they sell specialty things that are hard to find on Amazon, or they just undercut Amazon by the smallest margin possible.

I almost exclusively shop on Amazon for PC parts these days unless I'm looking for a specific thing that just is not on Amazon, or has an inflated price there (it happens).. especially because their "RMA" experience is just awesome, I had a problem with a RAM stick and they just sent a new one to me straight away, I received it next day when I hadn't even packed the defective one for return yet :stare:

Good luck getting that kind of service from a cheap online shop :) completely worth the extra 5-10€ IMO

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You'd also have to pay import duties on hardware purchased in the US, unless you plan on smuggling it in (you can't get a refund for US sales taxes because the US does not refund to foreigners).

Marinmo posted:

US, Microcenter (web);

Europe (web);

Those examples don't reflect actual prices in most of Europe.

2600x (165€) + B450 (56€) + RAM (54€) = $310 (did the conversions for convenience). And you get two years of warranty with all of that.

TorakFade posted:

Still less than VAT which is from 19% to 25% in most European countries.

VAT is 7.6% in Switzerland, which is why hardware tends to be cheaper there. So you're better off vacationing in Switerland than the US for hardware purposes. And you can even get a VAT refund when leaving the country (with cheap hardware, you usually won't have to pay your country's own taxes)!

TorakFade posted:

I almost exclusively shop on Amazon for PC parts these days unless I'm looking for a specific thing that just is not on Amazon, or has an inflated price there (it happens).. especially because their "RMA" experience is just awesome, I had a problem with a RAM stick and they just sent a new one to me straight away, I received it next day when I hadn't even packed the defective one for return yet :stare:

For PC parts, you can deal with the manufacturer directly no problem in pretty much all cases.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 4, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Lambert posted:

You'd also have to pay import duties on hardware purchased in the US, unless you plan on smuggling it in.

Those are highly inflated prices.

2600x (165€) + B450 (56€) + RAM (54€) = $310 (did the conversions for convenience). And you get two years of warranty with all of that.

VAT is 7.6% in Switzerland, which is why hardware tends to be cheaper there. So you're better off vacationing in Switerland than the US for hardware purposes.

Switzerland isn't in the EU :) so the situation there is a bit more complicated between customs, exemptions, potential smuggling charges and so on, but yeah as I was saying it's not that great to go buying stuff abroad, any money you save is probably not worth the hassle in case you have a problem with the hardware

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Marinmo posted:

Considering flights to New York run about $300 nowadays you're one more computer part away from breaking even, especially if it's a graphics card.

I wish. Also, don't forget the cost of getting to/from the airport, accomodation in NYC for at least one night, etc.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TorakFade posted:

Switzerland isn't in the EU :) so the situation there is a bit more complicated between customs, exemptions, potential smuggling charges and so on, but yeah as I was saying it's not that great to go buying stuff abroad, any money you save is probably not worth the hassle in case you have a problem with the hardware

This is something many Swiss living near the border take advantage of: They purchase stuff in Austria or Germany, fill out the VAT refund form and get a tax refund. As long as it's a purchase of less than 300 CHF per person, they have to pay no sales tax on their purchase (depends on the store whether you get all of it or they take a percentage - with Amazon, for example - works with online stores as well - you get to keep the full refund; you'll just have to order to a post office at the border and take it over yourself). If it's above that limit, they'll just pay the Swiss rate.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 4, 2019

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

feedmegin posted:

I wish. Also, don't forget the cost of getting to/from the airport, accomodation in NYC for at least one night, etc.
You're in luck. $293 roundtrip from AMS to JFK between the 9th and 16th of october (I chose dates randomly) with Brussles airlines, 12 hours each way. I'm sure you could find more examples if you looked. Flying has never been cheaper than today. Especially true for the larger airports; you can easily find very cheap flights. If you're so inclined, I'm sure you could order to the hotel directly and only spend 1 night in NY.

For the other people ranting about my example, the example is taken from northern Europe. I'm sure one can find it cheaper elsewhere. But where I am, that means I'd have to be willing to deal with online merchants with the host of issues that comes with that (returns, while honored, can take literal eons and they will try to weasel their way out if they find the pettiest of reasons to do so); those prices are generally true for this corner of the world though, take it for what you will. Note that I'm not saying that problems would be any easier to solve with US hardware, but it could definitely be done for cheaper.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TorakFade posted:

not sure how much is sales tax in USA but I think it can be between 0% and 15% ? Still less than VAT which is from 19% to 25% in most European countries.

Sales tax is usually hidden until you get to checkout, so be sure to add it mentally whenever looking at US prices.

Marinmo posted:

You're in luck. $293 roundtrip from AMS to JFK between the 9th and 16th of october (I chose dates randomly) with Brussles airlines, 12 hours each way. I'm sure you could find more examples if you looked. Flying has never been cheaper than today. Especially true for the larger airports; you can easily find very cheap flights. If you're so inclined, I'm sure you could order to the hotel directly and only spend 1 night in NY.

Haha yeah how much could a night in New York city cost.

Also if you're just staying a night that means you're limited to buying something at a physical store, not online, unless you've got a friend there who's willing to deal with holding packages for you. So if microcenter is out of stock that day then too bad.

And again you'd better add travel insurance unless you like being liable for a $50,000 hospital bill if you got sick or were injured during the trip.

And let's not get into getting to explain to the customs officer why you have a next day return flight for a personal trip, after waiting for hours in line at JFK, assuming they didn't kick you out when going through the American Containment Zone at the source airport. But hey, you're saving $50 for the trouble! Assuming the thing you want is actually in stock.

Lambert posted:

You'd also have to pay import duties on hardware purchased in the US, unless you plan on smuggling it in (you can't get a refund for US sales taxes because the US does not refund to foreigners).

There's typically some sort of customs exemption for your own personal goods being brought into the country that are under some defined value. For example in NZ the exemption for things brought with you is NZ$700, while for things shipped into the country it's NZ$400. But in practice that route only makes sense if there's nobody selling the thing locally at all, as locally purchased goods have broad protection under the Consumer Guarantees Act.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are a million 3700X results on Geekbench now and the rough memory latency and copy speeds seem to be a real thing and not an aberration on that early review. It doesn't seem to actually be impacting performance much, single core performance is trading blows with Coffee Lake clock for clock and actually ahead a little bit in floating point which might bode will for games.

Here's one of the better/newest 3700X results vs my 8700. Both with 3200mhz ram, both at 4.3ghz through the tests, both run today.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/13767652?baseline=13771610