Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of course worlds, someone on reddit made a 32 level one as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c8or4g/super_mario_maker_world_remix_a_full_32course/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fortis posted:

I... I didn't know Magikoopas could do this.
https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1146642114589016065

I think the flag will go back to normal if you kill the Magikoopa

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Nope, lol.

They very specifically put him there to troll you and teach you that.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, this happens in one of the story mode levels and I was able to undo it by killing the magikoopa.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Haha yeah when I realized he SPAWNED there I killed him and got the flag back. That sure was a moment of emotions for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fortis posted:

Sadly they cannot do this in 3D world.

eonwe posted:

speaking of course worlds, someone on reddit made a 32 level one as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c8or4g/super_mario_maker_world_remix_a_full_32course/

Man I thought I played this too much. How much would you have to have played to make 32 levels already???

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144514048651743232

matt thorson (aka, guy that made Celeste, Towerfall, Runman, a bunch of cool indie platformers basically) has been making mario maker 2 levels

i have not played them yet, but the guy's platforming resume is good

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Fortis posted:

Yeah... I had a Magikoopa in my Tiny Trouble course on Wii U and got a lot of hate for it. I left it out this time.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It only now occurred to me that the max course uploads are specifically 32 so someone can upload their 1-1 through 8-4.

Dangerous Minority posted:

Rote Wurst
P7R-1MJ-27G
Decently challenging platforming, and the first section feels good to blitz through. The section right after the checkpoint is a little rough, though. There's a lot of blocks to reveal, which is fine, but they're just out of reach for small Mario's standing jump. If you get hit, or if you're continuing from the checkpoint and don't grab the mushroom, you need to either make running jumps in an enemy crowded area or bounce off the goombrats, and you can accidentally cut off your bouncing option if you hit the blocks under the pipe.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, this started out as a basic level for me to practice using slopes, and I kinda went a little overboard as I got more ideas, and that one section is disproportionately difficult. When I get around to editing it, I'll lower the invisible blocks by one square.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 4, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144514048651743232

matt thorson (aka, guy that made Celeste, Towerfall, Runman, a bunch of cool indie platformers basically) has been making mario maker 2 levels

i have not played them yet, but the guy's platforming resume is good

they're tough but fair and fun

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey guys I made the first ten minutes of Metroid: Zero Mission:

Zero Mission Brinster
J2D-L00-0KF

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I made a new one to play around with Thwomps, I think it turned out OK.

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1146648462823284737

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
A Salty42 Tribute 74R-G6C-LQF
Level was actually decent after the big-bob-omb part. Still just a troll level though.
Trapship Tussle WQR-SSW-SWG
I don't know what people's fascination is with making good levels then ruining them at the end, but whatever.
Golden Ghosts 7NT-TFR-GDF
Deleted 15 minutes before I got to it
Moleclaw Mountain 3NS-SPR-L7G
Needs a bit of work, for example, the first claw in front of the semisolid block is a problem area.
Subterrain Seesaws & Skyscrapers 9PM-G1S-B4G
I enjoyed it though.
Goomba Garden M8S-78N-RGF
Getting into the trampoline tower area was award as big mario.
Super Mario Soldier Stage 1 3NQ-HPK-NTG
Vertical section was a little too long.
Super Mario Soldier Stage 2 5YD-4PW-SXG
Not knowing when the autoscoll will speed up and slow down ruins this. Also the on off switches killing the clown car is dumb.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend recreated the Zapruder film in Super Mario Maker 2. Please enjoy.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1146651589890863105?s=19

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I post enough codes in here hoping for goons to play them it's only fair I sat down and ran through a handful myself using Random Acts of Mario.

The Dreaming in the Fever House - Coolie Ghost
Kinda confusing in a lot of places but I thought it was great for the most part. Only disliked the second ghost chase leading to a death pit as I didn't think it was signposted very well. Felt "cheap". That and the cling to a vine to make another vine grow. I'm not actually sure how you managed this but got stuck there thinking I broke the room.
Real minor complaints overall, good dark level. Toadette looks weird in it.

Angry Wiggler Castle -MUSCULAR BEAVER
Code led to a different level. Passed

Classic Kit - Random Stranger
Simple level, not a whole lot to say but I always appreciate these kinds of stages (it's why I make them after all.) It didn't feel too difficult by any means and stopping to bop enemies was satisfying enough! It was a good level!

Pesky Pipes - Orange Crush Rush
Another good classic level, I enjoyed it for the most part but some of the falls and jumps wound up being kinda jank. The very first red pipe to go into the sky for example was rough. Also was that invisible block midway into the stage just a cheap shot to try and kill the player? I survived because I play cautious but I had no idea what the point of it was as it was just a coin and it was the only one in the stage. The heck.
Still pretty fun on a playthrough.

Huff 'N Puffer - Phantasium
Not a bad idea but the twisters are right assholes and getting a instant kill from them trapping me between spikes sucked.
Enemy placements that aside were alright and man I've always had a phobia of the fish enemies that ate you in Mario so that was fun to contest with :v:. Got the first clear though so hey I can be happy with that

Space Mission: Goomba - American McGay
Really fun level, though some progression paths look like you're fenced in which led to a bit of confusion. I didn't have the key for example and got stuck bouncing around the room hoping for a hidden block before jumping out the top and breathing a sigh of relief.
Other than that this is really good! The level looks fantastic and it appears like a lot of time went into it. I enjoy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

My friend recreated the Zapruder film in Super Mario Maker 2. Please enjoy.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1146651589890863105?s=19

lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RIP kennedy koopa

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Kirios posted:

Hey guys I made the first ten minutes of Metroid: Zero Mission:

Zero Mission Brinster
J2D-L00-0KF

I like this idea a lot! I actually had a similar idea, but it wasn't enjoying making it, so I gave up. I used Thwomps instead of icicles for my diving enemies, but your use of tracks for the horizontal flying ones was great, and I loved your save room and your power-up pedestal! I gave a fire flower as the first power-up (where the ball would go), to replicate Samus's gun. I'm also impressed how much of the game you managed to put in. Organizing things into the space allotted seems tricky. Anyway, here's a screenshot of my unfinished project:

Still, I wonder how well this type of game could be translated. In your level, I was a little stressed once I got Yoshi or the mushroom, because losing those abilities would mean having to backtrack a bit. In Metroid, getting hit doesn't make you lose abilities (thankfully!).

Also, I wonder how well Mother Brain's corridor could be replicated. That might be fun!

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

More goon courses:

Bowserail
TPK-7PJ-LVG
First part definitely dragged on a bit. It takes about a half minute before the switch gets to you, and I don't think that Bowser is challenging enough on his own to save it. Also, not really related, but my dumb rear end somehow got sandwiched between the p-switch and the wall and died. The second and third areas were really good though, with a lot more going on. It kept me on my toes without feeling unfair, and nailing the crane jump at the end felt great!

The Wrecking Ruins
HQQ-0PY-C6G
Fairly straightforward, and with a good atmosphere. The biggest problem I saw was that not turning the switch back on before leaving the first area will softlock you in the third. After you hit the switch the first time, there's enough space to get under the off blocks, which also happen to be at the bottom of the ramp, where people are going to want to slide. I'd recommend either sealing the exit from the first area unless the switch is flipped again or having an alternate way through the second set of big bombs. The moles by the tornado can also be hard to maneuver around if they get in it before you do. Still definitely enjoyed it, though.

Simple Classic Style
7SC-RSH-4YG
Not really a fan. The design seemed really erratic, and didn't flow very well. That first question block with a mushroom in it requires either a tricky jump or bouncing off one of the goombas, and the penalty for missing is death. I'd really recommend adding a coin trail from the left platforms to guide players, because I ate poo poo there quite a few times. The platform over the piranha plant is too far in the other direction, though. The two blocks over the top are fine for an easier main path, but there's nothing drawing people down by the plant, and so it feels unnecessary. Adding another trio of pipes would help it mesh a little better. The two chomps afterwards aren't really doing much either, and they also stick out as they're the only two in the level. That massive piranha plant pit jump is another incredibly precise jump to make; without the mushroom from the first tricky jump, which you have a decent chance of losing by now, you're dead, and it's back to the beginning. Super precise jumps like that are certainly viable, but I'd recommend changing it up. Maybe give the player another mushroom beforehand, give them some more room to build up speed before jumping, place a checkpoint before the jump, something to make missing it a little easier on them. The line of plants looks really out of place, too. Cutting a few of the middle plants out and replacing it with a pit accomplishes the same thing, but it looks less artificial. Enemy placement in general is wonky in the back half, too. There's some solid platforming in there, but it's hidden under those annoying bits.

SMW:A Short Easy Night
7J3-1DX-YDF
Another one I wasn't a big fan of. The first bridge is pretty crowded with enemies, and the wind makes precision jumping a lot harder. The chain chomp in the second area feels out of place, and if you didn't hit the shell down the ramp you can end up jumping right into the chomp. The main pyramid was definitely the roughest section. There's a grip of enemies, and making your way up the side safely is an ordeal without the star. Jumping around them is hard since they're tall and can graze you with their head, and the wind makes chain bouncing incredibly difficult. The star is such a huge benefit for climbing, but it's not telegraphed very well, and the other one I found on the pyramid was sheer luck more than anything else. There's also just not much to the level besides the bridge and pyramid, and the enemy congestion makes them more annoying and tedious than anything. I think that either cutting the number of enemies or giving the player the tools to fight so many of them would go a long way here.

Bullet Festival
HV0-64L-2NF
Really dig the concept, but I think it needs a checkpoint just before the first warp block. I also think that swapping the first set of bees with some bullet bills would fit the theme better and would prevent softlocking if the player didn't bounce up there properly. Still, I thought the secrets were done well and the general feel of the level was good.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Something I just tested that I might possibly be useful for someone making a level. On the night castle theme, Mario swims as if he were in water, but enemies move normally. However, if Mario is in a Koopa Clown Car, he moves as fast as he normally does. The reverse happens in the night airship theme too.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

I'm going to add a column to the main spreadsheet for Blitz levels. I assume this won't harm your site's output, but keep an eye out.

It broke the day/night icon since the column wasn't where the site expected it to be. :v:
But it's fixed!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
More goon levels!

Midnight Fridge Run: I feel like there could of been more to this level, but it was interesting nontheless. Carrying a pow block to light up the dark feels like something you could build a very interesting stage around.

Ice Maker: I quit this level early because its absolutely not my kind of thing in terms of gameplay, but I liked it anyways because I thought the aesthetic was very good. That's something that usually gets ignored in precision jumping levels.

Dismal Dawn: Gave this a few shots. Couldn't tolerate it. I actually don't think the level design is bad at a glance but an aggressively paced autoscroller is difficult to pull off. The real problem to me is that you precede it with 20 seconds of platforming through an intro which is fine itself but very tedious on repeats. Really needs a checkpoint there.

Boos and Bones: I hate ghost houses. I didn't hate this level, because you actually put thought into designing it without being a huge dick. I actually enjoyed it! Only thing I'd say is you might wanna watch it with the dry bones spam; they're a very painful enemy in Mario World due to their obnoxious bone toss. Also I almost ran out of time and I didn't even really look for secrets, so if you want people to go for those you should be lenient with the timer.

Drop It Like It's Hot: I hate puzzle levels. Still enjoyed this because it was simple enough for my smooth brain to comprehend. Also appreciated there being some light platforming challenge involved in getting to the next part of each component.

Climb The Sky: Mostly enjoyed this one. It definitely needs some coins to serve as jump guides though. Also, designing it around another checkpoint would of been nice. Only one part was super difficult, but it was pretty long and not forgiving towards mistakes. That one long tunnel of pirahna pipes though felt totally impassable. I just damage boosted through it every time.

Overall, some pretty good levels!

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 4, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Toy Bob-omb Assembly Line
DQF-54S-LXG

A level featuring copious conveyors, bob-ombs, piranha plants, and (I think) some fairly difficult enemy movement timing!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

I left a comment saying "this part is mean" or something like that at the first section I saw. If that's the part I was thinking of maybe I missed the shortcut vines and ended up going the wrong way. There was also a part when the thwomp is smashing through the level where I spotted a door and jumped off to go through it which took me back a ways. Maybe that door was part of an earlier bit of the level and I just didn't remember but I saw it and went for it.

Okay, yeah, it's totally that room. The note blocks have vines that reach the floor in case you fall. The coins beneath them are supposed to mean "hit this!", but it's a pretty vague way to convey it. They used to be ? blocks, which are a little more intuitive, but with a spiney helmet hidden in the level, I didn't want them to be accidentally broken. Still, I could've done more to keep them from being missed.

The Thwomp drop was a part I was really worried about. There's no good way to tell the player "just stay on the Thwomp", and only so much you can do with coins and arrows. I was hoping the repetition of the concept (crush Bob-Omb with Thwomp) would help enough, but it is a very tricky thing to convey, and meanwhile the player is taking in a lot fast and trying to figure out how not to die.
Anyway, thanks again!

And now it's time for another level:

Crossing Skullstone Canyon:
DVC-55J-84G

It's kind of a basic level. You need to get across the canyon, but the bridge is gone. SMW desert themed.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Tnega posted:

The Vault: KP5-JMH-4PG
Got the cape and mushroom, ended as small Mario. Perfect.
Swamp Romp: HJM-X7F-HNF
Another fine level, just be aware you cannot jump on the poison fishies.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. And I think I know which section you are talking about with the poison fish. My intent was that the player can dodge that one by going to the edges of the moving platform. It uh, admittedly only came to me when I tested potential fish placements and managed to dodge it barely by reflex. Maybe I should add an extra power-up before or after since I realise that many players won't necessarily have the same reaction and get hit.

Also, it seems like the statistics for however many people played a level either takes a while to update or something. I was busy with other games so all I did was check my maker profile but either it didn't update those yet, or I need to close the game/do other stuff for it to do so.

One thing I am planning to maybe use for my next level I learned: platforms on a track move as quick as poison/lava/water at the highest setting. Are there any blocks that float on liquids outside of the ones in 3D World? I kinda wanna do a vertical level where you gotta escape the tide but I am still looking for ideas on how to do it without it being just "keep jumping upwards" all the time.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Fortis posted:

The flag most definitely comes back after some time. Not sure if you need to kill Magikoopa, but I had the same happen to me, and while I was bewildered, it appeared again, maybe after 30 seconds max

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Angry Wiggler Castle -MUSCULAR BEAVER
Code led to a different level. Passed

Sorry, looks like I swapped the codes around when using the form: W8S-X05-XPF is meant to be the wriggler castle, but you likely searched P98-YH3-SBG which is my donut world one

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Triumvirate's Challenge 1RXPRBFQF
I appreciate the powerups and 4th room, potential softlock (did not explore it, because fark risking having to the bowsers again) at the end if people jump over the axe. Also, righting from the far left side is the easiest way to do it (stops half the bob-ombs from spawning) I also found the red bullet bills the hardest room to fight in.
Repeating Riches 9PHGVN6JF K5P-J5T-RHG
Looks like I'm the first play of the new upload. Took 4 cycles to beat it blind. Eventually got it down to 2 cycle. the spring area should have been more rewarding.
Nighttime Cruise M80RBNJ3G
Put a spring or something under the checkpoint, you don't use walljumps before it, so getting there with it above me made me think i took the wrong path, at the top of the clods, the goomba should be small, as jumping on a big goomba spawns 2 small, which went off screen for me, and I had to wait for it to come down, because I'm not jumping into an offscreen goomba. I didnt like having to wait for 2 red cannonballs to get to the cloud area.
Spooky Night, Holy Light 9CX9Y1WSG
When I loaded it up I thought, "Oh right, its that crouching level" I didn't like the claw "pick a path" (Yes, i know you are supposed to crouch, I did, it still got me, I am the dumb) If only there were a way to force big Mario and force the player to crouch twice so they don't just assume the light is tile based.
Just a couple of jumps 7BS-Y4D-6VG
Skip this, unless you rely on twitch or youtube for your livelihood, its stream bait. I played it for 7 minutes, which is how long it took you, so I guess you win or something.
Mr. Thwomp's Wild Ride K59-NXL-TSG
You may want to get off Mr. Thwomp's Wild Ride, if you play it. Spin jumps help (Up+R+Jump) Thank you for the checkpoint.
A Tree That Pierces the Heavens WX2-4GX-KYG
Wound up booing this because I was unaware that ultastar was a Kaizo world. Had you said it was a Kaizo level, I would not have boo'd.
The Legend of Zelda - Level 1 WGP-P4N-1SF
Level was fine, if annoying due to how cramped the space was.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I couldn't sleep this morning and wanted to explore the Koopa Car. Turns out that thing is a pain to work with, but I managed something.

This course is not for the faint of heart and you have to be a active part in the driving and bouncing. It's hard. It's flashy. It has a few tricks that'll surprise you. It's the
Big Stunt Skyline

Lemme know if you beat it because posting for fun aside- it is pretty rough. I tried to signpost everything with coins or arrows so you know what's coming up but I'm not sure how much that helps with this item.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Sorry, looks like I swapped the codes around when using the form: W8S-X05-XPF is meant to be the wriggler castle, but you likely searched P98-YH3-SBG which is my donut world one

Fair enough, when I wake up I'll give it a play!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I couldn't sleep this morning and wanted to explore the Koopa Car. Turns out that thing is a pain to work with, but I managed something.

This course is not for the faint of heart and you have to be a active part in the driving and bouncing. It's hard. It's flashy. It has a few tricks that'll surprise you. It's the
Big Stunt Skyline

Lemme know if you beat it because posting for fun aside- it is pretty rough. I tried to signpost everything with coins or arrows so you know what's coming up but I'm not sure how much that helps with this item.

I beat it. Some tough timings in the first two areas aside they weren't too bad but the third area took several attempts through both death and resets. The first time I made it to Meowser I smacked into him. Not sure if that was due to awkward timing or RNG since I did clear everything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Dismal Dawn: Gave this a few shots. Couldn't tolerate it. I actually don't think the level design is bad at a glance but an aggressively paced autoscroller is difficult to pull off. The real problem to me is that you precede it with 20 seconds of platforming through an intro which is fine itself but very tedious on repeats. Really needs a checkpoint there.

A checkpoint is literally impossible since you cannot set one in levels with a goal. Since I was trying to build a small story of climbing a mountain to kill the sun, I didn't want to abandon the intro section. I did try to make it as painless as possible, though. I also wanted a reaction from the level starting up and the players being told to kill the sun so that excluded just giving it a key.

I don't blame anyone who finds the autoscroller rough though I tried to give plenty of time and wide, roomy platforms for it. I dumped a twister section because they're way too erratic and just left one easy boost off one in. That's medium speed scrolling, BTW. I started designing around high speed (since you can't be vertical and use custom scrolling) and found it unplayably unpleasant.

Greader posted:

Also, it seems like the statistics for however many people played a level either takes a while to update or something. I was busy with other games so all I did was check my maker profile but either it didn't update those yet, or I need to close the game/do other stuff for it to do so.

I'm sure there's some propagation delay, but I upload levels and then assuming goons try it I get a notification within ten minutes along with stat updates. It doesn't occur while you're playing, of course, so you might have to back out to course world to see it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Big Stunt Skyline

Well, I beat it. And it confirmed for me the discussion in the thread that the koopa car is not a good part. With only some minor quibbles (which might be things that you intended or are okay with), this was as solid of platforming as the car could get and it still has mechanical problems. I found myself plowing into and killing the spring guys instead of bouncing off them in the first section and in the final bouncing I could make the first two Banzai Bills while ramming into Boom-Boom. Jumping with the car basically felt really sloppy. I noticed that I didn't need to switch your conveyors, I could complete the jumps without hitting the on/off switches just find since leaving the conveyor seemed to give the car the same "full speed" momentum.

Only a little bit of that is on your design. It's just that car is a lemon.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 4, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Here's my Game Jam submission.

Name: Don't Switch the Switch!

A semi-puzzle level where you're trying not to hit the switches.

A bit janky, fairly difficult, and I'm not really happy that I had to kinda ditch the mechanic to make a boss fight that worked, but I'm happy enough with it to submit it. Not my best work, but I liked the concept too much to throw it away.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Levels I'm working on right now:

Mario Ragnarok: An adaptation of Thor Ragnarok

Mario's Awakening: Tail Cave

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Padomyme posted:

3VF-KHQ-8FG
Small training type Kaizo upside down course with like 3 or 4 tech pieces, not overly difficult since there's only a few places you can really die.

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get enough momentum for the spin jump section after the bomb ladder

edit: lol nevermind, I got it. I was just jumping too late. Cool level though, I now have like a 50/50 success rate for upside down shell jumps. Still suck at pow drops though.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 4, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I need inspiration. Somebody post a Mario type (NES, 3, etc.), two terrain features, a gizmo, and am enemy to base a level around. Then I'll upload the monstrosity and beg forgiveness.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

d3lness posted:

I need inspiration. Somebody post a Mario type (NES, 3, etc.), two terrain features, a gizmo, and am enemy to base a level around. Then I'll upload the monstrosity and beg forgiveness.

World, Bricks, Spikes, P-Switches, Wigglers.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Mario 1, steep slopes (no flat land allowed) and ice blocks, tracks and magikoopas.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

d3lness posted:

SMB, Blocks, Wing Blocks, Rails, and Hammer Bros.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
A major skill people need to learn to develop (and this holds true not just to mario maker but to level design in general) is to not confuse something that is easy for you, the creator, to pull off because you know it's coming and you have the muscle memory to get through an obstacle, with how the player will encounter it.

It's fine when you're trying to INTENTIONALLY make a course that relies on tough muscle memory stuff - but I see a LOT of levels (my own included) that exhibit this trait of unintentional toughness because we forget that we know what the safety zones/solutions/etc are but the players won't.

This mainly applies if you're trying to exercise good level design skills and structure levels to train the player in what you want them to do in challenging their skills. I.e. levels where you're trying to craft a satisfying experience for most people who will play it, even if it is a challenging course.

If you ~intentionally~ want to make a level that just throws the player in the deep end (be it a cryptic puzzle or a crazy boss battle or kaizo-ish challenge course etc etc etc) then cool. It's better to do something intentionally than unintentionally. (Emergent gameplay moments where the experience is elevated positively or at least made more interesting by something unintended notwithstanding.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Seesaws can’t be used to fling Mario across the map I take it? I’ve been playing with them but I can’t get them to do what I want.