Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meiteron posted:

Mechanics spoilers:

Periodically he will summon skulls along the outside of his vertical arena, which shoot lasers horizontally across it. One side fires, then the other side fires. Running into the horizontal segment where the first set of lasers fired is always safe from the second set.

is there a tell for which is going to fire first? I've only been there once but I didn't see one, like glowing eyes on the faces or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

discord posted:

Thancred has sex
Urianger doth copulate

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It doesn't matter if catbois are virgins and Galkas aren't just single cell organisms because everyone knows FF characters don't have sex.

Counterpoint: Y'shtola and Runar are definitely loving (minor Rak-tika spoilers)

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Countblanc posted:

is there a tell for which is going to fire first? I've only been there once but I didn't see one, like glowing eyes on the faces or something.

I don't think so, but quick reactions will keep damage to reasonable levels anyway. If I had to guess (and I haven't run it enough to confirm) if it did have a set starting side it would probably start firing on the same lines as the safe spots, to force you out of them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Counterpoint: Y'shtola and Runar are definitely loving (minor Rak-tika spoilers)

Not the impression I got, but she didn't savagely put him down so he's definitely got a shot.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Fister Roboto posted:

The impression I got is that they aren't, but goddamn does Runar have the best chance out of anyone we've seen in game. He flat out picked her up and carried her around and she was totally cool with it. That's far more of a chance than Little Sun has.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I need an orchestrion of The Twinning's music. :rock:

Arist posted:

I still don't understand the last boss of the 80 dungeon at all.

The tell for which side he's going to shoot lasers on? I didn't get that either. I just ran out whenever I got shot. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Thancred has sex 
Urianger fucks

I would like to remind you that my phrasing was:

Thancred makes love
Urianger fucks.

Tyvm

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I like how the post-game dungeons tie into the MSQ this time around. Also the final boss of The Twinning is amazing.

On the note of that boss, does anyone know what causes a Temporal Paradox? It seems completely random, and I had it go off during Magitek Crossray + Defensive Array last night, which was "interesting" to recover from.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Propagandist posted:

I think there's a mod to remove the aetherpack. I downloaded it and will give it a try tomorrow.

It annoys me, too.

It works. You have to use TexTools and just import a modpack.

https://textools.dualwield.net/

https://www.xivmodarchive.com/mod/hide_the_aetherpack

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mister No posted:

I've seen enough random NPC dialogue around Thanalan and La Noscea to know that FFXIV characters do indeed gently caress.

I just played the quest big trouble in little ala mhigo and they will gently caress whether you want them to or not

the quest starts with a gang rape

inferis fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 4, 2019

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I came back with expansion yay! uhh I think i need the discord again

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I kind of wish there was a DBM mod for this game. I'm on PS4 anyway, but I'm going through Stormblood now and feel like a complete idiot about once per boss fight in new dungeons. I've been using the wiki to look up the fights, is there a better WoWhead-like source?

Also, the quality of encounters from HW to SB is staggering (much like ARR to HW). The Primal fight with Susano was loving BADASS.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

inferis posted:

I just played the quest big trouble in little ala mhigo and they will gently caress whether you want them to or not

the quest starts with a gang rape and ends with you rescuing the leader of the rapists and forgiving him. Then you never hear from the woman ever again

That's... not what happens in that quest at all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I need an orchestrion of The Twinning's music. :rock:

It seems like the dungeon was designed as a vehicle for The Primals to use it as a set for a live show. In the best way. And then when they hit the first chord of Locus, Koji-Fox comes out in an Ironworks Alexander outfit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

It seems like the dungeon was designed as a vehicle for The Primals to use it as a set for a live show. In the best way. And then when they hit the first chord of Locus, Koji-Fox comes out in an Ironworks Alexander outfit.

I would be okay with this. All of the Level 80 dungeons have great music. Quetzalcoatl as a final boss was a big surprise, too.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 4, 2019

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Saigyouji posted:

That's... not what happens in that quest at all.

Just looked it up and yeah my reading comprehension is terrible

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Quetzacoatl as a final boss was a big surprise, too.

It gives me confidence that they're going to tie the Eden story into the lore way better than Omega.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Firstborn posted:

I kind of wish there was a DBM mod for this game. I'm on PS4 anyway, but I'm going through Stormblood now and feel like a complete idiot about once per boss fight in new dungeons. I've been using the wiki to look up the fights, is there a better WoWhead-like source?

Also, the quality of encounters from HW to SB is staggering (much like ARR to HW). The Primal fight with Susano was loving BADASS.

MTQcapture (I think that’s her channel name) is a solid pick for video walkthroughs of encounters in my opinion. She explains things well and in a pretty concise and easy to understand manner.

SB has some amazing design behind its trials in particular. I recommend you do the Four Lords sidequests when you reach 70 because those fights have some real spectacle to them in that way only Final fantasy can provide.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Oh dear lord no, DBM would wreck this game. Just watch a YouTube video from MTQCapture, she breaks down the fights and dungeon as a whole and explains every mechanic, so you can roll through the video before the dungeon and memorize key things.

Personally I like going in blind first unless it's a dungeon that's really made me struggle, though I will look up primal fights because there's just so many mechanics to memorize.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whatever you do dont watch MrHappy dungeon and raid guides. hes flat out wrong a lot of the time. MTQCapture glosses over a lot of mechanics with stuff like "dont stand in the poop" without saying what it actually does and if you can let healers adjust if you absolutely have to but shes still way better than MrHappy.

also if you're nervous about dungeons speak up in chat and get goons to run with you

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Do people still do the FFT content still? I'm super psyched about that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firstborn posted:

These are part of a very busy roulette with good rewards, so they're always being done.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Yep. I got Rabanastre in Roulette the other day.

Bosses die pretty fast now, though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

whatever you do dont watch MrHappy dungeon and raid guides. hes flat out wrong a lot of the time. MTQCapture glosses over a lot of mechanics with stuff like "dont stand in the poop" without saying what it actually does and if you can let healers adjust if you absolutely have to but shes still way better than MrHappy.

also if you're nervous about dungeons speak up in chat and get goons to run with you

MrHappy has this stupid weird compulsion where he absolutely has to have the fastest video done out there (gotta get that ad money) no matter how wrong his poo poo is. He's been called on it many times before and yet he hasn't changed yet.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

MrHappy has this stupid weird compulsion where he absolutely has to have the fastest video done out there (gotta get that ad money) no matter how wrong his poo poo is. He's been called on it many times before and yet he hasn't changed yet.

it leads to pubs doing stupid poo poo because of him. dudes an active detriment to the anime cat game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

iTrust posted:

MTQcapture (I think that’s her channel name) is a solid pick for video walkthroughs of encounters in my opinion. She explains things well and in a pretty concise and easy to understand manner.

yeah I honestly don't know what I'd do without those guides. I still wish FFXIV had something like a dungeon journal because especially when you're queueing for a roulette you might get one of dozens of dungeons/trials/raids and zero time to prepare and unless your group is nice enough to explain the mechanics it can be nearly impossible to tell how to do some of them right.

that said, I think they got better at making the mechanics intuitive (and use the same sorts of markers/telegraphs) around Stormblood? I went into a few of the level 70 dungeons blind and was pleasantly surprised when I could understand almost the mechanics save for a couple immediately

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The story is breathtaking, I never even particularly cared about it until this expansion.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I'm just sad we'll never get (80 MSQ spoilers) Amaurot housing. Let me live in the giant art deco city, Yoshi!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I went in blind every dungeon and trial of this expansion and had no problems. Even if you fail a mechanic it's usually non-lethal with some exceptions and it's obvious what you did wrong because they've refined the visual language in the game very well, so you can adjust when the mechanic comes up again. Guides are helpful but largely unnecessary until you reach extreme level content.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

that said, I think they got better at making the mechanics intuitive (and use the same sorts of markers/telegraphs) around Stormblood? I went into a few of the level 70 dungeons blind and was pleasantly surprised when I could understand almost the mechanics save for a couple immediately

They started to finalize their visual vocabulary around midway through Heavensward after Thordan Extreme. It was a lot looser before that point, but the overwhelming majority of content from late Heavensward onwards uses the same basic indicators with an occasional variation. It obviates a lot of the need for in-game dungeon guides, because you can generally figure out what the deal is through a combination of trial-and-error and watching the indicators closely.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Almost every mechanic is also introduced in a failure-proof setting, so you can see what it does without wiping. It only later during the fight starts combining mechanics to be dangerous.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

i really, really enjoy this expansion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thancred angsting over Minfilia not being his Minfilia is a bit Chris Hansen to me but I've not wanted to skip any cutscenes despite having no time to play anymore so that's quite the praise for ShB's main story from me imo.

I've only skipped one for a side quest with a lizard boy because au ra no ta

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Thancred angsting over Minfilia not being his Minfilia is a bit Chris Hansen to me but I've not wanted to skip any cutscenes despite having no time to play anymore so that's quite the praise for ShB's main story from me imo.

I've only skipped one for a side quest with a lizard boy because au ra no ta

Thancred's love for Source!Minfilia is entirely familial, something that gets emphasized in HW and repeatedly emphasized in ShB. Their relationship confused people because Thancred's backstory with her was entirely a 1.0 thing that only got mentioned once or twice in ARR, and because anime character ages are, like, Teen, Adult, and Comically Old, which makes it hard to discern that Thancred is many years her senior.

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Dancer is so rng.

50% chance to trigger A
50% chance for A to trigger B
50% chance for B to trigger C

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Just finished the MSQ. Amazing story, like everyone else has already said.

They've managed to make the sinister evil guys have a compelling backstory and believable, rational, (if evil) motivations. That's something not a lot of stories get to do right. In a lot of other games they would just be evil for evil's sake, or completely delusional, but everything they do makes sense. The ancient Ascians sacrificed themselves to save the world, and the only way to get them back is to reverse that sacrifice. Emet's motivations are completely relatable, but fundamentally oppose the heroes'. Very well done.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Saigyouji posted:

[=On the note of that boss, does anyone know what causes a Temporal Paradox? It seems completely random, and I had it go off during Magitek Crossray + Defensive Array last night, which was "interesting" to recover from.

Someone was running their face into suspended laser beams, disturbing anything timestopped causes the Temeporal Paradox Map AoE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Minor post-game spoilers:

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Fortunately for the realm Alphinaud really did miss his true calling as an artist